• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Isle of Armor & The Crown Tundra DLC - RUMOR & SPECULATION Thread [Spoilers]

Orphalesion

I really liked Unova. I loved that we got so many new Pokemon and I loved many of their designs.

I also think of the games so far, Sun and Moon had the best story and characters, but the region was a bit to small (though I'm still not sure whether it just felt that way because they portioned it off into islands. Portioning stuff off like that into small parcels can make it feel small overall).
Kalos did have the better region, but the story and characters were trash.

Galar's story started good with a lot of potential and then turned into a half-dead dumpster fire once you reach Ballonlea. And while I hate third versions I think Galar would have been the region that might have profited from one (the DLCs did nothing to change the awful main story after all)

Let's see what the next one looks like in a few years :p

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Yea I noticed it story wise. I wonder if crunch played a part in that as well. It's too bad, since it had some promise. To be honest, I'm worried that crunch will affect future games in the series.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Honestly I remember a lot of hate for BW in the west as well. There was the issue of having no pre gen 5 pokemon available for the initial run-through, a lackluster, arguably the series' worst, set of starters, and hate toward new pokemon designs like the ice cream cones, the gears, and the trash bags. I also remember hate toward the models being called fully animated when they looked so janky. The games were also heavily linear. The only thing that I remember people really liking was the story.
The Vanillite line aren't ice cream cones

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
And while I hate third versions I think Galar would have been the region that might have profited from one (the DLCs did nothing to change the awful main story after all)

I disagree. XY definitely needed a third version as there were too many things in the games that were either unexplained or hinted but then left unresolved. We don’t know where the train tracks in Couriway Town go, why the Terminus Cave Mines were abandoned and if it was Zygarde that frightened them away or something else, or even Zygarde’s relationship with the mortality duo as it clearly has a connection to them with its Aura Break Ability which is only activated when facing one of them. And it seems like Luminose City’s sewers were going to be accessible like Castila City where we would find Pokémon living underneath the city.

Kansas_Rocks!

Awesomeness Trainer
The Vanillite line aren't ice cream cones

I would tend to agree that they are snowcones, but their names making reference to vanilla, at least to me, makes the ice cream cone comparison much more likely, especially since Vanillite's cone has waffling on it and it has the stereotypical ice cream cone top swirl that would be nearly impossible to get on a snowcone.

Orphalesion

They look like Ice Cream Cones that's all that matters. Whether they are "akshuallay" something else or not won't change anybody's opinion on them.

We don’t know where the train tracks in Couriway Town go

Poke-Germany, as will be revealed in Gen 12.

But you are right, I forgot that Zygarde was so ignored in its own generation that they had to shove it into SuMo.

IrieFuse

Unify To Thrive
To all above who responded saying that BW got hate and was also very linear, yes I’m sorry I wasn’t very clear. I guess I’m referring more to the amount of handholding in SwSh. There‘s not nearly as much of that in anything before XY.

But yes I do remember clearly that a LOT of the designs got hate. Especially the inanimate object Pokémon like Vanillite line, Klink line, and Trubbish line. But I will argue that I don’t think the only thing people liked about BW was the story. I think the region was very well received. The bridges, the routes, the cities, the music, the characters, continuity, etc. There was a lot to love in those games and I do think they’ve received much more appreciation lately than they did when they were the new games. which is why it makes me wonder if SwSh type of games receive more positive reaction in Japan because I’ve heard that ultimately the Japanese reception is what determines wether gamefreak thinks something is well received or not. Although idk how true that is

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
I really liked Unova. I loved that we got so many new Pokemon and I loved many of their designs.

I also think of the games so far, Sun and Moon had the best story and characters, but the region was a bit to small (though I'm still not sure whether it just felt that way because they portioned it off into islands. Portioning stuff off like that into small parcels can make it feel small overall).
Kalos did have the better region, but the story and characters were trash.

