• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Individual

OJG

r u not entertained
The Individual (Prologue re-written 5/8)

Author's note; This is my first story. I have written stories for school but never about Pokemon. Hopefully you will enjoy. Also, I need someone to proofread and assess my plot plans, any takers?

Comments appreciated.

Story edited 5/08/08. Story may now be rated a PG-13 for murder-related storylines.

-------------------------------------------------

The Individual

Prologue

Graduation Day had finally come for the teenagers of Hoenn. Today, they would be accepted by the Pokemon League as official trainers and be admitted to challenge the 8 Gym Leaders of the region. The ceremony was to take place inside the Rustboro Town Hall.

Outside, leaning up against the walls of the building, stood James. In the mandatory suit for graduation, he stood alone. He brushed his light brown hair back, tightened his tie and walked calmly into the hall, and sat alone in the front row.

James had always been a quiet character. In his younger years, he had been wild and outgoing, but he had turned serious with the introduction of school. He had friends, and was a friendly person, but when it came to school he was all business. Whilst relatively good looking, he never seemed much interested in love. The girls seemed to like him, enjoy his company, and complement him on his style and good looks, yet he never saw them as anything more than friends. When it came to having guy friends, the only thing that connected him to them was sports. Unlike the other boys, he disliked alcohol and cigarettes, which separated him from the pack. Sports were the only way he connected to them; he was a natural all-rounder, he was good at, amongst other things, athletics and swimming. However, his first love was Pokemon, and he wanted to become a trainer.

On March 23rd, it was ruled in the region of Hoenn that no child under the age of sixteen was to leave home with intent to challenge the eight gym leaders and to challenge the Elite Four of Hoenn. The rule was enforced after a series of murders all occurring in the Hoenn region to young ten or eleven year-olds. Specifically, in this area, Max Sapphire from Petalburg, was pronounced missing and later found dead in the lake at Route 110. It was heard by the court that young Max had ventured through the towns of Rustboro, Dewford and Slateport before attempting to get to Mauville on the grass path one night, where he was allegedly pushed from the path and into the water, which at the time had fast currents and many Pokemon lurking beneath the waves.

He was found on the 12th January after a week of searching on the seafloor. The autopsy showed that he had drowned because of his inability to swim. The Pokemon he had on him, thought to be a Linoone and a Ralts, had been stolen, as well as his two gym badges. The parents of Max, one notably the gym leader in Petalburg, were unavailable to comment, but were known to be ‘deeply distressed’ by the incident. His sister, legendary coordinator May Sapphire, is though to have returned from the Sinnoh region to the family home in Littleroot.

This was one of many murders dotted around the Hoenn region. This evil crime organization (identity unknown) had killed a total of twenty-one ten or eleven year-olds within the space of no more than two weeks. However, it is unknown whether all the murders were perpetrated by the same organization or by several. The murderers used several different ways of killing the trainers; and after which they stole their badges and Pokemon. The murder of Max had come as a shock, specifically to the area around Petalburg as Max was known as a bright young trainer who could have gone as far as the Pokemon League Championships. He was hard-working and ingenious; he had a Pokedex but very rarely used it; he knew about most of the Pokemon in Hoenn from years of reading.

The event happened seven years ago. James, who had been acquainted with Max for several years, had been waiting in the wings eager to go on a journey and follow in the footsteps of his friend Max, as well as the many trainers he had met that had passed through Littleroot over the years.

James, then a nine year old, was now a mature and able sixteen year old. Now, in order to embark on a journey the trainer must be educated and pass their subjects, including; PE, which involved swimming, running and self defence courses; Pokemon battling or coordinating, using rental Pokemon; as well as the basic subject such as English, Pokemon Biology, and General Health. James had passed all of these exams with ease; he was naturally bright. He could now begin his journey.

It was Graduation Day for the Year 11 students at the Rustboro Academy. The Graduation ceremony was usually followed by the families hastily retreating home, where the trainer would typically be awarded his starter Pokemon.

