• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Isle of Armor & The Crown Tundra DLC - RUMOR & SPECULATION Thread [Spoilers]

Marzbar

I really don’t care that much, we can stop arguing about the levitating “float whale” Pokémon which is apparently not part Flying type??

My point was the trailer looked dumb and very amateur. Why didn’t it even show a Gen 8 Pokémon if they are trying to promote buying the Gen 8 game? It didn’t really give anyone an incentive to buy it

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I really don’t care that much, we can stop arguing about the levitating “float whale” Pokémon which is apparently not part Flying type??

My point was the trailer looked dumb and very amateur. Why didn’t it even show a Gen 8 Pokémon if they are trying to promote buying the Gen 8 game? It didn’t really give anyone an incentive to buy it
Their marketing strategies have been very weird this gen.

DSDark

Breeder

In your opinion. Pokémon knows their marketing well. Showing game from every generation is the perfect marketing

Orphalesion

In your opinion. Pokémon knows their marketing well. Showing game from every generation is the perfect marketing

But they didn't show "from every generation". They only showed Pokemon from the first 7 generations.

I won't complain about stuff like floating Wailmers, but this commercial very much seems of the opinion that they don't need to show what new things or improvements there are, people will buy anyway because it's Pokemon. Which, yes is true, but still kinda leaves the wrong taste in my mouth.

DannyDark

It's a bad advertisement to existing fans, in that it shows absolutely nothing we don't already know.

Whereas someone who's never seen the game series, or has maybe only played a couple, might be be wowed by the graphics and variety of new Pokemon.

It's very, very much like the Sun and Moon teaser trailer, so for those that remember that especially it might come across underwhelming and all-too-familiar as it did with me personally.

DSDark

Breeder
But they didn't show "from every generation". They only showed Pokemon from the first 7 generations.

I won't complain about stuff like floating Wailmers, but this commercial very much seems of the opinion that they don't need to show what new things or improvements there are, people will buy anyway because it's Pokemon. Which, yes is true, but still kinda leaves the wrong taste in my mouth.

it’s not a commercial meant for Pokémon fans. It’s general commercial for the regular person

Orphalesion

it’s not a commercial meant for Pokémon fans. It’s general commercial for the regular person

Still a commercial usually shows us what a new product has to offer. If it wasn't a "commercial for Pokemon fans, but for the regular person" then it should do even more so.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
The amount of praise I’ve seen this commercial get tells me it did its job very well, mostly because of good ol’ nostalgia.

And either way, this definitely won’t be the only commercial we’re getting.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master

Yes, it does. It gives the general audience an incentive to buy it.

That ad was clearly not for you, or any of us here. It was meant for those who are not necessarily fans of the series, but are familiar with it. I still feel the ad could've been better, but that much I do get.

sketchersmeargle

Made me excited.

But I mean, aren't we asking a bit too much out of a commercial break ad? It's just for getting it out there.

As for not promoting new Pokemon, to most people all of, if not all of these are new or new-ish Pokemon to them.

For fans it shows a large handful of who is returning for these games, which for those who saw their favorites, also get excited.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
As far as the Lusamine and her family/other characters being Ultra Beasts goes though I think aside from the comparison of Nihilego and Pheramosa that things like Gladion being Buzzwole were a huge stretch. I agree that Lillie's dress was just a reflection of Lusamine's obsession since the game states Lusamine is the one who dressed her children until they left her and decided for themselves what to wear. Heck maybe the way Lusamine dresses is a reflection of that obsession too. I don't think of it being a "missed twist opportunity" at all and it wouldn't have really enhanced the story's themes of abuse and family in any way.

Most people didn't think that the characters actually were Ultra Beasts, although there were a number of theories flying around. Gladion/Buzzwole might have been a bit of a stretch, but there's also Guzma/Xurkitree (and really, Gladion/Buzzwole wasn't the biggest stretch we've ever seen. They're both red and black and edgy as ****). Either way my point wasn't that I'm disappointed they weren't Ultra Beasts, my point is that there was a very clear attempt to make the UBs resemble certain characters, the purpose of which was never explained. I almost wonder if they weren't initially going to take a completely different route with them at first, and simply retconned the assets when they decided on the storyline they eventually gave us.

I think you could potentially be onto an explanation for Nihilego/Lillie and Pheromosa/Lusamine, but Guzma/Xurkitree doesn't really fit into that puzzle, unless Guzma is secretly Lusamine's albino kid or something.

.Aerodactyl.

I think they probably intended something more with UBs in the beginning but dropped them early on in the story and the designs remained the same. My guess is maybe some kind of fusion, but they probably decided that was a bit "too far" for the franchise and settled on the Lusamine boss battle we got instead. I think they added hints of Lusamine dressing up Lillie as a UB because of her obsession as a sort of write-off of their original idea, and it did help build the characters too so worked well.

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
Most people didn't think that the characters actually were Ultra Beasts, although there were a number of theories flying around. Gladion/Buzzwole might have been a bit of a stretch, but there's also Guzma/Xurkitree (and really, Gladion/Buzzwole wasn't the biggest stretch we've ever seen. They're both red and black and edgy as ****). Either way my point wasn't that I'm disappointed they weren't Ultra Beasts, my point is that there was a very clear attempt to make the UBs resemble certain characters, the purpose of which was never explained. I almost wonder if they weren't initially going to take a completely different route with them at first, and simply retconned the assets when they decided on the storyline they eventually gave us.

I think you could potentially be onto an explanation for Nihilego/Lillie and Pheromosa/Lusamine, but Guzma/Xurkitree doesn't really fit into that puzzle, unless Guzma is secretly Lusamine's albino kid or something.
I think there were some stretches after datamine like Celesteela = Samson Oak and Guzzlord = Hala with an assumption both are secretly evil.

But sith Nihilego I remember people went as deep as saying it's description matches Lillie.

As per Pheromosa both it and Tsareena look totally like Lusamine's Pokemon.
I'm still shocked Lusamine had Lilligant instead of Tsareena.

Lucky3

The point of an ad is always to get people to think about your product. This one is probably just to remind people out of the loop that a new Pokemon game is coming while they watch something else on TV. If they're interested, they'll check out the trailers that actually show off the game.

Think of it like a highway ad for coke or something. It doesn't need to explain the product, just seeing it makes many people feel like having one. This trailer is designed to make people feel like playing some Pokemon.

Ultra Beast Lover

XD I remember the early SuMo days, I remember coming up with absurd ideas on how the plot could work like maybe Lillie was given a blood transfusion from Nihilego. And we weren't completely wrong, she did have a ub in the bag, though it wasn't Nihilego.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I wonder how many people will tell them that this is a commercial before realizing it’s been stated to death. I think they got the hint lol

This disproves some “leaks” that stated regional forms for Pokèmon like Pawniard.
(and really, Gladion/Buzzwole wasn't the biggest stretch we've ever seen. They're both red and black and edgy as ****)
Buzzwole is the opposite of edgy. It’s a goofball who’s constantly showing off its physique and strength. Most of its animations are it flexing.