• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Lack of Kalos Pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.

phanpycross

God-king
The way you're wording this implies there was a point in time when this was not confirmed. It's been a given since day one that actual new, Dex-expanding Pokémon come only with the new Generations.

That aside, it's not a given that Megas are all we'll get. The existence of Hoopa's new form confirms that the concept of forms isn't being wholly replaced with Megas, so there's a possibility of seeing them, too.

I guess, so maybe Volcanion could get a new forme in a potential sequel.

Also, I cant find the interview, but I think one of the producers said something about not really having a plan for an XY sequel, which would make XY the shortest generation to date.

BCVM22

Not at all, because that isn't remotely the sort of thing they would tell you in a public interview.

It was for one of the recent games - Black and White maybe? - that one of the higher ups did an interview, and because Black and White hadn't even come out yet at the time, he said something like "we aren't focused on the next game in the series yet". Most depressingly, some people actually took that to mean there would be no further games in the series, which is just some incredible brain work if you think about it.

My point, and I do have one, is never bother repeating the answers they give regarding future games because the answers never will be or can be truly honest.

SparklingMistral

The #1 Remus Lupin f
I think it was a bit disappointing to have so few new Pokemon, but at least they did give us new Pokemon, so I can't complain too much. I think they just focused more on the Mega Evolution feature, & that sorta made up for the lack of new Pokemon.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I think it was a bit disappointing to have so few new Pokemon, but at least they did give us new Pokemon, so I can't complain too much. I think they just focused more on the Mega Evolution feature, & that sorta made up for the lack of new Pokemon.

I would've preferred more Kalos Pokemon in place of those Megas tbh. I wasn't that upset by how few new Pokemon we got in Gen 6, but I was certainly underwhelmed overall.

EmphaticPikachu

A tired little girl~
I actually prefer this tbh, so I don't complain. Fewer pokemon means that they can focus on the stuff they have and incorporate old pokemon as well, and the mega evolutions giving increasing amounts of options to previous pokemon makes it favorable to me.

Still, I can sort of understand why people would be upset by it if they enjoyed those new designs, and thats completely fine.

EspNeon

Badge Collector
Playing the Devils Advocate here a little bit, but, it seems better in my opinion to have fewer Kalos native Pokemon and feature Pokemon returning from previous generations such as Charmander/Squirtle/Bulbasaur as gifts or the Elemental Monkeys in the wild in Santalune Forest. It seemed more appropriate in that on a 'goal' to fill the Pokedex, there was acknowledgement of Pokemon that were 'discovered' in far off regions. Plus it ties in nicely to the referencing of old games such as Blue's smell ya later etc.

Although, I can see why people are upset. The release was exceptional.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Playing the Devils Advocate here a little bit, but, it seems better in my opinion to have fewer Kalos native Pokemon and feature Pokemon returning from previous generations such as Charmander/Squirtle/Bulbasaur as gifts or the Elemental Monkeys in the wild in Santalune Forest. It seemed more appropriate in that on a 'goal' to fill the Pokedex, there was acknowledgement of Pokemon that were 'discovered' in far off regions. Plus it ties in nicely to the referencing of old games such as Blue's smell ya later etc.

I was personally hyped about X/Y because of the idea of catching tons of new Pokemon. If I wanted to catch tons of Gen 1-5 Pokemon, I'd play previous games tbh.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder

You can do that without limiting the number of Pokemon though.

I think as far as dex size and distribution, the ideal regional dex would have new Pokemon make up at least 40-50% and have at least 5-6 nonlegendary families per type. Based on these two conditions, we can work out that the dex size should be around 200-350 and there should be between 80-150 new Pokemon per generation.

Dex size: 5-6 families per type ≈ 10-18 Pokemon per type x 18 types = 180-324 Pokemon per type + 6-10 legendaries = 186-334. Now the dexes are never this equally distributed so there's a little bit of room for error and we can round this out to 200-350.

Number of new Pokemon: 200-350 Pokemon in the regional dex x 40-50% = 80-175. However, it's unlikely that any regional dex will have more than 150ish Pokemon because they seem to want to make less Pokemon now and because they probably want Kanto to stand out more by having more Pokemon than anything else (and while Unova did have more, I don't think they'll repeat that).

So yeah, I don't think they should make less than 80 Pokemon per gen in the future.

