• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Joy of Water Pokémon! (208)

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Apart from her unreasonable fear of them, this episode wasn't too good...

I don't think it was 'unreasonable' cuz as we saw, Joy had a scary encounter with a water type (Remoraid) as a kid. So her fear made sense.

I didn't think Nurse Joy's fear of Water-types was that good as a plot device at first, but I was happy to see Misty get some much needed attention.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
I didn't like the Nurse Joy in this episode since she was paranoid as hell, but I'm glad that she was able to put aside her feelings about Water Pokemon enough to still treat them. This was a standard filler.

Leonhart

Imagineer
This episode was unique in that we rarely get to see Joi as the star of an episode. I'll be the first to admit that her phobia of Water-types stemming from an encounter with Teppouo seemed iffy, but I liked how passionate Kasumi was and how she attempted to change Joi's opinion of Water-types, even if it didn't work.

DatsRight

I think early Pokemon had issues making characters with phobias sympathetic. Phobias aren't rashional or controlled, they're just set off by something in the brain. Just because someone's an arachnophobe doesn't necessarily mean they genuinely want every spider on the planet to go die in an alley. Lillie is one of the more sympathetic cases because it's clear she resents this fear she can't control and is even a bit embarrassed of it.

Misty was probably the worst choice for this episode because she's famed for multiple phobias (eg. bugs and Gyarados) and in the case of bug Pokemon, letting it take control of her behaviour and convert it into outright abusive contempt (we get you're scared of Caterpie, but did you have to insult the poor thing until it cried???).

I get Misty didn't get a lot of spotlight in the early point of Johto era so likely the reason we got this, even then though, this isn't exactly a very memorable episode for her, even ignoring the hypocritical elements.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
Misty was probably the worst choice for this episode because she's famed for multiple phobias (eg. bugs and Gyarados) and in the case of bug Pokemon, letting it take control of her behaviour and convert it into outright abusive contempt (we get you're scared of Caterpie, but did you have to insult the poor thing until it cried???).

Now that you mention it, Kasumi's preaching in this episode did seem hypocritical given that she had her own phobias that she hadn't yet resolved, so she shouldn't have been acting so high and mighty. I'm still happy that Kasumi was involved here, but she shouldn't have meddled so much in Joi's business.

Alloutℯ

Banned
It was nice that this Nurse Joy was different from all the others. I felt bad for Misty. She had the dream to get her Pokemon examined by Nurse Joy only to be disappointed.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I still wonder why a harmless Water-type such as Teppouo was chosen as the source for Joi's phobia here, when this episode's writer could've chosen something much more frightening like Odile or Dokukurage for that purpose.

Daizy

I call you honey
I liked how the episode ended with Joy staying the same. It's a realistic look into these sorts of mental trauma and feelings at least to the point where Joy's feelings don't just disappear.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
This episode made my dislike misty too much, she was giving joey hard time for not liking water type but she herself hated bug types and even called them the most disgusting thing ever. I wished ala the sister of that kanto bug type gym leader teach misty some manners in her johto episode. She was a total hypocrite here.

Leonhart

Imagineer
ash&charizardfan said:
I wished ala the sister of that kanto bug type gym leader teach misty some manners in her johto episode. She was a total hypocrite here.

Kanto didn't have a Bug-type Gym Leader, but I do agree with you 100% that Kasumi was a complete hypocrite here. She shouldn't have been the one who judged Joi's phobia.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Kanto didn't have a Bug-type Gym Leader, but I do agree with you 100% that Kasumi was a complete hypocrite here. She shouldn't have been the one who judged Joi's phobia.
Sorry I always tend to mistake koga with a bug type gym leader since he had a venonat. At least aya had a venonat too.

It was different seeing a Nurse Joy who had a phobia of certain Pokemon because you would think that all Nurse Joys would act the same when it comes to healing injured Pokemon. I liked this episode though because we got to see Misty try her best to make Joy like Water Pokemon even though her efforts were mostly in vain. I thought that the episode offered a really good lesson though.