• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Isle of Armor & The Crown Tundra DLC - RUMOR & SPECULATION Thread [Spoilers]

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I think DP should happen so that we can have an Underground that uses WiFi and new models for the games so that weather can be similar to that of the Wild Area and we can get a feel at how huge Jubilife City and the Great Marsh truly are. ORAS did an amazing job at making what seemed to be tiny towns feel bigger and more exciting to visit with Pacifilog Town feeling less flat.
But then you remember what happened to the Battle Frontier, the lack of customization from XY, the lack of rebattling gym leaders, or how they now feel easier to beat, & then you realize that ORAS were the second-worst remakes to date -_-

Last edited:

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
But then you remember what happened to the Battle Frontier, the lack of customization from XY, the lack of rebattling gym leaders, or how they now feel easier to beat, & then you realize that ORAS were the second-worst remakes to date -_-
I actually like ORAS. Anything not there aside, I still enjoy them. Do I wish what you mentioned was there? Sure. But it doesn't ruin the games for me.

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
ORAS was basically the saving face of Gen 6, otherwise it'd be the absolute worst Gen to ever exist cause of how AWFUL XY were.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I actually like ORAS. Anything not there aside, I still enjoy them. Do I wish what you mentioned was there? Sure. But it doesn't ruin the games for me.
Yeah, I did have fun with them & (despite calling them the second-worst remakes) I still don't think they're bad games, but after playing HGSS (which to me were pure perfection), I was kind of hoping they'd go above and beyond with the content like they did with the Johto remakes, especially since we didn't get a Pokémon Z to wrap up Kalos.

With new regions I set them on their own merit & try to enjoy them for what they are, but for remakes I use HGSS as the gold standard

Last edited:

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Yeah, I did have fun with them & (despite calling them the second-worst remakes) I still don't think they're bad games, but after playing HGSS (which to me were pure perfection), I was kind of hoping they'd go above and beyond with the content like they did with the Johto remakes, especially since we didn't get a Pokémon Z to wrap up Kalos
Fair point. HGSS were and are special and set a high bar for remakes.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
ORAS was pretty good although I wish they had done a better job with Brendan's and May's redesigns. They feel a downgrade from RS (Brendan) and Emerald (May)

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
They only feel easier because you simply got better at Pokemon over the years. Really, only two Pokemon games come close to being called challenging, them being Hard Mode BW2 and USUM (to me at least. The latter does have some surprisingly hard Totems if you're not careful like Togedemaru)

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Remakes generally are the better version of the games they represent for the most part but honestly the Let’s Go games were much weaker as remakes and they aren’t necessarily terrible games but they are way too easy to beat especially with the second player co-op which you can easily over power Gym Leaders to the point it’s unfair to them and borderline cheating when you have two Pokémon while the Leader only uses one. And the catching method while novel and creative for making it feel like the anime, is ultimately frustrating as you aren’t guaranteed to catch the target the first time and if you waste too much time, the Pokémon escapes. Weakening it is a far better way of catching a Pokémon as it is less luck based. I mean I shouldn’t have to waste 15 Ultra Balls just to catch something like a Mankey.

To be fair, the Let's Go games were aimed at people who began with Pokémon GO. The co-op feature is to allow someone more experienced at Pokémon to step in and be the proverbial training wheels if they ever have trouble, and they needed some transition between GO and the main series, as the gameplay and focus are so different from each other. And people who began with GO did tend to get hung up on things you or I might find obvious, like type immunities or the basics of turn-based battling. It was deliberately made "easy" because that is a relative term.

ORAS was basically the saving face of Gen 6, otherwise it'd be the absolute worst Gen to ever exist cause of how AWFUL XY were.

I found Kalos to be the most fun region to just wander around in. I felt they NAILED the atmosphere and size of the region, as well as still having the best clothing customization of any Pokémon game. The kids your character hung with felt insufferable to me, and Team Flare is one of the worst villainous teams, but once I was free to do whatever I wanted and wherever I wanted, there was a feeling of breezing through the Kalos landscape that no other region has been able to come close to.

As much as I liked the Alola games, I was bugged by how short the routes tended to be and how your clothing was pretty much limited to adventure or tourist gear. Generation VI was the last generation where the routes were taken seriously.

I would say Galar is the worst-handled region to date, though Isle of Armor and Crown Tundra show that they have been trying very hard to improve that through additional areas. Though they say they won't be doing a third version, I feel like Galar needs it.

