• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Lack of Kalos Pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hexin' Wishes

Diva Extraordinaire
Anyways, I do agree they're all quite good (though some could be better, ex: Trevenant & Noivern) but is that not just proportional anyways? If you're going to have around 100 new Pokémon, you're bound to get some duds. Maybe this time quality control was of the utmost importance.

Last edited:

Hidden Power

I honestly don't care. Kalos' pokemon impressed me much MUCH more than Unova (Barring my favorite pokemon, Cubchoo.) and Kanto. As the old saying goes, 'Quality Over Quantity'.

For example, look at Mr. Mime, then look at Alakazam. Mr. Mime. Alakazam. You see my point here? Pidgeot. Crobat. Pidgeot. Crobat.

Now look at Kalos' pokemon roster and tell me with a straight face that one pokemon in the Kalos dex is inferior to another in the Kalos dex. This (of course) only goes for the (Give or take.) 79 pokemon we got this gen not including Mega Evolutions (For obvious reasons.)

Are you talking about design, or viability in battles?

Mr. Ribbles

Cubchoo Lover
Crobat isn't even from the same Gen as Pidgeot.

Anyways, I do agree they're all quite good (though some could be better, ex: Trevenant & Noivern) but is that not just proportional anyways? If you're going to have around 100 new Pokémon, you're bound to get some duds. Maybe this time quality control was

My apologies! For some reason I thought Crobat was a gen 1. Just imagine I said Fearow or something.

Are you talking about design, or viability in battles?

Versatility in battles, mainly. What kind of moves does Fearow have that differentiate him from Pidgeot? Mr Mime. From Alakazam? Tangela from Victreebel? And this is just from Kanto. I'm sure I can say stuff about the other regions, but I just can't find anything like that with Kalos.

Hidden Power

Versatility in battles, mainly. What kind of moves does Fearow have that differentiate him from Pidgeot? Mr Mime. From Alakazam? Tangela from Victreebel? And this is just from Kanto. I'm sure I can say stuff about the other regions, but I just can't find anything like that with Kalos.

To answer your question, Mr Mime is usually found using a baton passing set in NU tier alongside Pokemon like Glaceon, Volbeat and Masquerain in a Baton Pass chain. Tangela functions mostly as an eviolite wall, while Victreebel with Chorophyll ability is used in lower tier sun teams.

Of course, all this is competitive battling that I'm talking about. It's kinda pointless to talk about in-game battle versability/viability when any Pokemon (barring the most gimmicky ones) can help you beat the game fairly easily. It is true that two Pokemon serving similar roles may be found in the same game, such as Pidgeot and Fearow during their introduction. But the two are not interchangeable to me simply because I like Pigeot's elegant design over Fearow's somewhat intimidating, ruthless look. And I've mentioned earlier that I don't believe that increased quantity directly correlates to decreased design quality.

Considering this is the 6th time Game Freak is doing this, I'll be surprised if they didn't at least improve from past experience with prior generations. You're looking at a generation that is very willing to dish out decent abilities to many Pokemon: Prankster, Gale Wing, Protean, Huge Power, Adaptability to name a few, some of which can easily elevate a Pokemon by one or two tiers. You're also looking at the same generation that did a better job at distributing stats point for most Pokemon so that there's fewer points that end up as deadweight.

Game Freak even go as far as to retcon the stats of older Pokemon, even though it was still a half-hearted attempt in the end.

Last edited:

bolter1

Swampert Trainer
Of course with less Pokemon there're going to be less Pokemon that are competing for the same niches, but there is Sylveon and Florges. Florges and Sylveon are in almost direct competition for the same niche: Wish/Cleric. Sylveon outclasses Florges in almost every way because of it's better HP (increasing its overall bulk and allowing it use Wish better) and slightly better movepool (Shadow Ball gives it some coverage and Psyshock lets it hit Special walls on the physical side if it needs to). The only thing Florges had over Sylveon was that it can legally have Aromatherapy in Pre-Bank, while Sylveon couldn't have Heal Bell since it has to learn it as Eevee from a Tutor in B2/W2, and Florges possibly has a niche advantage in Doubles because of it's abilities. True, though, that almost all the other Kalos Pokemon, if not all the others, don't have any other Kalos Pokemon that is meant to fill the same role as it which helps differentiate them and allow them to shine in a purely Kalos setting.

zozo

SLIMED!
Personally, I don't mind that Kalos introduced less Pokemon. We've already had a gen where absolutely no old Pokemon showed up until post game in the first two games, and that was fun in its own way. It was nice to have to re-learn everything all over again.

