• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Kalos Dex Thread v2 [READ FIRST POST]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been breeding a few dozen Helioptiles the past few days, and the vast majority of them have been female. Does anyone know if the 50/50 gender ratio listed on Serebii and Bulbapedia is accurate?

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
I'm not sure if this has been posted yet, but Mega Man artist Hitoshi Ariga contributed designs to this generation. Here's the exact quote:

Art Director Sugimori gave me the all clear to tell everyone, so I finally get to make a few announcements about work that I have been doing recently.

I had a hand in the new 3DS game "Pocket Monsters XY". Specifically, I designed some new Pokemon! (listed below)
- Pangoro
- Inkay
- Malamar
- Honedge
- Doublade
- Aegislash
- Tyrunt
- Tyrantrum
- Amaura
- Aurorus

I've actually been doing video game work for quite a while now (over two decades), including projects for things like PCE, MD, and SFC. Apparently the Pokemon art director, Sugimori, had taken notice of some of my past work and that's why he asked me if I'd be interested in doing some design work for Pokemon XY.

So in some ways, designing Pokemon for XY was like an
extension of my days of drawing monsters for "ActRaiser 2" and "Beyond Oasis". I am a Pokemon Trainer as well as an illustrator, so needless to say I was incredibly honored and pleased to have this opportunity.

I just thought the Pokemon XY players following me might find this information interesting!

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
He designed the Honedge line? I might be looking at my new favorite artist here. This is some interesting information, though. I wonder if we can expect more from him in future generations? I suppose it's too early to tell.

Kalos.Fan

Wait, Cryogonal isn't related to Kyurem, is it?

I mean beside it using them in Movie 15, there's nothing in the games hinting that?

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Wait, Cryogonal isn't related to Kyurem, is it?

I mean beside it using them in Movie 15, there's nothing in the games hinting that?

No, not at all.

IMACHARIZARDGUY

Pokemon Master
just curios how many pokemon can you catch in the game from all regions.

I know some aren't available until the bank but including the 69 kalos pokemon, how many can be caught / legitimately traded?

confuser987

I really don't consider that much of a plus when some Fairy types (Mega Mawile and Azumarill in particular) can wall them even harder then Steel types did, plus Dazzling Gleam's distribution as a coverage move has made it so they can't even serve as counters to some of the Psychic type Pokemon anymore.

It's only going to get worse in future generations once the number of decent Fairy types increases. Though I'm hoping they realize that Fairy is rather overpowered defensively by then and remove some of its resistances or give it more weaknesses.

Fairy isn't overpowered; it has two weakness poison and steel which were really underused offensively in previous generations.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
just curios how many pokemon can you catch in the game from all regions.

I know some aren't available until the bank but including the 69 kalos pokemon, how many can be caught / legitimately traded?

596 total can be obtained without the Bank. So the Friend Safari adds a lot to the already large amount of Pokemon in the Kalos Dex.

Oshakpop

Eeveelution Master
The fact there is so many Pokémon in the Dex makes me wonder why they didn't just make the stretch and make all the Pokémon bar Legendaries & Starters available. I mean, no point waiting for anything like a second game to add them seeming Pokémon Bank will render it moot.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
596 total can be obtained without the Bank. So the Friend Safari adds a lot to the already large amount of Pokemon in the Kalos Dex.

Speaking of which, I love the amount of the non-Kalos Dex Pokémon obtainable through Friend Safari and fossils*, 139. It is almost enough to include 11 more Pokémon, which is the amount of another starter set plus another early route two-stager or just straight up a myriad of two stagers and a few single stagers or one three stagers, and make another regional Dex out of it. It gets even better with all of the empty slots and duplicate lines some of the Pokémon have. GF are truly the masters of subtlety.

Edit: *Edited to include the fossils. Though it should be mentioned that the only Dex that has pre-generational fossils is the Kalos one, the latter ones didn't include them even after their expansion. So there is possibly 16 more open slots for pre-E4.

Last edited:

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Speaking of which, I love the amount of the non-Kalos Dex Pokémon obtainable through Friend Safari, 139. It is almost enough to include 11 more Pokémon, which is the amount of another starter set plus another early route two-stager or just straight up a myriad of two stagers and a few single stagers or one three stagers, and make another regional Dex out of it. It gets even better with all of the empty slots and duplicate lines some of the Pokémon have. GF are truly the masters of subtlety.

Whoa, I actually never noticed that before. That's actually really cool. If they had just included another starter set or something, that would have been a fantastic addition to the dex.

Oshakpop

Eeveelution Master
I agree - I'd of liked a fourth Regional Dex and that they were split the South, the North, the East and the West Dex to accommodate a few new Pokémon. But I understand why they kept many Friend Safari only.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
I agree - I'd of liked a fourth Regional Dex and that they were split the South, the North, the East and the West Dex to accommodate a few new Pokémon. But I understand why they kept many Friend Safari only.

There isn't really much Pokemon on the northern side of Kalos.
And there would be way too many Pokemon on the western and eastern dexes.

So, I don't think it warrants it's own dex, unless they expand the lacking section to give the dex a balanced split.

IMACHARIZARDGUY

Pokemon Master

Wow that is a lot of pokemon

I'm up to 400 or so at the moment, finished the game and got all legendaries apart from zygarde. Just breeding and trading at the moment. Still don't know what my friend safari type is or the pokemon i offer lol

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
There isn't really much Pokemon on the northern side of Kalos.
And there would be way too many Pokemon on the western and eastern dexes.

So, I don't think it warrants it's own dex, unless they expand the lacking section to give the dex a balanced split.

unless they introduce new areas

Khinhazzard

MultiBattle Brawler
will there be a list of pokemon that cannot be catched in Kalos Region?

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
inb4 Dex revamp in Tangent and Cotangent games
unless they introduce new areas
Oh, it gets better. Almost of all of those Pokémon are already available, in other words, you can include them into a separate region section without violating the game balance much. At least, in theory.

And there would still be 42 non-legendary/non-starter Pokémon+27 Starter Pokémon+5 Johto Legendaries+8 Hoenn Legendaries+9 Sinnoh Legendaries+9 Unova Legendaries-8 legendaries for post-E4 additions to complete the four dexes to the magic 153 number(excluding the event Pokémon) and 38 non-legendary evolutionary lines with their Hidden Abilities unavailable. Most of the latter are fishing/diving and Fossil Pokémon, as Friend Safari and Horde battles exclude those for obvious reasons. You can use these however you want as material for other games, Kalos or non-Kalos. Or pull a Gen V and not use a wide selection of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.