• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Isle of Armor & The Crown Tundra DLC - RUMOR & SPECULATION Thread [Spoilers]

DSDark

Breeder
A new rumor, another calling Grookey Grass/Normal and 75 new Pokémon.
And this is not a rumor, but it says games could leak soon since downloadable copies are coming out soon.
I couldn’t find a place for the second one since I knew it wouldn’t be good in General.
Preloading the games do not cause leaks. It is impossible to crake a preload mostly because there isn’t fully on the system until release day. The game will need a physical copy to actually leak

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
And to be fair it being useless against Ghost is no different any other immunity.
I doesn't seem fair to judge the typing combo because it's an added Normal type, it's still the most neutral type in the game and is resisted by few (Three types, one being immune which it is also immune towards. A trade off, if you ask me. Just use grass moves), so all one has to worry about is the ghost stuff and the added fighting type weakness. It fits Grookey as sound moves are mostly normal type too.

I can't see Grookey being useful against the likes of the Litwick and Ghastly lines anyways, unless they learn some rock move for the former or something. And even then, that's not a problem. So what right? Unless you're literally wanting to keep that thing in when those are out (Which would be stupid to anyways, people even in competitive (I hate using competitive arguments SM but that seems to be the main argument here when people complain about typings as if casual play where one usually doesn't give a damn doesn't matter/exist so I have no choice) switch out if they feel they're gonna get wrecked.), it's not even a problem to begin with.

That's what I was thinking too. Unless that's you have no other Pokémon left or you've been prevented from switching, I don't see why you wouldn't switch. Even the AI will occasionally switch Pokémon.

I mean, there are lots of Pokémon out there, even the common competitive ones, that have a bad matchup against guys like Scizor or Mimikyu. But that's okay because there are some other Pokémon that have a good matchup against them. That's the idea behind building a team, after all.

I mean, it IS possible there will be a Battle Frontier thing in the postgame with a counterpart to the Battle Hall in which you can only bring in one Pokémon. Even then, though, most Pokémon wouldn't be able to survive in such a facility for very long because most Pokémon aren't equipped to deal with everything.

For that, I'd be asking for better AI as opposed to easier.. IVs, EVs, actual sets on the Pokemon, team synergy and using Dynamax.
The battle facilities have to resort to cheating because the pre-programmed teams have hardly any thought or reason to them, so of course they're not going to be able to compete against an actual player without cheating. Just need a bit more effort put into the feature.

In the video the change stated in the rumour was that it would simply take less wins to reach the boss stage, I believe, which doesn't fix anything for those wanting to go for streaks.

I've been feeling it...I have been playing Battle Agency in Ultra Moon as a way to keep myself sharp, and I'd see stuff like Rock Slide, Thunder Wave, and Swagger prevent my Pokémon from making any moves.

That being said, I don't think it's so much that the pre-programmed teams are bad as much as the AI itself is not that great. To play well in Pokémon battling, you have to think multiple steps ahead, switch when needed, and think with all of your Pokémon available to you at the time. The AI doesn't do any of this, at least not in any competent capacity. It knows what Pokémon you have, can calculate which move would be the best one to use, and basic setup like stat buffs or Trick Room, but aside from that, it plays via sheer trial and error. The AI will keep track of when it achieves success, and it will try to determine what gave it that success to repeat it in the future. For instance, if a Pokémon you open with gets knocked out by a Grass-type, you can expect to see more Grass-types in the next several battles, even if it doesn't make sense (such as if your Fire Pokémon has been severely worn down and a Grass Pokémon happens to be the one that finishes it off).

For an example of the AI being lackluster, there was that Battle Subway mode in which you could play against teams submitted by other people. One time, the game happened to pick my own team as I was using it, making it a mirror match. I knocked out all three of the AI's Pokémon while it only knocked out one of mine. This is not one of those momentum-based teams either. I just outplayed it at every turn, since I knew what moves my Pokémon had.

While those games had some AI cheating too, the ones made by Genius Sonority have a lot less of it, and instead they have Pokémon with a lot better stats, moves, and abilities. That's something I'd like to see more of in the future. Not sure if they can bring in Genius Sonority though, since they haven't made a traditional Pokémon battling game since Pokémon Battle Revolution.

