• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Ideal Master Eight tournament

Eevee903

You are awesome!
I honestly think we can all say that the Master Eight Tournament has disappointed us in one way or another. So how would you fix it?

What would you change of the following things:
-The members of the M8 (example: swap Steven for Wallace)
-The matchups ( example: Ash vs Alain instead of Leon vs Alain)
-The continuity ( example: let Wallace watch Ash vs Steven, since Wallace adores Ash so much and hates Steven)
-The Pokémon that fight (example:reserves?)
-The format (example: 2vs2 instead of three vs three)

Sham

The Guardian of War
I mostly would keep the same format.

I don’t the match ups are necessarily bad jus the execution.

First match made sense

Second match shouldn’t made Lance a dummy and actually involving dodging instead of just waiting be attacked

For the most part I’m content with the third round but wow Dragonite completely useless in every aspect.

The last match also shares similar issues with the Lance and Diantha with lack of dodging although Gengar did do that.

If I had to make an edit replace 6th with Palmer, Wallace or Brandon

GLTSRY

Sorry not sorry for my smugness
I would wish for more build-up to the tournament. Make Ash meet the other participants throughout his journey and sporadically give us information about their results (eg. open up episode 108 with Alain’s Charizard defeating an E4 ace which causes Ash to seek out Greninja). Most participants came out of nowhere.

Additionally to this, gave them more focus episodes. Show us Lance’s G-Men activities, Alain researching ME or Steven traveling through Alola to learn more about Z-Crystals.

Have the first round be more meaningful: Ash vs Lance with Brock and Misty giving Ash strategies before the battle or Alain vs Diantha to decide who the strongest Kalos trainer is.

And yeah, have reserves used throughout JN and have DP/XY levels of battles, please.

STICKTOPIA

I’m not a fan of dracovish and sirfetch’d, so I’d swap those two with literally almost any of his reserves.

Sham

The Guardian of War
I also think Journeys is perfectly aware that their battles are bad and just simply given up.

There’s a saying: “If people are gonna talk, give them something to talk about”

Negative publicity is still publicity and the viewership and interacting still looks the same thing. It’s the same reason why hate watching never works

nuzamaki90

I’ve enjoyed the Masters Tournament all the way through so far, it hasn’t managed to disappoint me at all honestly.

If anything I’d definitely kick Alain out and replace him with someone with a little more stature like Palmer or Anabel. Maybe even put in a game character that hasn’t appeared yet like Benga or Mustard. In terms of matchups I’d keep Ash Vs Steven and Iris VS Cynthia but have Alain battle Diantha and Lance get his rematch with Leon.

Sham

The Guardian of War
I’ve enjoyed the Masters Tournament all the way through so far, it hasn’t managed to disappoint me at all honestly.

If anything I’d definitely kick Alain out and replace him with someone with a little more stature like Palmer or Anabel. Maybe even put in a game character that hasn’t appeared yet like Benga or Mustard. In terms of matchups I’d keep Ash Vs Steven and Iris VS Cynthia but have Alain battle Diantha and Lance get his rematch with Leon.
Correct if I’m wrong but didn’t Diantha and Alain have a battle when he won a league albeit off screen?

nuzamaki90

Correct if I’m wrong but didn’t Diantha and Alain have a battle when he won a league?
Not at all. The League got attacked by tree branches before any Champion League shenanigans could happen then afterwards Alain got arrested and did a reset after giving up his Mega Ring and Charizardite.

Pepito Chillito

I was waiting for this kind of thread and I didn't want to start it myself, so yay.

My ideal M8 would be:

Ash
Leon (not really but he is the one guy I accept has to be here)
Cynthia
Paul
Tobias
Alder
Lance
Brandon

Not related by I would have had Ash's first Elite four win be against someone from Kanto. Probably Lorelei...

Sham

The Guardian of War
Not at all. The League got attacked by tree branches before any Champion League shenanigans could happen then afterwards Alain got arrested and did a reset after giving up his Mega Ring and Charizardite.
No I get that, I mean like a theoretical battle afterwards. Doesn’t beating the league entitle you to challenging the Champion?

nuzamaki90

No I get that, I mean like a theoretical battle afterwards. Doesn’t beating the league entitle you to challenging the Champion?
We never know if he challenged her or not. Given that he’s ranked below her and she’s still the Champion, if he did he definitely lost.

AJ97

I honestly think we can all say that the Master Eight Tournament has disappointed us in one way or another. So how would you fix it?

What would you change of the following things:

-The members of the M8 (example: swap Steven for Wallace)
Swap Alain with Gary (Revealing Gary as the new Kanto Champion) and make Alain Ash's Final Opponent in the Hyper Class.
-The matchups ( example: Ash vs Alain instead of Leon vs Alain)
Matchups:
1) Leon vs Lance - Leon W
2) Diantha vs Gary - Gary W
3) Iris vs Cynthia - Cynthia W
4) Steven vs Ash - Ash W

-The continuity ( example: let Wallace watch Ash vs Steven, since Wallace adores Ash so much and hates Steven)

-The Pokémon that fight (example:reserves?)
-The format (example: 2vs2 instead of three vs three)
Format (Assume 3v3, 6v6, 6v6) - Round 1 (1 gimmick allowed), Round 2 (2 gimmicks allowed), Finals (No Limit)

I'm not going to factor in Ash using reserves as this should've been something Ash must've started from the Hyper Class or ideally from his Iris match (After Learning she's a Regional Champion) and should've continued until the end of the tournament. Hence, I assume Ash is going to stick to his Journey's team (Outside of 1 pokemon) throughout the tournament.

