• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Lack of Kalos Pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.

neophenx

Pokemon Strategist
I feel like some of the pokemon lack some creativity.. I mean I love Klefki but his entire design is kind of lame. Maybe its just is description that throws me off but eh.. A few more have the same feeling to me though not in this gen a lone but most of them besides the gen 1 guys. Since I was pretty young when those came out they all have some nostalgic value to me.

Well as long as you acknowledge that there's a little nostalgia-bias going on, I can excuse that. Sure, people are miffed about a keyring Pokemon and the ice cream cone, but we can never forget that gen1 gave us Grimer and Voltorb. Every generation has its good and bad, as everything comes with a "hit or miss" possibility. It's just how it goes. I've actually found that even though people may complain about the design, they can still become some of the biggest contenders. Scarfed ice cream cones and the Prankster+Swagger+Foul Play keys either have caught on, or are catching on in some competitive formats.

Nightshade Aran

Hydreigon Summoner
They have nostalgic value to me too, but even then some of the designs of pokemon from that generation are lame as well not to mention look horrible (Chansey comes to mind), he's an egg carrying an egg, which people can eat...
But like you and Neo said, every gen has had things that just are silly designs. (Garbodor... he's literally trash)
A matter of keeping an open mindand not letting the nostalgia keep you from potential useful pokemon even if they look silly by design

Speaking of early game pokemon, Diggersby is pretty awesome as well. Although I'm also wondering, what's up with all the normal hybrids?

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Speaking of early game pokemon, Diggersby is pretty awesome as well. Although I'm also wondering, what's up with all the normal hybrids?

I'm guessing it just for purposes of giving us new type combos. Also, the Normal type is not really paired much with other types (apart from Flying).

gliscor&yanmega

I'm pretty sure they took Mega Evolutions into account while deciding how many to add this generation, for the most part the Mega Evolutions all have kind of designs you'd expect from actual evolutions. I believe with the Mega Evolutions and Event Legendary Pokemon the total is somewhere around 100 which keeps with the number trend of being higher on the odd number Generations and lower on the even number Generations.

I was shocked and a little disappointed, but regardless the case there's still 72 new Pokemon, and that is plenty. There's 32 lines of Pokemon(Excluding Legendary, 38 with them), and that would be more then enough to build a team out of if you only wanted a team of 6 generation 6 Pokemon which obviously not everyone wanted or did.

Gamefreak probably did want to try and grab back those who left because really Pokemon is something anyone can love so long as you don't overreact to the things you don't like(Which obviously can't be said about everyone). Nostalgia isn't really anything new to franchises and Pokemon can probably benefit greatly from it most of all.

The only thing with the number of Generation 6 Pokemon is that they don't add much for the overall types. Three Bug types all in the same line, two Ground types, two Ice types both in the same line, probably a few other cases of it too. But again, Mega Evolutions were probably taken into consideration for this.

Overall, I'm fine with it. There's still plenty to choose from, and they still managed to give out at least one fully evolved Pokemon for each type(And if you include Mega Evolution; which there's really no reason you shouldn't, then it's just more).

Looking back to the start of the game to now, i'm not as irked about the lack of pokemon this generation as i was a while back. I mean, don't get me wrong, i think 10-20 more pokemon probably would've been more appropriate, yet i really like some of the pokemon that this generation has produced.

sheerioxo

I would have REALLY liked about fifteen more Pokemon. I agree with all of the designs being amazing except for one; Delphox. God, I hate it's design. Fennekin had such potential.

I would have REALLY liked about fifteen more Pokemon. I agree with all of the designs being amazing except for one; Delphox. God, I hate it's design. Fennekin had such potential.
I'm sort of indifferent about delphox. The aesthetics definitely make it look like a fire/psychic hybrid to me. The only beef i have with that pokemon is the name, mainly because i don't think people have a full grasp on its origin. When comparing Delphox's name to the two other starters of gen vi it feels like Game Freak's dubbing department kind of loafed around. I'd argue that Blaixen's design was the one that killed that evolution chain for me. The parachute pants legs were a big turnoff.

BCVM22

Game Freak doesn't have a "dubbing department."

Why does it matter if people "don't have a full grasp on its origin"? The name makes fine sense, and if someone cares enough to want to know, they'll look it up, won't they?

thetamale

There are, I think, 32 fully evolved non-legendary pure Normal types, that's more than any other type so they probably wanted to add some diversity.

I think the quantity of Kalos Pokemon is too low, I don't count mega form changes as new Pokemon and it's a gimmick I hate, but the quality of the new additions outshines Unova.

Pilpulp

美的
I think the quantity of Kalos Pokemon is too low, I don't count mega form changes as new Pokemon and it's a gimmick I hate, but the quality of the new additions outshines Unova.

I was severely disappointed hearing the leaks before the game came out. However, after playing, I personally don't really think the quantity was too low. Had I not enjoyed the games, maybe that opinion would be different but I did, and this was because all of the different Pokemon you could catch. I hope they move on from only being able to catch a Bagon/Deino/Axew/etc... at the last cave in the last route. It was way more enjoyable having an awesome team, with awesome pokemon so early on. I know these Pokemon were only incorporated because of the lack of new Pokemon, but I honestly hope, in future generations, despite if they add more or less Pokemon to new gens, they keep it the way X & Y had it in terms of Pokemon distribution in-game. As you said the quality was also great for these 6th gen'ers so thats nothing to complain about.

All in all, to me the amount of new ones really didn't affect gameplay at all for me. Maybe it's just that you guys wanted to see more new Pokemon, for the sake of having more new Pokemon, I don't know, but in my opinion game freak did it right.

**However, I can say I am severely disappointed at the amount of legendaries and I was never one to complain about having too many.

