• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Isle of Armor & The Crown Tundra DLC - GENERAL DISCUSSION Thread

I had a quick question that a friend of mine raised yesterday. They restarted their game before the DLC went live, and I wanted to know if I'd still have access to Armour if I reset my game. I kinda want to try running the game with some of my returning favourites.

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
I think it’s probably how abundant Meltan is and if a person works long enough, they could have dozens of Melmetal and giving it the Max Soup to get its GMax form sort of ruins the specialness of having one. Sort of like how Deoxys isn’t exactly as coveted by players as it once was due to it being catchable in ORAS and all you need to do to get dozens of them is start a new game.
True, but like I said I can defo see it being available in the next title like Mega Latias/Latios was.

Shayminslicker

Comes out of Nowhere
I really loved the Isle of Armor. Its area is MUCH better than the Wild Area in my opinion, thanks to it having caves to explore, islands to visit, etc. Not to mention all the new features like the ability to change the color of your bike, the ability to mix items together to make new items, etc. I think my only issue with it is that the main story doesn't take very long to get through.

Bus

I heard this DLC will scale to your level; does that mean I can start a game fresh and head straight to the Isle of Armor if I wanted to?

AzulTheCerulean20

Borne by Valkyries
I heard this DLC will scale to your level; does that mean I can start a game fresh and head straight to the Isle of Armor if I wanted to?
It doesn't scale to your level, it is based on the number of badges you have, you can enter the dlc as soon as you get to the wild area and the wild mons will be around the lv10 mark with trainers being slightly higher.

Bus

It doesn't scale to your level, it is based on the number of badges you have, you can enter the dlc as soon as you get to the wild area and the wild mons will be around the lv10 mark with trainers being slightly higher.
Ooh Ok then, fair enough. So as soon as the wild area is reached I could head there, sweet. I plan on re-starting so I figured I might be able to play through the main game with a completely new set of pokemon. Thanks

NeoPhantom

Ooh Ok then, fair enough. So as soon as the wild area is reached I could head there, sweet. I plan on re-starting so I figured I might be able to play through the main game with a completely new set of pokemon. Thanks

Same to get an extra Urshifu and Cubfu for my living dex.

Planning on going mono-poison on one playthrough:
Salandit, Mareanie, Foongus, Skrelp, Slowpoke & Toxel

Then pure-Fighting Challenge on the next:
Kubfu, Mienfoo, Tyrogue, Machop, Riolu, Clobbopus.

That second one will be quite difficult I think...

Genos

The Indigo Disk
Finished the story line. While yes it was very short, I enjoyed it nevertheless. The dialog is what I enjoy the most, I had some laughs from it. I give it a 6.5/10. Hoping CT is a bit better with it's 5 new legendaries.

All is left to do is the Diglett search and IoA dex. Halfway in progress. Oh and helping out beating Zeraora for it's shiny form as a reward.

LiamJ

Has anyone completed the DLC without evolving Kubfu? I’ve got both games so want to keep one unevolved for my LivingDex. Thanks!

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Well, just wrapped up the Isle of Armor. Unfortunately, even though I didn't set my expectations all that high, I was still let down. I went expecting to be mostly apathetic towards it, and came out somewhat disliking it. The biggest issue is that they clearly designed it to be done in tandem with the main game, rather than be treated as post-game content, and that's a problem, seeing as the game has been out for over half a year, and nearly anyone who cares has already beaten it. For example, the levels may change scale to your gym count, but the Pokémon you fight don't. So maybe you're fighting a trainer with level 60 Pokémon, but that doesn't mean much if they're using a team consisting of an Abra and a Slowpoke. The other glaring issue stemming from it is the leveling of Kubfu. It's given to you at level 10, and yet they expect you to have it at level 70 less than a half hour of playtime later. Clearly the idea was to have you receive Kubfu early on in the game, keep it on your team throughout and train it, then return to the Isle of Armor some time around the time you fight the Champion. Sounds okay in theory, but doesn't work at all if you've already beat the game, in which case you have two options, either mindlessly grind the thing's levels for several hours or force feed it tons of experience candy, and ruin any shot at bonding with the thing like the game wanted you to do. (I ended up doing that later, and it felt so unrewarding, but I was not about to grind for hours to get a Pokémon I barely cared about to level 70.)

