• We're currently experiencing a minor issue with our email system preventing emails for new registrations and verifications going out. We're currently working to fix this
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Isle of Armor & The Crown Tundra DLC - RUMOR & SPECULATION Thread [Spoilers]

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Just want to say a few words in support of Galar and this generation - but emphasizing that I am a Brit, and have lived in London for most of my life.

Galar has been a reflection of so much of my heritage, and the attention to detail from the names of places, designs of buildings, the Pokemon selected and found, even the yellow warning panels on the trains and the styles of the tickets for isle of armor and crown tundra (orange and grey) that reflect my upbringing has been incredible. Life affirming. Beautiful at times. It's been a love letter to Britain and I love the designers for it.

I can't express how, in one of the most difficult years of my life, Pokemon Shield has been a magnificent comfort and aid to my mental health, just by having those links to my country in it, reminding me of all the good stuff we have and all the rich heritage. The nods to industrial history, kings and queens of England, pubs, football stadiums, our railways, and more - the designers of this game did an amazing job.

So by all means criticize Shield where it gets things wrong. But remember that it is, at the end of the day, a product of many creative minds, working hard to produce something meaningful and fun. Shield's been the game of 2020 for me. I doubt I am alone in that!
I agree with u that Pokemon in general is major comfort for me, when I am sad.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Just want to say a few words in support of Galar and this generation - but emphasizing that I am a Brit, and have lived in London for most of my life.

Galar has been a reflection of so much of my heritage, and the attention to detail from the names of places, designs of buildings, the Pokemon selected and found, even the yellow warning panels on the trains and the styles of the tickets for isle of armor and crown tundra (orange and grey) that reflect my upbringing has been incredible. Life affirming. Beautiful at times. It's been a love letter to Britain and I love the designers for it.

I can't express how, in one of the most difficult years of my life, Pokemon Shield has been a magnificent comfort and aid to my mental health, just by having those links to my country in it, reminding me of all the good stuff we have and all the rich heritage. The nods to industrial history, kings and queens of England, pubs, football stadiums, our railways, and more - the designers of this game did an amazing job.

So by all means criticize Shield where it gets things wrong. But remember that it is, at the end of the day, a product of many creative minds, working hard to produce something meaningful and fun. Shield's been the game of 2020 for me. I doubt I am alone in that!
I agree with some of the flaws like the handholding, the short routes, and the lack of direct interactions with plot points, but Galar has still become one of my top three favorite generations (the other two being Johto & Unova). While not as big as past generations, the region still has a grandiose feel with the scale and attention to detail , and the environments are on par with Alola & Johto in terms of portraying culture and lore of their real world counterpart. Plus, this generation has produced my favorite batch of pokemon that turn out to reflect the UK in a variety of creative ways once you look into their influences (which is something I always love doing) and for once there's not a single design I hate. There are some that I hate based on my in-game experiences with them like Skwovet & Greedent, but there's not a single pokemon in Galar that I hate because of how they look.

While the story is a bit simple & has the same problems as the other 3D pokemon games (and I've had to rely on outside sources like Twilight Wings or my imagination to fill in the gaps of the plot or characters' storylines), I still couldn't help but get sucked in thanks to the gym challenge combing classic gym battles and the trials with a sports motif, and with Hop's development. His arc basically made him the friendly rival equivalent to Silver in my opinion, even though the games' limitations did hold him back a bit).

Plus, like other players who were drawn in during Gen 6 (assuming), Galar helped me get into competitive battling. I'm still more-so a roleplayer and I'm completely against formats or communities like Smogon who try to take the unpredictability out of battles, but the games' sports motif, Dynamaxing, and the National Dex cut convinced me to give competitive battles a chance and now I have so much fun doing them. I honestly feel like Ash or one of the protagonists form the Adventures manga since I'm using my in-game teams from my roleplaying playthroughs against other trainers around the world and it's become a new challenge that I'm really excited about. Now I'm more confident when taking on pokemon that at first I thought were unkillable gods like Landorus and the Ultra Beasts.

