• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Lack of Kalos Pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.

SerenaForTheWin

Yusarin >_<
the only reason why there are few pokemon in kalos i think it has to do with the mega evolution pokemons since its a new process of evolution that many people will give notice

There's the move to the 3DS, which includes having to make actual 3D models for over 700 Pokémon, the sheer amount of content and playability in the game, Mega evolutions, etc. Plus, they're one of the only regions that includes Pokémon that are native to many different regions. Too many would be overwhelming.

Hidden Power

I will just say the same thing here that I always say on this matter:

... we do not really need more than 100 new Pokémon every time that a new generation rolls around anymore. Looking at it prior to Gen VI, there were 649 perfectly usable Pokémon, with all manner of type combinations, stat spreads, movepool distributions, etc. So why oversaturate the pool of Pokémon when we have more than more than enough to choose from? If you ran a convenience store, and you had 70 loaves of bread in stock, and only needed to keep about 120 on hand, you would not order 150 more loaves - you would probably order about 50 or 60.

Plus, by introducing fewer Pokémon at a time, they can conserve other potential Pokémon concepts for use in later generations, and do not have to spill it all at once.

I admire the enthusiasm of those who wanted more than 72 new Pokémon, and I can understand their disappointment even if I do not share it, but Game Freak is, first and foremost, a business. They have to pay attention to these sorts of things. Hence, it is wise of them to try to find a balance between "economic and beneficial to the company" and "fan-pleasing and enjoyable."

Additionally more Pokémon = more models that they have to animate, and they already have to do multiple animations for well over 700 different variants of Pokémon.

Perhaps you're thinking in terms of practical usage of each Pokemon, but that's only one point to consider. It's precisely the fact that Pokemon Company is a business that there's a need to recreate a functional ecosystem and keep each region fresh (whether it's new Pokemon or new evolutions), so that fans would actually want to buy their 'new' games despite every game reviewer harping on the point that they 'failed to break the mold'.

With abilities and move pools coming into play I feel that there's still a lot of room for permutation. One thing great about Gen VI is how Game Freak has demonstrated that retconing of old Pokemon abilities and stats isn't out of the question now, so with some fine-tuning nearly every Pokemon can be unique/useful. Even if there's some overlapping here and there, I don't think that it's a good reason to not come up with a new Pokemon. Charizard's outclassed by Ho-oh in every single stat barring a 10 point advantage in Speed (and there's no abilities back in Gen II), but I doubt anyone would mind the existence of both Pokemon. In fact, I think great artwork alone is more than sufficient to bring a Pokemon idea to life and drive its popularity among fans.

castlewars

Chesnaught=Bowser
OK, so we know that Ken Sugimori had artist's block when trying to design Xerneas, Yveltal and Zygarde, so he enlisted the help of his co-workers to complete the designs.

I'm sure that this principle applies to the others as well. Sugimori might have had artist's block with them and/or is running short of ideas. However, the problem is that the same Pokemon designs are recycled over and over again and new blood for Pokemon hasn't been considered. Like, we don't have a Pokemon based on the goose or even the peacock.

Sunset Star

The DS Gamer
The lack of Pokémon itself didn't bother me much. What genuinely bothered me how the only cross-gen regular evolution was Sylveon the Eeveelution. I can't be the only person who thinks there are too many Eeveelutions now, right?

sunny phoenix

The lack of Pokémon itself didn't bother me much. What genuinely bothered me how the only cross-gen regular evolution was Sylveon the Eeveelution. I can't be the only person who thinks there are too many Eeveelutions now, right?

if pokemon continues most likely we will have one eeveelution for every type....
they chose to introduce an eeveelution in order to promote the fairy type.... they knew that the new type will cause controversy that why the chose the most fan favorite pokemon eevee.... i know from the forum that there are people who agree with u but the majority pretty much loves and wants more eeveelutions...

Last edited:

Gampi

ガンピ
I don't really mind the lack of new Pokémon, so I'm in the minority here.

To admit, I think it's funny when the fans go into denial and say things like "therez more but htye gonna be dlc!!!!1!!1!11!" and "just wait 4 Z!!!111!".

Harmonie

♫ Ad vivere
I wasn't bothered at all by the 'small' number of new Pokemon. It was really only small relative to the number added in past generations.

The only thing that was flawed IMO was the distribution of them throughout the game and how low of a chance you had of running into some of them. I missed out on many new Pokemon playing through the game solely because I didn't even run into them when I spent time in the route.

Like, I didn't even run into an Inkay until post-game.

Sohryu

Be a Man!

What's the problem? Eevee is supposed to be the "Evolution Pokémon". Stopping giving him more evolutions wouldn't make any sense, specially when it's said he evolves depending on its environment.

