• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Lack of Kalos Pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chibi_Muffin

Smart Cookie
Alright, I don't want to keep this debate up, it's kind of pointless.

All I'm going to say is that the type distribution for Kalos 'when taken with the other generations' is fine, and it works well to supplement types that in other gens may not be as plentiful. When taken on its own, however, I personally found it disappointing because types such as Water specifically had pretty much no Pokemon that I wanted and could put on my team, since I only wanted to use the new Pokemon. And even then, it wasn't a massive issue to me since I ended up with a diverse team in the end even if it didn't include the types I wanted. In other words, if you're only using new Pokemon, you're more likely to be disappointed in Kalos than someone who wants to use the old ones as well. My point wasn't necessarily that the lack of certain types was a crippling flaw with Kalos, but that the lack of Pokemon in types where they are usually plentiful (particularly in the case of Bug where the only line fills a particular role rather than something unique) could cause an effect of there seemingly being less Pokemon overall.

Hexin' Wishes

Diva Extraordinaire
By personal rule, I only use new Pokémon per generation (main games at least because the remakes take me back to that Gen). While I was initially disappointed at the low number, I felt good at being able to have only two Pokémon that didn't get to be on my team as opposed to the usual three-five that don't make the cut. Basically, once going through the campaign, the low number didn't bother me.

And to add to Hidden Power's post, the Mega Evolutions are also not counted as new Pokémon because the Pokédex itself doesn't recognize them as new Pokémon. That seems like pretty good criteria to consider them as formes.

Mitja

Veteran smartass
Er...no, that's not true. The first "proper" Flying-type was Tornadus in B/W - it was a pure Flying-type.

Sorry, I thought my reasons for excluding him would be obvious. Not just a legendary, but also part of trio that have the same design basis (which makes him worse as an example of what a Flying type is supposed to look).

So basically what I meant is a Pokemon that you can point to as an example of that type.

Not that Noivern makes it much more clear (since its just one line) than pointing to any of the Normal/Flying birds (which only cause confusion as with the Normal type in front, we have no idea whether the "Normal" is supposed to be more prominent, or whether the Flying type isn't prominent enough to jsutify primary type), but with it being added, I am now confident that casual primary Flying types aren't unrealistisc, so to say.
All I want now is for them to make another more plain one, preferably with 3 stages and no secondary type at all, but we shall see o:

Last edited:

BCVM22

I'm calling dips on gen 6.5 Pokemon that'll debut in Pokemon Z or similar.

Despite them not being in X/Y, and we would know if they were there. Yes, yes, the next response will be"3DS games can be patched". That this is accurate doesn't mean that it's anything more than the latest pipe dream from the fandom that builds houses upon them. The three event Pokémon are hidden in X/Y - if there are more rank-and-file Pokémon ahead in this generation, why aren't they in there too?

No, there are very likely not "gen 6.5 Pokemon that'll debut in Pokemon Z or similar" ahead.

Last edited:

The Hiker king

Non Sequitur
Personally I think the lack of new pokemon was made up for by the sheer number of pokemon available for team building prior to the elite four. Which was what, 440ish? I'm confused as to why 69 new pokemon are too few while 150+ are too many. I guess most pokemon fans want ~100 new pokemon with each new generation because they have been introducing about that many with each new generation.

Xerneltal

Sonic aficionado
I find the amount of Pokemon pretty reasonable. While I do agree what one person said about there being not much type diversity, I feel that introducing the Mega-Evos kinda made up for it. Besides, just think of how much time went into making and animating all those Pokemon models, environments, moves, etc.

JoPeGame

I think the lack of new pokemon is good thing. The National Dex gets easier to complete, there's less trade to do. Also, I'm kind of happy 'cause there's only 3 legendaries

phanpycross

God-king
The lack of new Pokemon was slightly disappointing for me but it at least meant there is fewer Pokemon that would never be used and less legendaries is a good thing. I'm sure the whole mega-evolution thing was there was of adding more to the Pokedex

i agree, Kalos was very well done, in the that no pokemon was better than another in every way, like for example Kanto.

EDIT: except for dedenne, but at least he was cute.

