• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Isle of Armor & The Crown Tundra DLC - GENERAL DISCUSSION Thread

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
I could see them return Hidden Power as a DLC exclusive move. Possibly expanded to be able to be Normal or Fairy typed.

They'd need to rewrite the way Hidden Power calculates its type for either to be possible, which to be fair would be a good thing in and of itself. I think Normal-type Hidden Power is kind of redundant and unnecessary though. Normal doesn't offer great coverage, hitting absolutely nothing for super-effective damage, and nothing would really have any use for a 60 BP Normal move. Plus Round already exists, with the added bonus of being a sound move that ignores Substitute.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I have been wondering this ever since the direct though: does that mean there won't be an "ultimate" edition like USUM or B2W2 , or a third game like Platinum and Emerald? Because if they'll just be working on updating what else would be left for the sequel?
There might be an "ultimate" edition that includes all the DLC content on the cartridge. Would be a great way to get some extra cash late in Sword and Shield's lifecycle.

KahunaLagoonaEX

I have been wondering this ever since the direct though: does that mean there won't be an "ultimate" edition like USUM or B2W2 , or a third game like Platinum and Emerald? Because if they'll just be working on updating what else would be left for the sequel?

The gist of what they explained when they were describing why they were doing the DLC, was that they used to make remasters/sequels, but that they wanted to continue working on the base game, so that this time they're making DLC instead of a Ultimate version.

So... No... We're not getting an Ultimate game. I think it's best to see it that way especially with the "Annual International" tradition of letting us capture every Legendary in the Crown Tundra - which is what they did for remakes like ORAS and USUM.

There might be an "ultimate" edition that includes all the DLC content on the cartridge. Would be a great way to get some extra cash late in Sword and Shield's lifecycle.

I'm going to press X to doubt - Especially since none of the other Switch games seem to do that sort of thing, excluding Sonic Mania and Shovel Knight.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
I think an ultimate edition would just be a cash grab at that point, especially if it had extra features or a rewritten story that isn't present in Sword/Shield. Expecting you to pay $60 for Sword/Shield (more than past titles), $30 for the DLC, and then a further $60 for the ultimate edition would be a little greedy in my eyes.

Sadly that probably means that Sword/Shield's horrible storyline won't ever be fixed, but oh well. They can at least fix most of the other problems with the game.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I'm going to press X to doubt - Especially since none of the other Switch games seem to do that sort of thing, excluding Sonic Mania and Shovel Knight.

Well those aren't Switch games as they're on other consoles.
We don't need an ultimate edition anyways, it's as pointless as a third game would be. Unless the DLC somehow doesn't sell enough to meet their standards, I doubt we'll see one show up.

Xaby

SW-3553-0104-8530
Well those aren't Switch games as they're on other consoles.
We don't need an ultimate edition anyways, it's as pointless as a third game would be. Unless the DLC somehow doesn't sell enough to meet their standards, I doubt we'll see one show up.

Well, we really don't "need" the ultimate/3rd games. But they're still new games. While at their core they are still the same game, for the most part they still offer something different enough for me to still buy and enjoy them regardless.

What I'm really scared of is that they're offering the DPPt legendaries in the DLC as well. I wish this doesn't damper any hope for a DPPt remake, which is really what I'm hoping for this generation.

Lugia88

Well, we really don't "need" the ultimate/3rd games. But they're still new games. While at their core they are still the same game, for the most part they still offer something different enough for me to still buy and enjoy them regardless.

What I'm really scared of is that they're offering the DPPt legendaries in the DLC as well. I wish this doesn't damper any hope for a DPPt remake, which is really what I'm hoping for this generation.

Maybe they are using Sword/Shield to test the models for the main legendaries that are in DPPt. I wonder if they are going to do a third expansion after The Crown Tundra that brings back more old pokemon an adds new ones. I'm thinking for those DPPt remakes is 2022 to 2024 hopefully.

HappyHawlucha

I have a suspicion that due to Klara's hairband we're getting a Galarian Wurmple line. Getting into speculation territory if this does happen and Klara does use a Galarian Dustox as her ace, I could totally see Avery using a Galarian Beautifly as his ace. Of course that means that Galarian Dustox must be at least part Poison type still and Galarian Beautifly must be at least part Psychic type.

A Psychic Beautifly could have a focus on psychedelic wing patterns, sort of similar to Avery's uniform.

Then again; what types will Wurmple; Silcoon and Cascoon be if the evolutions split like this? I could see them staying Bug, and then Dustox staying Bug/Poison and Beautifly becoming Bug/Psychic but where's the fun in that? 2 likely options for me are Poison, making Beautifly Poison/Psychic and Dustox Poison/???(Fairy perhaps), but personally I'd prefer Wurmple and the cocoons be Fairy, then Beautifly becomes Fairy/Psychic(as if we don't have enough of those already), and Dustox becomes Fairy/Poison.

Got a bit carried away there but this is my first post of the Expansion Pass hype cycle.

