• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The kinds of RP features you enjoy the most

Avenger Angel

Warrior of Heaven
Just as the title says, what features of an RP attract you the most and usually drive you to join it? I figured this would be a great thread for those creating an RP to see what others are looking out for and as a place to grab some ideas.

For me, I like the idea of RPing anything besides a regular run-of-the-mill human, so anything where you RP a Pokemon or some other race of creatures seems like fun to try something different for a change. Also, an RP that features magic or superhero powers is a nice touch as well.

bronislav84

I <3 Catgirls
(Psst, don't threads need approval? I think that's just for RP Discussions though?)

Uh, as long as we're here I'd like to echo that I don't like normal human RPs that much either. I like things that wouldn't happen in real life to happen in RPs because I find real life boring, so RL sims I usually don't show interest in except if there's a "super" element.

I also tend to make RPs based on known, or at least easily Google-d/Wiki-d settings. An RP I make usually falls into a genre, so even if people Google it and think what it's based on is meh, they can still have fun because either I explain what it's based on or the base isn't super important. I haven't done a 100% original RP since well, ever.

My biggest turnoff is an RP where the GM is completely in control of the story and players just react to what's being narrated by the GM. It's not really a recipe for disaster, but usually if the GM has no ideas this kind of RP just dies.

Corrosion

Hello Kitty =/= Cat
(I don't know; I think it said that ONLY threads for individual RPs needed approval, but I could be misreading the rules.)

I share the sentiment that RPs with only humans in them, as in humans that cannot use magic, can be quite boring. It's one thing if they're surrounded by the magical, but if there are no elements of the supernatural it gets..uh. I'm simply not interested. I like being the one who can use magic, not having to run from it (having absolutely *no* power can be fun, if I want a chase scene or something, but that usually needs more initiative on the part of the chaser.)

I think that the biggest turn-off is a foggy goal or unclear rules. If we're just left to our own devices without interacting with each, then it becomes boring very quickly. On the flip side, having 5+ players in one space quickly becomes unmanageable. I guess that if we get good instruction that otherwise leaves us to react to each other, then I like it.

Tangeh

^I avoid RPs with poorly established goals as well. Generic wolf pack or high school for gifted RPs ain't gonna interest me. Gifteds training to overcome some sort of goal, though? I'm sold. I get confused easily though and won't join anything that I don't understand right off the bat. I tried once because the GM in question I knew was good and I figured I'd pick it up as we went along. Had to drop out of it... >_> So I tend to avoid RPs set in a world with advanced technologies, or any setting that I can't immediately grasp.

I also don't like having to publicly keep track of stats/ inventories / pokemon moves etc. Too much work. You seriously want me to list at the end of every post that my character has a backpack with half a bottle of water, two granola bars, a slightly singed map, a photo of their mother...? If it was important for other players to know that, then it would have been mentioned in my post. Otherwise if I have any sort of inventory, it should be listed as its being packed and then only mentioned when important. IMO.

I like character limits, at least in the beginning, so that I don't get confused by that one person who has three trainers with a full team of six nicknamed pokemon each. >_>

I like RPs with a "good vs evil" theme where you can play both sides if you want to! I love playing the bad guy. :3

...and in a perfect world I'd only join semi-literate or literate level RPs (advanced is way too much work for me lol) with players who have the decency to polish their spelling and grammar and follow rules. :<

My biggest turnoff is an RP where the GM is completely in control of the story and players just react to what's being narrated by the GM. It's not really a recipe for disaster, but usually if the GM has no ideas this kind of RP just dies.

I was in an RP a couple of years ago where the GM controlled essentially all of the plot and it worked really well. The GM in question was exceptionally active, which allowed the RP to roll at a pace of 4ish pages of posts per day even though many of the players weren't very experienced. It works well in a situation like that, when you're working with inexperienced RPers who may not know how to help lead a plot and the GM is very good and willing to listen to inputs. But if the GM is inactive, you'll be lucky to get past the introduction posts without everyone losing interest, but that kinda goes for every RP. Also if they're dead-set on their plot and won't take any advice, that's no fun!

bronislav84

I <3 Catgirls
Tang I literally meant the kind of GM in your last sentence. Most GMs aren't dead set and do take advice. There are some touch and go things though, where you don't know how much input the GM will have. Like at one point they're running story events all the time and nobody can move without them and the next they're like, here's a mission.

Definitely need goals though and don't like inventories either.

RaZoR LeAf

Night Terror
I think that the biggest turn-off is a foggy goal or unclear rules. If we're just left to our own devices without interacting with each, then it becomes boring very quickly. On the flip side, having 5+ players in one space quickly becomes unmanageable. I guess that if we get good instruction that otherwise leaves us to react to each other, then I like it.

I completely agree with this. One of my biggest, possibly THE biggest pet peeve I have with RPGing is some peoples need to flock together, so everyones post is more conversation than actual role play. You've spent all this time making a character, but your posts consist of talking about someone else.

