• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Isle of Armor & The Crown Tundra DLC - RUMOR & SPECULATION Thread [Spoilers]

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I pretty much started getting digital copies because I'm sick of Game Stop and buying digital means I get to play faster.

I plan to be up midnight sharp to begin my journey.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
Muuuuch prefer physical copies for the sake of collecting and making sure my money is going somewhere. I don't know why this mentality hasn't prevented me from buying music straight off of iTunes though...
I also don't really want to get into buying memory cards to make sure I have the space for my games so I'd rather have the save data be the only thing that goes into it, and not a full blown game.

Sham

The Guardian of War
I don’t care about collecting but I’m just superstitious about a game having an error if you digitally downloaded it. If I have a physical copy of a game and it’s something wrong; I can always return it. There’s also something quite nice about unwrapping a game...almost like a child like feeling.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I don’t care about collecting but I’m just superstitious about a game having an error if you digitally downloaded it. If I have a physical copy of a game and it’s something wrong; I can always return it. There’s also something quite nice about unwrapping a game...almost like a child like feeling.
Oh can so relate. Ran into corruption errors on my Vita and some of the saves were screwed. It's why I'm much more of a fan of physical copies of games.

Sham

The Guardian of War
Oh can so relate. Ran into corruption errors on my Vita and some of the saves were screwed. It's why I'm much more of a fan of physical copies of games.
One of my co-workers tried downloading Warframe for the Switch and it gave him a huge error after he waited hours for downloading. That right there was my red flag. I guess we’re just cautious people

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
One of my co-workers tried downloading Warframe for the Switch and it gave him a huge error after he waited hours for downloading. That right there was my red flag. I guess we’re just cautious people
Woah, that's not good. Definitely. Yep. I'm planning on getting PS plus when I can to help back up saves. Better to be safe than sorry. And it's why I don't like when some games don't cloud save. If something happens, you're up a creek and have to start again.

TrainerFuurin

I don't mind physical copy, but I live in a third-world country and not even in the capital city. Sellers in the capital city will need to import the games from neighbour country before distribute them in other cities. The whole process until I could hold my own cartridge will take around 4-5 days after the official release, and I have taken lessons from previous pre-orders that it's not ideal method for if I want to play the game on day one. Moving on Switch, now we have access to pre-purchase and pre-download games, which is more than just a convenience for me. I mean, it could take a whole day for my internet to finish downloading 10.3 GB anyway, so I really appreciate that we can even pre-download the game nowadays. Just like Ash says, technology is a wonderful thing! :D

I've said this before, but this time I would digitally purchase one of the version and physically buy the other. Now, if only I know which version I'd like to play first......

Fairy Queen

Lover of the Fairy type
I usually get my physical copy from Gamestop but I've seen a few people knock them. Is there something I am missing? Why do people not like buying through them?

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I'm sure an effort will be made to try and keep things spoiler free, though some things will definately slip through the cracks.

ON the flip side, there are also the people who do stuff like put spoilers on YouTube thumbnails. They are the worst. Over here though, I think people should be safe.

I'm honestly way too busy of a person to worry about how often GF chooses to reveal information about Sw/Sh, although I do like having some surprises in the games. I loved SM and all, but revealing nearly the entire game during its hype cycle just didn't cut it for me.

So I'm fine with how they're doing things for now. It'll probably be like D/P, where we didn't get the plot or most of the Pokemon until after the game's out. I just won't play my game until all the Pokemon have been revealed, and I can plan my team.

Yeah, and there have been other games that have come out and will come out between now and when Sword and Shield come out. For the Switch alone, recently released are Overwatch and A Hat in Time, Luigi's Mansion 3 is right around the corner, like literally 2 hours away, and between now and 15th of November are New Super Lucky's Tale (I'll be getting that) and Katrielle and the Millionaire's Conspiracy. I know I'm missing some others too.

It's the holiday season. Lots of games coming out, and if you're in retail, distribution, or manufacturing, this is the time of year where work really starts accelerating like crazy.

Nintendo games, hell yeah.
Cause if I'm paying $60 for a game, it's a physical copy. Plus.... the storage issue.

I get digital on Xbox, where the sales are actually good

Well, I'm paying $50, but yeah, your point still stands because I'm probably part of a small minority who gets to pay $10 less for it.

The only reason I still buy physical copies of games on my PS4 or Switch is down to storage capacity on the device. But now that I have a good sized SD card for my Switch I will be moving to digital for the convenience. Being a PC gamer as well I have been using downloads for years and it's just so much easier and as I very rarely ever trade a game in, I'm not losing out on getting a bit of cash back from older games.

That brings up a good point. There are many people who play games to sell them back or trade them later. GameStop runs on these sorts of people, and their marketing is designed to keep that from dying.

I curse Animal Crossing as its premise is a game where you do chores and somehow it is fun.

0uBvh7u.png

I pretty much started getting digital copies because I'm sick of Game Stop and buying digital means I get to play faster.

I plan to be up midnight sharp to begin my journey.

There used to be a Walmart around here that did midnight releases too. Got there for several such games. They stopped being open 24 hours though. I think that Walmart was the last remaining business where I live to get games at midnight that isn't GameStop.

