• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The 'Is it Intentional?' Thread

BenjaminBattington

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
I always thought Infernape was based off of Goku from dragon ball z. I mean it is a monkey, Goku's species, the saiyan, can turn into a monkey. Plus they are both fighting. I mean, even Infernape's Japanese name, Goukazaru, sounds similar to Goku. I'm not sure if it's just me who noticed that

Good eye! Toriyama has said that his inspiration for Goku's character is also Sun Wukong. I also believe the Japanese name for the character is Sun Goku but I might be wrong on that.

While not a monkey, Goku's character shares similarities with Sun Wukong; they are both known as great fighters with an array of super-powers. Also, even though Goku is humanoid, he has a monkey tail. Sun Wukong had the power to turn into a human, but the only thing he couldn't get rid of was his tail, so he would look like a man with a monkey tail.

So yeah, they are very similar because they are both based on the same character. It's a well-known tale in the East, so the character shows up in quite a few things.

Good eye! Toriyama has said that his inspiration for Goku's character is also Sun Wukong. I also believe the Japanese name for the character is Sun Goku but I might be wrong on that.

While not a monkey, Goku's character shares similarities with Sun Wukong; they are both known as great fighters with an array of super-powers. Also, even though Goku is humanoid, he has a monkey tail. Sun Wukong had the power to turn into a human, but the only thing he couldn't get rid of was his tail, so he would look like a man with a monkey tail.

So yeah, they are very similar because they are both based on the same character. It's a well-known tale in the East, so the character shows up in quite a few things.

You're close it's Son Goku. And hmm, that's a good point that they're both based on the same thing. It's like how Ninetails from Pokemon and Ninetales from Okami are also based off the same thing.

But then why does Infernape's Japanese name sound so similar to Goku then?

PlatinumAssassin

Dragon Master
You're close it's Son Goku. And hmm, that's a good point that they're both based on the same thing. It's like how Ninetails from Pokemon and Ninetales from Okami are also based off the same thing.

But then why does Infernape's Japanese name sound so similar to Goku then?

Because Goku and Infernape wre both based off of Sun Wuko(i?)ng, it's probably safe to assume that Goku or a word similar to it is involved in the story.

fhqwhgads

Don't know if it's been mentioned before, but Gen4's fire starter Infernape is quite clearly based on the Monkey King, Sun Wukong. Sun Wukong is a character from an ancient Chinese tale called Journey to the West. In this story, a monk named Xuanzhang goes on a dangerous pilgrimage to India and is protected by three supernatural bodyguards, the most famous of which is Sun Wukong.

The second most popular character from the story is Zhu Bajie, the pig. Notice a pattern here? Not to mention that Ken Sugimori supposedly said that he designed Emboar to have a "Chinese Style." This also explains the persistent use of the Fighting sub-type, as the monk's bodyguards were understandably extremely skilled at physical combat, Sun Wukong being the greatest fighter in the world, I believe.

If the pattern persists, we may see a starter Pokemon in the 6th gen based on the third bodyguard, Sha Wujing. He was a kind of humanoid Ogre, but his special ability was water combat. When submerged in water, he became extremely powerful and able even to beat Sun Wukong. Pokemon's first Water/Fighting starter? Might be cool.
Yes. It is relatively well known that the starters are being based off of Journey to the West, and is most often brought up in arguments *****ing about ANOTHER Fire/Fighting starter.

KamiPein-sama

Waiting for Truth
Blaziken was the best by far. I personally would have liked Emboar to be fire/dark like some people speculated.

PlatinumAssassin

Dragon Master
Blaziken was the best by far. I personally would have liked Emboar to be fire/dark like some people speculated.

IMO it goes Blaziken-Emboar-Infernape. But yeah, it really should've been, but I understand they wanted to follow the myth or whatever. As long as it can move Hammer Arm. :3

Compare Venonat to Butterfree; both are the same color of purple, both have the same eye design and both eyes are red, both have the same shaped antennae, and they have the same mouth. They also have the same hands.

I'm not sure where this would put Venomoth and Metapod, but if you really look at Venonat and Butterfree there's just too much similarity. Maybe it was a glitch in the programming and they decided to roll with it or something...

