• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Infraction Point System - NEW INFRACTIONS 7/18/14

(P.O.K.E.M.O.N)

AshXSerena = Canon
If you feel this is the case raise it with other mods, same if you feel that 'power abuse isn't new' rather than just saying that without actually saying why.

Also make sure that you know for sure that people are favoured by staff, guys - I recall times of people asking why I didn't infract so-and-so when I actually had - thing is infractions are private in the first place and rarely announced publically. Other times things aren't reported and hence not seen, so make use of the report button.

And this isn't the place for complaining about infractions, it's for asking questions about the system. If you want to dispute an infraction take it up with the mod or a higher up, and there's also the staff contact section.

Oh, and as it was asked publically:
This didn't alone result in your ban, but it and the other infractions (about 10 pages worth) added up to a ban limit number. (In other words anything can be bannable with other stuff - so spam isn't getting you a ban by itself but other things with it can if you have enough, for example). In other other words, what fishyfool said. If you keep breaking the same sort of rules then I don't see too much wrong in still being infracted (e.g. your latest one for telling people to 'go to hell' which is hardly necessary). The mod felt it that post was being rude to others and given the track record...

It was 5 points though.... That comment was not worth 5 points, at the most it was a warning,

And i had to say " go to hell " to lex, he insulted may, and i knew i was going to be in trouble for it, but i should not have been given 5 points for that comment, which resulted in the ban.

The mods in the shipping section are biased against new shippers which explains the low post count in that section..

NoToRiousBrawL

Stones of Baked Clay
again, what bobandbill said:
1) this person might not actually be as favored as you think. just because someone doesnt get banned doesnt mean they havent gotten infracted for their behavior. there's also the possibility that their behavior was not noticed by a mod. we can't be everywhere.
2) if you truly believe there is favoritism, first talk to the mod(s) who you feel are responsible for this favoritism, and if that doesnt work, go to someone higher than them (mod < smod < admin < serebii). alternatively, posting in the staff chat means every mod of every forum can see it, so that can work although it may not be as effective.
3) this thread is not for complaining about infractions or lack thereof. this is about the mechanics of how the infraction system works. infraction disputes should be taken to pm/staff contact, as said before.

Come on P.o.k.e.m.o.n ._. Look what Ellie left to us

SlimShady

Kill your heroes
How can an adbot get 130 points that never expire and let's say I evade ban, I would too get 130 points, but that never expires? They're both permabans. I don't understand how one permaban can never "expire" if it's still permananent?

Raddaya

My Little Ponyta
That comment was not worth 5 points, at the most it was a warning,
Says you. Unfortunately, you are not a mod.

How can an adbot get 130 points that never expire and let's say I evade ban, I would too get 130 points, but that never expires? They're both permabans. I don't understand how one permaban can never "expire" if it's still permananent?

Do you even understand the meaning of permanent?

Here's a newsflash: Stop whining about infractions. If you got enough infractions to get any sort of a ban, you deserved it, and one single extra infraction point could not have possibly done enough to get you a ban alone. Let's put an example: If a random mod infracted me for mini-modding in this post, it'd be kind of a dick move, but I wouldn't whine about it because it was perfectly justified. Learn context, and learn that people view the seriousness of points differently, and if someone is a mod he/she's probably trusted enough to know what's serious.

tl;dr: It's a pokemon forum, if you get banned for a week is that really the end of the world?

Last edited:

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
It was 5 points though.... That comment was not worth 5 points, at the most it was a warning,

And i had to say " go to hell " to lex, he insulted may, and i knew i was going to be in trouble for it, but i should not have been given 5 points for that comment, which resulted in the ban.

The mods in the shipping section are biased against new shippers which explains the low post count in that section..

I know how many point you have, and your post are getting towards the nasty end stuff. If I was had Mod powers in this section, I may have already applied an infraction to your post. You've got it easy here.. I know at least two sites has 3 strikes and you're permanently gone on the 4th.

So Cool it! Stop whining here, and take it to the staff section or PM the staff members who can do something..

The points that are expired don't count towards getting a ban. Serebii and other Admins chose do it that way. As far as I can tell it could be VB recommendation. That choice was before I actually joined the forum let alone became staff.

The good thing about having the 130 points never expiring is that some times a ban fails to apply and the system will ban you once a new infraction is applied. I should point out I've aware of one situation where someone had 130 points and wasn't banned.

SlimShady

Kill your heroes
Do you even understand the meaning of permanent?
Thanks for being helpful. >_>

The points that are expired don't count towards getting a ban. Serebii and other Admins chose do it that way. As far as I can tell it could be VB recommendation. That choice was before I actually joined the forum let alone became staff.

The good thing about having the 130 points never expiring is that some times a ban fails to apply and the system will ban you once a new infraction is applied. I should point out I've aware of one situation where someone had 130 points and wasn't banned.
Thank you very much for the clarity. I see

(P.O.K.E.M.O.N)

AshXSerena = Canon
I know how many point you have, and your post are getting towards the nasty end stuff. If I was had Mod powers in this section, I may have already applied an infraction to your post. You've got it easy here.. I know at least two sites has 3 strikes and you're permanently gone on the 4th.

