• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Infraction Point System - NEW INFRACTIONS 7/18/14

ellie

Δ
Staff member
Admin
no, you can't. that is discussing illegal content.

Shiny Mew2

Gunshow
Why has the illegal content thing gone up to a massive 40 point?

castlewars

Chesnaught=Bowser
If you have 16-19 points and when one expires, do you really get another week ban? As you're actually innocent enough and you're not breaking rules and then they ban you from expiring infractions. And if staff think you've made a new thread just because you're bored, do you get a 'trolling' infraction?

Zhanton

le quant-à-soi
If you have 16-19 points and when one expires, do you really get another week ban? As you're actually innocent enough and you're not breaking rules and then they ban you from expiring infractions. And if staff think you've made a new thread just because you're bored, do you get a 'trolling' infraction?

If you have 16-19 points and then your points expire, you don't get a week ban when they expire. Rather, you get a week ban when you pass the 15 point threshold by receiving another infraction. So if you, for example, drop from 17 to 14, you won't get banned. But if you then go on to get a 3 point mini-modding infraction for example, you'll reach 17 points and hence have passed the 15 point threshold by receiving another infraction and you will be banned.

As for the second question, it really depends. ^^;

Last edited:

castlewars

Chesnaught=Bowser
If you have 16-19 points and then your points expire, you don't get a week ban when they expire. Rather, you get a week ban when you pass the 15 point threshold by receiving another infraction. So if you, for example, drop from 18 to 15, you won't get banned. But if you then go on to get a 3 point mini-modding infraction for example, you'll reach 18 points and hence have passed the 15 point threshold by receiving another infraction and you will be banned.

As for the second question, it really depends. ^^;

Ellie said in her post 'You won't get banned if you have 16-19 points unless some expire and you re-reach 15 points.' That compelled me to ask that question.
And there's a problem with the 'evading ban' and 'making another account' infraction. If someone evades a permaban by making a new account under a false real name (alias) and a false email address, will staff notice it's the same person? And do you get infracted for asking a question that had been already asked?

Last edited:

ellie

Δ
Staff member
Admin
I already explained before, by re-reach I mean some expire and you get more. I should just edit that in later when I'm not on my phone. Though zhanton you are slightly wrong, in that instance nothing would happen. You have to be under 15 before an infraction and then go to 15 or above after an infraction. If you already have 15 nothing happens unless you reach 30+.

As for making a thread because you are bored, that depends. Is it a thread that would create good discussion and isn't a repeat there'd? If not then maybe.

If someone evades we have ways of finding them, don't worry.

You can sometimes get infracted by asking a question that has already been asked. Usually it depends on how many times it has been asked and/or if the answer is easily available by looking around.

deokishisu.123

Justified Trope
Question; Will you get infracted for asking that question, Ellie, if it is first offence, or will they get a warning? I'm sure people new here will not want to have an infraction for asking a question they don't see on the first page

ellie

Δ
Staff member
Admin
It depends. You can get an infraction on the first time. Stickies, the FAQ, and search exist for a reason

ellie

Δ
Staff member
Admin
It depends. You can get an infraction on the first time. Stickies, the FAQ, and search exist for a reason

deokishisu.123

Justified Trope
Ah, alright, because I think I might have had that happen to a friend of mine here once. I forget who though...

Chappy87

The Pokemon Hunter
I don't often post here, but read these updated infractions and felt I'd like to add something to this conversation.

I've always had a bit of an issue on any site where people are chastised for not using the search function. Is there a certain amount of time that must pass before it's acceptable to post a new thread that may have been covered previously? People's opinions change all the time, so can an old topic always be considered relevant?

Secondly, why is foul language only a 1 point infraction? That seems very strange considering something like 'abusing smilies' is 3 points? There is no excuseable reason for anyone to actually type abusive words- it's not big, it's not clever and it certainly doesn't add anything to the conversation.
(On a related note, what is considered foul language? In this thread alone I have seen people- including staff!- using the word 'retarded' at whim. Surely this is considered offensive ands deserves reprimand?)

ellie

Δ
Staff member
Admin
the topics i'm talking about aren't opinion topics. opinion topics can possibly be reposted if it's been awhile (definitely atleast 30 days so that the old topic is considered dead) but it depends on the situation, and i'd suggest talking to a mod of whichever section first.

i'm talking about simple questions like "how do i ev train?" or "why can't i upload a custom avatar?" or something. if it can easily be found using the main site or looking at other large topics, you shouldn't be making a brand new topic to ask.

abusing smileys is 3 points because it's considered spam, and the spam-based infractions (including advertising, replying to spam, etc) are 3 points. foul language was being considered for an upgrade and could still happen in the future but not now. foul language is considered anything that's censored by the forum's automatic censor, and therefore is not allowed to be said on these forums. if someone is using a non-blocked out word it can still be infracted if it also covers another rule (like flaming or trolling), but the word by itself won't get an infraction.

deokishisu.123

Justified Trope
Wait, so you're telling me that if, for example, I say "F*ck", I won't get infracted, even if it is uncensored, but if I use it in an insulting sentence to someone, I'll get infracted? Just to clarify, I'm not going to use this. Just want to be sure as to what I should report for should I see it happen.

ellie

Δ
Staff member
Admin
no. i said if you use a word that some might consider offensive that is NOT blocked by the censor, you won't get infracted just for using the word, but you can get infracted if it is spamming/flaming/etc. if you use a word that is blocked by the censor you can get infracted for foul language even if it's not an offensive context.

deokishisu.123

Justified Trope
Alright, thank you for clarifying, Ellie. I didn't want to report someone, should the occasion arise, for the wrong offence.

Ausgirl

I think that rule 6 is a bit rediculous cos forbidding people from discussing cheating isn't gonna stop someone from cheating.