• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Kanto Classic

Will you be playing in the Kanto Classic?

• Total voters

Karxrida

Lost in the Waves
T-Wave Unaware Clefable for sweepers.

Taunt Gengar for Clefable.

B€ntley

Roll the Ice Dice
I find that Clefable is deceptibly easy to break through but also can sweep if unopposed. If you're having issues with it, Taunt him.

Non-stall teams can stop setup sweepers fine (Balance is a thing) in normal Singles, it's just the lack of items, any good priority users non named Dragonite, and emergency sweeper insurance like Prankster Thundurus make them super powerful.

Cloyster and Arcanine are good in the format and both carry good priority, Sucker Punch users are "ok". They just aren't S-rank material like Dragonite is.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
T-Wave Unaware Clefable for sweepers.

Taunt Gengar for Clefable.

It could run heal bell though and you do run the risk of your own gengar being paralysed, but I agree that the best way to handle clefable is its own shadow.

@Bentley do you mean an ESpeed Arcanine of a bulky one? Because in UU Arcanine can be a pretty nice wall with max spdef will-o-wisp, bulldoze and intimidate. Sucker punch nidoking is fun priority too.

Last edited:

B€ntley

Roll the Ice Dice
Yes, ESpeed Arcanine is specially useful against Dragon Dancers since it'll Intimidate, threaten them with Will O Wisp and deal damage with ESpeed if anything else fails (but actually Espeed is more useful against the likes of Alakazam).

I've also seen Fake Out users (mostly Persian, but Kanga can use Fake Out and compliment with Sucker Punch), stopping fast thread quite well. Those I wouldn't really describe as being solid in the meta, but their priority can put some heavy work (just like I wouldn't say Lapras with Ice Shard makes for a good priority user).

koosbane

master breeder
Speaking of lapras, I was looking at calculations and ice beam is a nearly ohko with stealth rock out on dragonite 0hp/0 sp def and thunder bolt is a guaranteed OHKO on gyarados. Neither of the aforementioned two pokemon can two 2HKO lapras (I don't think they can anyway) unboosted. A bulky lapras could be pretty nifty. Thoughts?

BugCatcher6

So I have kind of copied the current popular Kanto Classic Pokémon for my team.

Alakazam ;065;
Nature: Timid
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SP.ATK / 4 SP.DEF / 252 SPD
Move-set:
  • Protect
  • Encore
  • Disable
  • Psyshock
Just an annoying build. Disable and Encore then attack.

Aerodactyl ;142;
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 ATK / 252 SPD
Move-set:
  • Stealth Rock
  • Taunt
  • Rock Slide
  • Earthquake
Taunt to stop setup Pokémon and Stealth Rock if at the lead spot.

Nidoking ;064;
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 ATK / 252 SPD / 4 DEF
Move-set:
  • Sucker Punch
  • Poison Tail
  • Fire Punch
  • Ice Punch
I was going to go more defensive, but I figured hit hard. I am not sure if the special attacks for coverage would do any good since he is Adamant.

Clefable ;036;
Nature: Bold
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 DEF / 4 SPD
Move-set:
  • Minimize
  • Cosmic Power
  • Stored Power
  • Moonblast
One of the two basic Clefable builds. Minimize, Cosmic Power and then Stored Power spam.

Hitmonchan ;107;
Ability: Iron Fist
Nature : Adamant
Move-set:
  • Rapid Spin
  • Mach Punch
  • Bullet Punch
  • Ice Punch
I might switch Mach Bunch with Drain Punch. I know Machamp is the favorite for the Fighting type on a team, but I wanted the boost from Iron Fist.

I am stuck on what will be my 6th teammate. I was thinking of just beefing up with Dragonite. Weezing might be an option.

I did like Curse Snorlax in testing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
I'm not sure about encore disable Zam, the opponent is more likely to switch than use both moves, you might be better off with another attacking move, ie dazzling gleam. Dragonite or gengar might be best for the last mon.

BugCatcher6

I'm not sure about encore disable Zam, the opponent is more likely to switch than use both moves, you might be better off with another attacking move, ie dazzling gleam. Dragonite or gengar might be best for the last mon.

A switch does me no harm. If my Stealth Rocks are up then switching in and out constantly is not ideal.

The play set for Alakazam is Protect, then Disable, then Encore, and finally Psyshock.

In testing I have not had many people switch out. My only issues have been an opponent that saved Sucker Punch for my Psyshock turn, he knew the move-set and if Alakazam gets matched up against a faster Aerodactyl, Jolteon, Electrode, or a speed tie/coin flip Dugtrio.

jstinftw!

hey trainer

Encore+Disable Zam is actually like, one of the worst matchups for Clefable. It's pretty solid in this meta.

So I have kind of copied the current popular Kanto Classic Pokémon for my team.

Alakazam ;065;
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SP.ATK / 4 SP.DEF / 252 SPD
Move-set:
  • Protect
  • Encore
  • Disable
  • Psyshock
Just an annoying build. Disable and Encore then attack.

