• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Kanto Classic

Will you be playing in the Kanto Classic?

• Total voters
Anyone know if you have to win/lose 3 battles to get the dragonite or will I get it by forfeiting 3 battles? Thought I'd try it out and I'm hating it so don't want to do any more but I'd like the dragonite!

BugCatcher6

I went 9-1 last night. My loss was solely on my poor game play. I changed my lead for some reason and instead of switching when my opponent had predicted my lead, I played the game of chicken and my opponent did not blink. I managed a small comeback, but Fissure got me to turn the momentum back to my opponent.

My son, however, went 10-0 today in the Junior Division.

I bred, trained, and designed his team, so I am taking a little credit for myself. Although watching the battles his opponents did not seem as skilled as to what he is used to from previous tournaments. He had 2 games that he swept 6-0. Snorlax sweep and a Golem sweep. He won all the other battles 4-0 or 5-0.

I hope he continues to do well, I would love to see him beat his highest ranking. His highest ranking was #176 in the Pikachu Cup, 22 wins and 12 losses.

LunarDD

I went 9-1 last night. My loss was solely on my poor game play. I changed my lead for some reason and instead of switching when my opponent had predicted my lead, I played the game of chicken and my opponent did not blink. I managed a small comeback, but Fissure got me to turn the momentum back to my opponent.

I bred, trained, and designed his team, so I am taking a little credit for myself. Although watching the battles his opponents did not seem as skilled as to what he is used to from previous tournaments. He had 2 games that he swept 6-0. Snorlax sweep and a Golem sweep. He won all the other battles 4-0 or 5-0.

I hope he continues to do well, I would love to see him beat his highest ranking. His highest ranking was #176 in the Pikachu Cup, 22 wins and 12 losses.

Oh wow how old is your kid? Thats a Championship title contender right there :)

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。

Love the family participance! Hope all goes well for the rest of the days.

BugCatcher6

Oh wow how old is your kid? Thats a Championship title contender right there :)

My son will be 12 in April.

He has not played the game in forever. He does not even have the Vs Recorder in AS yet. He randomly enters PGL events when they give away prizes he likes.

Watching his battles I honestly did not see any of his opponents having a grasp on competitive battling. Like he knows type match ups and understands what I designed his Pokémon to do, but I think going solo he would not do as well.

He use to be a huge fan of Pokémon and was getting pretty good in the competitive area, but Call of Duty is his competition setting now.

I am about to do my day 2 battles. I am nervous after going 9-1 on day 1. I always slip on day 2.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
First day, 9-1. I have been having trouble with snorlax though, I've had to rely on opponents playing badly to deal with the rest variants. My best chance has usually been having my Mr. Mime encore it into sleep talk to switch it out and having clefable set up on something else so it can OHKO with moon blast.

BugCatcher6

Day 1: 9-1

Day 2: 5-5 :(

Seriously disappointed in the mental mistakes I made.

Not to take away from my opponents. I was 3-1 against Asian trainers on Day 1 and 0-4 against Asian trainers on Day 2.

They have some very creative teams that take you by surprise.

14-6 pretty much removes me from Top Cuts.

My son is going to get to battle tomorrow, so hopefully he keeps his streak going.

Cutty

Forever now
My team: Machamp, Vaporeon, Aerodactyl, Snorlax, Vileplume, Clefable.

Day 1: 5-5

Day 2: 6-4

My team is vurnerable to Psychic variants w/ good speed, but actually when I play it right I can manage to win.

I was expecting to see many Sun teams but I've met only 2 so far & they're just partially using the weather.

Creative/annoying teams so far come from the Japanese xD

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
Day 1: 8-2.

Day 2: 9-1.

I'm proud that I have managed to pull 9-1 in the second day of the tournament, especially battling with more experienced trainers of Japan. Going to the final day with a 17-3 in total.

Theo-92

Went 9-1 yesterday, played rather badly in my last game which my opponent took advantage of, as you do.

Bit of hax on both ends so far with a clutch Fissure in my favor on the 8th game that allowed me to take game from there

Did have one opponent who tried fishing for a disconnection to get the win when he realised he had lost. Was rather annoying as this dragged the game on for 20-25 minutes longer than it should have been.

Hoping to play some more games today and tomorrow if I can find the time as this is were the games become more interesting. ☺

Last edited:

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
Did have one opponent who tried fishing for a disconnection to get the win when he realised he had lost. Was rather annoying as this dragged the game on for 20-25 minutes longer than it should have been.

Same here. If Danny from Switzerland here reading this, hello.

Greendetective

So how did you guys do overall? This was my first tournament, I went 10-0 the first day, 7-3 the second, and 3-7 the last for a total of 20-10. Apparently challenging people right on the start of a new day will make you face against a lot of high raters. 6 of my losses were to Japanese players on the third day xD I want to say half of my losses were due to bad luck; multiple crits, misses, speed tie losses, hitting self in confusion 2xs in a row, heat wave burns, and triple paralysis(probably the worse). The other half was because the enemy team was more stall oriented so they could switch out a lot more and I would eventually lose out in the switching game(chip damage) or I'd make a terrible awful prediction(like one time I expected this guy to switch out his dragonite for jolteon so he wouldn't get paralyzed by Raichu[so useful] but then he stayed and used earthquake while I only set up a light screen T.T).

