• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Isle of Armor & The Crown Tundra DLC - RUMOR & SPECULATION Thread [Spoilers]

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Water/Fighting’s another possible typing for Intelleon that I’m surprised hasn’t been brought up much. Would match really well with the spy theme.
I suppose but Ghost would work best to work in the stealth aspect of the spy concept.

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
For starter final evolutions, I just Groakie ends up Grass/Dark just so he can complete a trio with Greninja and Incineroar lol
Grass/Dark would work if they go with a punk rock drummer theme (Grookey's final evolution supposedly bangs a massive drum). Personally I hope there's one or two Pokemon in either Galar or Generation 9 with a guitar and bass so you can have a full band with them, Primarina and Grookey.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Water/Fighting’s another possible typing for Intelleon that I’m surprised hasn’t been brought up much. Would match really well with the spy theme.
I think people just don't want Water/Fighting due to the prevalence of Fighting type starters in general and would prefer something a little more original.

I honestly don't care what type Sobble ends up, since I'm probably not picking him anyway, and in my mind, no Water starter is ever going to top Popplio.

CakeForYou

I have no problem with Water/Fighting as a combination, especially since it's relatively rare, but I definitely don't think it fits a spy. Fighting Pokémon tend to be very direct in combat, while a sneaky character like an intelligence agent would make a lot more sense as Ghost, Dark or Poison. Hopefully it's not so similar to Greninja, though.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
You're correct! I am a reptile hobbyist/keeper. Chameleons are not poisonous or venomous, and Komodos have two glands in the lower jaw which secrete toxic proteins, which act as an anticoagulant/ blood thinner. Sorry for all the unnecessary information lol

Don't worry, there is no such thing as unnecessary information in Pokémon. These guys did their research before coming up with these Pokémon, and it's up to the fans to figure out how they connect to the real world, or at least real-world mythology.

I have no problem with Water/Fighting as a combination, especially since it's relatively rare, but I definitely don't think it fits a spy. Fighting Pokémon tend to be very direct in combat, while a sneaky character like an intelligence agent would make a lot more sense as Ghost, Dark or Poison. Hopefully it's not so similar to Greninja, though.

If Sobble's final evolution evokes the likes of a hardboiled detective or a James Bond type of secret agent, I can definitely see the Fighting-type work. Both of those character archetypes do a lot of fighting, as the novels, movies, comic books, and so forth have them run into a lot of bad guys, whom they have to defeat to proceed. Both types of characters are sneaky and would prefer to avoid fights, but they are more than capable of dealing with thugs, mooks, gangsters, and other assorted criminal organization types.

Think of it this way: The most famous fictional character of this archetype is Batman. There is no way anyone can argue he doesn't do a lot of fighting.

Also, there've been a bunch of Figting-type starters, but none have been assigned to the Water-type one yet.

CakeForYou

If Sobble's final evolution evokes the likes of a hardboiled detective or a James Bond type of secret agent, I can definitely see the Fighting-type work. Both of those character archetypes do a lot of fighting, as the novels, movies, comic books, and so forth have them run into a lot of bad guys, whom they have to defeat to proceed. Both types of characters are sneaky and would prefer to avoid fights, but they are more than capable of dealing with thugs, mooks, gangsters, and other assorted criminal organization types.

Think of it this way: The most famous fictional character of this archetype is Batman. There is no way anyone can argue he doesn't do a lot of fighting.
While a lot of fictional spies do indeed engage in a lot of hand-to-hand combat, it's not what makes them stand out among other action archetypes. Stealth, gadgets, concealed weapons and intel are what separate them from other action heroes, martial artists and superheroes. All Pokémon fight, but it's how they fight that informs their type(s).

I also don't think they'd have chosen a chameleon, an animal known for its ability to become almost "invisible", if Fighting was going to be the focus. The first trailer even drew attention to Sobble choosing to hide from Grookey. And of course, we know Scorbunny has a lot of Fighting moves and is likely going to fulfill that role in the trio, whether it actually receives the type or not.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
There's a starter evolution and secondary typing thread.

You're not supposed to talk about leaks or rumors outside of this thread so as to not spoil anything for people who don't want to be spoiled. Since it was the Affleck leak that stated Sobble's final evolution will be spy themed, and no official source has confirmed that yet, any discussion about its typing based on that information probably belongs here.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
You're not supposed to talk about leaks or rumors outside of this thread so as to not spoil anything for people who don't want to be spoiled. Since it was the Affleck leak that stated Sobble's final evolution will be spy themed, and no official source has confirmed that yet, any discussion about its typing based on that information probably belongs here.
Exactly. If/when we find things about them, then discussion about them in the secondary typing/starter evolution thread will be fine.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
While a lot of fictional spies do indeed engage in a lot of hand-to-hand combat, it's not what makes them stand out among other action archetypes. Stealth, gadgets, concealed weapons and intel are what separate them from other action heroes, martial artists and superheroes. All Pokémon fight, but it's how they fight that informs their type(s).

