• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Isle of Armor & The Crown Tundra DLC - RUMOR & SPECULATION Thread [Spoilers]

ShadowForce720

That is up to them, and they'll let fans know, whenever that is. Speculation is fine, but it's no fun imo, when it's speculating over fake leaks (in general). I'm thinking it's too soon for a new game or gen.

Well from 2016-2019 we had a new main series game each year. Sure it’s not impossible for 2021 to be break year but considering it’s the 25th anniversary there is probably a good chance that we will get a new main series game that year.

Now regardless I don’t think would be gen 9.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
That is up to them, and they'll let fans know, whenever that is. Speculation is fine, but it's no fun imo, when it's speculating over fake leaks (in general). I'm thinking it's too soon for a new game or gen.
Thats why I dont view these fake leaks

Bus

Hey. I'm all for them not releasing any Pokemon games for awhile and actually taking their time with the next games.

That would be a more than welcomed course of action. ;)
Same here. I know its typically every 3 years or so a new mainline game comes out, but if they up that to 5-6; sure, it would mean it would take longer, but hopefully the QoL changes and overall effort put in would make the wait worthwhile.

ShadowForce720

Same here. I know its typically every 3 years or so a new mainline game comes out, but if they up that to 5-6; sure, it would mean it would take longer, but hopefully the QoL changes and overall effort put in would make the wait worthwhile.

Just pointing this out but 3rd versions/sequels, remakes , and Let’s Go games are all mainline games as well.

It’s generations that last 3-4 years.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
did BW and BW2 get bad ratings in Japan? I feel like in the US they got some of the highest ratings for any Pokémon main series games ever and overall I think a lot of us agree that Pokémon has peaked overall with BW2 in terms of storytelling, difficulty, variety, etc. And somehow everything since has been a steady decline into more of overly linear easy games with lackluster storytelling

Quite the contrary--the Unova games has good reviews and great sales in Japan, both pairs. In the Anglosphere, Black and White had stellar reviews by professional critics but weren't well-liked by the fans, while Black 2 and White 2 had mixed to negative reviews but the fans liked it more. The reviewers, for the most part, really liked the story and characters of Black and White and welcomed the lack of returning Pokémon, while Black 2 and White 2 were criticized as being more of the same and without enough different from the previous games. (Little did they know they'd be the sequel games to change the most!) Black 2 and White 2 also happened to be some of the worst selling main series Pokémon games outside of Japan, but within Japan they sold incredibly well, with sales in Japan accounting for about 50% of global sales (all other main series Pokémon games have Japan taking up 25% to 35% of globalsales).

Sales patterns for Pokémon games in Japan compared to outside of Japan indicate that the Japanese are mostly comfortable with third versions/sequel pairs, while non-Japanese players tend not to bother with any Pokémon games except the first ones released in a generation, no matter how much is added within that generation.

I disagree. XY definitely needed a third version as there were too many things in the games that were either unexplained or hinted but then left unresolved. We don’t know where the train tracks in Couriway Town go, why the Terminus Cave Mines were abandoned and if it was Zygarde that frightened them away or something else, or even Zygarde’s relationship with the mortality duo as it clearly has a connection to them with its Aura Break Ability which is only activated when facing one of them. And it seems like Luminose City’s sewers were going to be accessible like Castila City where we would find Pokémon living underneath the city.

There's also Dendemille Town, which seemed to serve no purpose whatsoever that some other town didn't also serve. Unlike other flyover towns in Pokémon games, like Oldale Town and Floaroma Town, it was located pretty far into the game. I always felt like something was planned for Dendemille that never came to fruition.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Plot twist, if XY ever gets remakes, the train will link it to Galar :p

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Its a shame there isnt a lore that connects Galar and Kalos.. They are close..
And there is that railway track that does go from France to England in real life so it wouldn’t be that Farfetch’d. It would also explain why several of Kalos Pokémon can survive in Galar and serve as a more detailed history of the Great War mentioned in XY. The French And English did have a political rivalry for centuries and fought each other several times in many wars.

janejane6178

And there is that railway track that does go from France to England in real life so it wouldn’t be that Farfetch’d. It would also explain why several of Kalos Pokémon can survive in Galar and serve as a more detailed history of the Great War mentioned in XY. The French And English did have a political rivalry for centuries and fought each other several times in many wars.
Too bad the station in Couriway town didnt lead to Galar..

Copley Hill Gym

Just want to say a few words in support of Galar and this generation - but emphasizing that I am a Brit, and have lived in London for most of my life.

Galar has been a reflection of so much of my heritage, and the attention to detail from the names of places, designs of buildings, the Pokemon selected and found, even the yellow warning panels on the trains and the styles of the tickets for isle of armor and crown tundra (orange and grey) that reflect my upbringing has been incredible. Life affirming. Beautiful at times. It's been a love letter to Britain and I love the designers for it.

I can't express how, in one of the most difficult years of my life, Pokemon Shield has been a magnificent comfort and aid to my mental health, just by having those links to my country in it, reminding me of all the good stuff we have and all the rich heritage. The nods to industrial history, kings and queens of England, pubs, football stadiums, our railways, and more - the designers of this game did an amazing job.

So by all means criticize Shield where it gets things wrong. But remember that it is, at the end of the day, a product of many creative minds, working hard to produce something meaningful and fun. Shield's been the game of 2020 for me. I doubt I am alone in that!

janejane6178

Just want to say a few words in support of Galar and this generation - but emphasizing that I am a Brit, and have lived in London for most of my life.

