• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The 'Is it Intentional?' Thread

Wyrm

~Setting Sail~
Well, Gothitelle looks like a black Jynx to me... But then, yeah, Reniculus is a cute blob. At least it's cute though...

Well, it's at least a stronger, better looking Jynx. That's not rubbish. Rubbish would be a Liepard without Assist, which, even then, "rubbish" is too strong of a word.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
*Goth. Though, it's still really ugly. An insult to goths.
Good, we got as far as knowing it is goth.

But it is just as much of an insult to goths as Mr. Mime is to mimes. What now, mimes are fat people who just do that dumb box trick all day. Man, what a bad stereotype! But seriously...

Here is a question:

Am I the only one who thinks Gothitelle is pretty?

Was it intentional that the third gen patched the non-joining breeding groups into a web?

T.W.I.

Undercover Rocket
I always wondered about Lenora...

The 1st black gym leader...in a town with an abandoned railroad...who lives underground...hiding under a bookcase...>_>

That just SCREAMS underground railroad from the slave trade days.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!

The 1st black gym leader...in a town with an abandoned railroad...who lives underground...hiding under a bookcase...>_>

Grumble...

Not this stuff again. Look, I try, I really try, but we're just going down the deep end with this nonsense. You know what, screw it!

To answer the question:

NO!

It wasn't intentional. Why would a bug collector from Japan even think about that?

Swagmander

Is it intentional that Black seem to have all the rubbish version exclusives (except for Whimsicott) and White seem to have all the good ones?

Hmm... Mandibuzz is a defensive Pokemon with defensive typing, while Braviary is yet another Normal/Flying bird clone. Tornadus gets Acrobatics, Thundurus doesn't. Reshiram gets weather-boosted STAB, Zekrom doesn't. Houndoom>>>Mightyena any day. Reuniclus may outclass Gothitelle in every way, but that's the only argument you have.

Wyrm

~Setting Sail~

...WHAT?

I've heard lot's of strange "coincidences" before, but THIS... You're kidding, right? IMO, this is just WRONG.

PlatinumAssassin

Dragon Master
but THIS... You're kidding, right? IMO, this is just WRONG.

Not really. The Underground Railroad was a legitimate part of American history and Unova is based on the United States. Is it LIKELY they did it for that reason? No. But it's not going overboard or anything. Nor was he being racist, he was just pointing out an observation he made.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Ok, the thought of a mime being insulted by Mr. Mime is hilarious, no offense.
Hence, it was merely a clever ruse, a sarcastic joke in other words.

Not really. The Underground Railroad was a legitimate part of American history and Unova is based on the United States. Is it LIKELY they did it for that reason? No. But it's not going overboard or anything. Nor was he being racist, he was just pointing out an observation he made.
Three (or more) people called BS on it, so that shows you something.

Besides, why would Gamefreak reference a brutal hardship that has happened in the United States in a kid's game? That alone doesn't maker sense. Also, the games were made in Japan. That also doesn't make sense. More importantly, why would Gamefreak want to put something purposely controversial in the game. Maybe Leona was, I don't know, an archaeologist, who decided to have the challengers do book riddles to get to her secret room, but I guess I may be just full of it.

Last edited:

PlatinumAssassin

Dragon Master
Three (or more) people called BS on it, so that shows you something.

Besides, why would Gamefreak reference a brutal hardship that has happened in the United States in a kid's game? That alone doesn't maker since. Also, the games were made in Japan. That also doesn't make since. More importantly, why would Gamefreak want to put something purposely controversial in the game. Maybe Leona was, I don't know, an archaeologist, who decided to have the challengers do book riddles to get to her secret room, but I guess I may be just full of it.