I also don't think they'd have chosen a chameleon, an animal known for its ability to become almost "invisible", if Fighting was going to be the focus. The first trailer even drew attention to Sobble choosing to hide from Grookey. And of course, we know Scorbunny has a lot of Fighting moves and is likely going to fulfill that role in the trio, whether it actually receives the type or not.

Yeah, admittedly, it's a stretch.

These characters are not above hand-to-hand fighting, however. Rorschach in Watchmen is a hardboiled detective who gets into a lot of fistfights with gangsters, though the behavior of the other characters suggest this is a negative character trait, that he has a lot of pent-up rage and takes it out on said gangsters. The idea is that pretty often, in spy stories and detective stories, the protagonist gets caught, a bunch of thugs show up, and he or she has no choice but to actually defeat all of them to move onward. It's not a major part of these stories, but they're there. Both archetypes' general style, if they have nothing to assist them, are old-fashioned fisticuffs, with no formal training (and James Bond has had to do this many times). There are Fighting-types who embody this fighting style: the Mankey line, the Timburr line, the Scraggy line, the Pancham line, and the Stufful line.

I don't think it'll gain the Fighting-type. There are few to no Fighting-type moves that would work with the spy theme, since most of them are about refined, practiced punches and kicks, and while the likes of James Bond and Batman have learned martial arts, it's not a defining part of themselves, and they only use it as a last resort or to quickly subdue an opponent when in a hurry. (And most writers just have them do said fisticuffs anyway.) I think the Ghost-type would be the most fitting, since spies fade in and out of existence as if they were ghosts, though not literally.

By the way, though chameleons that change color can do so to camouflage, and they're intelligent enough to camouflage to multiple textures at once, more often, it'll change colors to indicate its mood. For instance, when angry, they turn black with brightly colored speckles here and there. And, as it seems, they're prone to getting very angry when encountering other chameleons, as a lot of such species are territorial (specific to each other, not to other animals) and will duel when they meet, fighting by slapping each other.

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
I think it wouldnt make much sense as it would only give Grookey a weakness against fighting types.

What about the ghost immunity, that's more than nothing.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
What about Sobble ending up Water/Fighting to match Chesnaught and all the Fire/Fighting starters? :D

Fine for me too. For a long time I have been hoping for a water type starter just so I can make a thematic trio with Blaziken and Chesnaught.

Though since Dexit is a thing now, I may not be able to use it even if we get one

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
What about the ghost immunity, that's more than nothing.
And the STAB Normal moves would be useless on Ghost types and the Grass STAB would be even worse against the Litwick and Gastly lines. So Grookey getting another typing that can at least do neutral to super effective damage to other types would be beneficial.

DannyDark

And the STAB Normal moves would be useless on Ghost types and the Grass STAB would be even worse against the Litwick and Gastly lines. So Grookey getting another typing that can at least do neutral to super effective damage to other types would be beneficial.

Normal is neutral against 15 out of 18 types? One of the 3 of which Grass is superefffective against.
And I'm not too sure why you named two random Ghost types that Grass is not very effective against? Frillish and Golett lines. See?

EmeraldArcanine

#TeamScorbunny
Normal is neutral against 15 out of 18 types? One of the 3 of which Grass is superefffective against.
And I'm not too sure why you named two random Ghost types that Grass is not very effective against? Frillish and Golett lines. See?
And to be fair it being useless against Ghost is no different any other immunity.
I doesn't seem fair to judge the typing combo because it's an added Normal type, it's still the most neutral type in the game and is resisted by few (Three types, one being immune which it is also immune towards. A trade off, if you ask me. Just use grass moves), so all one has to worry about is the ghost stuff and the added fighting type weakness. It fits Grookey as sound moves are mostly normal type too.

I can't see Grookey being useful against the likes of the Litwick and Ghastly lines anyways, unless they learn some rock move for the former or something. And even then, that's not a problem. So what right? Unless you're literally wanting to keep that thing in when those are out (Which would be stupid to anyways, people even in competitive (I hate using competitive arguments SM but that seems to be the main argument here when people complain about typings as if casual play where one usually doesn't give a damn doesn't matter/exist so I have no choice) switch out if they feel they're gonna get wrecked.), it's not even a problem to begin with.

Last edited:

Bus

Don't forget that being part Normal type usually gives said pokemon access to just about every type of move, so if Grookey ends up being Grass/Normal, it will probably end up with the most expansive moveset out of any starter.

I'm not really a fan of pokemon being part Normal (since I always viewed Normal as type-less), but it's pretty much all we have to represent Sound and it looks like Grookey's going to be have that incorporated into his design scheme somehow.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I was saying that Grookey being Grass/Normal could hurt its usefulness in battles. The second typing of a Pokémon generally is added to give more coverage.