Galar has been a reflection of so much of my heritage, and the attention to detail from the names of places, designs of buildings, the Pokemon selected and found, even the yellow warning panels on the trains and the styles of the tickets for isle of armor and crown tundra (orange and grey) that reflect my upbringing has been incredible. Life affirming. Beautiful at times. It's been a love letter to Britain and I love the designers for it.

I can't express how, in one of the most difficult years of my life, Pokemon Shield has been a magnificent comfort and aid to my mental health, just by having those links to my country in it, reminding me of all the good stuff we have and all the rich heritage. The nods to industrial history, kings and queens of England, pubs, football stadiums, our railways, and more - the designers of this game did an amazing job.

So by all means criticize Shield where it gets things wrong. But remember that it is, at the end of the day, a product of many creative minds, working hard to produce something meaningful and fun. Shield's been the game of 2020 for me. I doubt I am alone in that!
I agree with u that Pokemon in general is major comfort for me, when I am sad.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer

I agree with some of the flaws like the handholding, the short routes, and the lack of direct interactions with plot points, but Galar has still become one of my top three favorite generations (the other two being Johto & Unova). While not as big as past generations, the region still has a grandiose feel with the scale and attention to detail , and the environments are on par with Alola & Johto in terms of portraying culture and lore of their real world counterpart. Plus, this generation has produced my favorite batch of pokemon that turn out to reflect the UK in a variety of creative ways once you look into their influences (which is something I always love doing) and for once there's not a single design I hate. There are some that I hate based on my in-game experiences with them like Skwovet & Greedent, but there's not a single pokemon in Galar that I hate because of how they look.

While the story is a bit simple & has the same problems as the other 3D pokemon games (and I've had to rely on outside sources like Twilight Wings or my imagination to fill in the gaps of the plot or characters' storylines), I still couldn't help but get sucked in thanks to the gym challenge combing classic gym battles and the trials with a sports motif, and with Hop's development. His arc basically made him the friendly rival equivalent to Silver in my opinion, even though the games' limitations did hold him back a bit).

Plus, like other players who were drawn in during Gen 6 (assuming), Galar helped me get into competitive battling. I'm still more-so a roleplayer and I'm completely against formats or communities like Smogon who try to take the unpredictability out of battles, but the games' sports motif, Dynamaxing, and the National Dex cut convinced me to give competitive battles a chance and now I have so much fun doing them. I honestly feel like Ash or one of the protagonists form the Adventures manga since I'm using my in-game teams from my roleplaying playthroughs against other trainers around the world and it's become a new challenge that I'm really excited about. Now I'm more confident when taking on pokemon that at first I thought were unkillable gods like Landorus and the Ultra Beasts.

Personally, I'm fine with whatever happens next year (new DLC, remakes, or no game), but despite their flaws Galar now has a special place in my heart and Gen 8's currently one of the best pokemon games in my opinion.

Last edited:

Pokemon Power

Personally, I'm fine with whatever happens next year (new DLC, remakes, or no game), but despite their flaws Galar now has a special place in my heart and Gen 8's currently one of the best pokemon games in my opinion.
Well, Sword and Shield have beaten most of the other initial pair games in lifetime sales. Still trekking behind Red and Blue, and Gold and Silver of course, but that could change down the line.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Well, Sword and Shield have beaten most of the other initial pair games in lifetime sales. Still trekking behind Red and Blue, and Gold and Silver of course, but that could change down the line.
No way is SWSH beating RB. That's too big of a milestone to achieve. GS is more likely.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony

I always felt that Game Freak is a company full of artists. They want to get a particular look across, and they feel that you do that in the details. This is an area I've felt Game Freak has always excelled at. Even if they're not as good with 3-D graphics as they might want to be, they still have room to make all those little touches, and it's something I appreciate, as I'm the sort of person who looks at little details myself.

Probably helps that a number of people currently at Game Freak used to work with Shigesato Itoi (creator of the MOTHER series). He's one of the most meticulous people in the entire video game industry. In EarthBound, for instance, there is a sound effect for stepping on wet ground used only in the game's epilogue. Bear in mind that this was during the 16-bit era, when most games didn't have footstep sounds at all or had just one for all terrain; it was because Itoi felt that footstep sounds should match the terrain the characters are walking on. They started showing up at Game Freak roughly around Pokémon Diamond and Pearl's development.

Until they make a game based on somewhere I live (and there's a nonzero chance at that, as there is a lot of Japanese tourism here, at least during non-pandemic conditions), I won't be able to fully appreciate those details the way you did with the UK though. Helps that they actually have someone from the UK to consult for accuracy.

Zorovolt

Champion of the Zora
Chances that a patch will be rolled out for the rest of the missing mons (except of course the MEs, PRs, Ultra Necrozma)?

I think most would agree that the remaining past mons will return in the next pair of main series games, be they DP remakes or something else. I do imagine that at the time of these games' release, or shortly thereafter, the remaining mons returning in said games would then be patched into SwSh, for transfer via trade or Pokemon Home. Only my opinion though.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Chances that a patch will be rolled out for the rest of the missing mons (except of course the MEs, PRs, Ultra Necrozma)?
I don't know if there will even be a patch, but I don't think that we are getting one unless we are getting more Sword and Shield DLC.