• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Kalos Dex Thread v2 [READ FIRST POST]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regality

Digital King

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
then why not create more for this region

Numerous reasons.

For one, data space. They have to make and animate 3D models for every variant of every Pokémon, and Shiny Pokémon double that count. Introducing more and more Pokémon only consumes more and more space.

For two, there are tons of older Pokémon that are still perfectly usable. There's no reason why they should be disregarded just for the sake of bringing in more new things that will clog up the Pokédex and create more problems for Game Freak. Pokémon have a purpose beyond being captured. Tell me, how many Gen V Pokémon have you used personally? All 156? Somehow, I doubt that. Having a lower count gives the new Pokémon more equal exposure, and having old Pokémon in the games gives people an option in case they do not like or want to use the new Pokémon. Furthermore, this is where mega evolutions come in - the concept of mega evolutions allows Game Freak to make old Pokémon relevant again while also introducing something that is technically new and saving on Pokédex space and game data. And by extension, it avoids over-saturation.

To offer a metaphor, the place where I work stocks paper reams. We have paper of all different colors, and when we get close to running out, we order more. But we don't do that if we already have an adequate amount of one kind of paper - if you have fifteen reams of orange paper, and you only use two or so per week, you wouldn't order fifteen more when you already had fifteen in stock. Now, think of Pokémon as that paper. As of Gen V, we already had 649 perfectly usable reams of paper. We needed *some* more for Gen VI, but we weren't running low - therefore, Game Freak didn't "order" 100 reams. They "ordered" 69 because it was more efficient and perfectly serviceable, and it kept their stocks from overflowing.

And of course, as explained by Masuda himself in an interview that Jb posted two pages ago, they have to think up names and file copyrights for every single Pokémon, which only creates more work and more issues for them.

and have at least the 100?

Why 100 specifically? How much more would an extra 31 Pokémon have offered in all relevant aspects?

when most don't even look good and, as I said there's a good amount that hardly even change at all

If you don't like mega evolutions, then that is unfortunate, but it is also entirely your own problem - lots of people really like mega evolutions. And they do offer significant changes; perhaps not always in the looks department, but unquestionably so in the gameplay department.

EDIT: Apparently my points are "stupid." Duly noted.

Last edited:
For anybody currently with the game, would you mind posting your region (State, Country) and the pattern of vivillon you have? It's for science.

WaterMasterDD

Water Trainer
For anybody currently with the game, would you mind posting your region (State, Country) and the pattern of vivillon you have? It's for science.

Erm, my Pokédex says it's the 'Meadow Pattern'? It's black with pink wings that have a black edge, the upper-wings have a white stripe with blue squares and the lower have a white stripe with a darker pink square? I'm from the UK.

marrycherrylips

Numerous reasons.

For one, data space. They have to make and animate 3D models for every variant of every Pokémon, and Shiny Pokémon double that count. Introducing more and more Pokémon only consumes more and more space.

For two, there are tons of older Pokémon that are still perfectly usable. There's no reason why they should be disregarded just for the sake of bringing in more new things that will clog up the Pokédex and create more problems for Game Freak. Pokémon have a purpose beyond being captured. Tell me, how many Gen V Pokémon have you used personally? All 156? Somehow, I doubt that. Having a lower count gives the new Pokémon more equal exposure, and having old Pokémon in the games gives people an option in case they do not like or want to use the new Pokémon. Furthermore, this is where mega evolutions come in - the concept of mega evolutions allows Game Freak to make old Pokémon relevant again while also introducing something that is technically new and saving on Pokédex space and game data. And by extension, it avoids over-saturation.

To offer a metaphor, the place where I work stocks paper reams. We have paper of all different colors, and when we get close to running out, we order more. But we don't do that if we already have an adequate amount of one kind of paper - if you have fifteen reams of orange paper, and you only use two or so per week, you wouldn't order fifteen more when you already had fifteen in stock. Now, think of Pokémon as that paper. As of Gen V, we already had 649 perfectly usable reams of paper. We needed *some* more for Gen VI, but we weren't running low - therefore, Game Freak didn't "order" 100 reams. They "ordered" 69 because it was more efficient and perfectly serviceable, and it kept their stocks from overflowing.

Why 100 specifically? How much more would an extra 31 Pokémon have offered in all relevant aspects?

If you don't like mega evolutions, then that is unfortunate, but it is also entirely your own problem - lots of people really like mega evolutions. And they do offer significant changes; perhaps not always in the looks department, but unquestionably so in the gameplay department.

It might not have offered much but its just what people have come to expect.Plus when you come to reveal day and it turns out that you already knew a good 30 or so of them before the game was even released doesn't it make it slightly anti-climatic when you already know almost half the dex?

and yes not liking mega evolutions is my problem, at what point did I ever try and suggest it wasn't?

to answer your question I used probably somewhere in the order of 60 of the new ones

IMACHARIZARDGUY

Pokemon Master
damn mega aggron is versioned to X, guess gonna have to trade or bank

PMG

Pokemon Master Gaz
do we know if all 718 are available in the games yet? (I counted the Events in with that but I doubt they will be in game)

Crap, I didn't see Milotic or Feebas in the updated Dex. This is going to kill my line up. Little disappointed, might have to go with Simipour then.

scorpio66

In terms of both New general Pokemon and New legendaries X and Y are a HUGE dissappointment. I cant help but feel they really phoned it through on this one. I was worried this might happen due to them making all the character models 3ds that they would get lazy with the new pokemon. :( I mean a keychain as a pokemon, and most of the pokemon look utter crap like carbink and bergemite, theres like 6-7 of them that all look very similar, very small design, no real detail, what happened to the huge lavishly designed pokemon? As a huge fan and an utter obssessive when its come to X and Y I feel really meh with the new Kalos pokedex. This gens pokemon are deffinitely the worst of all the gens! Also I feel meh about the Torchic event pokemon, wat happened to getting an exciting new even pokemon ala victini and Genosect in gen 5! :(

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
do we know if all 718 are available in the games yet? (I counted the Events in with that but I doubt they will be in game)

We know that 454 Pokemon (including all 69 gen 6 Pokemon) are listed in the Kalos Pokedex.
The Togepi line, while not listed, is available post-game. We're still discovering Friend Safari as well since it's the one to most likely have the rest of the Pokemon bar legendaries and starters.

Bluemage21

In terms of both New general Pokemon and New legendaries X and Y are a HUGE dissappointment. I cant help but feel they really phoned it through on this one. I was worried this might happen due to them making all the character models 3ds that they would get lazy with the new pokemon. :( I mean a keychain as a pokemon, and most of the pokemon look utter crap like carbink and bergemite, theres like 6-7 of them that all look very similar, very small design, no real detail, what happened to the huge lavishly designed pokemon? As a huge fan and an utter obssessive when its come to X and Y I feel really meh with the new Kalos pokedex. This gens pokemon are deffinitely the worst of all the gens! Also I feel meh about the Torchic event pokemon, wat happened to getting an exciting new even pokemon ala victini and Genosect in gen 5! :(

Why did you post this on two threads? There are always people who say the current gen is the worst gen, it is nothing special. As for the genesect, victini thing, that only happened for HGSS, BW, and B2W2, at least they are giving a pokemon away, most times they did not.

Status
Not open for further replies.