• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Lack of Kalos Pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think peeps need to bear in mind that the shift from 2.5D to 3D models for over 600 Pokémon would require a LOT of work, etc. so it's understandable that in the big shift to true 3D there would be less focus on new 'mons and more on getting the new world-feel, etc. right.

I'm sure now that the models for all the current Pokémon have been finessed and tweaked for XY, the next Generation will release a larger number of new Pokémon to play with.

thunder2910

Loves pizza
People complain that there were too many pokemon and it was getting harder to "catch em' all"
Now GF did a bit less, perhaps to allow us to "catch em all"
And then people complain with the lack, make up your minds!

Glaive

Mew/Mewtwo Lover
Kalos is my favourite region I just get the sense that a lot of time and effort went into the design of the new Pokemon hence the small size of the Kalos deck, I literally like every Pokemon in it, whilst other regions just make me think "Why is this a Pokemon".

Horn of Valmar

The Power of Justice
I like all the pokemon of the kalos region, except for Hawlucha (I just don't like the design) and the Helioptile/Heliolisk evolution. It's animations look so weird and clunky that I just can't use one

Zyon

NUM NUM NUM
People might have complained about the lack new Pokemon in Kalos, but if they took a little a time they would see it's not much different from Gen II, IV.
I'm referring to the pattern that the Pokemon games basically follow by adding a crap ton of new Pokemon in one Gen, then the next Gen they don't add a whole lot of brand new Pokemon but we also get pre-evo/Evo from past Pokemon. However with Kalos it's still the same but instead of pre-evo/Evo we received Mega-Evolutions.

Gen I= 151 Pokemon.
Gen II= 100 new Pokemon. 17 were pre-evo/Evo from Gen I. We received 83 brand new Pokemon.
Gen III= 135 new Pokemon. An yes while we did receive the pre-evo Wynaut and Azurill that's still 133 brand new Pokemon.
Gen IV= 107 new Pokemon. 27 were pre-evo/Evo from Gen I-III. We received 80 brand new Pokemon.
Gen V= 156 new Pokemon. Just like Gen I their all brand new.
Gen VI= 70 new Pokekmon. However if you count Mega Evolutions that's an extra 30.

Comparing Kalos with Sinnoh, and Johto on how many brand new Pokemon were introduce, it's only a difference of 10-13 Pokemon. Yes Kalos has introduced the lowest amount however I don't see much of a difference since it's still following the pattern.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
People might have complained about the lack new Pokemon in Kalos, but if they took a little a time they would see it's not much different from Gen II, IV.
I'm referring to the pattern that the Pokemon games basically follow by adding a crap ton of new Pokemon in one Gen, then the next Gen they don't add a whole lot of brand new Pokemon but we also get pre-evo/Evo from past Pokemon. However with Kalos it's still the same but instead of pre-evo/Evo we received Mega-Evolutions.

Gen I= 151 Pokemon.
Gen II= 100 new Pokemon. 17 were pre-evo/Evo from Gen I. We received 83 brand new Pokemon.
Gen III= 135 new Pokemon. An yes while we did receive the pre-evo Wynaut and Azurill that's still 133 brand new Pokemon.
Gen IV= 107 new Pokemon. 27 were pre-evo/Evo from Gen I-III. We received 80 brand new Pokemon.
Gen V= 156 new Pokemon. Just like Gen I their all brand new.
Gen VI= 70 new Pokekmon. However if you count Mega Evolutions that's an extra 30.

Comparing Kalos with Sinnoh, and Johto on how many brand new Pokemon were introduce, it's only a difference of 10-13 Pokemon. Yes Kalos has introduced the lowest amount however I don't see much of a difference since it's still following the pattern.

Gen VI actually introduced 72, including Hoopa and Volcanion.

Hexin' Wishes

Diva Extraordinaire

I don't understand the logic of people who count them. If Mega Evolutions count, surely all alternate formes with stat changes would count as a new Pokémon thus increasing the number of "introduced" Pokémon for III, IV and V as well.

Last edited:

Delphox

Maybe they left us with less Pokémon this gen because: one, not enough space on the cart to fit any more; two, like you said, to cater to genwunners; or three, to not oversaturate the already-impressively-large catalogue of Pokémon we have currently. 69 is a funny number, though. :p

LuckySeven

Lucky Lucario
It's pretty refreshing having something new. I think having megas adding to the list of new pokemon was acceptable. This choice actually was a nice change of the meta overall than just adding new pokemon. Idk I like new mechanics over new pokemon imo since I already have 6 pokemon from previous gens that are my favorites that make a good team.

