• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Kalos Region Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andymac93

I don't want to sound rude and no offence if your french but I personally feel that France although a beautiful country is not expansive or has a lot of variety to become a region on its own. Though I do think it can be a central part of what I think is a European based region. I think France Germany UK Italy (hopefully an evil mafia like gang is going to be located there) Spain turkey and Nordic countries are going to be in there. This will give a variety of region areas like a Mediterranean coastal area a Paris like city the market of Istanbul or even the cold tundra areas like Norway.

I'm sorry but i think that's pretty ignorant, France in itself is culturally, geographically and historically diverse enough to be a few regions actually, much in the way there are 4 regions in Japan alone, France, being much larger could also be used for as many, if not more regions.

Ver-mont

I don't think it's so much 'haste' as 'desire to see it happen in our lifetimes' - as I said before, gen 7 almost certainly won't be set just 30-odd miles away across the channel, or anywhere else nearby. Besides, it's not as if any of the games are going to be a detailed cultural commentary, just look at Surge, Clay and Fantina for portrayal of characters from different countries. Really, I think people just want to be able to have a little place in the Pokemon world of their own to associate with.

I suspect GameFreak is basing their new regions according to the biggest Pokémon hubs. Just see the countries with full localizations of their own.

When they decided to leave Japan, they went for the US. Now they're going for France. Maybe next they'll do Germany or Italy.

I am interested in the desserts, I wonder if they are actually placed where real exist or are just made up, anyway, here are my guesses.
Just France: If the region is just France it would probably just be an imaginary desert and could be anywhere.
A part of Europe:The Tabernas Desert, it lays in Spain, which is fairly close to France, and probably in the northern part of the region.
The whole of Europe: The Bledowska Desert, I think it is the largest desert in Europe and it exists in Poland, which would place it at the middle of a map or so.

Poetry

Dancing Mad
Linearity is a huge part of what's going to make or break this region. Hopefully with the implementation of 3D graphics we can have some large, open spaces for us to explore at our own leisure with minimal restrictions.

Linearity is a huge part of what's going to make or break this region. Hopefully with the implementation of 3D graphics we can have some large, open spaces for us to explore at our own leisure with minimal restrictions.

I would love to see a non linear world to explore for Pokemon X and Y :D

carboncopy

(-) (-) (-) (-)
I suspect GameFreak is basing their new regions according to the biggest Pokémon hubs. Just see the countries with full localizations of their own.

When they decided to leave Japan, they went for the US. Now they're going for France. Maybe next they'll do Germany or Italy.

So what r the places that have the most pokemon fans ?

This may be a long shot, but I'm hoping Hoenn is accessible during the post-game. The route numbers would make sense (new region is 1, 2, 3,... and Hoenn is 101, 102, 103...), and the red/blue theme is reminiscent of Ruby and Sapphire. And of course, if GameFreak is going to skip the RS remake, that would be a great way to satisfy fans of Ruby and Sapphire.

Poetry

Dancing Mad
This may be a long shot, but I'm hoping Hoenn is accessible during the post-game. The route numbers would make sense (new region is 1, 2, 3,... and Hoenn is 101, 102, 103...), and the red/blue theme is reminiscent of Ruby and Sapphire. And of course, if GameFreak is going to skip the RS remake, that would be a great way to satisfy fans of Ruby and Sapphire.

It's fairly safe to say that Hoenn is not going to be in this game. At all. The best you can hope for are remakes way after these games are released.

Ver-mont

and the red/blue theme is reminiscent of Ruby and Sapphire

Again? People said the same thing when the logos for Black 2 and White 2 were revealed ("oh, it's totally a ruby and a sapphire right there"), and look how it went.

I think you guys are just seeing what you want to see, and you'll probably say this every time a red/blue color scheme pops up.

carboncopy

(-) (-) (-) (-)
It's fairly safe to say that Hoenn is not going to be in this game. At all. The best you can hope for are remakes way after these games are released.

how can you be sure ?

Again? People said the same thing when the logos for Black 2 and White 2 were revealed ("oh, it's totally a ruby and a sapphire right there"), and look how it went.
excatly !

so we cant say anything at this point

SilverFox

So sly

Just don't make it too open, I got fusterated many times during Sinnoh getting lost a bunch of times not knowing where to go next.

Zero38

Self-made
france is such a cool place to show the 3D, it is as they say in the trailer, breath-taking 3D.
the areas already look exciting and lovely with the blue skies and glittering water ^^

TheSirPeras

The end of an era
france is such a cool place to show the 3D, it is as they say in the trailer, breath-taking 3D.
the areas already look exciting and lovely with the blue skies and glittering water ^^

I agree, the Eiffel tower looked amazing! It would be cool if each city was based on different places of Europe. Like, one with Berlin, another with London and the red light district

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I think stuffing so much of Europe into a single region would be wasting potential from the countries that could even be used for other regions. Every country in Europe has its own identity and its particularities, and they could produce regions as diverse between themselves as the ones based in Japan.

I honestly don't know why people would like this region to be Europe all-in-one. Just a haste to see the other parts of the continent pokémon-ed, even if it feels crammed and superficial?

You could say the same for the U.S., and yet they chose one small area from the entire country and added a bit of those other cultures into the region and claimed that that represented the entire U.S. I think they'll do the same here, the area itself will be based on France, but the culture will be based on Europe in general.

Poetry

Dancing Mad
how can you be sure ?

I'm not, I just don't particularly want to see the inevitable influx of Hoenn and remake spam coming in again. The presentation is over, Iwata said nothing about Hoenn remakes, let's leave it at that.

Just don't make it too open, I got fusterated many times during Sinnoh getting lost a bunch of times not knowing where to go next.

Obviously there is a line between having enough to explore and having too much (Twilight Princess suffered from this a lot) but I think GF would have learned their lessons from previous regions and gauged a good exploration level in a 3D environment. In any case, that's a matter of linearity you're talking about, not openness. You could potentially have very very open places but very strict linearity at the same time.

Last edited:
I think you guys are just seeing what you want to see, and you'll probably say this every time a red/blue color scheme pops up.

Well I know the red/blue scheme proves absolutely nothing, but at least it would be consistent. Since details on this game are so scarce, one can hope. :)

Pasque

France seems a safe bet. It has a lot to offer geographically. It's large, has a wide range of environments and I'd argue has more noticeably recognisable cultural facets and stereotypes associated to it. (the food, architecture, fashion, museums/arts, etc).

As for those who argue "there's no desert in France", well there's no desert in NY or Kyushu, yet there were deserts in Unova and Hoenn.

Vecherom

Lavaridge Trainer
Was it just me, or was the one building looking a little like the palace of versailles?

Status
Not open for further replies.