First set of Matches

1) Round 1: Lance vs Leon (Revenge Match (As Lance was second Last season, no reason why he shouldn't push Leon this time around))
Lance decides to come up with a new strategy to defeat Leon with the Latter coming in Less series and taking the battle lightly. Lances comes in with a Mega-Evolution (Either MCY or Mega Salamance), replacing one member on his Team and being very strategic in the Leon fight and getting the advantage over Leon by taking out 2 of his Pokemon.
Leon is left with Charizard and also doesn't have G-Max anymore as he wasted it on Rilaboom and is in a pickle. Then we have Leon get serious and fight his way through 3 of Lance's Pokemon with Base Charizard.

2) Round 2: Gary vs Diantha
Diantha team: Aurorus, Gourguist, Mega Gardevoir
Gary's team: Nidoqueen, Umbreon, Mega Blastoise
Very strategic battle with both trainers using clever maneuvers from both sides. Gary finally comes out on top.

3) Round 3: Iris vs Cynthia
Replace Iris's Dragonite with Reshiram/Zekrom and showcase her Dragon Bond gimmick by allowing her to control this pokemon.
This is assuming we have the same Iris vs Ash we had in the series. Assuming we have a different version of Iris vs Ash where the latter brings in Reserves and has a much more intense fight (And we also see Iris's credibility established by seeing her take out an E4 member or someone powerful, ) then she should have G-Max Lapras as her secret Ace against Cynthia.
Would make Iris seem more smarter/strategic.
And in the new final ace battle (Zekrom/Reshiram vs Garchomp/ G-Max Lapras vs Garchomp) - Base Garchomp is actually threatened and Cynthia decides to get series and Mega evolves and win.
Unlike the current scenario where Cynthia does it only out of respect and not because she needed to.

4) Round 4: Ash vs Steven
Frankly, I liked a lot of the Ash vs Steven battle. The main changes I would make would be to the Pikachu vs Metagross battle.
Firstly, I'd have Ash use Electroweb + Quick attacks to raise its speed and catch up to Metagross to Land Hits only for Steven to get taken back a bit and then counter it.

GLTSRY

Sorry not sorry for my smugness
Swap Alain with Gary (Revealing Gary as the new Kanto Champion)
Why should Gary become the new Kanto champion though? He retired from battling at the end of OS and showed no intention of returning to being a trainer in his DP cameo, where he even jobbed against Team Galactic.

Ash vs Alain: Ash-Greninja beats MCX
Oh boy I could have fun with this

AJ97

Why should Gary become the new Kanto champion though? He retired from battling at the end of OS and showed no intention of returning to being a trainer in his DP cameo, where he even jobbed against Team Galactic.
3 reasons.

1) Assuming this is Ash's Last series, it would be iconic and a nice tribute to have Ash's OG Rival also be back in his final tournament.

2) His connection to Blue in the Games. Iris's anime character was completely different from the games, yet she was written as the Regional Champion because of this connection.

3) G-Max Blastoise vs G-Max Charizard Semi-Final Fight.

In all seriousness, Gary is a Pokemon Researcher who still actively trains and maintains a reasonably powerful team. He did defeat Post Battle Frontier Ash and he was more or less always shown as someone capable enough to keep up with Ash in battle (Despite him retiring as you said).
Rather than wasting him on the Project Mew stuff, it would've been more interesting if they made him enter the PWC (In Hopes of Getting Stronger for his Research Purposes). Maybe Gary is researching Legendary Pokemon and decided he needed to get Stronger and hence works on becoming the Kanto Champion -> Enters the PWC etc.

Plus, would've been interested to see a new side of Gary battling where we see him leverage his newly gained expertise from all of his research.

Considering this was done with Iris, I don't see why they couldn't have done this with Gary.

Aleisterblack123

- I wouldn't change the members, they are perfect as it is (Maybe Paul instead of Iris?)
- I would DEFINITELY change the first round matchups. Ash vs Alain; Iris vs Cynthia; Lance vs Steven/Diantha, Leon vs Steven/Diantha
- The continuity is fine to me. I enjoyed the cameos that we got. Some people were missing though (Wallace, Harrison, Ash's Sinnoh rivals,...).
- I would probably only use his most popular and strongest reserves like Greninja and Infernape, not everyone can be used in the M8 after all.
- The format is fine if you use a full episode, not the type of episode where you try to squeeze too much in one episode and only use 10 minutes for a 3v3 battle (looking at Alain vs Leon). Diantha vs Leon also isn't looking good so far.

The battles should also be better animated. This is the M8, champions are fighting champions and so far the battles have been very mid in my opinion. Leon vs Alain was rushed, Alain didn't deserve that; Diantha vs Lance had stiff animation, good strategies from Diantha's part though; Iris vs Cynthia was handled the best, only complaint is how poor dragonite performed and finally Ash vs Steven was underwhelming with the way some pokemon got knocked out + how bs that the Z-move suddenly became a homing missile and Metagross getting screwed over because of that. He was dominating that little mouse. Also more build-up for the M8 members. Show them winning a PWC match for example and let Ash have more interractions with them.

Last edited:

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Members:
Ash
Iris
Alain
AJ
Giselle
Lillie
Harrison
Tobias
Leon sits out until the final round, similar to the Kalos Queen master class. Also no other Champions are in this because most of them are boring imo.
Ash should have been using his Pokémon from the past series instead of using his current team.
No breaks or clip shows or fillers in the middle of the tournament.
Better paced and better animated battles.
Also Lillie wins and beats Leon as well.