Aerodactyl ;142;
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 ATK / 252 SPD
Move-set:
  • Stealth Rock
  • Taunt
  • Rock Slide
  • Earthquake
Taunt to stop setup Pokémon and Stealth Rock if at the lead spot.

Nidoking ;064;
Ability: Sheer Force
Move-set:
  • Sucker Punch
  • Poison Tail
  • Fire Punch
  • Ice Punch
I was going to go more defensive, but I figured hit hard. I am not sure if the special attacks for coverage would do any good since he is Adamant.

Clefable ;036;
Nature: Bold
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 DEF / 4 SPD
Move-set:
  • Minimize
  • Cosmic Power
  • Stored Power
  • Moonblast
One of the two basic Clefable builds. Minimize, Cosmic Power and then Stored Power spam.

Hitmonchan ;107;
Ability: Iron Fist
Nature : Adamant
Move-set:
  • Rapid Spin
  • Mach Punch
  • Bullet Punch
  • Ice Punch
I might switch Mach Bunch with Drain Punch. I know Machamp is the favorite for the Fighting type on a team, but I wanted the boost from Iron Fist.

I am stuck on what will be my 6th teammate. I was thinking of just beefing up with Dragonite. Weezing might be an option.

I did like Curse Snorlax in testing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I actually tested a bunch with Hitmonchan, and I really think that Machamp is a better option here. Hitmonchan just can't take too many hits, thus it limits how long it can stay on the field. Granted, sure the Iron Fist boost is nice, and Rapid Spin, but your team isn't currently that weak to Rocks, and No Guard Machamp allows you to use things like Dynamic Punch, Stone Edge, and just might be able to get you out of a pinch in a Clefable v. Machamp situation.

BugCatcher6

Encore+Disable Zam is actually like, one of the worst matchups for Clefable. It's pretty solid in this meta.

I actually tested a bunch with Hitmonchan, and I really think that Machamp is a better option here. Hitmonchan just can't take too many hits, thus it limits how long it can stay on the field. Granted, sure the Iron Fist boost is nice, and Rapid Spin, but your team isn't currently that weak to Rocks, and No Guard Machamp allows you to use things like Dynamic Punch, Stone Edge, and just might be able to get you out of a pinch in a Clefable v. Machamp situation.

I like Machamp's bulk, but not his speed. I am using Hitmonchan more as my Snorlax counter. I feel like I still need a Rapid Spinner on my team.

No Guard Machamp 252 ATK Vs Bold 252 DEF/248 HP Clefable - Bullet Punch 21.8 - 26.8% / Dynamic Punch 20.8 - 24.3% / Stone Edge 27.8 - 32.8%

Iron Fist Hitmonchan 252 ATK Vs Bold 252 DEF/248 HP Clefable - Rapid Spin 5.4 - 6.4% / Drain Punch 15.9 - 18.9% / Ice Punch 21.3 - 25.3% / Bullet Punch 22.8 - 27.8%

Clefable Vs Machamp - Moonblast 62 - 74.8%

Clefable Vs Hitmonchan - Moonblast 76.8 - 91.2%

Machamp is slower. Both are 2HKO by unboosted Moonblast.

However, with SR damage Hitmonchan can OHKO Dragonite.

Ludakrix

Legen-waitforit-dary
Not at all. I just saw the blurb about it when I was looking at the Nintendo Direct I missed and decided to register. I've been furiously analyzing the meta, and I think I have a few things up my sleeve that are a bit original, but we'll see how it all goes.

koosbane

master breeder
Registration has now begun!!!

How ready are you guys for the competition?

Mostly I think, but I was in a rush trying to put a team together. I'm getting back into competitive having been gone for a year. Just hoping to be decent in this one.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
I'm finding I'm too busy to prepare well enough for this stuff lately, so I won't be playing after all. Battles will probably be very long though so that could be rough on my time as well. Be sure to share your experiences after battles though, I've seen some interesting discussion on stuff in this format and it'll be cool to see what actually worked out in this competition.

CyberBlaziken

A Greater Evil
So my friend's doing this but has zero ideas about Battle Competitions.

What happens to Pokemon that are under level 50, do they go up to 50 or stay the level they are?

Flamer

Registration has now begun!!!

How ready are you guys for the competition?

I was, although I've decided to drop Machamp from my team and replace it with Gengar, so need to quickly get her trained up this evening.

Also, this weekend's starting to look like quite a busy one, so having put all the effort into making a team I'm not sure I'm gonna have much time to actually compete, especially with the battles looking like they could go on for a while...

koosbane

master breeder
So my friend's doing this but has zero ideas about Battle Competitions.

What happens to Pokemon that are under level 50, do they go up to 50 or stay the level they are?

They will be leveled up, but it's really not that hard to get a pokemon to 50. Over or under they will be set to 50.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
Kinda down about this competition, I was planning to breed a purely physical Nidoking to pull off some surprise head smashes on things like dragonite and deal with calm mind clefables, but I couldn't find the time so I'm relying on an old tauros instead. On the other hand psych-up clear smog gengar can still be a nasty surprise.