So Cool it! Stop whining here, and take it to the staff section or PM the staff members who can do something..

More like 1, and that was due to my sig being to large, i'm never on that site enough to do anything, and if anyone has it easy it's sereb devil! i literally want to go off at him but i'm keeping my kool.

Phoopes

There it is.
More like 1, and that was due to my sig being to large, i'm never on that site enough to do anything, and if anyone has it easy it's sereb devil! i literally want to go off at him but i'm keeping my kool.

3) this thread is not for complaining about infractions or lack thereof. this is about the mechanics of how the infraction system works. infraction disputes should be taken to pm/staff contact, as said before.

Is it really that hard?

Anyway, I am confused by one thing in the rules. Discussing illegal content is only 5 points, while providing links to the content is worth 40. That just seems like a huge jump to me, because any person with a brain could just Google the content being discussed and download it themselves. Either way it promotes the download and use of illegal content. I do understand that providing links is "worse," because user on the site can just click on the link straight from the forums, but I don't really understand why there's such a significant jump. It goes from a 5 point ban- which with most people will result in no ban- to 40 points- an auto two week ban at minimum. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something? Because this has never really made much sense to me, since actually providing the links is only slightly worse in my opinion.

(P.O.K.E.M.O.N)

AshXSerena = Canon
Is it really that hard?

Anyway, I am confused by one thing in the rules. Discussing illegal content is only 5 points, while providing links to the content is worth 40. That just seems like a huge jump to me, because any person with a brain could just Google the content being discussed and download it themselves. Either way it promotes the download and use of illegal content. I do understand that providing links is "worse," because user on the site can just click on the link straight from the forums, but I don't really understand why there's such a significant jump. It goes from a 5 point ban- which with most people will result in no ban- to 40 points- an auto two week ban at minimum. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something? Because this has never really made much sense to me, since actually providing the links is only slightly worse in my opinion.

Already read it sunshine, just wanted to thank nutter and tell him how much i adore sereb devil

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Is it really that hard?

Discussing illegal stuff may not be actually directly or encouraging links to illegal content or for people to go get it firstly, and I imagine also the jump is in part due to legal issues - all Pokemon forums as such are quite against any linking to roms and whatnot as the ramifications of not keeping it in check here are quite serious. (Last year screenshots of a released game had to be taken down from the site for instance). And the Pokemon company/s care way more about actual supplying of illegal content than discussions.

After all, it is easy for someone to just use google and all, but because it's easy doesn't mean Joe doesn't want to discourage such things happening here.

ellie

Δ
Staff member
Admin
it's due to legal issues associated with links being up (like bobandbill said) and due to the fact that sometimes people dont always know what theyre discussing is illegal. we dont want to ban someone first thing when they may have honestly been ignorant. it's set to 5 rather than 3 points so that if you keep doing it youll get banned pretty quickly, however.

also, if anyone posts anything else regarding specific infractions they/someone else received, they are getting another infraction. cut it out. phoopes's question and similar stuff is what the thread is meant for, NOT whining about infractions. we have already said 10 billion times, take it to pm.

Aegon

it's due to legal issues associated with links being up (like bobandbill said) and due to the fact that sometimes people dont always know what theyre discussing is illegal. we dont want to ban someone first thing when they may have honestly been ignorant. it's set to 5 rather than 3 points so that if you keep doing it youll get banned pretty quickly, however.
Shouldn't they have read the rules, though? Ignorance isn't always an excuse.

1. Don't ask for or provide illegal content, discuss cheating devices or cheat codes
This includes episode downloads, Gameshark, Action Replay, ROMs, etc

From reading the very first rule, users should know at the very least that the discussion of the above is prohibited.

Additionally, if it's clear someone knows they ought not to be discussing illegalities, yet they are, will they still only receive five points?

ellie

Δ
Staff member
Admin
Shouldn't they have read the rules, though? Ignorance isn't always an excuse.

1. Don't ask for or provide illegal content, discuss cheating devices or cheat codes
This includes episode downloads, Gameshark, Action Replay, ROMs, etc

From reading the very first rule, users should know at the very least that the discussion of the above is prohibited.

Additionally, if it's clear someone knows they ought not to be discussing illegalities, yet they are, will they still only receive five points?

yes, they should have read the rules, which is why they still get an infraction for it, and 5 points is a slightly heftier infraction at that. we just didnt think it was necessary to outright for just discussing. and if someone is continuously and deliberately breaking ANY rule they have the potential to receive a harsher punishment than if it was someone's first time breaking that rule.

Helen

Bluntly making a thread to AR and ROMs will give you a problem. But if it just starts getting talked about in a thread on, say, a league discussion, about if people use one, no, you won't get infracted.

Schade

Metallic Wonder
I have a question: How can you abuse smilies?

Moonlight Amaryllis

♪smoke and mirrors♪
Here's a question, not sure if I'm supposed to PM this to a mod, but...

Okay, let's say someone got several infractions for doing the same thing, but the last one would expire before the next was sent, and they were all on accident. Would the points go up, or would they stay the same? Or does it depend on purpose or accident?

Schade

Metallic Wonder
Are the pokemon-thingys smilies? :579: