• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Isle of Armor & The Crown Tundra DLC - GENERAL DISCUSSION Thread

Eutus

Loveable Scoundrel
So I read in the serebii raid adventures page that we will only be able to use rental pokemon? Excuse me? What was the point of me transfering up my guys from the last 15+ years if I cant bring my shiny mewtwo with me into these group pve adventures?

That may have murdered my hype completely. I'm gonna go back and watch the direct since I really only skimmed it at work earlier ... but I thought we trained, and iv bred, and hunted shinys to um use them?? Can anyone confirm or elaborate?

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
The only interesting things seem to be the Galar Star Tournament and the Ability Patch, now you no longer need to stress if when breeding for HAs you end up getting the regular abilities instead. Using rental Pokémon for Dynamax Adventures is a bit concerning but hopefully they buffed the catch rates (or make it a guaranteed catch) of the Legendary Pokémon you face there.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Using rental Pokémon for Dynamax Adventures is a bit concerning but hopefully they buffed the catch rates (or make it a guaranteed catch) of the Legendary Pokémon you face there.
I'm a bit relieved that its rental Pokemon.

Otherwise, I wouldn't know if I would have to obtain some level 100 Pokemon which besides Zeraora, I really don't want to do that.

Eutus

Loveable Scoundrel
So I went back and rewatched the steam. Nothing indicates its only rental pokemon. Choosing rental pokemon for the npcs makes sense. Even if it would have been way cooler to help them train and catch better teams. Forcing me not to use my own is words I'm probably not allowed to say.

@Auraninja
I dont understand? Why wouldn't you want more level 100s? I mean it's easier now than ever. Stuff full of candies, do some raids, rinse and repeat? I feel like a jerk asking, but you tossed me for a loop there.

Edit: Yeah... I found where it says trainers are locked into rentals. That is incredibly foolish ... I dont ... just wow ... how did they think that was gonna keep a high player retention rate. I've got all the legendaries. Yall have fun.

Last edited:

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
The reason I don't want to raise my Pokemon to level 100 is because I still want to use them for a bit in game without them being too overpowered.

I've been trying to be careful for the Crowned Tundra, so that I can enjoy it to with a challenge.
Now I did use different Pokemon initially in IoA, but I eventually went back to some of my main team for a later portion.

Also, I don't mind the rental system. Rental systems can be fun if they are implemented right, as see the Battle Factory in Emerald.

Last edited:

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
From the looks of it, I guess Galarian Slowking is more defensive than offensive. Getting that impression. I can tell his ability will be something stallers will both love and hate depending on which stall/wall tactic they're using. It's signature move Eerie Spell isn't anything impressive unless maybe GameFreak plans on turning Slowking into a wall maybe? It's move and ability strikes me a support Pokemon for doubles.

Eutus

Loveable Scoundrel
@Auraninja
That I do understand. Fair enough.

I knew someone was gonna mention the battle frontier. And you're right, in battle modes where the challenge is use rando pokemon that's totally fine and valid and can make for a very interesting game mode. But this isn't some of the raid den adventures. It's not a modifier like "use rental teams to catch dialga with an improved shiny rate event" that I would be really cool with. But ALL max raid den battles? I see that as very different from the battle frontier, you used your pokemon in the other modes there.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
So I read in the serebii raid adventures page that we will only be able to use rental pokemon? Excuse me? What was the point of me transfering up my guys from the last 15+ years if I cant bring my shiny mewtwo with me into these group pve adventures?

That may have murdered my hype completely. I'm gonna go back and watch the direct since I really only skimmed it at work earlier ... but I thought we trained, and iv bred, and hunted shinys to um use them?? Can anyone confirm or elaborate?
Were you really that devoted to using your own pokemon for what amounts to a DLC sidequest? Part of the challenge/fun for this mode presumably is choosing the right rentals for the right situation, replacing the correct team member when needed, etc. It's sort of like a Battle Frontier challenge in that it gives you limits like this to work within. You're free to use your trained, iv bred, hunted shinies in pretty much every other part of the game so I don't see how this relatively small subset of Max Raids allowing only rentals is such a big deal.

Luthor

From the looks of it, I guess Galarian Slowking is more defensive than offensive. Getting that impression. I can tell his ability will be something stallers will both love and hate depending on which stall/wall tactic they're using. It's signature move Eerie Spell isn't anything impressive unless maybe GameFreak plans on turning Slowking into a wall maybe? It's move and ability strikes me a support Pokemon for doubles.

That makes sense for me that it might be quite defensive. Galarian Slowbro to me is a pokemon that I think of as being more offensive so it could be a fun contrast.

For me the most interesting bit so far is the description of Galarian Slowking describes it as increasing the intelligence of the Shellder instead of the main body like regular slowking. My head canon is that the Shellder is in charge.

Nave

Can't wait to use Galarian Slowking. Wasn't a big fan of Galarian Slowbro because of it's stat distribution, but it looks like Slowking will be more defensive, which is what I want with that typing (I'm hoping for 95 HP, 70 Atk, 100 Def, 95 Sp. Atk, 100 Sp. Def, 30 Speed). Looking forward to spreading Toxic and keeping my allies healthy.

Tapu Bulu is my favourite Tapu, so I'm stoked it's getting Grassy Glide and Play Rough.