Last edited:

fitzy909

Just another guy
I think the lack of new pokemon is good thing. The National Dex gets easier to complete, there's less trade to do. Also, I'm kind of happy 'cause there's only 3 legendaries

Well we do know that there are at least 3 event legendaries, but still with less of them they feel more unique and more well....legendary. I felt like they were becoming just like any other pokemon, but more powerful, especially in BW2, but not now.

Ruas

I did initially feel the lack of Kalos pokemons when building my own team, but that's because I place many crazy restrictions on myself. Apart from using new pokemon, I also prefer to use unique ones that aren't too popular in-game. I try not to use signature pokemon of any important in-game character (champ, elite 4, gym leaders, villain, rival). This time I was left with very little to work with. In the end I did use some "special" pokemons in my team, but still, I'm not going to complain about it, nor hope that they bring more pokemons in Z or whatever is coming next. The existing ones are enjoyable. Now they just need to focus on the story & characters and of course bring more fun & challenging post-game material.

entaicat

Banned
I felt the exact same way about there only being 69 new Pokemon with the release of the Kalos region, but I kinda feel like Nintendo is going to some what make it up, and start giving us dlc and all that good stuff, like the Poke Bank that has yet to come. It still feels weird to think about Pokemon having DLC lol

pokemonmaster99325

pokemon master!!!!
I don't really mind that much how many Pokemon but kind of disappointing compared to the other regions however its a bit more easier to catch them all. Well from the kalos region anyway...

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
I'm not gonna lie, I am a bit disappointed with the low number of new Pokémon.

Not only does it make the roster feel lacking but for those who want to do a run with solely new Pokémon, your options are extremely limited. Like if you wanted a Ground type, your ONLY options are Diggersby and Zygarde (and this is a legendary that only appeared post-game) so it's either them or none at all. The typings are also all over the place. There is only ONE new Bug and Poison type line and about five Dragon lines (and this is supposed to be that rare type) which complicates things. I also generally like to see the ideas GameFreak come up with so this also makes me feel "69? That's it?!"

However, I do think the quality over quantity argument does work here a little, as there are very few Pokémon I don't like this time round.

Saturnidae

Bugs!! :3
I have to agree with Akanjao here. The Black and White series brought too many new pokemon and people were upset. Now the XY series brings less people are still upset. If they gave us too many pokemon they would have run out of ideas honestly. Does Vanillite, Kling Klang and Scrafty ring a bell. All three of these Pokemon look like little design went into them and before you dare say "Muk has a bad design too and so does Electrode!" Those are two pokemon in the kanto region. I can name you over 10 pokemon like Garbador, and Bibarel (Brought into DP) that were bad. I am just saying, the more pokemon, the less intelligent the design is going to be.

But beuaty is in the eye of the beholder O-o I actually think vanilite and klink lines were well designed, actually vanilite was really creative in general. Some people enjoy things like that! There are also those who can't stand pokemon like blaziken, and charizard.. having alot of pokemon just means that there's something for everybody :p

Bush Clown

Lucario Boy
well, it does seem that the release of Kalos Pokemon are quite small.
though, for me it doesn't matter too much. :D

ace-of-aces

Minecraft YouTuber
It kinda bugs me, but then again, it does make catching all of them much easier, because I have them all, within the first few days of playing....

I'm not bothered with the low number of Pokemon this generation.
That just makes it that much easier to catch all of them, assuming you have both X and Y

I'm also not bothered with Charizard getting two mega-evos, either. Probably because I'm not a raging Charizard fanboy/girl.

Mr. Ribbles

Cubchoo Lover
I honestly don't care. Kalos' pokemon impressed me much MUCH more than Unova (Barring my favorite pokemon, Cubchoo.) and Kanto. As the old saying goes, 'Quality Over Quantity'.

For example, look at Mr. Mime, then look at Alakazam. Mr. Mime. Alakazam. You see my point here? Pidgeot. Fearow. Pidgeot. Fearow.

Now look at Kalos' pokemon roster and tell me with a straight face that one pokemon in the Kalos dex is inferior to another in the Kalos dex. This (of course) only goes for the (Give or take.) 79 pokemon we got this gen not including Mega Evolutions (For obvious reasons.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.