The other thing to be concerned about is the seller pulling all copies, including ones people have downloaded. I don't care if I am refunded for it; I'd still be beside myself if that happened. The example that comes to mind the most is an ironic one, when Amazon pulled 1984 from its Kindle service and removed all copies of 1984 that anyone had downloaded onto their Kindles. If you ever have to keep paying regular fees to use something you download, and you'll never actually pay it off, that's a red flag that you don't actually own it, like Adobe Flash.

With physical copies, as long as you take care of your media and protect it from degredation or destruction, you can keep it for as long as you want. They can't take it away from you.

I usually get my physical copy from Gamestop but I've seen a few people knock them. Is there something I am missing? Why do people not like buying through them?

Depending on how long they've been familiar with GameStop, it can be one of a few possibilities:
1. GameStop's scummy ways of treating their employees, such as their quotas on customers buying and selling used games and, supposedly, that they're paid to their own pseudo-banking system, which can take away their money when they no longer work there (though the validity of this is in question, since it's illegal)
2. Said quotas had turned into a kind of annoying insistence on getting you to buy used games or sell your existing ones. They won't leave you alone, but that's because they're ordered not to leave you alone.
3. Due to its nature, GameStop hires a lot of video game fans. This has an ugly side though, in that many GameStop employees (not all, and not even the majority) are heavily invested in Console Wars, or favoring one franchise over another, or treating male customers differently from female customers, etc.
4. Their monopolistic business practices, in which they buy up all of their competitors smaller than themselves. They bought Babbage's, Funcoland, Electronics Boutique, and Planet X, and they drove Play-N-Trade to bankruptcy.
5. They are big enough to get exclusivity rights, at least temporarily. For instance, the Super Smash Bros. Ness amiibo was GameStop exclusive for several months. They also do a lot of exclusive pre-order bonuses, though to be fair, many other businesses do this now, so it's not that big a deal anymore.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
There used to be a Walmart around here that did midnight releases too. Got there for several such games. They stopped being open 24 hours though. I think that Walmart was the last remaining business where I live to get games at midnight that isn't GameStop.

Buying a game at midnight isn't the same as playing it at midnight.

The point is to not have to leave your house. You just hop on the moment the game launches.

Sham

The Guardian of War
I find actually waiting for 12am releases kinda fun. I did it with Sun and you meet a lot of cool people. It’s a tragedy most game stores don’t do midnight releases with popular games.

Fairy Queen

Lover of the Fairy type
Depending on how long they've been familiar with GameStop, it can be one of a few possibilities:
1. GameStop's scummy ways of treating their employees, such as their quotas on customers buying and selling used games and, supposedly, that they're paid to their own pseudo-banking system, which can take away their money when they no longer work there (though the validity of this is in question, since it's illegal)
2. Said quotas had turned into a kind of annoying insistence on getting you to buy used games or sell your existing ones. They won't leave you alone, but that's because they're ordered not to leave you alone.
3. Due to its nature, GameStop hires a lot of video game fans. This has an ugly side though, in that many GameStop employees (not all, and not even the majority) are heavily invested in Console Wars, or favoring one franchise over another, or treating male customers differently from female customers, etc.
4. Their monopolistic business practices, in which they buy up all of their competitors smaller than themselves. They bought Babbage's, Funcoland, Electronics Boutique, and Planet X, and they drove Play-N-Trade to bankruptcy.
5. They are big enough to get exclusivity rights, at least temporarily. For instance, the Super Smash Bros. Ness amiibo was GameStop exclusive for several months. They also do a lot of exclusive pre-order bonuses, though to be fair, many other businesses do this now, so it's not that big a deal anymore.

Thank you. I've never experienced this problem at my Gamestop, I usually just come in, buy the game, and leave. They dont hound me to buy more. But good to know.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Thank you. I've never experienced this problem at my Gamestop, I usually just come in, buy the game, and leave. They dont hound me to buy more. But good to know.

Yeah, there was one time they refused to sell me Pokémon Battle Revolution. About a week later, GameStop had an event where stores held miniature tournaments, and another one I visited not only not hold it, but there was one guy working there who would snark at anyone who asked about it until they left the store.

It was pretty unprofessional both times, and in both cases, I suspected it was because they disliked Pokémon enough that they would not willingly associate with it.

I see a lot less of it nowadays, though I still see workers there treating male customers differently than female ones (though whether they're treated better or worse depends on the individual).

Creyk

I prefer buying physical just because the boxes are so beautiful, I love looking at them, and the feel of opening them and having that small physical card containing the game is just so personable, whereas when it just exists digitally it's more abstract - you can't touch it. So for that reason I can even wait a couple of days for the physical editions if possible, if everyone else is ahead of you with playing the game at least the internet is full of advice about what to do where, which pokemon are available in which area, and stuff like that.

Orphalesion

Yikes! That must be a US thing, I have never experienced or even heard of stuff like that happen. And the used games are just a bin in the corner of the store around here.

Yeah, there was one time they refused to sell me Pokémon Battle Revolution. About a week later, GameStop had an event where stores held miniature tournaments, and another one I visited not only not hold it, but there was one guy working there who would snark at anyone who asked about it until they left the store.

It was pretty unprofessional both times, and in both cases, I suspected it was because they disliked Pokémon enough that they would not willingly associate with it.

I see a lot less of it nowadays, though I still see workers there treating male customers differently than female ones (though whether they're treated better or worse depends on the individual).

Woah how did they keep their jobs?