• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Isle of Armor & The Crown Tundra DLC - GENERAL DISCUSSION Thread

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
What Pokémon are they talking about?
They’re talking about how Dewgong was featured in the recent Twilight Wings episode, so now everyone’s speculating that it’ll appear in the DLC

Last edited:

Kingudora

My favourite
I wonder if one of the events is going to be Gigantamax Melmetal. They've released prior unavailable Gigantamaxes as an event, so I can imagine that Melmetal's Gigantamax might be revealed as an event in the DLC. Though to keep it mythical they might keep it so you they emerge from a unique spot that collapses in on itself once you captured Melmetal

Speaking of Melmetal, I'm hoping that they add an evolution method for Meltan in the DLC patches.

While Meltan can't evolve in SWSH at the moment, Melmetal does have an evolution move, implying that it should be able to.

Also, I know that they can give a pokémon an evolution method afterwards, because that's what they will have to with Galarian Slowpoke. It currently has no evolution data.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Meltan’s method of evolution is just uncalled for. I can think of much better ways to evolve it that are much simpler and still make sense. Have Meltan hold the Magnet item and have five additional Meltan in your party and then level up in battle once and the evolution triggers and you get Melmetal and the other Meltan disappear because they merged into the first one. Create a special Key item that causes Meltan to swam and overtake a small section of the Wild area and if you take a Meltan lv 20 or above during the swarm, it will evolve.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Speaking of Melmetal, I'm hoping that they add an evolution method for Meltan in the DLC patches.

While Meltan can't evolve in SWSH at the moment, Melmetal does have an evolution move, implying that it should be able to.

Also, I know that they can give a pokémon an evolution method afterwards, because that's what they will have to with Galarian Slowpoke. It currently has no evolution data.

The way Galarian Slowpoke is being treated is quite interesting. As of this moment, Galarian Slowpoke cannot evolve. It's pretty neat! I might breed a third one just to train with it and see how strong it gets.

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
I could see there being a huge Max Raid event either on the day or shortly after Part 1 of the expansion pass launches, where you'll be able to catch Gigantamax Venusaur and Blastoise, so perhaps that's when we'll finally get Gigantamax Melmetal as well. If this is the case, and if you can catch Meltan in lower star dens earlier in the game, then they'd absolutely have to give Meltan/Melmetal a new evolution method if there's still no cross compatibility between Home and Go.

On the subject of Max Raid events, it probably won't happen, but I'd like if there was an event where you can catch the original versions of Ponyta, Slowpoke, Farfetch'd, Weezing, etc., perhaps even throw in what few Alola forms are in Sword and Shield's game files too like Vulpix and Diglett. Again, it'll probably never happen, but it would be a nice idea.

Kingudora

My favourite
Meltan’s method of evolution is just uncalled for. I can think of much better ways to evolve it that are much simpler and still make sense. Have Meltan hold the Magnet item and have five additional Meltan in your party and then level up in battle once and the evolution triggers and you get Melmetal and the other Meltan disappear because they merged into the first one. Create a special Key item that causes Meltan to swam and overtake a small section of the Wild area and if you take a Meltan lv 20 or above during the swarm, it will evolve.
I like the idea of Meltan evolving with five other Meltan in the party. Doubt that they would 'delete' the other Meltan, but it could basically be like Mantyke's evolution method but with five other Meltan instead of a Remoraid.

I could see there being a huge Max Raid event either on the day or shortly after Part 1 of the expansion pass launches, where you'll be able to catch Gigantamax Venusaur and Blastoise, so perhaps that's when we'll finally get Gigantamax Melmetal as well. If this is the case, and if you can catch Meltan in lower star dens earlier in the game, then they'd absolutely have to give Meltan/Melmetal a new evolution method if there's still no cross compatibility between Home and Go.

On the subject of Max Raid events, it probably won't happen, but I'd like if there was an event where you can catch the original versions of Ponyta, Slowpoke, Farfetch'd, Weezing, etc., perhaps even throw in what few Alola forms are in Sword and Shield's game files too like Vulpix and Diglett. Again, it'll probably never happen, but it would be a nice idea.
Never say never, we already got events with otherwise transfer exclusive pokémon and also version exclusive pokémon, so having an event with non-Galarian forms or Alolan forms doesn't sound that unlikely to me.

Carkol

We have no haunted houses in Galar... so somewhat possible there will be a haunted house in either Isle of Armor or Crown Tundra. (Although the anime could certainly put 1 in Galar, like they did with the Litwick mansion).

But since we already seen a Isle of Armor map, a haunted house may be more likely in the Crown Tundra. That's where we could see new Ghost or Ghost/Ice type since it's wintery climate. But if no new pokemon and only Galarian variants, then possibly a Ghost type of existing Ice pokemon. Like they made a Ghost variant of Corsola. Still hoping for a haunted house in Galar.

Edit: a quick look at the ice listing, the closest ghostly for an ice type is Cryogonal.

Pikachu111213

Traveler
We have no haunted houses in Galar... so somewhat possible there will be a haunted house in either Isle of Armor or Crown Tundra. (Although the anime could certainly put 1 in Galar, like they did with the Litwick mansion).

But since we already seen a Isle of Armor map, a haunted house may be more likely in the Crown Tundra. That's where we could see new Ghost or Ghost/Ice type since it's wintery climate. But if no new pokemon and only Galarian variants, then possibly a Ghost type of existing Ice pokemon. Like they made a Ghost variant of Corsola. Still hoping for a haunted house in Galar.

