• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Isle of Armor & The Crown Tundra DLC - GENERAL DISCUSSION Thread

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Discuss the Isle of Armor and the Crown Tundra DLC in all of it's Third Version glory.

Some basic details to note.
- The expansion pass is directed by Hiroyuki Tani
- Brand New Pokemon + Galarian Forms
- Over 200 returning old Pokemon
- The new and old Pokemon will be available as a free update in the vanilla version, much of it being through trade.
- There will be version-exclusive Pokemon, features and rivals
- Each expansion will have its own wild area.
- Over 100 new clothing options.
- Brand new tutor moves in the Isle of Armor expansion.
- These expansions are intended to be the "Third Versions" of Pokemon Sword & Shield for now, similar to Iceborne is to Capcom's Monster Hunter World. This does not mean GameFreak has no intention for actual third versions in the future.
- The Isle of Armor's theme is growth and the Crown Tundra's theme is exploration.

shoz999

Avery is a guy?!
Yup, that's a dude. I own Pokemon Sword, so I'll be getting Klara as my rival. Though I am curious, what's with her character? She has such a fairy-esque vibe to her and yet the direct specifically said she uses poison-types. I am getting Moon vibes from her lol where in Pokemon Adventures, Moon thinks poison-types are adorable and it scares a lot of the boys lol.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Those absolute madmen, they're actually doing proper DLC?!

shoz999

Those absolute madmen, they're actually doing proper DLC?!
Reminds me a lot of how Capcom handled the Monster Hunter series. For those who don't know, the Monster Hunter series also has its own "third versions", only it's called the "Ultimate Version" like Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate or Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate which generally includes more of everything and a better post-game content, like Pokemon's third versions. However for the latest game, Monster Hunter World, instead of doing an Ultimate Version, they committed their resources into a critically acclaimed expansion pack called Iceborne which is seen by many fans as the sort of successor to Monster Hunter's Ultimate versions, bringing in more of everything and a better post-game content.

That being said, I actually wouldn't mind if Pokemon goes this route, having an expansion pack as the successor to Pokemon's third versions. There is one major element that I haven't seen talked about much in the direct which I hope gets more attention in future directs, trailers and news. Post-game content. An instrumental reason why Monster Hunter fans saw the Iceborne expansion as a successor to the Ultimate versions was it brought in a ton of post-game content. For Pokemon's expansion pack to even be compared to a "third version", it has to have that major post-game content.

EDIT: Another note, I wonder if they'll be redoing the flying animations of older Pokemon. Probably shouldn't get my hopes up as it's probably meant for the camp feature but seeing that animation of Talonflame standing on it's legs on the flat ground as opposed to flying in the skies gives me hope that they are redoing the older flying Pokemon.

Last edited:

Lugia88

So from the details giving is that the old legendaries are not exclusive to a version? The only exclusives are the ones you can find in the wild correct? I didn't get these games at lunch due to I'm wondering how they would handle the games, like a 3rd version release later on with the missing pokemon and new features, but seeing how they using dlc to provide new content. I'm cool with that.

wolf jani

The 6th member to reach 20 000 posts
So from the details giving is that the old legendaries are not exclusive to a version? The only exclusives are the ones you can find in the wild correct? I didn't get these games at lunch due to I'm wondering how they would handle the games, like a 3rd version release later on with the missing pokemon and new features, but seeing how they using dlc to provide new content. I'm cool with that.
We don't know if they're exclusive or not.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
We don't know if they're exclusive or not.
I hope they're not, since I'm not moving any legendary Pokemon I have into Shield version.

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
So Crown has Galarian Birds,two new Regis and Calyrex as version exclusive, while nothing is revealed for Armor?
If that's the case, I can see maybe Galarian dogs for Armor, 2 new Pokemon of old Leg/Myth maybe 2 Forces of Nature and 1 new Mythical/Leg for Armor.

Blaze Master X

The Fallen Hero
So Crown has Galarian Birds,two new Regis and Calyrex as version exclusive, while nothing is revealed for Armor?
If that's the case, I can see maybe Galarian dogs for Armor, 2 new Pokemon of old Leg/Myth maybe 2 Forces of Nature and 1 new Mythical/Leg for Armor.
Umm.. Armor and Crown are not versions. They're DLC packs, so you can get both in one version (Sword or Shield). You can buy the Expansion Pass to get both DLC packs.

Armor has a new legendary Pokemon (that has two forms) and its pre-evo.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
While I love everything else, there are just two things I don't like about the expansion pack:

1. I'm not that fond of how all of the legendaries are coming back. I really like the Galarian forms of the legendary birds, & I'm fine with the ones that were already coded into the game, but the one thing I liked about the National Dex cut was that we finally had Wifi battles that didn't spam teams of all legendary pokemon (most likely all shiny ones). Now that they're back we'll have to deal with those kind of players all over again -_-
  2. I'm just hoping that the Isle of Armor & Crown Tundra are post game supported. Since the special Slowpoke you get at Wedgehurst Station is only level 12, I'm worried that these areas are meant to be first explored during your playthrough of the main story, so everyone who either beat the game or are close to beating it will be overleveled and sweep through everything, which to me takes most of the fun out of additional content.

Last edited:

BCVM22

The Galarian Slowpoke gift is at Lv. 12 and was placed at a very early game location so that someone who is starting a copy of Sword or Shield right now, or perhaps very recently, can catch it easily. Don’t take it as an indicator of anything else. They probably are not releasing a pair of DLC areas seven months and a year after the game’s debut that they expect you to play through in the early going.

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
Armor would still get probably Galarian version of older Legs/Myth and probably new Leg/Myth of older trio or duo( like Regis) in order to be even.

shoz999

Those legendaries makes sense, it looks like dungeons where legendaries are the prize at the end are returning in Crown because Crown's theme is exploration and the Legendary Birds and Regi's throughout the series are accessed not through story but through mazes and puzzles.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
“Dex cut is good as legends and OP Pokémon like Legends and pseudos are gone so now competitive is fun”
What happened to this lmao
Seriously though I’m glad they’re back personally. I love legendaries and they don’t ruin competitive for me.

shoz999

I think this is just a coincidence but a lot of people noted how the unnamed character in the Crown portions looks kind of like Chairman Rose. Similar skin color, eye color, beards, facial structure, body-type, hair color and apparently the fact that GameFreak never named the character has some people thinking that the man in the orange suit could be related to Chairman Rose. I think it's a coincidence to be honest because GameFreak is experimenting in creatively reusing models similar to how Capcom does for Monster Hunter or Atlas does for the Persona series but at the same time, I can see the resemblance between the two.

Lugia88

I started my journey in Sword, also a good time too due to I'm glad they are not releasing a new game later this year with newer things added into it like Sun&Moon and then Ultra Sun&Ultra Moon. So yeah a lot to do before these dlc comes out. (need to get switch online thing)