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
I have a suspicion that due to Klara's hairband we're getting a Galarian Wurmple line. Getting into speculation territory if this does happen and Klara does use a Galarian Dustox as her ace, I could totally see Avery using a Galarian Beautifly as his ace. Of course that means that Galarian Dustox must be at least part Poison type still and Galarian Beautifly must be at least part Psychic type.

A Psychic Beautifly could have a focus on psychedelic wing patterns, sort of similar to Avery's uniform.

Then again; what types will Wurmple; Silcoon and Cascoon be if the evolutions split like this? I could see them staying Bug, and then Dustox staying Bug/Poison and Beautifly becoming Bug/Psychic but where's the fun in that? 2 likely options for me are Poison, making Beautifly Poison/Psychic and Dustox Poison/???(Fairy perhaps), but personally I'd prefer Wurmple and the cocoons be Fairy, then Beautifly becomes Fairy/Psychic(as if we don't have enough of those already), and Dustox becomes Fairy/Poison.

Got a bit carried away there but this is my first post of the Expansion Pass hype cycle.
I wouldn't mind too much if Wurmple and even the coccoons just stay the same and it's only the final evolutions that change. Poison/Fairy would work for Galarian Dustox (the colouration of Klara's bow makes me think Fairy-type), and Psychic/Flying or Psychic/Bug would do for Beautifly.

Sponge

https://twitter.com/pokemonnewsuk/status/1216731889920368643?s=21

Looks like the Isle of Armor is indeed based off the Isle of Man (RIP the Ireland dream) and the Tundra’s based off Scotland.

As an Irish person who wants to see Ireland get its own region one day, that felt more like a nightmare than a dream. So I'm happy. :p

Although one thing I find a little odd is that the wild area takes up a big chunk of the Galar region (UK) but the Isle of Armor is supposed to be bigger than the wild area....except the Isle of Man is way smaller than the UK.

I guess it's one of those "don't think about it too hard" moments.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
As an Irish person who wants to see Ireland get its own region one day, that felt more like a nightmare than a dream. So I'm happy. :p

Although one thing I find a little odd is that the wild area takes up a big chunk of the Galar region (UK) but the Isle of Armor is supposed to be bigger than the wild area....except the Isle of Man is way smaller than the UK.

I’m guessing either the Isle of Armor will have more explorable places (underwater routes, perhaps...?) or they’re gonna make the Isle wayyyyyyyy bigger in size than its real life counterpart.

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.

Kingudora

My favourite
I think what I am most curious about is the movepool updates that all the returning pokemon will likely receive. Which pokemon will become even stronger by receiving a move they either desperately needed (ala Kyurem Black getting Icicle Spear) or an already super strong pokemon getting a move to make them even stronger (ala Mewtwo getting Nasty Plot)? And also which pokemon will lose a move they desperately needed/wanted to keep (ala most pokemon losing Hidden Power, Toxic, and Roost)?

I know some people are throwing out Dragon Dance Garchomp as one likely example of the latter.
This is what I am looking forward to the most with the returning pokémon. SwSh introduced so many interesting moves as TMs/TRs, like Close Combat and Dragon Dance, which a lot of pokémon could only hope to get before. Aurorus better be able to finally learn Power Gem now!

Also curious what the new move tutors will be. I feel spoiled with the 200 TMs/TRs we have already!

I wonder though if any of the returning pokémon will have any new abilities or stat boosts. There weren't that many in the base game, but hey, Koffing got some new abilities so who knows.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。

Looks like the Isle of Armor is indeed based off the Isle of Man (RIP the Ireland dream) and the Tundra’s based off Scotland.

Nice. Scotland was what everyone initially thought as the trailer went to show the southern Galar; upside down UK. Honestly, Ireland as a third DLC patch, perhaps as a side-region with new battle facilities or Gym Leaders would be amazing.

I couldn't be happier that Pokémon finally brought the DLC so, our dreams are now possible for an add-on content.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

The Pokémon World is not a literal translation of the real world. Relative sizes in the real world means little when it comes to relative size in the Pokémon World. Just look at the various regions and there relative sizes. Unova, Alola, and Kalos are supposedly about the same size, and yet one is based on a city, one is based on a small state, and one is based on a country. So just as all those areas can be resized massively to fit in the Pokémon World, so too can the Isle of Man.

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?

That's cool, I went to the Isle of Man by boat about ten years ago and have always wanted to go back there (the ship used to sail from the harbour in my home town, but it stopped years ago), on a clear sunny day you can actually see the Isle of Man from where I live. Come to think of it, the Isle of Armour would have been the perfect place to introduce a Galarian Meowth, because there's a breed of cat called the Manx that originates from the Isle of Man and has a short, stumpy tail.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I don't want to necessarily give up any hopes, but I'm wondering if the Crowned Tundra will have more than 100 registered Pokemon in it.

There are over 30 legendaries documented already, so that wouldn't leave a whole lot in the charted area.
I can almost see an increase in the Pokedex size to accommodate for this.