Mintt

one word. fairies.
69 pfft

To be honest it doesn't really matter to me. The only problem that it poses for me is the fact that fans are so controversial about. Either its the fan trying to defend it, or the fans complaining about it.

and there's those idiots that only like the first gen //sigh

CGS

Shadow Lucario
69 pfft

To be honest it doesn't really matter to me. The only problem that it poses for me is the fact that fans are so controversial about. Either its the fan trying to defend it, or the fans complaining about it.

and there's those idiots that only like the first gen //sigh

Which means either way you look at it, it won't change. You have 2 sides to every story, but sometimes both are wrong or 1 is right and the other won't accept it. We can talk all we won't but, game freak isn't listening to our ideas. It's all about there ideas.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
I'd rather have GameFreak put only their best designs and best work into a game than try to fill it with some needless schlockmons in an attempt to hit some arbitrary threshold.

OK, so we know that Ken Sugimori had artist's block when trying to design Xerneas, Yveltal and Zygarde, so he enlisted the help of his co-workers to complete the designs.

I'm sure that this principle applies to the others as well. Sugimori might have had artist's block with them and/or is running short of ideas.

Sugimori isn't the only Pokemon designer working for GameFreak; he's part of a team. He has final approval over the designs, but doesn't create every design himself.

candycanecat

Lord of Bacon
I think they dropped the new Pokemon count simply because of the sheer overwhelming amount of legendaries alone we got in gens 4-5. They introduced a new type and a new type of evolution which I feel was the perfect amount of new 'mon content this gen. Not to mention the Kalos Dex is HUGE. The point was probably to have a diverse mix of old and new Pokemon and adding too many new ones would take away from all the cool features that are in the games, from things as simple as bench sitting and items you can get from wild encounters to big things like the graphics, Pokemon Amie and Super Training. We're at 700 something now and 69-73 or so new Pokemon is more than enough with everything else that was added.

swampertlover5712

True Love Never Dies
Just my two cents, but I'm fine with the amount we got this time. Hell, I'm glad we're still getting new games and Pokemon. I think the smaller number is, as it already has been stated, due to the number we already have. If it only were just the 69 obtainable in the game, without previous generations mixed in like they are, then there might be an issue. But I like what we have, and I'd rather this batch be like it is, as opposed to some of last generation's stars. *coughGarbodorcough*

Afrodisiac

break up w yo gf, im bored
I'm perfectly fine with it. Gen VI provided a nice selection of Pokémon both design-wise and competitive-wise (bar Dedenne & maybe Carbink). I loved the release of more normal-type Pokémon with a secondary type like Heliolisk, Diggersby & Pyroar. Also, there's some nice non-legendary, non-"pseudo-legendary" dragons (Dragalge, Tyrantrum, Noivern). I hated that Dragon-type Pokémon were mostly legendaries or pseudos bar 5 families (Kingdra, Flygon, Altaria, Druddigon & Haxorus).. not even a full team. Same with the focus on Ghost types like Gourgeist, Trevenant & Aegislash.

Also, Gen V was the gen of Bug, Dark & Steel, so I understand the lack of those types this time around and appreciate what's changed. Esp. the lack of Water & Normal types.

Last edited:

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
The way the developers undoubtedly see it, and the way I see it is that, even though it's a new feature and they have the same dex number, Mega Evolutions are in essence a new Pokémon.

Think about it:
Brand new designs
New types, stats, abilities

As such, when you add the 30 Mega Evolutions to the 71 new Pokémon, you get 101, which is just above Gen 2 in the amount of Pokémon.

Now I know they technically don't count, but they definitely factored into the developmental and design process as well as working out balance as new Pokémon.

shinyclauncher1234

the shinyclauncher12
I think that MOST of the poke moms designs make up for the lack of the pokemon,and the shinies (awesome this gen)

Also make up for the lack,I mean a brown and white dedenne? Who'd of thought of that!

I feel like this Gen's designs were way better than some previous ones. I also feel like that every gen 6 Pokémon looks like it was made for 3D, as all of them look good in it. I can't say the same for previous gen Pokémon, as some of them just don't fit with 3D (Metagross, Swampert, and Stunfisk to name a few), but others look amazing in 3D, such as Conkeldurr.

To answer the question, no, I'm not disappointed that we only have 69 (lol) new Pokémon. Plus, taking into account mega evolutions and the Pumpkaboo/Goirgeist forms (yes, they are different aside from looks), it equates to over a hundred.

mudkip

do you like mudkips?
If we count mega evolutions as actual pokemon (which we should, they would take as much dev time as say, mamoswine or yanmega) then that leaves us with over 90, include unreleased mega pokemon and the 3 event pokemon we probibly have over 100, more than jhoto,

Also quality over quantity

Status
Not open for further replies.