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
I don't understand the logic of people who count them. If Mega Evolutions count, surely all alternate formes with stat changes would count as a new Pokémon thus increasing the number of "introduced" Pokémon for III, IV and V as well.

This is correct. Formes never counted as a separate species

In my opinion, this little amount of Pokémon has more value to me because I can appreciate each of them in the first viewing of all of them.
Unlike generation V, this generation really felt like it was trying to connect all of the past generations in this game, something I felt genIV did as well.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member

In my opinion, this little amount of Pokémon has more value to me because I can appreciate each of them in the first viewing of all of them.
Unlike generation V, this generation really felt like it was trying to connect all of the past generations in this game, something I felt genIV did as well.

You really wouldn't feel much connection to past generations. Gen 5 was meant as a "fresh start", that's why people had different reactions to the game.

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin

Mega Evolutions aren't forms though. Typically, forms just shuffle things. These add it considerably. They went through the exact same process of creation: Conceptual design (unlike most forms, there's significant differences in most), stat balance, type balance, ability balance, balance based on movepool.

They really are essentially new, un-numbered, Pokémon. They count in my eyes.

Hexin' Wishes

Diva Extraordinaire
All that considered, they still don't in mine simply for the fact they're not registered in the 'dex as their own entity. It's hard for me to consider something as a not a forme when it acts the same as any other forme, the difference being that the "MEGA evolution" label is why they have the whole stats/type/etc. balance (also, I don't think the new abilities they give some of them are that good IMHO).

I'd also argue that the Megas run the same gamut in terms of conceptual design difference: from not that much (Ex: Mega Venusaur/Blastoise & the forms of Deoxys/Giratina) to completely re-worked (Ex: Mega Banette/Gengar & Therian formes of the Forces of Nature/Shaymin).

But to each their own, they don't add anything to the Pokédex any way different to other formes but that's simply my justification.

bolter1

Swampert Trainer
All that considered, they still don't in mine simply for the fact they're not registered in the 'dex as their own entity. It's hard for me to consider something as a not a forme when it acts the same as any other forme, the difference being that the "MEGA evolution" label is why they have the whole stats/type/etc. balance (also, I don't think the new abilities they give some of them are that good IMHO).

I'd also argue that the Megas run the same gamut in terms of conceptual design difference: from not that much (Ex: Mega Venusaur/Blastoise & the forms of Deoxys/Giratina) to completely re-worked (Ex: Mega Banette/Gengar & Therian formes of the Forces of Nature/Shaymin).

But to each their own, they don't add anything to the Pokédex any way different to other formes but that's simply my justification.
I agree. Something else is that MegaEvolutions do not exist outside of battle, but formes do. How can MegaEvolutions be counted as new Pokemon and formes not when MegaEvos exist only half the time while formes exist all the time? Rotom's formes match and exceed all that MegaTyranitar and MegaAbomasnow changed from their respective non-Megas, so why are they counted as new Pokemon but not the Rotom formes? The two Megas have the same ability (ok, not the same as the HA, but who uses those for them?), same type, same moves as their non-Megas, but have increased stats, different/exaggerated design. Rotom's formes have the same ability, different types, increased stats, a new move, and new design. Plus, the formes can exist outside of battle. How are they not considered to be new Pokemon if MegaEvos are? They're pretty much are MegaEvos without the MegaStone.

CMD Calcio

L'Amore per Sempre
I definitely agree they didn't add that many new Pokes to this generation. I'm wondering how much of that has to do with inserting the new Fairy type or working Mega Evos into the game. I guess that sounds trivial, but...

Anyways, I won't complain about the lack of new Pokes since they added Goodra!

ArtFenix

The number of Kalos pokemon while lacking is passable. What makes it disappointing is not the quantity of the new mons but the quality of quite a few of them. That and the number of legendary pokemon. The event legendaties are passable, but not great, IMO. Maybe only Volcanion is cool but I've yet to see it in action.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
They at least had enough for me to make a "all Kalos Pokemon team" both times I played X and Y. I do agree that the numbers were short this time around. Very short. But if you count the Mega Pokemon...it's still pretty short. I suspect when a new Gen 6 game comes out Mega's will become more common. Like how with Diamond and Pearl, you didn't see many of the new evolutions. But when Platinum came, they were more common.

I have no problem with the lack in these games. You have to look at it as a game designer. If you want the games to continue, you have to shorten a list some where. It just so happen to be the Pokemon in the games.

c1234

Trainer Since '98
It doesn't matter that there are so few new Kalos Pokémon. The Pokémon from Gen1 etc make up for it. Kalos is a beautiful place, and I enjoy being able to use my favorite Pokémon from my childhood in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.