In this game, however, I felt that everything got an update, whether it was superficial (merely transitioning the Pokemon to 3D and refining their cries), or not (MEGA PINSIR!!!!!! :D), and this made all the old Pokemon feel fresh and new again. With them alongside the native Kalos Pokemon, I honestly felt spoiled for choice in terms of trying something "new". Using Aerodactyl felt every bit as new to me as using Goodra not only because I'd never really used one in previous generations, but also because the thing got turned into an absolute killer with Mega evolution. Using Venusaur, even apart from its mega evolution, was a new experience too because now with the new Kalos Pokemon, moves, and abilities, it seemed like there was a ton of new strategies to try that I had never thought of before. There's so many Pokemon I want to try, both new and old, because they all have something new to offer.

The net result is that I, personally, don't feel that there's any lack of "new" Pokemon. Even though only 60-some-odd of them are truly new (i.e., not mega-evolutions or otherwise related to previously existing Pokemon), the amount of content in the game more than makes up for it to the point where I don't notice that there aren't many Kalos Pokemon until someone points it out to me. x)

Dragonair7

Feelin' the heat?
I loved almost all of the new pokemon, but i always try to first make a team using pokemon only of that region. I still did this time, but it was difficult. My team ended up being:
Delphox
Talonflame
Florges
Goodra
Dragalgae
Noivern
Not exactly a well balanced team. When just playing through a game, i generally just pick pokemon by design and type, nothing too important. i felt like there were too few to choose from. Also, the number made per types was very lopsided in my mind
3 bug types
5 dark
9 dragons?!! How is this okay. there are starting to be way too many dragon types
3 electric
12 fairies (understandable, necessary, and appreciated)
4 fighting
7 fire
8 flying
7 ghost
9 grass
2 ground (afterthought, anyone?)
4 ice (comparable to what we have had in previous gens. this was always a skimpy type in my opinion)
8 normal
2 poison (another normally secondary type, IMO)
5 psychic
7 rock
4 steel (another type that there are very few pokemon of. 4:69 might actually be a higher ratio than in some other gens)
8 water (thankfully this wasn't a waterlogged region)

phanpycross

God-king
I loved almost all of the new pokemon, but i always try to first make a team using pokemon only of that region. I still did this time, but it was difficult. My team ended up being:
Delphox
Talonflame
Florges
Goodra
Dragalgae
Noivern
Not exactly a well balanced team. When just playing through a game, i generally just pick pokemon by design and type, nothing too important. i felt like there were too few to choose from. Also, the number made per types was very lopsided in my mind
3 bug types
5 dark
9 dragons?!! How is this okay. there are starting to be way too many dragon types
3 electric
12 fairies (understandable, necessary, and appreciated)
4 fighting
7 fire
8 flying
7 ghost
9 grass
2 ground (afterthought, anyone?)
4 ice (comparable to what we have had in previous gens. this was always a skimpy type in my opinion)
8 normal
2 poison (another normally secondary type, IMO)
5 psychic
7 rock
4 steel (another type that there are very few pokemon of. 4:69 might actually be a higher ratio than in some other gens)
8 water (thankfully this wasn't a waterlogged region)

I do agree that ground seemed like an afterthorght, and so did the pointless secondary normal types (why is gogoat pure grass, while heliolisk is part normal, makes no sense).