This however, wasn’t the case for James. As a child, he had found a young Sandshrew, abandoned by a trainer supposedly, and his parents had allowed him to adopt it. It had not been liable to battle and train, but James loved his Sandshrew more than anything else. Sandshrew was to become the starter of James. It had a pokeball, but predominantly stayed outside of the ball around the house.

The Graduation began, and the mayor of Hoenn announced the teenagers as new Pokemon trainers and coordinators. They were handed a diploma (as is typical of all graduations) and a trainer specific card; it had the full name, date of birth, occupation (whether it be trainer, breeder, or coordinator) and qualifications. This card was to be accepted by all eight gyms of the Pokemon league. The mayor said some brief words, outlining that this generation could be this best he had ever witnessed, and that he wished each and every one of them good luck.

Everyone exited, and the families disembarked from the building. James and his family flew back to their home on the Skarmory of James’ father. There, James was greeted by a tearful Sandshrew, who came up to him crying and jumped up to hug James.

The house was in disarray, turned upside down. The sofa’s were tipped, the draws open, windows smashed. As they assessed the damages, James walked into his room. On the wall was spray-painted a giant letter ‘R’.

James had realised why Sandshrew was crying. The ‘R’ symbol had no meaning to him, yet as his father bolted in between rooms, his eye caught the sight of the giant, red, dripping letter. His face went ice cold, and as white as paper.

“Team Rocket. This cannot be, Red of the Kanto region finished them way back. An underground resurgence? This is too hard to believe, it must be a hoax.” James’ dad mumbled to himself, in horror and disbelief.

“Dad? What are you saying? Is this THE Team Rocket, you always spoke of when I was young, in the stories?”

“Yes, yes it is James.”

“I always thought that Red had defeated Giovanni in Viridian City and from there, Team Rocket spiralled into non-existence. Are they back?”

“It seems as much. Call the police; I think we know who had done these murders. We have a suspect.”

James hastily picked up the phone, dialled 989, and spoke quickly to the officer, who raced down from Oldale Town Police Department.

The policewoman assessed the damages, viewed the spray-painted letter, and made her opinion known.

“We think that Team Rocket has been secretly establishing itself for seven years. They started with the children, and now they are publicising their presence. What they have been doing in between is unknown, they could have done what they did in the past; infiltrating popular organizations in order to gain power. Why would they do it to you specifically however? Have you anything rare or special in your home?”

James’ dad suddenly realised. He scrambled towards his bedroom, opened the second from bottom draw on his bedside table, and let out a tearful sob.

The rest of the people in the house ran into the room. The man of the house was sitting sombrely on the bed.

“It’s gone; the family heirloom. The space rock that my father had found as a young trainer in Mossdeep City, they’ve taken it. That rock was priceless, especially to me. My father had handed it to me on his death bed, saying that it had some sort of power, but he never got around to telling me what it was. Rocket must know.”

“Dad, let me find them. You know I am ready, you have seen my progress and you understand that I can do this. Like Red all those years ago, will you let me, with the help of the Hoenn Police force, take down Rocket? I’m not sure what they’re doing with the rock, their motives, or whereabouts they are, but I will get the rock back.”

“Son, this is too dangerous. You alone cannot take on a force as powerful as Team Rocket.”

“What makes me so different from Red, Dad? I can do this. Please, just let me help the police in finding these evil people before they ruin Hoenn.”

“Ok, son. I have faith in you. Stay safe, if you have any problems, don’t hesitate to call me or the police. I will be there alongside you as soon as I can get there.”

James turned to his mother. She just smiled and embraced him, tears streaming down her cheeks.

He turned to his dad again, who he hugged, then winked at. His dad winked back, and James, almost reluctantly, walked out of the door.

He didn’t turn back. He missed his home already. As he walked alongside his loyal Sandshrew, he felt more alone than ever.

