• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The kids don't write the entries...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Sylveon Mastermind

Supreme Eeveelord.
I feel that a lot of people have the misconception that the protagonists (varying from ten to sixteen, because half of them don't look ten) do the writing of the Pokedex. Well, they're wrong. The Pokedex does the recording for you, and heck, it probably already has every Pokemon recorded and the protagonists have to just see them and catch them.
Tl; dr, ten year olds aren't writing the Pokedex.
If this doesn't fit here or has already been adressed then I apologize.

Ivoright

I am back! Probably.
Then why the inaccuracies? Whenever numbers or comparisons come into play, it is often exaggerated beyond the physical laws.
State the logic behind your argument.

Last edited:

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
Then why the inaccuracies? Whenever numbers or comparisons, it is often exaggerated beyond the physical laws.

Nintendo logic

/thread

Ok, not really. I kinda consider the Pokedex to be more logical in the anime, since the games can only cover so much, but hey, it's a game.

Sohryu

Be a Man!
Clink, my dear...
Because it's defective machine, which has contaminated other Pokédex; Reason why it has some "lol facts".
C'mon, he does make sense. I doubt children has wrote what is there. I too think it's the pokédex recording it for them.

And I am with CometStarlight!

The Sylveon Mastermind

Supreme Eeveelord.
Then why the inaccuracies? Whenever numbers or comparisons come into play, it is often exaggerated beyond the physical laws.

The Profs don't tell you tell write the facts; they say they automatically record the data. I know I shouldn't put anime or manga logic to game, but have you ever seen a child write in his or her Pokedex? Have you ever seen them do it in the game? Then no, they can't be doing the writing.
I even have quotes from the Profs, not including Sycamore, but he says the same thing.

Secondly, why in God's name would they send children who haven't finished (nor been, in Hareta and Ash's case) school to write information about creatures that would require a lot of scientific research to do so? Because I doubt they've been able cram all of that in a child's mind.

Last edited:

Buttons

Mountain Trainer
Is it completely impossible that the Pokedex itself makes junk up from simple observations and has no idea of physical laws? Like Oak said in generation one, 'the Pokedex automaticaly collects and records data on Pokemon you catch.'

It would explain some of the impossible Dex entries from different generations.

Grei

not the color
I feel that a lot of people have the misconception that the protagonists (varying from ten to sixteen, because half of them don't look ten) do the writing of the Pokedex. Well, they're wrong. The Pokedex does the recording for you, and heck, it probably already has every Pokemon recorded and the protagonists have to just see them and catch them.
Tl; dr, ten year olds aren't writing the Pokedex.
If this doesn't fit here or has already been adressed then I apologize.
Why would the Professor send you, a young boy or girl just starting out with Pokemon, on a quest to fill the Pokedex if the Pokedex is already filled? If the Pokedex was filled at the start of the game, there'd be no reason for anyone to entrust one to you in hopes that you'll complete it. Nor would there be any reason why a particular entry would be blank until you capture the Pokemon.

Nor would the game tell you "so-and-so's information was added to the Pokedex."

Maybe you aren't writing the entries, but they sure aren't there when you get the Pokedex. Otherwise, the plot of basically all of these games (except for Gold and Silver, maybe) is invalidated.

hen da man

The man...
Also, when they talk about the legendary Pokemon they don't actually know if a few of them exist, they think they are myths so they would not already have been pre-added into the Pokedex because they haven't encountered them before, yet, they are added in when you encounter them.

SuperSceptile

Sceptile is super!
My guess is simple, the Pokédex records data based on what it sees about the Pokémon. When a Pokémon is captured, it turns into some weird energy, the Pokédex analyzes that energy and finds information about the Pokémon it contains. There's probably some intelligent super computer in there that can analyze and find almost everything about the Pokémon. As for Magcargo . . . computer malfunction? Maybe it meant to say 1,800?

Sohryu

Be a Man!
Maybe the pokédex entries are mainly for funny trivia? Everyone know they are inaccurate, and GF keeps doing it. I think it's mainly for that.
I, personally, love to read the entries.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
This really doesn't need a thread. Also, since when do people believe that children write encyclopedias?

Status
Not open for further replies.