They only feel easier because you simply got better at Pokemon over the years. Really, only two Pokemon games come close to being called challenging, them being Hard Mode BW2 and USUM (to me at least. The latter does have some surprisingly hard Totems if you're not careful like Togedemaru)

The Generation I games had Pokémon that suddenly scaled up in level with no warning, forcing you to grind. The biggest offender was visiting the Elite Four, where not only were you unable to visit a Pokémon Center between them, but they were also 7 to 10 levels higher than anyone before them. The drastic level drop in Generation II leads me to believe Game Freak's people realized it was a problem.

Aside from that, though, I believe you're right. I remember running into trouble with Flannery in the original Hoenn games because I expected to plow through Gym Leaders with type advantages like I did the previous two generations. Then her Pokémon used moves like Sunny Day, Light Screen, and Solar Beam to give my Water Pokémon trouble. From there on out, all of the major adversaries would have various ways to fight the types most likely to be used against them. But I got more savvy at battling, and it felt easier as a result. For someone who doesn't know their weaknesses and resistances? They're going to have a tough time with any of them.

IrieFuse

Unify To Thrive
I found Kalos to be the most fun region to just wander around in. I felt they NAILED the atmosphere and size of the region, as well as still having the best clothing customization of any Pokémon game. The kids your character hung with felt insufferable to me, and Team Flare is one of the worst villainous teams, but once I was free to do whatever I wanted and wherever I wanted, there was a feeling of breezing through the Kalos landscape that no other region has been able to come close to.

As much as I liked the Alola games, I was bugged by how short the routes tended to be and how your clothing was pretty much limited to adventure or tourist gear. Generation VI was the last generation where the routes were taken seriously.

I would say Galar is the worst-handled region to date, though Isle of Armor and Crown Tundra show that they have been trying very hard to improve that through additional areas. Though they say they won't be doing a third version, I feel like Galar needs it.

I agree with almost everything you’re saying! I’m not sure if it’s because XY introduced customization that made it feel lacklustre in SM but it honestly was a letdown in gen 7. And XY although far from the best main series games, hold some of the best memories from any Pokémon games for me simply because of the atmosphere. XY was BOLD, they felt very much like Pokémon and somehow very much a new feel.

Galar was extremely disappointing. Isle of armor and crown tundra definitely do it some justice but without the two expansions, galar felt extremely flat and stale and It’s a shame because it almost felt like they were trying to push the “scale” card. Literally every time you’re walking up the stairs from the wild area into hammerlocke you get a wide view of the castle-like aesthetic of the city. but there’s no feeling behind it. The wild area in general is Galar’s weakest link in my opinion. The concept is great, the execution was poor. The poor graphics really take me out of it. The weather changing drastically as you bike around the area, it just feels beyond artificial. I think the wild area would’ve been much more enjoyable if the layout had more variety, and more route-like feel. The different sections could’ve been separated with trees, big hedges, cliffs. Think route 10 from BW. bridges, caves, all within the space that we now call the wild area. as for the weather I would prefer biomes where certain sections have a ”default weather” and maybe once a week it changes to something different, or maybe every day of the week, a different section has a “non-default” weather.

I wouldn’t mind third version for galar but I would much rather have sequels. With a lot of improvements all around. Ballonoea also is ridiculous. Such a beautiful place but it’s literally smaller than pacifidlog town from hoenn and is separated from another gym city with a boring forest with colorful mushrooms

D

Deleted member 384931

I agree with almost everything you’re saying! I’m not sure if it’s because XY introduced customization that made it feel lacklustre in SM but it honestly was a letdown in gen 7. And XY although far from the best main series games, hold some of the best memories from any Pokémon games for me simply because of the atmosphere. XY was BOLD, they felt very much like Pokémon and somehow very much a new feel.

Galar was extremely disappointing. Isle of armor and crown tundra definitely do it some justice but without the two expansions, galar felt extremely flat and stale and It’s a shame because it almost felt like they were trying to push the “scale” card. Literally every time you’re walking up the stairs from the wild area into hammerlocke you get a wide view of the castle-like aesthetic of the city. but there’s no feeling behind it. The wild area in general is Galar’s weakest link in my opinion. The concept is great, the execution was poor. The poor graphics really take me out of it. The weather changing drastically as you bike around the area, it just feels beyond artificial. I think the wild area would’ve been much more enjoyable if the layout had more variety, and more route-like feel. The different sections could’ve been separated with trees, big hedges, cliffs. Think route 10 from BW. bridges, caves, all within the space that we now call the wild area. as for the weather I would prefer biomes where certain sections have a ”default weather” and maybe once a week it changes to something different, or maybe every day of the week, a different section has a “non-default” weather.