Personally, I'm fine with whatever happens next year (new DLC, remakes, or no game), but despite their flaws Galar now has a special place in my heart and Gen 8's currently one of the best pokemon games in my opinion.

Last edited:

Pokemon Power

Personally, I'm fine with whatever happens next year (new DLC, remakes, or no game), but despite their flaws Galar now has a special place in my heart and Gen 8's currently one of the best pokemon games in my opinion.
Well, Sword and Shield have beaten most of the other initial pair games in lifetime sales. Still trekking behind Red and Blue, and Gold and Silver of course, but that could change down the line.

Dragalge

Custom title: If specified, this will replace the
Well, Sword and Shield have beaten most of the other initial pair games in lifetime sales. Still trekking behind Red and Blue, and Gold and Silver of course, but that could change down the line.
No way is SWSH beating RB. That's too big of a milestone to achieve. GS is more likely.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony

I always felt that Game Freak is a company full of artists. They want to get a particular look across, and they feel that you do that in the details. This is an area I've felt Game Freak has always excelled at. Even if they're not as good with 3-D graphics as they might want to be, they still have room to make all those little touches, and it's something I appreciate, as I'm the sort of person who looks at little details myself.

Probably helps that a number of people currently at Game Freak used to work with Shigesato Itoi (creator of the MOTHER series). He's one of the most meticulous people in the entire video game industry. In EarthBound, for instance, there is a sound effect for stepping on wet ground used only in the game's epilogue. Bear in mind that this was during the 16-bit era, when most games didn't have footstep sounds at all or had just one for all terrain; it was because Itoi felt that footstep sounds should match the terrain the characters are walking on. They started showing up at Game Freak roughly around Pokémon Diamond and Pearl's development.

Until they make a game based on somewhere I live (and there's a nonzero chance at that, as there is a lot of Japanese tourism here, at least during non-pandemic conditions), I won't be able to fully appreciate those details the way you did with the UK though. Helps that they actually have someone from the UK to consult for accuracy.

Carrick2097

Chances that a patch will be rolled out for the rest of the missing mons (except of course the MEs, PRs, Ultra Necrozma)?
I think most would agree that the remaining past mons will return in the next pair of main series games, be they DP remakes or something else. I do imagine that at the time of these games' release, or shortly thereafter, the remaining mons returning in said games would then be patched into SwSh, for transfer via trade or Pokemon Home. Only my opinion though.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Chances that a patch will be rolled out for the rest of the missing mons (except of course the MEs, PRs, Ultra Necrozma)?
I don't know if there will even be a patch, but I don't think that we are getting one unless we are getting more Sword and Shield DLC.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I think that it possible that a smaller DLC could be released early next year alongside an announcement of DP remakes which seem to be hinted heavily in SwSh. Hear me out before you tell me 5hat I’m wrong and I’ll explain my reasoning for thinking this. Out of every Fossil Pokémon from each region, only Sinnoh’s didn’t return. Chingling is the only Baby Pokémon to be missing and the item necessary to get one via breeding has been in the base game of SwSh since the beginning. A huge number of the remaining Pokémon not in the DLC updates are found in Sinnoh and Sinnoh has the second most missing amount of Pokémon found in its Dex with only Hoenn having a couple more MIA but several are found in both regions.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I think that it possible that a smaller DLC could be released early next year alongside an announcement of DP remakes which seem to be hinted heavily in SwSh. Hear me out before you tell me 5hat I’m wrong and I’ll explain my reasoning for thinking this. Out of every Fossil Pokémon from each region, only Sinnoh’s didn’t return. Chingling is the only Baby Pokémon to be missing and the item necessary to get one via breeding has been in the base game of SwSh since the beginning. A huge number of the remaining Pokémon not in the DLC updates are found in Sinnoh and Sinnoh has the second most missing amount of Pokémon found in its Dex with only Hoenn having a couple more MIA but several are found in both regions.
I don't think that there will be any more DLC because of the physical bundle.