Galar's story started good with a lot of potential and then turned into a half-dead dumpster fire once you reach Ballonlea. And while I hate third versions I think Galar would have been the region that might have profited from one (the DLCs did nothing to change the awful main story after all)

Xy plot is my fav

IrieFuse

Unify To Thrive
Xy plot is my fav

yes looking back I don’t think there’s ever been a “bad“ story in any main series games except gen 1 which really had a bare bones story that was taking down team rocket and beating the league/gary

I remember thinking team flare was super wack but at the end of the game I realized that they had some really memorable plot points like the power plant in the badlands, and the pokeball factory. I loved it. Those games just reeked of ambiance. I can only imagine XY on the switch

KillerDraco

which is why it makes me wonder if SwSh type of games receive more positive reaction in Japan because I’ve heard that ultimately the Japanese reception is what determines wether gamefreak thinks something is well received or not. Although idk how true that is

Reception is hard to gauge, they don't really poll players or anything of the like to determine how much they liked games. I don't think they necessarily value one region over the rest these days, especially with the push for global releases as opposed to Japan getting games first as they did in the first 5 Generations.

That said, there is one measure that talks and one that they listen to quite closely; sales. And in terms of Sales, Sw/Sh has already outsold every initial pair of games except G/S and R/B/G. How this factors into Pokemon's future, we can only wait and see.

IrieFuse

Unify To Thrive
Reception is hard to gauge, they don't really poll players or anything of the like to determine how much they liked games. I don't think they necessarily value one region over the rest these days, especially with the push for global releases as opposed to Japan getting games first as they did in the first 5 Generations.

That said, there is one measure that talks and one that they listen to quite closely; sales. And in terms of Sales, Sw/Sh has already outsold every initial pair of games except G/S and R/B/G. How this factors into Pokemon's future, we can only wait and see.

does that mean SwSh outsold the others in copies or revenue? Because they are more expensive too so I’m sure they wouldn’t have to sell as many copies to outsell the rest

IrieFuse

Unify To Thrive
It's based on number of units sold, not simply money spent on copies.

wow! I wonder why they sold more than previous copies. I feel like let’s go P/E really pushed the market into newer territories so by the time SwSh rolled around it was appealing to people who come from GO/LGPE and also people who’ve been following the main series for some time

BCVM22

Because they're Pokémon games on the Switch. A lot of people like Pokémon (or claim to) and a lot of people own a Switch. 2 + 2 = many, many millions of units sold. And that's independent of how the games looked in the pre-release. When the franchise was still moored to relatively-low power 2D handhelds, what the Wild Area is was the future vision of a "3D" Pokémon game. A full landscape to explore. Wild Pokémon walking and swimming and flying around. How many fan designs and fan notions and fan Photoshops and clickbait articles and "here's what I want in a console Pokémon game and if I write this passionately enough maybe Nintendo will see and..." manifestos in 2004 or whatever were spent describing 90% of what the Wild Area and other elements of Sword/Shield effectively are? LGP/E were that to a limited degree, Sword/Shield (or at least the Wild Area and the parts of the DLC that are built on the Wild Area engine) are that.

No big mystery why they've sold.

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
DP remakes would sell ALOT
Yea, but it's not up to us whether or not they get made. It's up to Game Freak, The Pokemon Company. No matter how much fans want the games, the decision to make them is up to the companies themselves.

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
I know that... :)
I know, I just meant generally. Especially, given all of the vids foreseeing those games. A lot of people would be disappointed if GF and TPC did stuff differently. And the thing is, they (GF and TPC) wouldn't be owed the possible attacks if things happened.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
I know, I just meant generally. Especially, given all of the vids foreseeing those games. A lot of people would be disappointed if GF and TPC did stuff differently. And the thing is, they (GF and TPC) wouldn't be owed the possible attacks if things happened.
Its already clear that GF and TPC do what they want, but if not DP remakes - I wonder what the next games will be? They already expanded on Swsh with the DLCs, and a new gen is too soon....

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
Its already clear that GF and TPC do what they want, but if not DP remakes - I wonder what the next games will be? They already expanded on Swsh with the DLCs, and a new gen is too soon....
That is up to them, and they'll let fans know, whenever that is. Speculation is fine, but it's no fun imo, when it's speculating over fake leaks (in general). I'm thinking it's too soon for a new game or gen.