I wouldn’t mind third version for galar but I would much rather have sequels. With a lot of improvements all around. Ballonoea also is ridiculous. Such a beautiful place but it’s literally smaller than pacifidlog town from hoenn and is separated from another gym city with a boring forest with colorful mushrooms
Brr and the horrible trees who go invisible. Galar isnt my favorite region. Just hope they learn from it for the next games. Yes, the battles were more difficult, but the rest suffered from it. If ppl want to play competitive, they will do that in online battles. And this game wasnt long. Heck, if I compare it to HGSS (only the Jotho section) were I can play it for days and SWSH were I am done in 5 hours it is kinda sad. And I arent stopped every 5 mintues by someone unlike in SWSH.

IrieFuse

Unify To Thrive
Brr and the horrible trees who go invisible. Galar isnt my favorite region. Just hope they learn from it for the next games. Yes, the battles were more difficult, but the rest suffered from it. If ppl want to play competitive, they will do that in online battles. And this game wasnt long. Heck, if I compare it to HGSS (only the Jotho section) were I can play it for days and SWSH were I am done in 5 hours it is kinda sad. And I arent stopped every 5 mintues by someone unlike in SWSH.

Yes the handholding was awful in SwSh. There was no sense of real mystery to the story, it was all very linear and everywhere you went there just happened to be something happening in the same location that pushed the story forward little by little. I know that’s typical in Pokémon games but it was pretty bad in these games despite the story itself not being terrible. If we had spent more time with the characters and not in such a forced fashion, I think SwSh might’ve been some of the best games to date.

did BW and BW2 get bad ratings in Japan? I feel like in the US they got some of the highest ratings for any Pokémon main series games ever and overall I think a lot of us agree that Pokémon has peaked overall with BW2 in terms of storytelling, difficulty, variety, etc. And somehow everything since has been a steady decline into more of overly linear easy games with lackluster storytelling

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Yes the handholding was awful in SwSh. There was no sense of real mystery to the story, it was all very linear and everywhere you went there just happened to be something happening in the same location that pushed the story forward little by little. I know that’s typical in Pokémon games but it was pretty bad in these games despite the story itself not being terrible. If we had spent more time with the characters and not in such a forced fashion, I think SwSh might’ve been some of the best games to date.

did BW and BW2 get bad ratings in Japan? I feel like in the US they got some of the highest ratings for any Pokémon main series games ever and overall I think a lot of us agree that Pokémon has peaked overall with BW2 in terms of storytelling, difficulty, variety, etc. And somehow everything since has been a steady decline into more of overly linear easy games with lackluster storytelling
BW and BW2 were also linear. Hell, BW still has the most linear region design since you only backtrack twice, that being very late in the game.

Kansas_Rocks!

Awesomeness Trainer

Honestly I remember a lot of hate for BW in the west as well. There was the issue of having no pre gen 5 pokemon available for the initial run-through, a lackluster, arguably the series' worst, set of starters, and hate toward new pokemon designs like the ice cream cones, the gears, and the trash bags. I also remember hate toward the models being called fully animated when they looked so janky. The games were also heavily linear. The only thing that I remember people really liking was the story.

Last edited:

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I actually loved BW from the beginning and thought many of the more disliked Pokémon from Unova were creative and interesting in design. I remember really liking Trubbish, Garbodor, And Vanilluxe from the very first time I ever saw them on the main site’s BW section for the new Pokémon. The only Pokémon I really didn’t like the design that much was Tynamo because it seemed too simple and rather forgettable when compared to its evolved forms.

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
Honestly I remember a lot of hate for BW in the west as well. There was the issue of having no pre gen 5 pokemon available for the initial run-through, a lackluster, arguably the series' worst, set of starters, and hate toward new pokemon designs like the ice cream cones, the gears, and the trash bags. I also remember hate toward the models being called fully animated when they looked so janky. The games were also heavily linear. The only thing that I remember people really liking was the story.
I assume the hate greatly died down since then and Gen 5 has gotten way more appreciation than it has nowadays. Tho that may be due to how the main series games have basically declined since XY's disastrous debut where they were basically heavy disappointments in Pokemon's first 3D debut. And SwSh's debuts years later didn't really help the case.