• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Isle of Armor & The Crown Tundra DLC - GENERAL DISCUSSION Thread

KillerDraco

1º) There was recently a picture about the Pokedex in the games where there were 5 spaces. 1 for main Galar's land, 1 for the Isle of Armor and 1 for the Crown Thundra. The other two must be for the future, unrevealed, DLC.

People said the empty space in Southern Kalos must mean a third version. People said the Battle Frontier model in OR/AS meant a Delta Emerald version.

Sometimes things just are what they are with no added significance. Much misinformation has been spread over the years because of people assuming a pattern is there when one is not.

2º) Not an opinion, entirely. Duraludon is said to have a rivalry with Tyranitar, and Duraludon has a Gigantamax form. So, how can these two Pokemon be rivals if they don't share similar abilities?

Dynamax/Gigantamax is not a naturally occurring phenomenon in the wild, this is literally a plot point in-game both in the main story and in the postgame story, and in the anime as well. When Pokemon Dynamax/Gigantamax outside of official league battles it's considered a major crisis. So flavor text about rivalry in the wild really has no bearing on this.

As we saw with Mega Evolution, just because something is a counterpart to another Pokemon, has significance, etc., doesn't necessarily mean they're going to get a new form. Could they? Sure. But it's not a given and hardly more evidence of additional DLC.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Consider the chance of them making more DLC "Non-zero but unlikely". Doesn't mean Gen 8 is over, far from it really. DLC isn't the only way to continue the generation; we just know DLC took the place of a third version, but anything else is still on the table, whether it be remakes, more Let's Go games, or something else altogether different. We just don't know.

DKN117

Legend Tamer
Hey Google, search "Max Raid Adventure", "can't beat Reshiram", "lost three times already"

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
I finally got around to beating the Isle of Armor story.

It was a fun experience. I really enjoyed the island atmosphere. The music is splendid! One of my favorite activities was traveling on the vast open waters and visiting little islands. Running away from Sharpedo felt so real haha.

I was impressed with Isle of Armor. I'll be starting up Crown Tundra tonight and I'm excited.

Orphalesion

As we saw with Mega Evolution, just because something is a counterpart to another Pokemon, has significance, etc., doesn't necessarily mean they're going to get a new form. Could they? Sure. But it's not a given and hardly more evidence of additional DLC.

^ In addition to that, even before Mega Evolution Pokemon got regular evolutions when their counterparts didn't:

Weepinbell didn't get an alternate evolution even though Gloom did.
Pinsir didn't get an evolution, even though Scyther did.
Jynx didn't get an evolution when Electabuzz and Magmar did (the three were paired up in earlier gens, and all got baby Pokemon in Gen 2)

Now some of those are cut Pokemon, apprently. But well, cut Pokemon don't really count imho, I can't have a cut Pokemon on my team, can I?
So counterparts of Pokemon missing out on new forms/evolutions is as old as Gen 2.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I finally got around to beating the Isle of Armor story.

It was a fun experience. I really enjoyed the island atmosphere. The music is splendid! One of my favorite activities was traveling on the vast open waters and visiting little islands. Running away from Sharpedo felt so real haha.

I was impressed with Isle of Armor. I'll be starting up Crown Tundra tonight and I'm excited.
The Crown Tundra is pretty big and some of the quests take awhile to do but realistically the Calyrex quest shouldn’t take more than an hour and a half if you have high leveled Pokémon on your team.

Golden_Arcanine

A shame you can only get only one Legendary in a Max Lair trip, but the Shiny rates are actually better than before. You catch one, that's it.

...Though nothing is stopping a player from using another user account to hunt for Shinies.

I've had rotten luck in the Dynamax Adventures. Not a single shiny and I've got the Shiny Charm and probably done close to 50 raids...

KillerDraco

I've had rotten luck in the Dynamax Adventures. Not a single shiny and I've got the Shiny Charm and probably done close to 50 raids...

I mean that's still well within the odds, the shiny rate is 1/100 with the Shiny Charm, which equates to 1%. Not getting any shinies in 50 raids is unfortunate but not outside of the probability odds.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Haven’t gotten any Shinies during Dynamax Adventures but I have managed to snag Mewtwo, Ho-oh, a G-Max Hatterene, a pretty decent Jolteon, and a Nidoking so I didn’t have to waste any Max Mushrooms or Evolution Stones.

Bus

I haven't found any shinies in the Dynamax raids either, but I am having fun with them. I haven't bothered Shiny Hunting the legends and only have a couple left (Cresselia and two of the 'Elf' legends from Gen 4).

It's more dangerous, per sé, but I've started to do Dynamax Raids without inviting people so I can gauruntee myself the pokemon I want in the raid. Too many times have I seen Tyrantrum's outline in the Raid Den and had the human players I'm with willingly skip him. He could've been shiny! Why?! Why skip him when we know the end 'boss' is a Fire Type?!?!?

DKN117

Legend Tamer
Just went up against Zygarde for the first time... With "Land's Wrath" and "Thousand Arrows", it rapestomped us so hard we didn't even get it down to yellow HP before "vIcToR wAs bLoWn oUt oF tHe dEn!!!1!"

