• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The 'Is it Intentional?' Thread

MHugs

Swadloon cuddle~
Is it intentional that in the older games when it said "You whited out!" the screen turned black and then when it said "You blacked out!" the screen turned white?
The phrases mean the same thing--to faint. To "white out" in fact means nothing because when fainting/losing sight your vision seems to turn black, never white.

I don't think there was ever a decision to make it the opposite; it's just oversight/not caring on the developers' part.

poix_the_yak

I stay noided
This thread is dying :/ *uses revive before its too late*

Loot at Watchog's eyes. Then look at it's BST: 420. Coincidence?

DucksGoMooful

Evergreen tail?

BCVM22

Any similarities between the two are largely because they share a similar body shape. Coincidental design, nothing more. You could find such similarities between any number of other Pokémon that mean equally little, like Rhydon and the two final Nido evolutions.

I know Charizard was supposed to be a Dragon-type and all

This was never the case.

DucksGoMooful

Evergreen tail?
I thought originally GameFreak was going to make it a Dragon type but thought it would be too powerful? Guess not then.

BCVM22

It would have made it very difficult to counter, yes. That doesn't mean there were plans to give it that typing, however.

Annihilator

Everyone's Watching
Umm let's see... Claydol and Hoothoot have extremely similar eyes. ;344; ;163;

I'll think of more later.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Ghetsis is based of G-Cis, or a tritone. This is related to the 18th Century "The Devil in Music." Sound very fitting of the character, don't you think

Also, am I the only one who thinks that Golett and Golurk are shout-outs to Teppen Toppa Guerren Lagann? They're mechs with spirals over their body!

Charoshi

Charmander is best
The Unova dex is pretty much in the order that you see the Pokemon in the wild. Not sure if that is a coincidence or not.

Look at Watchog's eyes. Then look at it's BST: 420. Coincidence?

HAHAHAHHA sigged.

Ghetsis is based of G-Cis, or a tritone. This is related to the 18th Century "The Devil in Music." Sound very fitting of the character, don't you think

And the music while you battle him has elements of that musical pattern. I'm pretty sure that was intentional.

As for the day care thing, Even in Black and white, there's a pretty big stretch of land where you can go back and forth horizontally.

Also, Another thing which may or may not be a coincidence

Last edited:

Nyter

Island Challenger
Myth

Ok I heard somewhere That Terrakion, Colbion, and Virizion are all based off "The 3 Musketeers" as they are of Knightly presence (ie Sacred Sword), But in the story of the 3 Musketeers, there was a fourth ally. Is this where Keldeo comes in (the ally) as it also learns Sacred Sword? Or was this unintentional?

BCVM22

It's all intentional. Keldeo fits in as a proxy for d'Artagnan.

Bulbapedia's entries for each individual critter details how they mirror one of the musketeers. Read there if you have further questions.

Nyter

Island Challenger
it's all intentional. Keldeo fits in as a proxy for d'artagnan.

Bulbapedia's entries for each individual critter details how they mirror one of the musketeers. Read there if you have further questions.

right, i thought so but for keldeo's pokedex entry, it had no reference to the other 3 so it threw me off.

DucksGoMooful

Evergreen tail?
Here you go. If you look at Watchog's eyes, it looks like he is high on drugs, because they are so red. Then, 420.

CuriousHeartless

420 is the California legal code for drug possession. It is a popular easter egg in movies to set clocks to 4:20 as a reference and was made famous by some movie. I want to say Pulp Fiction.

Watchog's eyes look like he's on drugs.