DSDark

Breeder
I love to see this trailer just be a Galar Pokedex update and drop a bunch of pokemon. Starter evolutions, impidimp, Corviknight's first form (we don't really need the second), and maybe 3 more new pokemon

ScratchnSn1ff

I'll be really surprised if the only news we get on the 30th anniversary from the trailer is Impidimp, feel like they could have just put that out with Ponyta, i'd be happy if it was included in the trailer but there has to be more even if it isn't the starter evos

Sponge

I think I'd rather if this news update is about new Pokemon/Galarian forms than evolutions to the starters.

Mainly because it's likely to be their middle stage and that's not really indicative of what their final evolutions will be like. (I mean Dewott doesn't really give you any idea it's going to become Samurott) At least personally, I intend to look at the final evolutions when they're datamined/leaked....so seeing the middle starter evolutions at this point feels unecessary.

In particular I'm hoping some types we haven't seen yet on new Pokemon appear and also some more non-Kanto Galarian forms.

As for Impidimp, they've gone this long without revealing it....they might as well just not reveal it until after release now.

Edit: Though there's supposed to be a Game Freak livestream as well right? Maybe they'll reveal new Pokemon/Galarian forms in the trailer and then the starter evolutions during the livestream.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
I think I'd rather if this news update is about new Pokemon/Galarian forms than evolutions to the starters.

Mainly because it's likely to be their middle stage and that's not really indicative of what their final evolutions will be like. (I mean Dewott doesn't really give you any idea it's going to become Samurott) At least personally, I intend to look at the final evolutions when they're datamined/leaked....so seeing the middle starter evolutions at this point feels unecessary.

In particular I'm hoping some types we haven't seen yet on new Pokemon appear and also some more non-Kanto Galarian forms.

As for Impidimp, they've gone this long without revealing it....they might as well just not reveal it until after release now.

Edit: Though there's supposed to be a Game Freak livestream as well right? Maybe they'll reveal new Pokemon/Galarian forms in the trailer and then the starter evolutions during the livestream.

I disagree.

Yes, Torracat and Dewott had absolutely no relation with their final forms, but that doesn't mean you cannot derive what the other starts may evolve into. We know Delphox was coming soon after Braixen and its wand were revealed, same as Brionne's extreme feministic traits calling Primarina.

Ivysaur, Croconaw, Bayleef, Marshtomp, Grotle, Monferno, Prinplup, Pignite, Briaxen and Brionne, in fact, didn't surprise many people either appearance or character-wise.

We won't know how their final evolutions will end up as until November presumably, but middle ones usually hint something.

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
I remember Pignite showing us that there was a wrestler theme for its line which a lot of people couldn’t see in Tepig originally until seeing its evolution

Bus

Reminder: Each of the 'Research Updates' so far have shown off very little. Try not to get your hopes up with a reveal of like 5 different pokemon or something. At this point, with it being about an even month before release and still no starters, I'm starting to think they're trying to keep them completely under wraps. I feel like this update might just be finishing up on the Forest live feed. Either giving us more info on Impidimp or possibly revealing Galarian Ponyta's evolution.

I definitely want a big trailer showing a lot, but I think we should curb our expectations. Worst-case scenario; I'm right and shows off something that matters very little (like more showing of G-Ponyta and only hinting at Rapidash or something). Best-case scenario is a 50 fact extravaganza; something we've been hoping for since it first happened with Gen 5 (I think) and never happened again lol.

SpiritSkye

#ShieldGang
I agree we shouldn’t overhype ourselves, but they are doing a trailer right before their 30th anniversary livestream, which it seems likely will also cover Pokémon in it, so it would be odd to announce this news update ahead of time and for just before their livestream, to only reveal Impidimp. That’s just my thoughts, anyway.

I don’t know what we’ll get, so I’m not going to expect anything, but it also doesn’t seem logical imo to reveal only Impidimp for a trailer leading into such a big event.

In any case, there was the survey where they asked if the Secret Club wanted to see the Starter evos, which seemed to lean heavily to “yes,” so I think they might show the mid stages before launch. I don’t believe they’ll show the final, though. Again, that’s just what I think.