Edit: a quick look at the ice listing, the closest ghostly for an ice type is Cryogonal.
While I don’t know about a haunted house per say, there is a cemetery in Crown Tundra. It can be seen in the direct that announced the DLC.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
So I'm considering starting a whole new game in November when The Crown Tundra comes out, to do the entire map as one whole story.

In a sense, Sword & Shield with both Isle of Armor and Crown Tundra added would be like a whole new game, especially given all the additional content added to it. What I may do is put all my current teams into Home, and start over from scratch. Of course, this would all depend on how the DLC's level curve works.

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
So I'm considering starting a whole new game in November when The Crown Tundra comes out, to do the entire map as one whole story.

In a sense, Sword & Shield with both Isle of Armor and Crown Tundra added would be like a whole new game, especially given all the additional content added to it. What I may do is put all my current teams into Home, and start over from scratch. Of course, this would all depend on how the DLC's level curve works.
I'm thinking the same thing, but I plan on starting a new save file either just before or on the day Isle of Armour comes out. Depending on the DLC's level curve, I'm thinking of playng through the main story as normal up to Kabu's gym, then going to the Isle of Armour and playing through all of that before doing Bea's gym, so I have Urshifu ready for late game when a Fighting-type is really needed. Once I become the champion in this playthrough I'll take a break until the Crown Tundra is out, then play through all of that and catch some legendaries before doing the Sordward and Shielbert storyline, because as far as I'm concerned that's the true end of Sword and Shield's story.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I'm thinking the same thing, but I plan on starting a new save file either just before or on the day Isle of Armour comes out. Depending on the DLC's level curve, I'm thinking of playng through the main story as normal up to Kabu's gym, then going to the Isle of Armour and playing through all of that before doing Bea's gym, so I have Urshifu ready for late game when a Fighting-type is really needed. Once I become the champion in this playthrough I'll take a break until the Crown Tundra is out, then play through all of that and catch some legendaries before doing the Sordward and Shielbert storyline, because as far as I'm concerned that's the true end of Sword and Shield's story.

I was thinking of doing The Crown Tundra right before the tournament in Wyndon, and carry out the Eternaturs story afterwards.

Ultimately, I was thinking about splitting both The Isle of Armor and The Crown Tundra into two sections of play each. I'd go to the Isle of Armor and get Kubfu early on, then go back before I finish the gym challenge and train it up to become Urshifu. I'd then go to the Crown Tundra right before I take on the tournament, then return to face Calyrex after I become Champion.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I'm thinking about doing the Isle of Armor in its entirety before the tournament, and then do the Crown Tundra after I beat the Champ.

That sorta seems like the way it should go.

Still, I think it would be cool to take Kubfu with me throughout Galar.

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
I'm thinking about doing the Isle of Armor in its entirety before the tournament, and then do the Crown Tundra after I beat the Champ.

I plan on doing the Isle of Armour fairly early on because Fighting-types become pretty much essential by the time you reach late game (Gordie/Melony, Piers, Marnie, Raihan's Gigantamax Duraludon both times you fight it, Hop's Dubwool and Snorlax, the Macro Cosmos grunts, Chairman Rose...). I'd like a good strong Urshifu with max affection to deal with all of that, so I intend on clearing the Tower of Darkness early on and having Urshifu travel along with me in at least some of mainland Galar.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer

That's basically why I caved and bought the DLC for my Shield game. I just started it a few days ago & I haven't made it to Turffield yet, while I already beat the main story & postgame in Sword, so I wanted to see how the Isle of Armor differs for each game

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I just remembered I have my second Switch profile with my character Isabel!

I can do this run with her. Since I haven't made it to the Wild Area yet, and I can play through the game up to then, and then wait for Isle of Armor to come out to continue.

If the DLC's level curve does go according to gym badges, then I should be able to play with both Isabel and Salem with no problem whatsoever.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I just remembered I have my second Switch profile with my character Isabel!

I can do this run with her. Since I haven't made it to the Wild Area yet, and I can play through the game up to then, and then wait for Isle of Armor to come out to continue.

If the DLC's level curve does go according to gym badges, then I should be able to play with both Isabel and Salem with no problem whatsoever.
For my Sword game, I’m planning on starting a new team from scratch (aside from my Slowpoke and using my Cinderace as a reserve) that tackles my overall competitive weaknesses while focusing on training all my pokémon to make them more diverse for single & double battles.

That’s basically why I’m so focused on ranked battles & the Battle League in Pokémon GO right now. Since I know there are a lot of competitive battlers who are stronger than me, I’m using this time like a filler season that leads into why I'm going to the Isle of Armor in the first place

Last edited:

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
You know what I'm excited about in the new DLC that I didn't even think about?

I always liked how in Kalos and Alola, you had different subareas that had different Pokemon.
Kalos was divided into three with roughly three equal areas, and Alola had the different islands.

The Isle of Armor and the Crowned Tundra will act like those different areas, and have their own Pokemon/Pokedexes.

Granted, Galar proper will be the much bigger area, but I can't not be excited for this again.

Pikachu111213

Traveler
I think my plan is just to use my current save file (beat the game, complete Pokédex, etc) but bring a new team to Isle of Armor, and then a new one to Crown Tundra. In Isle of Armor I’m going to bring Squirtle and Meltan and in Crown Tundra I’ll bring Lucario and Larvitar, and if it’s available, Dragonite.