Compare Venonat to Butterfree; both are the same color of purple, both have the same eye design and both eyes are red, both have the same shaped antennae, and they have the same mouth. They also have the same hands.

I'm not sure where this would put Venomoth and Metapod, but if you really look at Venonat and Butterfree there's just too much similarity. Maybe it was a glitch in the programming and they decided to roll with it or something...

I've always wondered that too. So maybe

Zibdas

not bad
Abusive parents much?

My little sister wrecked my gamecube by running past after I beat her at SSBB lol.
She tripped on the cable of my remote and brought it crashing to the floor. Remotes cables snapped and the console doesnt close. I also lost SSBB, my favorite game;
My parents told ME off as well.

I therefore reject the Nintendium theory.

Not abusive. I played it 24 hours in a row with a half hour break in the middle for a bet against my friend.

XXD17

Draco rex
I always thought Infernape was based off of Goku from dragon ball z. I mean it is a monkey, Goku's species, the saiyan, can turn into a monkey. Plus they are both fighting. I mean, even Infernape's Japanese name, Goukazaru, sounds similar to Goku. I'm not sure if it's just me who noticed that

Actually both Goku and infernape are based off the monkey king from the journey to the west which had its association with hanuman a hindu god...the monkey king (Sun Wukong in Mandarin) served as the basis for much of the eastern culture especially in China and Japan (and to a lesser extent Korea) considering how those cultures are heavily related...in Japan, the monkey King is known as Son Goku (the exact name of Goku) and infernape is Goukazaru so you can see the relationship is obvious not just in looks but also in nomenclature and I would believe it should be intentional...as for emboar being based off of Zu Bajie, I can only half see that since Zhu bajie was a water-based demon, not a fire-based one...

Actually both Goku and infernape are based off the monkey king from the journey to the west which had its association with hanuman a hindu god...the monkey king (Sun Wukong in Mandarin) served as the basis for much of the eastern culture especially in China and Japan (and to a lesser extent Korea) considering how those cultures are heavily related...in Japan, the monkey King is known as Son Goku (the exact name of Goku) and infernape is Goukazaru so you can see the relationship is obvious not just in looks but also in nomenclature and I would believe it should be intentional...as for emboar being based off of Zu Bajie, I can only half see that since Zhu bajie was a water-based demon, not a fire-based one...

Yeah I know, someone explained that to me

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
On the whole fire-fighting topic, I'm starting to think that the game creators don't even see the starter lines as being grass/water/fire anymore. I think they deliberately want you to choose from a grass type, a water type, and a fire/fighting type. Because, seriously, if it's not that, the designers of the actual Pokemon are getting far too lazy.

KamiPein-sama

Waiting for Truth
I was mad when I found out Emboar was fire/fighting instead of pure fire like I originally thought it was...

Is it intentional if all unova Pre evolution ghost are found in area that are have 100% appearance or a big percentage?
Litwick: 100% at second floor of celestial tower and the higher floor one elgyem make a appearance with higher percentage until 50:50
Yamask: 50% in relic castle along with sandile
Frillish: 100% at route 18, Driftweil, Route 4 and maybe some route that I not mentioned
Golett: 100% at Dragonspiral tower second floor

Is it intentional if all unova Pre evolution ghost are found in area that are have 100% appearance or a big percentage?
Litwick: 100% at second floor of celestial tower and the higher floor one elgyem make a appearance with higher percentage until 50:50
Yamask: 50% in relic castle along with sandile
Frillish: 100% at route 18, Driftweil, Route 4 and maybe some route that I not mentioned
Golett: 100% at Dragonspiral tower second floor

Oh wow, I never actually realized that

Mister_SGG

On the whole fire-fighting topic, I'm starting to think that the game creators don't even see the starter lines as being grass/water/fire anymore. I think they deliberately want you to choose from a grass type, a water type, and a fire/fighting type. Because, seriously, if it's not that, the designers of the actual Pokemon are getting far too lazy.

Mhm. If the 6th generation brings along a fourth Fire/Fighting starter, I think I'll throw a fit or something.