Bus

There was some kind of rumor floating around that a new mainline remaster of the pokemon games is coming. Most likely Diamond & Pearl, but there's a chance it could be some sort of Let's Go Johto, too.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
And I'm thinking most likely it's full of hot air. They're looking for clicks and views and know that people are desperate for a new game.

KillerDraco

The Enforcer
Staff member
Super Mod
Rumors can be safely disregarded, but in all likelihood there will be something more in Gen 8, we just don't know what it will be or when. A Pokemon Generation lasts, on average, about 3-4 years. We only just passed the 1-year anniversary of Sword and Shield this month, so we can assume with some degree of certainty that Gen 8 will have something coming in the future.

All we can do is wait.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Considering next year is the 25th anniversary, a "Let's Go Johto" kind of works since GSC included a trip to Kanto and a battle against Red. DP could also work since it was popular and sold well.

Ideally, I'd love a Let's Go-esque game that lets you travel through the regions of "PokéJapan" (Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh) while adding the missing "PokéShikoku" via a new area to explore.

That's all wishful thinking though

BCVM22

"A rumor that the next game will either be Sinnoh remakes or Let's Go Johto" is perhaps the most verbose way of saying absolutely nothing worthwhile.

Save for 2015, we've gotten a game every October/November since 2013. One could argue we didn't get a full game this year, but I tend to believe that if we had gotten "Super Sword/Shield" or whatever, that game minus Sword/Shield would have roughly equalled what we got in the Expansion Pack, so I count Isle/Tundra as a "new game" for the purposes of the discussion. And even if someone doesn't agree with that, we did still get new core title material this fall, as opposed to 2015 where we got nothing. Considering all of that, it's not really a reach to say we'll get a new game in fall of 2021. Beyond that, there wouldn't seem to be a ton of value in revisiting Galar again so soon, so the two most likely candidates would be Sinnoh remakes (as Sinnoh is next in line) or a Let's Go Johto game, as LGP/E sold well enough and were reviewed and received well enough to seem to warrant further consideration.

So for a rumor to say that "the next game will either be Sinnoh remakes or Let's Go Johto" is not particularly juicy or predictive. It's taking a logical conclusion and starting a "rumor" that the reality will be a coin flip between two very likely scenarios. If the rumor pusher turns out to be right, they get to say "look, I was right, follow me for more *exclusive* information" solely because they picked heads vs. tails correctly. And if they turn out to be wrong, well, no one ever seems to suffer any consequences (whatever you believe those consequences should be) for pushing false information. They're usually permitted to say "well, plans shift, I trust my sources, keep following me" and keep raking in the retweets and the YouTube views, never mind the fact that plans don't typically "shift" as close as a year ahead of time.

The conclusion? Any "rumors" involving Sinnoh vs. LG Johto, or one over the other, can be safely discarded. As all rumor mongers can, but these especially, because this is where you'll likely see most rumors crystalize as we inch towards late winter/early spring of next year, when we'd be apt to see an official announcement, and the "best" rumors are the most believable ones. Treat these people as you do the supermarket tabloids: gawk at them briefly and then remind yourself that these are not individuals to be taken seriously, and their goal is solely to get engagement. Then move on and pay for your groceries because you're holding up the line.

Last edited:

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I still think Sinnoh remakes are coming soon. There’s way too many hints that indicate that it will happen. Besides Chingling and the Fossils being MIA in the DLC, Spiritomb has a required amount of people you need to talk to while online which is nearly identical to the number necessary to catch it in DP. This is particularly odd as BW2, Kalos, And Alola could have easily used their communication abilities to cause Spiritomb to appear in those games with Joun Avenue and the Friend Plaza being the easiest to make it happen.

KillerDraco

The Enforcer
Staff member
Super Mod
Why does every anniversary need some big game too? The 15th anniversary surely didn't have that.
Because sales.

Hype up a game on an anniversary of what is arguably the biggest video game brand name on the planet, and it's guaranteed to sell a few million copies.