Just found this on TV-Tropes' YMMV page for Sword & Shield, and it sums the issue up perfectly (except for that that, again, I didn't even last long enough to trigger Power Construct):

"From Dynamax Adventures, Zygarde is a nightmare to fight, even compared to most of the other legendary Pokémon you encounter. To start, you are most likely worn down from the prior fights with other Dynamaxed Pokémon in the dens, along with having a rental Pokémon (or a Pokémon you caught from a previous Raid). But that's not what the problem is. Once Zygarde's HP drops at or below 50%, its Power Construct ability will change it into its Complete Form and effectively replenish its health. Not only did it heal, but it also gained massive defensive boost. If you or your allies, AI or not, got a poor draw with the Pokémon available, you're in for an incredibly bad time. In addition to all of this, Zygarde has access to two party-wide attacks in Thousand Arrows and Land's Wrath, which can make short work of any party not prepared to deal with Ground-type attacks. Absolutely do this fight with friends if you can (to avoid any bad move choices from AI allies) and make sure to have at least one Ice or Fairy type on your team as well as access to Wide Guard, because while Zygarde's game never got made, Game Freak clearly want you to suffer for it."

Golden_Arcanine

I mean that's still well within the odds, the shiny rate is 1/100 with the Shiny Charm, which equates to 1%. Not getting any shinies in 50 raids is unfortunate but not outside of the probability odds.

I was under the impression that each individual Pokemon had a 1% chance of being shiny. Not that it was a 1% chance of being shiny in the Adventure.

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
Just went up against Zygarde for the first time... With "Land's Wrath" and "Thousand Arrows", it rapestomped us so hard we didn't even get it down to yellow HP before "vIcToR wAs bLoWn oUt oF tHe dEn!!!1!"
Tell me about it. A disgusting amount of good luck is needed to defeat that wretched danger-noodle.

I've never encountered a Shiny in Dynamax Adventures, but I haven't really Shiny hunted for anything. The best Shinies in my opinion are the ones you just bump into at random when you least expect it, so I don't actively Shiny hunt.

DKN117

Legend Tamer
Okay, attempt #2, I've got a Clefable, my CPUs have a Jinx, an Exeggutor, and an Audino. Jinx has been knocked out once, but that's okay. Zygarde's in its Complete Forme, but we've got it down into yellow, we can still do thi-

LAND'S WRATH!!!

Jinx KO'd!
Clefable KO'd!
Audino KO'd!

"vIcToR wAs bLoWn oUt uV tEh dEn!!!1!"

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Bus

I was under the impression that each individual Pokemon had a 1% chance of being shiny. Not that it was a 1% chance of being shiny in the Adventure.
It's 1/100 chance in the Dynamax Adventures with the Shiny Charm (which equates to a 1%) and a 1/300 chance without it (.03%...slightly higher than card rate drop in Ragnarok Online)

lablablabz

Just found this on TV-Tropes' YMMV page for Sword & Shield, and it sums the issue up perfectly (except for that that, again, I didn't even last long enough to trigger Power Construct):

"From Dynamax Adventures, Zygarde is a nightmare to fight, even compared to most of the other legendary Pokémon you encounter. To start, you are most likely worn down from the prior fights with other Dynamaxed Pokémon in the dens, along with having a rental Pokémon (or a Pokémon you caught from a previous Raid). But that's not what the problem is. Once Zygarde's HP drops at or below 50%, its Power Construct ability will change it into its Complete Form and effectively replenish its health. Not only did it heal, but it also gained massive defensive boost. If you or your allies, AI or not, got a poor draw with the Pokémon available, you're in for an incredibly bad time. In addition to all of this, Zygarde has access to two party-wide attacks in Thousand Arrows and Land's Wrath, which can make short work of any party not prepared to deal with Ground-type attacks. Absolutely do this fight with friends if you can (to avoid any bad move choices from AI allies) and make sure to have at least one Ice or Fairy type on your team as well as access to Wide Guard, because while Zygarde's game never got made, Game Freak clearly want you to suffer for it."

It really comes down to luck huh. I just faced Zygarde for the first time last night in Endless and my team and I just breezed past it. I had a Glalie and we had a Fairy Pokemon in our team.

DKN117

Legend Tamer
SUCCESS!!! G-Max Hatterene's G-Max Smite inducing Confusion + CPU Basculin's Ice Fang inducing Frozen stat + CPU Dubwool and Clefairy being tanky enough to survive a Land's Wrath = VICTORY!!

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I won with Abomasnow. It's wasn't the Snow Warning ability one but it still got the job done by spamming Avalanche.

KillerDraco

Honestly, grass types are underrated against Zygarde and Abomasnow is probably the best one in Dynamax Adventures for it thanks to its ice typing as well. Since Thousand Arrows ignores immunities, resistances become more valuable, and only grass and bug resist it.

That said, even if it's hard to avoid Thousand Arrows (and to a lesser extent Land's Wrath), you can still mitigate it. Reflect is helpful and Wide Guard is the GOAT. If you don't have one of those, things to lower its attack such as Charm, Will-o-Wisp, etc. have value as well. Just trying to brute force it is often what leads to wipes, since half of its movepool hits your entire party, one of those attacks ignores immunities, and Power Construct gives it a second wind that means you potentially have to eat more of them. Most of my successes against Zygarde have come as a direct result of neutering its multi-target attacks.