• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Infraction Point System - NEW INFRACTIONS 7/18/14

PrismaticPrincessAnna

I'll do my Lilliest
Ever hear about chain letters? It's basically when someone sends a PM full of idiotic fluff, then puts SEND IT TO X MORE PEOPLE at the end of it, so people keep sending it to everyone else...

Thanks! I thought its a PM full of quote boxes cos sometimes I log in Serebii wit' my phone and cant erase much things, nya~

I just don't want to see us turn into another smogon, that's all.

Nah, we will never become Smogon. We need 88+ mods (not including badgeholders) on a forum that has less than 17% the posts ours has.

We have about half the mods yet 5x the forum size. I don't think there's enough of us to have a strict Smogon-like feeling even if we tried (not that we would).

R4GEKILL!!!

Me So Thorny
Nah, we will never become Smogon. We need 88+ mods (not including badgeholders) on a forum that has less than 17% the posts ours has.

We have about half the mods yet 5x the forum size. I don't think there's enough of us to have a strict Smogon-like feeling even if we tried (not that we would).

That's my problem with Smogon mods. They act like goddamn terminators. If any post is wrong for any reason whatsoever, they immediately attack it and infract. Thats why I stay off Smogon. FUKDAPOLICE! lol. I'm glad serebiiforums is more laid-back.

ellie

Δ
Staff member
Admin
just to clarify a few things:

1) you will NOT be auto-banned if you have 18 points and 3 expire so you go back down to exactly 15. what i meant was if you had, say, 17 points and 3 expired (leaving you at 14) and then you got a new 3-point infraction before any more expired (putting you back at 17, which is above the new 15-point threshold), then you will be banned.

2) as for minimodding, part of the reason why it's against the rules is because it's annoying and just makes more work for the staff to clean up. if someone posts in a totally wrong thread asking for help and you say "wrong thread, go here" we have to delete more posts. then there's also the issue that often times people are wrong in their replies and are giving newbies false information. there's a pretty simple way to get around minimodding: don't reply to it. it's just like replying to spam. resist the urge.

3) as for people saying "why isn't there an infraction for xyz" we have a lot of generic infractions like spamming and flaming that are meant to cover a variety of situations. if there is truly a situation that does not fall under one of the standard infractions (which rarely happens), that's why smods and admins have the ability to custom infract. if people try to get around things with "loopholes" in these infractions it won't work because we can give custom ones. the point of these new infractions was not meant to catch every single thing that could possibly happen but to standardize the given punishment in some situations where we didn't really have a standard procedure.

and for those of you saying it's too strict, like people already said, this board is the most lenient one i have ever been on. no other forum gives you 5 chances before you get even a tiny week-long ban, and it is very hard to get removed from this forum permanently or for a long time unless you are trying to be an annoying troll on purpose. the rules really aren't that difficult to follow, and people who actually pay attention to the rules and learn from their mistakes won't get in trouble.

Remorph

Alone With Everybody
Good improvements. The thing is, that people are too used to the easy punishments, so it's natural to react when you guys tightened the leash a bit. Which is what we needed in the first place.

Typo

been a while
Question: What is SPPf's stance on discussing simulators, such as Pokemon-Online, or older ones like Shoddy or PokeLab? Save for the obvious stuff like "Guys join my Pokemon-Online server at 127.0.0.1", would discussing it be considered advertising? Also, does it qualify as discussing cheating/illegal devices?

I'm not talking about anything like starting up threads for an SPPf Pokemon-Online server, I just mean stuff like discussions about simulators vs cartridges for competitive battling, talking about results in RMT forums (I tested this team on Shoddy in X battles and reached Y Rating), arranging a battle with another user, etc.

Question: What is SPPf's stance on discussing simulators, such as Pokemon-Online, or older ones like Shoddy or PokeLab? Save for the obvious stuff like "Guys join my Pokemon-Online server at 127.0.0.1", would discussing it be considered advertising? Also, does it qualify as discussing cheating/illegal devices?

I'm not talking about anything like starting up threads for an SPPf Pokemon-Online server, I just mean stuff like discussions about simulators vs cartridges for competitive battling, talking about results in RMT forums (I tested this team on Shoddy in X battles and reached Y Rating), arranging a battle with another user, etc.

At this point probably 99% of the Competitive Battlers here use Pokemon Online. PO's staff may be full of morons but their battling simulator is pretty good.

Zhanton

le quant-à-soi
The rules really did need to be pulled tighter, in all honesty; it was just too easy to shrug off infractions and members really didn't have to worry about getting banned even after committing several offences due to the rather high ban threshold and low values of the points, so I think it's a good move to pull the reins tighter. They seem pretty clear, I don't really have any questions at the moment.

Magiclapras

Dragon Goddess Flyder
I'll be brutally honest here, some mods, regardless of power, can be total dicks. Even mere Club owners/co-owners can be, infracting/warning members for things as pointless as poor spelling or not following a form exactly. They're simple words. Deal with it I say.

GuardChomp

(︶_︶)╭∩╮
Wait Theres something I dont get. Lets Say you made A thread that broke two rules at once, Like a Minimodding & asking for hacked pokemon in a trade thread, Would you get infracted for one, or both?

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
It's a load of bollocks. Just last week I got 6 points for spaming. XP
Well if this is a complaint, let's see why!
Spam spam spam! :p
Imminently closed thread will be closed Imminently. :p
Yes, I wonder why...

Let's go back to discussing the infraction system itself now, rather than complaining about getting infractions for breaking the rules.

And ninja'd again!
Wait Theres something I dont get. Lets Say you made A thread that broke two rules at once, Like a Minimodding & asking for hacked pokemon in a trade thread, Would you get infracted for one, or both?
Depends really on the rules broken and the mod. Usually one but with a warning in the infraction message to not do the other too I imagine would b a common occurrence. And if it's a higher up a custom infraction can be given to punish for both rules broken (or more!) as deemed fit too.

Last edited:

deokishisu.123

Justified Trope
Truthfully, I don't know what's left to discuss. It's apparent we are either going to accept the changes, and go on our merry way, or some other nabs will start complaining it's too strict. I can see questions about it, but is there really anything left to discuss?

Shadow XD001

I think the new Infraction Point System is fine. One question, though. When you say extend, does that pretty much mean the infraction is active longer than it actually would be?

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
I think the new Infraction Point System is fine. One question, though. When you say extend, does that pretty much mean the infraction is active longer than it actually would be?
It depends. Your subsequent infractions will expire 45 days/90 days after the previous one has expired.

Since I've not handed that many infractions out since we added this, I can't say for sure if this is the case in practice. (This system has only been in place for 23 hours as I post this.)

That's my problem with Smogon mods. They act like goddamn terminators. If any post is wrong for any reason whatsoever, they immediately attack it and infract. Thats why I stay off Smogon. FUKDAPOLICE! lol. I'm glad serebiiforums is more laid-back.

I saw you reply to a UU team on smogon

Anyway, Im closer than ver to being banned now, 9 points, now the new ban mark is 15, guess I should behave

The Oncoming Storm

I went to jared
I see no problem with this new infraction system. I really don't need to worry I hardly ever break rules. I thik this a step in a good direction for serebii.

MewTwoEx

Metagross Master
Seriously... getting 10 points for an image taken off google? Wow thats harsh :/

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Seriously... getting 10 points for an image taken off google? Wow thats harsh :/
No; it's taking an image off google or anywhere else and claiming that you made it when you didn't for instance. (Look at it this way - what if you posted your art/story on the internet and then someone stole it and pretended they were the ones who did all your hard work?)