Speaking of Kubfu, that's another thing I felt was handled poorly, beyond just the leveling part. They just threw the Pokémon to you with little fanfare, sent you out to view three or four "picturesque" locations, and expect for us to have felt bonded to the thing. I'm all about bonding with Pokémon, but I was not feeling it with Kubfu in the slightest. Rather than just having you travel to the viewpoints, there should have been an actual story where you and Kubfu battle and overcome obstacles together. That's how you bond with Pokémon, not three cutscenes of you overreacting to the somewhat interesting scenery. Beyond just the Kubfu part, the story in general was just lackluster with no real substance. Avery was mildly interesting, but that was about it. This story was in drastic need of some sort of conflict and some filler content like random trainer battles.

Even the features they added felt either unneeded, added too late to be useful, or had other issues. For example, I'm very glad that the Max Soup works on any Pokémon, and not just your starter like I assumed, but at the same time, it's too little, too late. I would have loved to have had that soup back when I was forced to take my Dreadnaw, Corviknight, Centiskorch, and Orbeetle off of my team in order to replace them with Gigantamax versions, but now they're all vastly under-leveled, and no longer a part of my final team. Now the soup is worthless to me outside of allowing my starter to Gigantamax. Then there's the Experience Charm, which feels horribly unnecessary. As it is, the experience share feature and experience candies break the game's balance, we really didn't need another item to make it that much easier to become over-leveled. Given that they clearly wanted you to play the Isle of Armor during the story, rather than after it, I'm shocked they would give you an item that completely messes with the game's balance. Finally, there's following Pokémon, which I was very surprised and happy to see return. Problem is, for some reason you can only do it on the Isle of Armor. Also, following Pokémon increases their "camping" happiness, which causes them to start doing ridiculous things like randomly dodging attacks and removing status conditions. I have purposefully avoided using Pokémon camp (as well as Pokémon Amie and Refresh in past games) to avoid gaining these abilities, as they only serve to make the already easy games even easier.

To give them credit where credit is due, the Isle Armor as a location is a major step up from the Wild Area. It actually feels interesting to explore, and feels like a much better thought out location. It still has many of the Wild Area's flaws (no trainers, annoying weather, fairly empty), but it's at least a step in the right direction. Where Wild Area felt like an oversized, but underfilled route, the Isle of Armor feels a little bit more like its own little world.

Overall, I do not feel like this DLC is on track to worth the $30. Isle of Armor only added something like five hours of playtime to the game, and did it in an unimpressive fashion. Crown Tundra is going to have to be really good if it is to pick up the slack. We'll just have to wait and see. I'll try to keep an open mind, and not let this mediocre showing cloud my judgement of Crown Tundra.

Pikachu111213

Traveler
Gotta say, this is an awesome week for Pokémon! And to think we are nearing another game announcement too...

I absolutely love how pretty the forest is. Tho I can’t get through it without getting lost lol

Bus

Is it just me or do you see less people joining raids? I had 2 Zeraora raids I found and not a single person queued into the raid.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Is it just me or do you see less people joining raids? I had 2 Zeraora raids I found and not a single person queued into the raid.
I still have found one of these raids. Did find a Gengar and Snorlax though.

ebevan91

Just realized I can recreate my full Sun/Moon team in Sword/Shield now, which is real nice. I thought I still had all the original members with my Sun OT but I'm missing a couple which is a bummer though...

Nobody has been able to join mine and I haven't been able to join anyone else's. It's hard trying to beat one of those when the AI is using Magikarp, Qwilfish, Pikachu, etc.

Just realized I can recreate my full Sun/Moon team in Sword/Shield now, which is real nice. I thought I still had all the original members with my Sun OT but I'm missing a couple which is a bummer though...

Nobody has been able to join mine and I haven't been able to join anyone else's. It's hard trying to beat one of those when the AI is using Magikarp, Qwilfish, Pikachu, etc.
I’ve had good success at beating those Zeraora raids with ground type Silvally even the 5 star raid ones, I fail a few times as mentioned u get horrible teammates no one joins my raids either unfortunately