I DID say it was very very very unlikely. But really, you don't have to immediately say "that's wrong, there's no use theorizing for the fun of it!" And again, the region is BASED off of the US, so they obviously had to do some researching. Also, children learn about it in elementary school, in like 2nd grade if memory serves. And yes, the part in bold is probably, almost definitely right, but you don't have to shove his ideas up his a** even if they're not right. I think it's an interesting coincidence and didn't notice it, I'm personally glad he brought it up, even though I don't believe he's right.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I DID say it was very very very unlikely. But really, you don't have to immediately say "that's wrong, there's no use theorizing for the fun of it!" And again, the region is BASED off of the US, so they obviously had to do some researching. Also, children learn about it in elementary school, in like 2nd grade if memory serves. And yes, the part in bold is probably, almost definitely right, but you don't have to shove his ideas up his a** even if they're not right. I think it's an interesting coincidence and didn't notice it, I'm personally glad he brought it up, even though I don't believe he's right.
It's a kick to the shins on Gamefreak's behalf. You don't think that Gamefreak would try to appeal to a younger audience without having to show the disgraces the United States brought upon itself (Note: I am not saying that the Underground Railroad was a disgrace; I am saying that it was a disgrace that that was the method that they had to resorted to.) Anyway, another part wrong with the topic brought up is that the Underground railroad never took place on a actual railroad. It is figurative language.

It isn't the fact that history was brought up that made it controversial. It was the fact that they resorted to this infantile idea that Gamefreak would use racial undertones in their games. Anybody can look with a shallow mind and come up with crap like that.

PlatinumAssassin

Dragon Master
It's not really a racial undertone, if it were on purpose than it would be a way of showing a similarity to the US' history. And the railroad being figurative is, well, obvious. If this were what happened (again, not saying it was, just playing with ideas here), they would have put it in as a more obvious indicator (ie, railroad could be a word used to help an individual recall said event [i feel like theres a word for that that I just can't remember]) towards the event. I also am not wuite sure I understand what you're trying to say in your second sentence, can you try to rephrase that please? Sometimes my almost ADD mind can't understand some sentences unless they're rephrased. :p Thanks in advance!

VictiniMaster

Winning, Duh!
was intentional to make the 3rd gear pokemon evolution so lazy? :p

But seriously, in HG/SS the Kimono girls kinda look like Ho-Oh. IDK.

Also Bertha (Sinnoh Elite 4) and Agatha (Kanto Elite 4)
Both simmilar looking old ladies with names ending in tha, and both in the Elite 4. I always guessed they were sisters, but I've never seen anybody compare them.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
It's not really a racial undertone, if it were on purpose than it would be a way of showing a similarity to the US' history. And the railroad being figurative is, well, obvious. If this were what happened (again, not saying it was, just playing with ideas here), they would have put it in as a more obvious indicator (ie, railroad could be a word used to help an individual recall said event [i feel like theres a word for that that I just can't remember]) towards the event. I also am not wuite sure I understand what you're trying to say in your second sentence, can you try to rephrase that please? Sometimes my almost ADD mind can't understand some sentences unless they're rephrased. :p Thanks in advance!
To bold phrase: Fair enough. It is not very common for a kids game to have brutal references to history or culture. For example (dare I bring another reference of this particular franchise), Metal Gear Solid 3 directly eluded to the JFK assassinated by mentioning it. It wouldn't make since for Pokemon to do that.

The problem is that people aren't using their heads to common sense. First, we didn't have a black character in Pokemon, and people complain that the game was homogeneous. Then, a black character comes, an archaeologist no less, then people think there HAS to be a reference or something that is considered racially provocative. It doesn't necessarily make it racist per se, but it wouldn't have been a good maneuver on Gamefreak's behalf.

PlatinumAssassin

Dragon Master
This is entirely true and I agree with you. I feel like Lenora and Nacrene Town/City or whatever it is has nothing to do with the Underground Railroad, but I feel like it is an interesting idea and fun to try to think of a reason why they would add it in. There, that's what I've been trying to say for the last few posts. :p for some reason I think better when I'm exhausted, apparently. :p Ergo, bed time. Also and completely random, who likes my Trainer Card? :D I just made it. :3