Last edited:
That was a really cool chapter. The beginning was interesting because I've always wondered how ten year olds can just leave home and travel the country without having any problems.

I'm not really big on correcting spelling/grammar errors in fanfics, and I don't even look for them, but from what I saw everything looks fine to me.

I think I'm going to like this story, keep it up!

IceKing

Sexorific!
The rule was enforced after a young boy from Petalburg Town, Max Sapphire, was pronounced missing and later found dead in the lake at Route 110.

Ugg! Stupid dead kids ALWAYS ruin the fun. Although back in the 70s when I had my trainer fic, I had the exact same plot point--except the aggravating incident was massive Team Rocket operations that killed about a dozen kids.

mayor of Hoenn

Why would an entire region encompassing over 10 cities only have a mayor? A governor or president maybe

You are the future gym leaders, the contest masters, the Champions of this region and the next.

Or the losers who try and prevent you from leaving a city until you get the gym badge

James and his families flew back to their home

He's got more than one family? I wonder if that means more than one allowance =D /incredibly bad joke

Towards the beginning of this story the writing seemed really informational. Its probably not the best way to start your fic by just giving a dull recitation of the nature of the pokemon journeys in your universe. It would probably be better to incorporate such information throughout the prologue in bits and pieces rather than getting it all out of the way first. In my opinion, I think your prologue should introduce the reader to the main character and give them a feel of what’s to come. We don’t really have any feel for James as a character at all apart from the fact that he’s 16, passed his basic classes, and has a Sandshrew. Maybe it would have been better had you started with a scene that introduced James—maybe him waiting at the graduation ceremony, talking with his friends, eager about what’s to come.

The scene where he finds his house in disarray seemed a bit rushed too. There’s not really much time for the severity of the situation to sink in. And wouldn’t his father have some objection to James running off after Team Rocket who have had a history of using deadly force against children? Just some food for thought.

I wish you the best of luck as you write your story. Remember to flesh out your universe by not only just telling us about what’s going on—but showing it to us. Let’s hear some dialogue, see some action, get an indirect feel by your telling the story of James living in this dark pokeworld.

OJG

r u not entertained
Thank you both.

The reason of thelack of detail in the second half is simply loss of flow. I'm contemplating re-writing it, because it is most certainly rushed.

Families, typo, and evidence of lack of flow. Probably got up to make toast before I finished the sentance :p

Mayor, very good point. Although, I suppose Hoenn is like an American state. It only has approx. 15 cities/towns.

I think I will re-write the story. Re-order the parts, describe a bit more.

(Shall I scrap the original post and just replace it with 're-written version to be added', or add a post to this thread with the updated version?)

Phantom Gardevoir

Alphonse's Wifey XD
I say rewrite it if you feel that's best.

Overall, not bad for your first Pokemon fanfic so far. In fact, I rather enjoyed the concept. I've always been a bit annoyed that ten year olds travel at such a young age. My mother wouldn't let me go on a Pokemon journey, unless I was at least 21!!

You've got a good start, and I'm only imagining what's next. Good luck with this! You've helped me, too. I just may post my first Pokemon fanfic here, too.

Silawen

Fanfiction Critic
Since you're going to rewrite it, I won't point out the technical errors - grammar, punctuation, that kind of thing - but instead focus on the plot and logic a bit. Mostly, the reason given for the change in age.

Now, your reasoning is that a young boy had been pushed off the path into a lake, where he drowned because he couldn't swim. So the age was upped to sixteen.

I don't find that completely plausible. One, there would have to be a lot more instances of death for a rule that has lasted so long to be changed. One death in I don't know how many years is a good average, unfortunate or not. There have been deaths in rollercoasters, but they didn't get restricted. There has to be a significant rise in fatalities before such a measure would be taken. One death wouldn't do that.

Two, Max was <i>pushed</i>. He was pushed by an evil organistion. That's not something anyone has control over and it's not something consistent with pokémon journeys. He was in the wrong place at the wrong time, that's it. There is no blame to be found with the region for this, only with humans. Instead of upping the age, they would probably go hunt Team Rocket instead.

