• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Isle of Armor & The Crown Tundra DLC - GENERAL DISCUSSION Thread

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Okay, in that case you would also have the completely new combinations made up half new fossils and half old fossils, being the drake top with dino bottom, dino top with drake bottom, bird top with fish bottom, and fish top with bird bottom.
Looks like you're right. There really are 16 combinations total, which is why I think that they are not going to do it.

Kingudora

My favourite
Considering that there will likely be another fossil restorer in the expansions (since Amaura/Aurorus have been confirmed), maybe that character will be able to restore the SwSh fossils properly?

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Considering that there will likely be another fossil restorer in the expansions (since Amaura/Aurorus have been confirmed), maybe that character will be able to restore the SwSh fossils properly?
They can't do that unless they add 12 more Pokemon, and I don't think that they would do that.

Kingudora

My favourite
They can't do that unless they add 12 more Pokemon, and I don't think that they would do that.
No, I mean just by restoring Fossilized Drake, Fossilized Bird, Fossilized Fish and Fossilized Dino separately, like how you restore any other fossil. Not by mixing two fossils like Cara Liss does.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
No, I mean just by restoring Fossilized Drake, Fossilized Bird, Fossilized Fish and Fossilized Dino separately, like how you restore any other fossil. Not by mixing two fossils like Cara Liss does.
I think that it would still result in the combined fossils, unless the other halves are introduced.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

Possible, but it is my assumption that the reason two fossils are used to begin with is that the DNA profile in each fossil is somehow incomplete, and a second fossil with the other half of a DNA profile is required.

Though, this could work into the theory of how the Rock-Type in fossil Pokémon is byproduct of degraded DNA resulting in an imperfect restoration. When Cara Liss restores fossils, she uses the DNA of a second fossil to replace that part of the fossil that is typically replaced by the "Rock-Type genetics." So I suppose, if that theory is true, a traditional fossil restoration could lead to a Rock/Dragon restored fossilized drake, and so on.

Regardless, I'm going to stand by what I originally said, which is that the "complete" forms just wouldn't be interesting enough to warrant existence without the hybrid gimmick.

Kingudora

My favourite
I think that it would still result in the combined fossils, unless the other halves are introduced.
Why would there be other halves? What would those other 'halves' even be called?

Also, almost all of the fossils in the series are incomplete, with arguably only the Dome and Helix that are complete. For example, Cranidos and Shieldon are restored from the remains of their skulls, with the rest of their bodies missing. The most extreme case being Old Amber, presumably only containing blood cells of Aerodactyl.

Zachmac

I think the idea is that while classic fossil pokemon are restored through DNA, Galarian fossils are restored by skeletal reconstruction. Sure that doesn't make a lot if scientific sense but Pokemon's never been scientifically accurate to begin with.

That said I'm sure GF could easily handwave the issue if they ever wanted to. We fans have a tendency to think harder about lore then I think GF usually intends us to. I don't think we'll see the fully restored fossils but I don't think we should rule out the possibility entirely either.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Releasing the full fossils would make up for this gen's fossils in my eyes.
I've always wanted a raptor and I'm quite pissed it wasn't done properly

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Releasing the full fossils would make up for this gen's fossils in my eyes.
I've always wanted a raptor and I'm quite pissed it wasn't done properly

I don't think any of them are supposed to be a raptor. The muscular legs of the Fossilized Drake makes it look more like a T-Rex or similar dinosaur to me. A raptor would have slimmer legs and tail. Unless you're referring to the Fossilized Bird, which I suppose looks a little like a raptor, but given the fact that it's called a bird, it's probably supposed to be an archaeopteryx or similar proto-bird.

Or maybe we’ll see the true form of the Galar fossils in a future gen where they can introduce the regional variant of these fossils and call them the true form

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Raptor means "Bird of Prey" though.

I suppose. To be fair though, raptor is more of an informal name, and when most people think of raptors, they are not thinking of bird-like dinosaurs.

Regardless, the Pokémon from the Fossilized Bird is probably not a raptor. It's signature move is Bolt Beak, and as far as I know, raptors did not have beaks. Also, the description of Fossilized Bird mentions that it's a fossil of a Pokémon that used to soar through the skies. Seems to definitely be something closer to a bird than a dinosaur.

Orphalesion

I suppose. To be fair though, raptor is more of an informal name, and when most people think of raptors, they are not thinking of bird-like dinosaurs.
You know Dromasaurs/Raptors were among the most feathered and bird-looking of the non-avian dinosaurs, right? Also among the most closely related ones.

Seems to definitely be something closer to a bird than a dinosaur.
From a scientific point of view Birds are dinosaurs, the last living examples of the clade Dinosauria

So I do find it possible that a raptor is called a bird in these games. Especially since the aquatic fossil is called a "dino" even though there were no aquatic dinosaurs (so we already know that the terminology is not precise)

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
So I do find it possible that a raptor is called a bird in these games. Especially since the aquatic fossil is called a "dino" even though there were no aquatic dinosaurs (so we already know that the terminology is not precise)
On that note, I've heard in Japanese the "dino" fossil is actually called "plesiosaur" fossil. Haven't been able to find a source though.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
You know Dromasaurs/Raptors were among the most feathered and bird-looking of the non-avian dinosaurs, right? Also among the most closely related ones.

I actually did not know that. Suppose it makes sense, just had never come across something saying as much. Still, what I said was more about public perception though, even if it is based on misconceptions.

From a scientific point of view Birds are dinosaurs, the last living examples of the clade Dinosauria

Yes, but you know exactly what I meant when I said that, and that is certainly not it.

Yeah, I guess it's possible. Just not what I would assume, especially given the flying part of the item description. Unless you want to tell me there are flying raptors I've never heard of.

KahunaLagoonaEX

I hope that all the legendaries (old ones) are not version exclusive.

Pretty sure that they will be - That's what they did with ORAS and USUM, I don't see any reason why they wouldn't do so with Sword & Shield. It's their "End of Generation" tradition after all...

Luthor

Yeah, I guess it's possible. Just not what I would assume, especially given the flying part of the item description. Unless you want to tell me there are flying raptors I've never heard of.

Microraptor is said to have been able to fly (or glide) but the debate is ongoing. That debate wouldn't prevent Pokemon from using that idea if they wanted.

Speaking of the fossil Pokemon I expect if they are in-game this DLC will have a separate area to resurrect them as it wouldn't make sense for Cara Liss to resurrect these ones logically. I don't suspect they will be able to bring the SWSH fossils but maybe.

Last edited:

Lugia88

Pretty sure that they will be - That's what they did with ORAS and USUM, I don't see any reason why they wouldn't do so with Sword & Shield. It's their "End of Generation" tradition after all...

Hopefully they will break that tradition since this is the first time we are getting dlc content instead of second version of the games. As for Sword & Shield generation we don't fully know if these two dlc will be the only ones. Right now there's rumors going on that's there's 2 more maybe. I guess we find out say in February or March on more details when the next Direct happens.