I like an RPG with freedom to go off and do your own thing without someone instinctively bumping into you around a corner. This happens all to often if your the GM/a mod/both, people assume that being in contact with them gives them an insight into the plot.

Billy Mays

Ace Advertiser
I agree that I don't really like it when people flock together in a RP. It's frustrating having to keep track what everyone says and its overall a lot less interesting. This can easily be fixed of course by either the game having a small group of people to start with, or not everyone is always together. Heck, I've seen RPs where it seemed like the group WOULD split up once things got rolling, but everyone having to be grouped together for the introduction killed it before it could even really start.

Personally, I think I can be ok with there not necessarily being an obvious goal in a RP, so long as MY character has a goal. An overarching goal is easier and probably better overall, but as long as my character has his/her own goals to pursue, then its not as much of an issue. Good vs Evil RPs are fun to play because you get to work against people on the other side, but I'm liable to just play either heroes, anti-villains, or sometimes anti-heroes. I don't really like playing full on evil.

As for what RPs I like... I don't know. I tend to be experimental with what kind of RPs I'm willing to try. Honestly, I think WHO is running the game is more important than WHAT the RP is about (most of the time). If the GM is good, I may join on that alone. A good GM and a cool setting? I definitely want to join then. RPs of franchises that I like of course are going to be something I'll want to join. Pokemon RPs, playing as trainers, as Pokemon, or especially as something like a Gijinka, are fairly interesting but ironically (considering this is a Pokemon forum) I don't get to RP them much. RPs with neat alternate races other than humans are pretty cool too...and I'm pretty much a sucker for playing robots/androids/cyborgs/etc. If playing a robot is possible, it's almost definitely going to catch my interest.

Schade

Metallic Wonder
When it comes to RP-ing, I agree that a lot of player makes it difficult to manage the RP, like one I am currently in, which seems to have died before even taking off. I ilke it when there is a main story with several small 'quests' of sorts that enable character development and conversation between players.

Monster Guy

Fairy type Trainer
The number one thing I want from an RP, is interesting character interactions. At the end of the day, isn't that what RPing is all about? :p

I also don't like having to publicly keep track of stats/ inventories / pokemon moves etc. Too much work. You seriously want me to list at the end of every post that my character has a backpack with half a bottle of water, two granola bars, a slightly singed map, a photo of their mother...? If it was important for other players to know that, then it would have been mentioned in my post. Otherwise if I have any sort of inventory, it should be listed as its being packed and then only mentioned when important. IMO.

OMG, YES THIS! I hate when we're required to list inventories. I'm the type that likes to pull stuff out of a bag for the sake of comedy, (for example, make-up and compact mirrors on more vain characters.) Having to list every single item they might be carrying around with them at that moment is a pain. I also hate when things rely on arbitrary game mechanics too. (Just because my Pokemon learned Flamethrower, doesn't mean it forgot how to Tackle... :/)

Last edited:

Avenger Angel

Warrior of Heaven
I totally agree on the big problem that gets caused when too many characters end up together. That almost always kills an RP because when you have that many characters in one place, they are often reluctant to move and get on with the story. And it often just diminishes into a character chat until people get bored of it.

Also, I'm surprised that most people disliked the idea behind inventories, which I tried to incorporate in one of my more recent RPs called Derelict. I thought it would add a nice survival-feel to it if players had to manage their resources, money, and health carefully, but it seems most people are in agreement that kind of stat-tracking isn't preferred.

Titan500

Solar Panels
An RPG that's pretty open. Where players can do their own for a bit and join up if necessary.

Not too open though. Then no interaction occurs.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
I've noticed that inventories are hated (and I try not to require it unless actually necessary now)... however in their defense, they have a place in survival and realistic RPGs (as GM, I've had people suddenly own overly convenient items from time to time, which is why I sometimes require them). And all you have to do is cut and paste if there's been no update.

What I like best in an RPG is a magical or super element that takes it away from real life. Fantasy, historic, and futuristic (we don't get a lot of that one) settings are best.

I agree that GM is important, some people naturally tend to run better RPGs, or stress out the players. I don't like overly GM controlled RPGs, but sometimes I'm too lax when GMing. Another turn off is keeping track of exact time, especially when there's multiple time zones. People start posting different times or stop updating the time and everything falls apart. 'Morning' should be a good enough indication of time.

bronislav84

I <3 Catgirls
I agree with what Angel and Vampire are saying. Generally haven't seen anything I've disagreed with yet.

Avenger Angel

Warrior of Heaven
Another turn off is keeping track of exact time, especially when there's multiple time zones. People start posting different times or stop updating the time and everything falls apart. 'Morning' should be a good enough indication of time.

Definitely this. Anything time-related in an RP is bound to cause problems considering the advancement of time is always speeding up and slowing down the way it does in any story. And if you're basing RP events on real time, that's just as chaotic.

And on top of that, time travel causes a lot of problems also. Only if everyone travels together (a problem in itself), coordinating how events may change the past/present/future with how other RPers are in them is bound to cause conflicts.