(I have to wonder, though, how they came to the TR pushing him conclusion, since he was alone and I doubt he had time to send a message telling anyone this.)

Three, Max couldn't swim. He died because he couldn't keep afloat, not because he was attacked by wild pokémon, or anything related to the gym challenge. It's his own fault, for not learning how to swim. It would probably lead to a rule declaring all ten year olds have to know how to swim, but nothing more.

Four, do you think a sixteen year ould would be able to keep an evil organisation from pushing him? No. All it would lead to is more fences in rough areas and the hunting of TR.

I think you have to consider your story a bit, especially because the rule doesn't seem to mean much. Any trainer who has no intention of competing in the gym challenge could still travel. Or they could travel from the age of ten, until they were sixteen and obliterate the gyms with their well-trained pokémon. You would have to be more specific.

That's it for me. Good luck!

OJG

r u not entertained
The re-written prologue is up!

Can't believe I was already on the 3rd page :/

BUMP ;)

Ri-Chan

♚ get s l e a z y
Yes, there were a few minor grammatical errors, but the first prolouge tured out great, and it was longer and more descrpitive than many others.

Ri-Chan

♚ get s l e a z y
U SAID U WANTED ME TO POINT OUT THE GRAMMATICAL ERRORS, the only to i found out were these.

He didn’t turn back. He missed his home already. As he walked alongside his loyal Sandshrew, he felt more alone than ever.

Its along-side, not alongside.

And you usd alot of commas, so cut down on those. other than that, its pretty good.

Thé Individual Réviéw - Prologué

Okay. This is quite good. I'm feeling in a reviewing mood, so let's get to work! I can't find many gramattical errors (or what I consider to be errors) so I'm mostly going to focus on plot, structure and point out funny things in a sarcastic manner. I know I'm going to be sarcastic even before I start, Is that bad?

Anyway... *Knuckles down to work*

Hopefully you will enjoy. Also, I need someone to proofread and assess my plot plans, any takers?

Why not?

Graduation Day had finally come for the teenagers of Hoenn.

While after reading this, I know that by 'teenagers' you are referring to sixeen year olds. But this is your first sentence. When I first read this I got a vision of an amalgamtion of people, ranging from thirteen to ninteen (average teenagers). Since nobody knows that it is only sixteen year olds at this point, it would be best to inform them.

Outside, leaning up against the walls of the building, stood James. In the mandatory suit for graduation, he stood alone. He brushed his light brown hair back, tightened his tie and walked calmly into the hall, and sat alone in the front row.

Good old, classy, rebellious main character who is only adhering to the traditions of society as only not to distrupt it and bring attention to himself. At least, that the feeling I got from this description...

Unlike the other boys, he disliked alcohol and cigarettes, which separated him from the pack.

He isn't cool! He doesn't deserve them! Alcohol and cigarettes are only for cool people who like society and boozing up girls for fun. Obviously, James has never heard of a social life.

On March 23rd, it was ruled in the region of Hoenn that no child under the age of sixteen was to leave home with the intent to challenge the Eight Gym Leaders, and to then challenge the Elite Four of Hoenn.

Ok, a couple of things here.

When I find a spelling mistake/ (what I deem to be a)missing word, I will bold it. If I find something intresting, I will underline it. With this in mind, let's continue.

While I get what March the 23rd means (I'd be an idiot not to), it sounds like you are taking us on a history lesson, deviating away completely from where you were going a paragraph earlier. If you wanted to give us a history lesson, you should have began with it, rather than interrupting some guy sitting in a hall waiting to graduate (who has probably been learning history whilst he was at school).

Earlier in the story, you referred to the Gym Leaders as "8 Gym Leaders", yet here it is "eight Gym Leaders". Keep consitant with how you descibe organizations or titles. I also capitalize the Eight as to make it a 'proper' title.