Princess Sapphire

Master Expert
I personally am greatly disappointed in the number of new Pokémon. I mean, look at the generation pattern.

150, 100, 135, 107, 156, 72

There has never been less than 100, and that's how it truly should be. 100 is the absolute minimum. To me, the Megas are nothing but glorified Forme changes. It's evolution that isn't permanent, which means they do not count as 'new' Pokémon.

My theory? They will have the "Pokémon Z" of the generation, whatever that turns out to be, and they will introduce more Pokémon that are genuinely new, maybe a few more Megas, and some more actual evolution connections, so Sylveon doesn't have to be the only tie to the older Pokémon. The reason there are more older Pokémon in the Dex, isn't just t balance it out. I feel that certain Pokémon are in the Dex, because they either have a Mega Evolution, or they are Pokémon with potential for an evolution connection

It'd be a first to spread out the Pokémon among the games, but it'd work. Reveal and release the slow way, so that, by the time they're ready to begin Gen 7, Gen 6 will be complete and have 100+ Pokémon, as it should, to maintain the pattern.

Sure, there's still Hoopa and Volcanion, but that's normal to reveal the "hidden" legendries with each movie. But they also still need to give Zygarde a movie. So I figure, by that time, they will be promoting "Pokémon Z" and hopefully introduce more new Pokémon along with it, and maybe even an alternate Forme for Zygarde

Over the years of me being a dedicated Poké addict I've kinda developed a knack for predicting things like this, and most of the time, I am proven right

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
I personally am greatly disappointed in the number of new Pokémon. I mean, look at the generation pattern.

150, 100, 135, 107, 156, 72

Or, maybe stop looking at it like some vague "pattern" that Game Freak must obey as if it were a sacred law. Generations are built individually, and therefore the number of Pokémon that are introduced in one is determined on a case-by-case basis. In BW, the goal was to recreate the aesthetic of the Kanto games while featuring none of the Pokémon. Hence, we got 150 to make up for the lack of available old Pokémon, with many of them sharing design and/or playability concepts *with* those old Pokémon. In GS, the idea was for the Johto games to be a sort of coda to the Kanto games, as the two regions neighbored each other. Thus, Johto already used many Pokémon from Kanto's roster, and even several of the new Pokémon had ties to the old ones (although that was partially because many of them had already been designed and were meant to have been included in RGB), so there wasn't as much of a need for completely *new* Pokémon. In that same vein, for XY they decided to direct some of their effort toward introducing Mega Evolutions instead, and to compensate for that, gave the games a regional roster larger than any before it, with over 400 different Pokémon available in-game.

The fact that only 69 of those 400+ Pokémon were new also illustrates an important point - there are a ton of Pokémon already. Perfectly usable Pokémon, with plenty of varied type and stat and movepool distributions. Realistically, we plain and simply do not need as many new Pokémon as we used to. If you have twenty loaves of bread, and you only need five, why go to the store to buy five entirely new loaves instead of using five of the twenty that are already available to you?

There has never been less than 100, and that's how it truly should be. 100 is the absolute minimum. To me, the Megas are nothing but glorified Forme changes. It's evolution that isn't permanent, which means they do not count as 'new' Pokémon.

So does this come in factual flavor, or is there opinion only?

You do not determine the "absolute minimum" of new Pokémon introduced. Game-making circumstances and efficient business decisions do. If they have no impetus to include more than 100 new Pokémon, then it does not matter if that abides by your arbitrary quota. Furthermore, it does not matter what criteria you use to determine whether or not Mega Evolutions "count" as new Pokémon. From a game-design perspective, they most certainly *are*. There is absolutely no net difference between designing a new Pokémon and designing a new Mega Evolution. All of the considerations are the same - aesthetic design, type/stat/movepool distribution, availability in relation to the rest of the gameplay, and so on. Designing Mega Evolutions requires the same amount of work as designing new Pokémon does, so to the people who make the games, why should it matter whether or not you "count" Mega Evolutions as actual Pokémon?

Last edited:

BCVM22

Over the years of me being a dedicated Poké addict I've kinda developed a knack for predicting things like this, and most of the time, I am proven right

The post above me already successfully refuted most of your flawed points, but I just wanted to say this is a fantastic way to end a post.

It won't end up an accurate way to end your post, but that doesn't make it any less fantastic. It may actually make it more fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.