Dynamax Adventures and Star Tournament look fun. I'm especially excited for the latter, because I like playing Doubles. I'm wary of the former, because I find it impossible to get people to join my raid battles.

Ability Patch is a welcome addition.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Wow, this presentation was even worse than I expected. I knew we probably wouldn't get much more info, but all they had to show was a minor QoL feature that was already leaked, details on a Galarian form that was previously revealed, the return of a cheap anime tie-in form, more pushing of everyone's favorite F2P scam, and a DLC bundle we probably all saw coming? Lame. I was expecting a "one more thing" kind of feature reveal, but it looks like they blew everything out on Crown Tundra's features months ago. This was pretty much 90% stuff we already knew about and the other 10% was just minor scraps.

Golden_Arcanine

Wow, this presentation was even worse than I expected. I knew we probably wouldn't get much more info, but all they had to show was a minor QoL feature that was already leaked, details on a Galarian form that was previously revealed, the return of a cheap anime tie-in form, more pushing of everyone's favorite F2P scam, and a DLC bundle we probably all saw coming? Lame. I was expecting a "one more thing" kind of feature reveal, but it looks like they blew everything out on Crown Tundra's features months ago. This was pretty much 90% stuff we already knew about and the other 10% was just minor scraps.

I'm not sure how much you're wanting them to release tbh. They release too much, and then the surprise for the DLC goes away. They release too little and they're being blasted for not teasing enough.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
The reason I don't want to raise my Pokemon to level 100 is because I still want to use them for a bit in game without them being too overpowered.

I've been trying to be careful for the Crowned Tundra, so that I can enjoy it to with a challenge.
Now I did use different Pokemon initial in IoA, but I eventually went back to some of my main team for a later portion.

Also, I don't mind the rental system. Rental systems can be fun if they are implemented right, as see the Battle Factory in Emerald.
Eh. Didn't like that in Emerald at times. Given that the Battle Factory people can have RNG in their favor a lot of the time.

I'm more of a fan of using my own Pokemon.

Wish that they made it where you could choose which one you wanted to use.

Last edited:

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty

Now I did use different Pokemon initial in IoA, but I eventually went back to some of my main team for a later portion.

It is just from what was seen on the website the initial rental Pokémon seem to be underwhelming (special Flareon, really?). Granted the format is loosely based off the Battle Factory where you can swap out your Pokémon for those you just beat but having players stuck with NFEs can be nerve wrecking once you face the Legendary.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
It is just from what was seen on the website the initial rental Pokémon seem to be underwhelming (special Flareon, really?). Granted the format is loosely based off the Battle Factory where you can swap out your Pokémon for those you just beat but having players stuck with NFEs can be nerve wrecking once you face the Legendary.
I would imagine, at least to some extent, the Pokemon you rent will be balanced with the legendary you try to capture.

I just hope the CPU partners are competent enough to help you with the Legendaries in case you want to catch them yourself.
If they are, then I would actually be thankful for this rental system, as the CPU partners are not left underleveled or with non-useful Pokemon.

Edit: Forgot a "not" in the last sentence.

Last edited:

Zadent

Honestly? I’m really glad they’re using rental Pokemon. The way raids scale, and wondering if and how they’d make legends a challenge, I assumed they would either just leave them at 5*, or make them almost Mewtwo/Zeraora tier. I feel this is a good alternative, as it makes it more of a challenge to get to it, can swap for Pokemon you caught in a raid as you go, building a good team to face it. Part of the issue I had with the Mewtwo raid was the need for very specific level 100s that I could not get, so I just never bothered.

this seems to strike a nice balance in execution between challenge and accessibility. They could have made it a level sync like in the Tower, but I think I like this a bit more for this, in all honesty. Learning new Pokemon and tricks it pretty fun for me, personally, and it also gives a challenge while allowing people without top level mons to be able to participate.

I do personally hope the Galar Star Tournament does level sync though. Wouldn’t be as fun of a tournament if I could just steamroll.

edit: I will add that it looks like there are cycling choices. There are likely more than 4 rentals, as it seems every trainer gets a choice between 3, with the previously selected being replaced.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Just pointing this out but apparently the official Pokémon site says that you will be able to encounter every legendary Pokémon from the main series games in the Crown Tundra.

And this include both the original and Galarian Forms of the legendary birds, Silvally, and every Sword and Shield legendary Pokémon, although some of the legendary Pokémon will be version exclusive.

Also when it says legendary Pokémon that is excluding the Ultra Beast and Mythical Pokémon.

That's technically not true since they don't include Darkrai, Arceus, or the Gen 4-5 mythicals

I completely understand. For me it's no fun to play the game and sweep through everything. I purposely try to keep myself from being overpowered so that the in-game opponents are actually challenging

ShadowForce720

That's technically not true since they don't include Darkrai, Arceus, or the Gen 4-5 mythicals

I completely understand. For me it's no fun to play the game and sweep through everything. I purposely try to keep myself from being overpowered so that the in-game opponents are actually challenging

No, it’s still true since I said excluding Ultra Beast and Mythical Pokémon.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I'm guessing as far as exclusives go:

Sword: Ho-oh, Latios, Groudon, Dialga, Reshiram, Xerneas, Sogaleo (Thundurus?)
Shield: Lugia, Latias, Kyogre, Palkia, Zekrom, Yveltal, Lunala (Tornadus?)