ShadowForce720

I agree we shouldn’t overhype ourselves, but they are doing a trailer right before their 30th anniversary livestream, which it seems likely will also cover Pokémon in it, so it would be odd to announce this news update ahead of time and for just before their livestream, to only reveal Impidimp. That’s just my thoughts, anyway.

I don’t know what we’ll get, so I’m not going to expect anything, but it also doesn’t seem logical imo to reveal only Impidimp for a trailer leading into such a big event.

In any case, there was the survey where they asked if the Secret Club wanted to see the Starter evos, which seemed to lean heavily to “yes,” so I think they might show the mid stages before launch. I don’t believe they’ll show the final, though. Again, that’s just what I think.

Well probably finally get the typings of Zacian and Zamazenta here because Pokeshopper did say that there was going to be Zacian and Zamazenta merch either revealed or comes out towards the end of October which will have the typings on it, so in order for the merch not to spoil the typings they would need to reveal the typings soon, which they probably will tomorrow.

DSDark

Breeder

I don't think they'll show the final evolutions this time around. I still fully believe that the final forms were only shown last time because of the leaks.

This trailer should show us the second stages though, which will be so exciting. Again though I wouldn't mind if we didn't get the second stage before release either. Bring things back to the days of DP.

EmeraldArcanine

#TeamScorbunny
I wonder if the lack of information is punishment for all the leaks and hacking done during Sun and Moon and yanno also to increase sales from curiosity
I wouldn't say it's punishment per say. But if it's to prevent datamines and leaks and stuff then it's more likely, plus like others said people complained about too much being revealed, and it was shown somewhere in a chart that they've been limited in info before until the last like, two gens, especially in terms of starters.

It's just that we've been too spoiled since 6th gen, and now that they've gone back to really limiting information it's became a problem BECAUSE we're used to having so much revealed, especially this close to release.

Inoshi

Pokemon Lover
So... whatever happened to the follow up Report Sonia promised after the 24 hours stream? Did they actually do something with that?

Ophie

Salingerian Phony

That's the thing. This is a Game Freak stream, not specifically a Pokémon one. You can't treat this as a Pokémon Direct. Will Pokémon take up a majority of it? I think it would. But since this is an anniversary thing, they're going to do a celebration of their history too. Little Town Hero will likely take up the second most time on there, and we're going to likely see mention of games like Drill Dozer, Giga Wrecker, Tembo, HarmoKnight, and their pre-Pokémon games too. (Some might create problems though, as some of these IPs are tied to other companies as well, especially when Game Freak was just starting out and they needed support from bigger companies to fund and distribute them in exchange for partial or full rights ownership. SEGA's partial ownership of Tembo shouldn't be so bad, but one of those companies is Sony.)

Ivysaur, Croconaw, Bayleef, Marshtomp, Grotle, Monferno, Prinplup, Pignite, Briaxen and Brionne, in fact, didn't surprise many people either appearance or character-wise.

The general trend for middle forms for starts has been from "older-looking, but still young version of the basic form" to "beginner or amateur practitioner of what they'll embody in their final form." All three of the Kanto ones are the former category, for instance. All three of the Kalos ones are the latter. (The Alola ones are a mix though.)

Reminder: Each of the 'Research Updates' so far have shown off very little. Try not to get your hopes up with a reveal of like 5 different pokemon or something. At this point, with it being about an even month before release and still no starters, I'm starting to think they're trying to keep them completely under wraps. I feel like this update might just be finishing up on the Forest live feed. Either giving us more info on Impidimp or possibly revealing Galarian Ponyta's evolution.

I definitely want a big trailer showing a lot, but I think we should curb our expectations. Worst-case scenario; I'm right and shows off something that matters very little (like more showing of G-Ponyta and only hinting at Rapidash or something). Best-case scenario is a 50 fact extravaganza; something we've been hoping for since it first happened with Gen 5 (I think) and never happened again lol.

I can see the rioting on the streets now if their Pokémon content consists mostly of things we've already seen and known and of past Pokémon games.

I wonder if the lack of information is punishment for all the leaks and hacking done during Sun and Moon and yanno also to increase sales from curiosity

No, I think it's to address complaints about revealing too much. Game Freak is not the only company to get this backlash, and they are also not the only company to respond by drastically rolling back pre-release information.