The rule was enforced, after a series of murders, occurring within the Hoenn region to young ten or eleven year-olds.

There is no need for the word 'young'. I think that all people would associate the word young to ten and eleven year olds, unless you don't... Also, while we know it was trainers, some people may think that it was just random kids who were just standing around doing nothing.

It was heard by the court that young Max had ventured through the towns of Rustboro, Dewford and Slateport before attempting to get to Mauville on the grass path one night, where he was allegedly pushed from the path and into the water, which at the time had fast currents and many Pokemon lurking beneath the waves.

Woah, woah, woah. who knew that a sentence could be that long? 57 in all. As other people have pointed out, this 'pushed' is merely speculation. He could have tripped. He could have been grabbed by a Tentacruel and dragged down to the murky depths of Route 110. Both of these scenarios are just as being 'pushed' in. Once again, merely speculation as you used the word 'allegedly'. What evidence was there that he was pushed? Did they find a massive handprint on his decomposing body? Did they find a note that said "Ha Ha. We pushed you. Signed, Anonomous Criminal Syndicate.". All speculation.

The autopsy showed that he had drowned because of his inability to swim. The Pokémon he had on him, thought to be a Linoone and a Ralts, had been stolen, as well as his two Gym Badges.

Of course he died because he couldn't swim. If he had died of old age I would have been shocked. OH NOEZ! People are stealing badges to fight the E4, where they would be massivly out classed because they never fought a Gym Leader.

The parents of Max, one notably the gym leader in Petalburg, were unavailable to comment, but were known to be ‘deeply distressed’ by the incident. His sister, legendary coordinator May Sapphire, is though to have returned from the Sinnoh region to the family home in Littleroot.

Heh. From reading this, I finally realized that you were doing it in the style of a newspaper. My mistake. My earlier points still stand.

This was one of many murders dotted around the Hoenn region. This evil crime organization (identity unknown) had killed a total of twenty-one ten or eleven year-olds within the space of no more than two weeks. However, it is unknown whether all the murders were perpetrated by the same organization or by several.

...Speculation...There are so many instance of speculation here...I'm not even going to try and do this part...

The murderers used several different ways of killing the trainers; and after which they stole their badges and Pokemon. The murder of Max had come as a shock, specifically to the area around Petalburg as Max was known as a bright young trainer who could have gone as far as the Pokemon League Championships.

Can you give us a few examples of the ways they were killed? We know that drowning was a favourite, but what about others? Were the killer/s suffocating them? Ripping spines out with their bare hands? Recruiting space grasshoppers from Planet Blargh to do their dirty work? We have no idea.

Your second sentence is a standard in all newspapers. It's the 'Let's all say how good someone is once they died, when they were actually fat, drunken morons!'. While my little rant has nothing to with with you story... I just don't like them...

He was hard-working and ingenious; he had a Pokedex but very rarely used it; he knew about most of the Pokemon in Hoenn from years of reading.

Once again. Look up.

The Graduation ceremony was usually followed by the families hastily retreating home, where the trainer would typically be awarded his starter Pokemon.

What? What about good old Professor Tree who only gives out three Pokémon a year? What happened to him? Is he out of a job? Don't worry Birch, I still like you!

It had a Pokéball, but predominantly stayed outside of the ball around the house.

Why do all the first Pokémon do this? Is it in built into them to 'I must be very friendly and hate my Pokéball'?

They were handed a diploma (as is typical of all graduations) and a trainer specific card; it had the full name, date of birth, occupation (whether it be trainer, breeder, or coordinator) and qualifications.

Jeez, can a guy change what he wants to be? What if I suddenly want to change from being a co-ordinator to a trainer because I suck? What will happen then? Will I be refused and spend the rest of my life being a crappy co-ordinator, get depress and die at the age of 30?

This card was to be accepted by all eight gyms of the Pokemon League.