Who was your MVP? I love love love my dragonite(gave him iron wing so clefables were killed). Also gave him weird evs so he can tank stuff with a jolly nature and pure attack. The guy swept through teams when all my poke's were dead... BUuuuut I have to say my go to win would always be the king/queen of the skies Aerodactyl. Outspeeding everything he could crunch(byebye gengars and alakazams) while also having stealth rocks and whirlwind(so many lol moments of people trying to set up). Stone edge would always give a good k.o and it only missed once while I was playing (aero was a good boy).

fire fan 888

So I'm currently 10-10, havent played today yet. I am getting wreeeeecked by minimize clefable. I didnt even think about it and therefore neglected to bring taunt. but I am winning half my games, which is good in my eyes. especially for non EV/IV trained pokemon I threw together as an excuse to enter.

My chief winner has been dragonite (who is IV and EV trained). Most people think their jolteons are a good matchup, but I just earthquake them away. My Golem has been surprisingly helpful, setting up a stealth rock and getting away with doing it to water pokemon due to sturdy. I have only run into one rapid spin user so I get away with it mostly. Stealth rock one killed a charizard entirely for me (it took out half his like and for some reason he withdrew it) and then proceeded to finish off a weakened jolteon and gengar (all in the same match. it was amazing. 3-0 golem).

My most riveting match: all my pokemon fainted but my alakasam who proceeded to outspeed and annialate 5 pokemon in a row for the win. I was content. saved that on battle spot.

But yeah Im pretty average

Cutty

Forever now
8-2 on the third day bringing to a total of 19-11. Despite of my bad plays, the haxes mostly were not in my favor. 3 Sheer Cold hit from one of the Japanese players, Low accuracy moves were successful in a row, my moves missed in critical situations, etc.

It was a hella fun tour nevertheless :)

Oh my MVP would be Bubba Jr my Snorlax. Tanked Special attackers, hit like a truck and was very durable thanks to Rest. Except like I said before, I often got Focus Blast like 4x in a row without miss on him, dang.

B€ntley

Roll the Ice Dice
I had fun in the competition, but the 6 vs 6 format makes for long battles and because of that I just played 3 combats for a 3-0 record on the first day (in which I outplayed my competition, day 1 has the most byes as usual). Funny thing is, I actually bred a team of 6 for this but played the minimal amount of battles needed for the prize. Of course, I'm more of a doubles guy.

With that said, I faced three very different teams and some of them had surprising movesets. I was pressed by a Nasty Plot Persian (but managed to debuff it with Clear Smog before it got off the sweep) and Chlorophyll Vileplume. Thankfully my team was flexible enough to handle a variety of threats. I also want to issue a public apology to the Japanese player that I defeated by scoring five OHKO moves and a Self-destruct, even if his massive use of Minimize pointed towards some reliance on hax (I believe he ignored that Minimize doesn't interact with OHKO moves), I failed so many times that those PP Ups I used on Sheer Cold and Horn Drill were relevant.

The meta allowed for many different strategies and I wouldn't mind to mix it up with a different team sometime in the future.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
So I'm currently 10-10, havent played today yet. I am getting wreeeeecked by minimize clefable. I didnt even think about it and therefore neglected to bring taunt. but I am winning half my games, which is good in my eyes. especially for non EV/IV trained pokemon I threw together as an excuse to enter.

My chief winner has been dragonite (who is IV and EV trained). Most people think their jolteons are a good matchup, but I just earthquake them away. My Golem has been surprisingly helpful, setting up a stealth rock and getting away with doing it to water pokemon due to sturdy. I have only run into one rapid spin user so I get away with it mostly. Stealth rock one killed a charizard entirely for me (it took out half his like and for some reason he withdrew it) and then proceeded to finish off a weakened jolteon and gengar (all in the same match. it was amazing. 3-0 golem).

My most riveting match: all my pokemon fainted but my alakasam who proceeded to outspeed and annialate 5 pokemon in a row for the win. I was content. saved that on battle spot.

But yeah Im pretty average
I wish I'd seen more minimize clefable, I was up against one and let it set up totally, six cosmic powers and six minimizes, then switched into my psych up gengar, stole its stat boosts and killed it with a clear smogs, the guy forfeited right away afterwards. But I only battled one minimize clefairy so that didn't work out as often as I liked.

Theo-92

Managed to fit some more games in and finished with 20 wins to 4 losses. Most of my games where very enjoyable and their was a mix of stratergies going on even if a handful of pokemon where common sight. Fingers crossed for Nintendo to throw another one of these as I'm sure many would love to participate in one again, although a few changes would be nice (like banning OHKO moves).

Would have to say Jolteon was my MVP. Although it can't really switch into anything, he did his job and revenged when needed, crippled fatter mons on the switch with Toxic and kept Thunder wave from being a problem.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
Completed the tournament with 17 W - 3 L.

Greendetective

I actually like how some people strategized with ohko moves. My ditto transformed into an articuno that had that plus mindreader. Or using it on a pokemon that is just going to spam heal a thousand times (looking at you slowbro >.>). Also ohko is a really easy way to take out machamp(poor spiderpig never saw it coming). Though I agree the random ohko right off the bat can be ridiculous.

fire fan: yeah golems are extremely useful, I ditto hijacked a couple of them(attack first while they stealth rocked XD) and it took down a good portion of the enemy team.
cutty: There were sooooo many snorlaxes, I wish I brought one because it is extremely versatile.
aduro: I didn't see one minimize clefable. Even though I prepared for it lol
bently blair theo: It was crazy long sometimes. I was actually a little relieved when my winning streak ended because then I could play more casually lol I hope they change the schedule a little bit where it's not 10 matches a day XD Luckily for me I had those days off.

I also hope there is a johto match next month ^.^/ that would be awesome!