Atlidevil

Game Hoarder
Yeah I am a bit disappointed with the small size. On the upside though I feel like the Kalos pokemon are very memorable. I've been playing since the 1st gen and have loved every generation since but Johto pokemon are very forgettable and there are only 100 of them. Very few are competitively viable (Those who are viable are very strong ironically, Tyranitar, Scizor, Heracross and Blissey for example).
Also just find it shocking at how few legends there are. We got 3. The main trio. Plus those other 3 but we know next to nothing about them. This is so shocking because the past games have had more and more legends each generation. Last one had like two trios, one quartet and two independent ones.
I really hope GameFreak makes up in the third version/sequels.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
69 Is a reasonable amount on a competitive perspective, as that's way less Pokes they gotta throw in NU, thankfully most Kalos Pokemon aren't that bad. In fact most aren't falling under UU which is really good for this gen!
The amount of megas is another good reason if you count them as actual Pokemon and not forms.

Watchog

Lv. 50
Doesn't feel like a new game at all. I'm talking about pokemon. First patch of grass, Ta-Dah! pidgey, Not what i expect from a brand new generation. You think oh.. It's just a pidgey i bet there's a bunch of new pokemon on the way, NOPE, Only miles and miles of older pokemon, It's even rare to find a 6th gen pokemon at times. Maybe this is why i didn't like this gen? Along with the fact that out of those 69 you can't get the exclusives, You can't get 3 legendaries, And some of them evolve by trading etc. making this gen notoriously small.

AegiSwag

Okay so as many of you may know, Kalos only gave us 69 new pokemon, and personally im not to crazy about it, to me it feels like gen 6 so far is really feeling like its the gen to get all the genwunners back, "oh look 2 mega charizards" and it feels like kalos is suffering for it.

But hey maybe im wrong, what do you guys think.

Yes, but I felt it was needed. Lots of pokemon already. And the ones that were introduced are goddamn awesome. Think yveltal, sugared, xerneas, aegislash and that beastly good rua. Though I am a strong supporter of aegislash.

Watchog

Lv. 50
The game is notoriously lackluster, As far as 6th gen pokemon go, You can't argue with that.

There are way more old pokemon within x & y than there are new.

1:16

I'm a Christian
It's a combination of the old (mega-evolutions) and the new (the 69 Kalos Pokemon). The creators had to model and script the 3D movements of every Pokemon that had existed so far. Most of the Kalos Pokemon look good and fight good (and usually do good). In fact, several of them already have innovative aspects (takes Furfrou's many trims, for example).

Although it's not always the case, less Pokemon means more time to think about how the Pokemon will be in the end. Granted, X and Y are the first games to have the "full 3D" graphics implemented, but still.

Mr.FusRoDah

I'm okay with the small batch of good quality Pokémon. I enjoy showing Gourgeist, Tyrantrum, Trevenant, and Noivern to Genwunners and saying "Hahahahahaha, what's this business about bad designs in Pokémon past the first 151?" because let's face it - some of these new species have the best designs GameFreak has ever cranked out, and I can't even say a single new species sucks in battle.

Hidden Power

I'm okay with the small batch of good quality Pokémon. I enjoy showing Gourgeist, Tyrantrum, Trevenant, and Noivern to Genwunners and saying "Hahahahahaha, what's this business about bad designs in Pokémon past the first 151?" because let's face it - some of these new species have the best designs GameFreak has ever cranked out, and I can't even say a single new species sucks in battle.

I don't even know if you're being sarcastic or serious.

Battle-wise, we did gain some decent additions since Game Freak seems more inclined to give better abilities and stats spread to Pokemon. But if you think those people who're way past the intended age group of Pokemon are going to regret not getting in on the hype again after looking at these Pokemon artwork, you're way off. Design is a subjective matter; I personally don't think any of these Pokemon is grossly superior to those in Gen I, or any other Gen for that matter.

Mr.FusRoDah

I did find Noivern to be a cooler looking bat than Golbat though.
Gen 1 has some awesome classics, and preference of a design is all relative to what someone likes, but personally speaking, Noivern is what I consider the coolest looking bat Pokémon ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.