What if you are a trainer? Don't you get any special privelages where you can go? So co-ordinators can battle Gyms, but trainers can't enter contests. This is RACISM! (Or some form of it)

The mayor said some brief words, outlining that this generation could be this best he had ever witnessed, and that he wished each and every one of them good luck.

As usual

Everyone exited, and the families disembarked from the building. James and his family flew back to their home on the Skarmory of James’ father.

How many people are there in his family? We know there are at least 3. But what about grandparents, aunts, uncle, nephews, nieces, cousins who may have come to see James' crowning glory. Even with 3 people, it would be impossible for Skarmory to fly them all home. Because as seen in the anime, there is basically only enough space to sit one.

The house was in disarray, turned upside down.

I got a reall funny (and obvious) thing to say here. But I won't.

On the wall was spray-painted a giant letter ‘R’.

I wonder who it is. OH NOEZ! Could it be the deadly, deadly international crime syndicate who's main mission is to kill you people and steal their stuff. Looks like they've moved down in the world. They're now vandals, rather than cold-blooded killers.

“Team Rocket. This cannot be, Red of the Kanto region finished them way back. An underground resurgence? This is too hard to believe, it must be a hoax.” James’ dad mumbled to himself, in horror and disbelief.

Yes, lets question our knowledge and inform readers about undisclosed information about the history of said Team Rocket.

“I always thought that Red had defeated Giovanni in Viridian City and from there, Team Rocket spiralled into non-existence. Are they back?”

Obviously... STOP GOING OVER HISTORY WHEN YOU KNOW THE ANSWERS!

“It seems as much. Call the police; I think we know who had done these murders. We have a suspect.”

It's not a suspect. You know who did it. Also, how can you link a series of murders seven years earlier to a robbed house in seconds? Dad can. He must be a Grade-A detective.

“We think that Team Rocket has been secretly establishing itself for seven years. They started with the children, and now they are publicising their presence. What they have been doing in between is unknown, they could have done what they did in the past; infiltrating popular organizations in order to gain power. Why would they do it to you specifically however? Have you anything rare or special in your home?”

Correction. Grade-B detective with knowledge about internal police speculation.

“It’s gone; our family heirloom. The space rock that my father had found as a young trainer in Mossdeep City, they’ve taken it. That rock was priceless, especially to me. My father had handed it to me on his death bed, saying that it had some sort of power, but he never got around to telling me what it was. Rocket must know.”

Oooh. A 'Mystical Power'. Now we're going somewhere.

“Dad, let me find them. You know I am ready, you have seen my progress and you understand that I can do this. Like Red all those years ago, will you let me, with the help of the Hoenn Police force, take down Rocket? I’m not sure what they’re doing with the rock, their motives, or whereabouts they are, but I will get the rock back.”

“Son, this is too dangerous. You alone cannot take on a force as powerful as Team Rocket.”

“What makes me so different from Red, Dad? I can do this. Please, just let me help the police in finding these evil people before they ruin Hoenn.”

“Ok, son. I have faith in you. Stay safe, if you have any problems, don’t hesitate to call me or the police. I will be there alongside you as soon as I can get there.”

Yes son, I will let you chase a deadly, deadly international crime syndicate who have spilt the blood of innocents, have their hands of a mystical power source and for all we know are invisible. Just remember to call the police when you find them.

James turned to his mother. She just smiled and embraced him, tears streaming down her cheeks.

Why would she be smilling? Her son is most likely going to die, and she doesn't lift a finger to even attempt to stop it. She is a bad mother.

Well. This is a better than average new Fic. While there may be some plotholes and people who might aswell be defying the laws of physics, this is good. You may have seen that I wasn't trying as hard in the 2nd half of the review, that's just because I had mentioned the mistakes earlier, and you are remaking, so I focused on plot mostly. Anyway. I hope you continue this, I'll be waiting in the wings.

Thanks. PocketmonMaster.

Team Energy

that was a really good chapter and i can't wait for the next, I am not big on grammaical errors and keep it up for the next one.