As far as mega's go, I'm fine with them, they gave life to old, forgotten Pokemon (some at least). However, new prevos or evos would have been good too. Which I don't see why they only did it for Sylveon.

Last edited:

x-sayrie-x

I have to admit, I was a little iffy about the low amount of new Pokemon at first. I come from generations that added easily 150+, so 73(ish) seemed like too little.

But then I actually got to playing the game, and, well, there were no lack of choices. At first I planned to build a Kalos-exclusive in-game team, but I actually struggled trying to decide who I wanted and balancing weaknesses with the new gen VI 'mons. There were too many that I wanted to use and not enough space, so in the end I went for a mixed bag.

I suppose what I'm trying to say here is that the 70-or-so we got is enough in the long run. Besides, at least this way the Pokedex isn't so much of a pain to complete XD

Grei

not the color
Yeah, the only thing this region makes difficult is a Kalos-only team... I think of XY as a direct zigzag away from BW. I personally really loved how Unova initially did not have any old Pokemon, but it seems a lot of people didn't appreciate that. Seemingly in response, for Gen VI, GF introduced a small amount of new Pokemon and placed them in a region alongside a ton of the older Pokemon. In Unova, you had no choice but to see the Gen V Pokemon as a generation separate from the ones before it, but in XY, GF makes it really difficult to see the new additions as a separate generation. They made it feel more like an addition to the current menagerie; with Mega Evolutions running around and a dex that's primarily older Pokemon, it seems GF wants players to use old Pokemon in their teams.

Also, I sort of see the Mega Evolutions as 6th Gen Pokemon (in reality they sort of don't belong to any specific generation), so when you factor in those additions, 6th Gen did introduce about 100 new Pokemon. Still, I would not be surprised if they released thirty or forty more Pokemon midway through the Generation.

Pilpulp

美的
Also, I sort of see the Mega Evolutions as 6th Gen Pokemon (in reality they sort of don't belong to any specific generation), so when you factor in those additions, 6th Gen did introduce about 100 new Pokemon. Still, I would not be surprised if they released thirty or forty more Pokemon midway through the Generation.

I don't see them adding more actual, separate, new Pokemon, through the duration of this generation. However more mega evolutions is pretty much 100% confirmed with Latiosite and Latiasite. I definitely predict more megas in future games this generation.

Have new Pokemon been added in mid gen before (Not forms, completely new pokemon)? How would that work with compatibility?

BCVM22

However more mega evolutions is pretty much 100% confirmed with Latiosite and Latiasite. I definitely predict more megas in future games this generation.

Again we come back to the lack of logic that goes with this, though. If there are more coming, why aren't they already programmed in for compatibility purposes, and conversely, why would they purposely make future compatibility more complicated than it needs to be by not doing so?

Have new Pokemon been added in mid gen before (Not forms, completely new pokemon)?

Never.

How would that work with compatibility?

It wouldn't, really.

Last edited:

PMG

Pokemon Master Gaz
Again we come back to the lack of logic that goes with this, though. If there are more coming, why aren't they already programmed in for compatibility purposes, and conversely, why would they purposely make future compatibility more complicated than it needs to be by not doing so?

there are patches they can do - with the 3DS and the games being able to be patched they may have held off on adding these Mega evolutions/new pokemon so fans couldn't search the data for them and they wouldn't be revealed - the ones that where revealed are events that im guessing are meant for these games.

also lets not forget that even if they added more mega evolutions into the next game they don't need to be added to X and Y look at Rotom, Shaymin and Giritina they all got new forms in Platinum but if you battled with Diamond or Pearl the new form wasn't visible to those games but the stats still stayed boosted by the form it was in.

Grei

not the color

Is it not even faintly possible that GF plans to distribute Latiosite and Latiaslite before the release of the third version, and that they purposely left out any hypothetical additional Pokemon to avoid spoiling them? By now GF must know that Pokemon games get quickly hacked. A big reveal like that would be a lot to spoil.

I know that's assuming a lot, but I don't see it as far-fetched. GF isn't dumb, after all.

BCVM22

Is it not even faintly possible that GF plans to distribute Latiosite and Latiaslite before the release of the third version, and that they purposely left out any hypothetical additional Pokemon to avoid spoiling them? By now GF must know that Pokemon games get quickly hacked. A big reveal like that would be a lot to spoil.

I know that's assuming a lot, but I don't see it as far-fetched. GF isn't dumb, after all.

Which still doesn't address, from a technical standpoint, why they would put in Mega Latios/Latias but not others. Again, why would they needlessly overcomplicate future compatibility for themselves in that fashion?

And if they're as intent on keeping us in the dark as you say - a valid point in and of itself - then why include Mega Latios/Latias in the first place? If they know the games get hacked quickly (and they probably do have at least some idea), then why include Mega Latios/Latias at all? Why not just include them in whatever future potential method of adding content to the games after-market that all of these theories are dependent upon?

Again, the logic - as best we can discern it from ground level, here - just doesn't hold up.

there are patches they can do - with the 3DS and the games being able to be patched they may have held off on adding these Mega evolutions/new pokemon so fans couldn't search the data for them and they wouldn't be revealed - the ones that where revealed are events that im guessing are meant for these games.

Despite everyone who is in a position to make that decision being on public record - written, spoken, recorded and everything - as saying this will not be the case.

also lets not forget that even if they added more mega evolutions into the next game they don't need to be added to X and Y look at Rotom, Shaymin and Giritina they all got new forms in Platinum but if you battled with Diamond or Pearl the new form wasn't visible to those games but the stats still stayed boosted by the form it was in.

Mega Evolutions are considerably more involved than simple forme changes, though.

Last edited:

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.

And they had stated that they would not Patch XY to include new game-affecting content.

I'm pretty sure everyone is keeping this in mind currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.