• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Lack of Kalos Pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ammako

I think it would be pretty cool if they made new games, in new regions, with new mechanics, new features, etc., except that there wouldn't be any new Pokémon, they would be choosing several Pokémon from the 6 Gens. and making a different regional Pokédex out of those.
That way they could focus more on the other features rather than spending time thinking of new Pokémon to create.

Also, if they keep making more Pokémon, then eventually there will be 1000, 2000, then filling up the National Pokédex would be even more of a pain.

Akashin

Kalos may have not introduced many Pokemon, but there are a lot of new mechanics, like megas, 3D graphics, fairy, etc. which are also new ideas.
And I'm pretty sure Game Freak is running out of ideas, since there were already 649 Pokemon before Kalos.

What does the number of Pokemon have to do with whether or not they're out of ideas? Seeing as they have since added another 72 Pokemon to that previous total, I'd argue that we have 72 pieces of evidence to indicate that they are not out of ideas.

I think it would be pretty cool if they made new games, in new regions, with new mechanics, new features, etc., except that there wouldn't be any new Pokémon, they would be choosing several Pokémon from the 6 Gens. and making a different regional Pokédex out of those.
That way they could focus more on the other features rather than spending time thinking of new Pokémon to create.

Also, if they keep making more Pokémon, then eventually there will be 1000, 2000, then filling up the National Pokédex would be even more of a pain.

I don't know about future games with no new Pokemon, but future games maintaining Gen VI's lower tally doesn't bother me.

Orphalesion

Yeah....NO.

Pokemon is about variety so I would sure as heck not buy a new game without any new pokemon. I see no point in playing with the same ones over and over and over again.

Also, why bother filling the National Dex? I haven't filled it since Gen 2, so I really hope that some day we'll have 2000 pokemon.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
Pokemon is about variety so I would sure as heck not buy a new game without any new pokemon. I see no point in playing with the same ones over and over and over again.

Uhhhhh maybe 'cause the old ones are still completely and perfectly viable and have plenty to offer? You don't buy a new pair of scissors if you've only used your current ones once.

Also, why bother filling the National Dex? I haven't filled it since Gen 2, so I really hope that some day we'll have 2000 pokemon.

Shiny Charm?

And that sexy diploma.

BCVM22

Uhhhhh maybe 'cause the old ones are still completely and perfectly viable and have plenty to offer? You don't buy a new pair of scissors if you've only used your current ones once.

Which doesn't really have anything to do with anything. From the very first step, the concept of new monsters in every generation has been an indefatigable staple of the franchise. It's as much a part of Pokémon as are the myriad staples of a Mario or a Zelda title. There's simply no rationale or logic that would justify a new generation of games that don't introduce new Pokémon.

Ammako

On the other hand, one could not possibly use "it has always been that way" as a rational argument in order to justify why it should remain that way; turns out it's a logical fallacy.

Last edited:

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
Which doesn't really have anything to do with anything. From the very first step, the concept of new monsters in every generation has been an indefatigable staple of the franchise. It's as much a part of Pokémon as are the myriad staples of a Mario or a Zelda title. There's simply no rationale or logic that would justify a new generation of games that don't introduce new Pokémon.

I wasn't suggesting that there should or even could be a new Generation with no new Pokémon. I was questioning the logic that there is "no point in playing with the same ones over and over and over again."

Nyarlathotep

Eldritch Abomination
There is no such thing as a "lack of Kalos Pokémon". 70+ new monsters (+ megas) for a new generation is plenty of enough and if the directors of the series care one bit about it, they will never introduce 100~150 Pokémon in a new generation again.

Ammako

Maybe, but so far the lowest amount of Pokémon introduced in a new Gen. was 100 in G2. Afterwards, G3 introduced 135, G4 107, G5 156 (I'm not going to count G1 since they weren't really adding to the list of currently existing Pokémon back then.)

Going from 156 new Pokémon in G5 down to ~70 new ones in G6 feels like a huge step down for many. Personally, I liked making teams that contained only Pokémon from that Gen., but the lower amount of G6 Pokémon didn't really give me a lot of space to work with. Kinda like in Diamond/Pearl, where the only Fire-type Pokémon you could get were Infernape and Rapidash. :p

gamer_legend

Maybe, but so far the lowest amount of Pokémon introduced in a new Gen. was 100 in G2. Afterwards, G3 introduced 135, G4 107, G5 156 (I'm not going to count G1 since they weren't really adding to the list of currently existing Pokémon back then.)

Going from 156 new Pokémon in G5 down to ~70 new ones in G6 feels like a huge step down for many. Personally, I liked making teams that contained only Pokémon from that Gen., but the lower amount of G6 Pokémon didn't really give me a lot of space to work with. Kinda like in Diamond/Pearl, where the only Fire-type Pokémon you could get were Infernape and Rapidash. :p

Bare in mind the original 151 were actually 190 to start with.

There is no LACK of Pokemon in the Kalos region but rather a lack necessity by GF to make an insane amount and still leave some design options open to them if they ever need it. There's 721 Pokemon and trust me when I say that is far more than enough. GF are playing it smart they're rekindling all the classics by upgrading and revamping them before releasing another title which saves them the hassle of having to come up with a mega ton load more ridiculous monster designs while also appeasing the long time fans.

As for the in-game reason as to why there are so few Pokemon I'd postulate that the amount of Ghost Types in the games and the history of Yveltal and Xerneas would imply a massive amount of casualties in the region could quite easily have killed off the majority of them. Though like with many Empires the other King (the one who ruled the Parfum Palace) restored the empire to it's former glory by conquering many other regions and created trade across the world which is why there are so many Pokemon from other regions in the game. What strikes me about the Palace is the fact that besides Zekrom and Resiram there are also statues of Bisharp, Palpitoad and Golurk spread throughout it which has a tie-in with unova.

Thibideau

Beautiful Midnight
I actually enjoy the Gens that introduce fewer new Pokemon than the ones that introduce more. To me the smaller Gens feel like they're adding to a universe that I enjoy, where the gens that add more are trying to subvert it in some way.

Design wise I also find that the larger Gens tend to have more duds compared to the smaller gens. There are designs I'm not fond of in every Gen but there are a lot more that I dislike in Gen III and Gen V than the rest.

as many others think, mega evos are replacing "the other new pokemon" that kalos could have had...
anyways, I just don't think mega evos are worthy of being counted as a new pokemon, as it's only temporal and stuff

As someone who hasn't played Black/White, the 'lack' of Kalos Pokemon didn't really bother me because I saw loads of Pokemon I hadn't experienced before. Honestly, I don't think having fewer Pokemon in Generation VI is that bad. For those who complain, the more Pokemon they create, the less original ideas they'll be able to come up with. I think they need to have a look at some of the Fakemon people have produced, awesome designs there.

BCVM22

For those who complain, the more Pokemon they create, the less original ideas they'll be able to come up with.

No, it doesn't work that way - a greater number of Pokémon does not equal a greater percentage of dilution.

I think they need to have a look at some of the Fakemon people have produced, awesome designs there.

No, that would be awful. We, the franchise and the world are so much better off for them being legally unable and otherwise possessed of no desire to do this.

I love the fact that Kalos has less Pokemon. Fewer Pokemon allows Game Freak to create more generations for many years to come without potentially running out of ideas or the designs getting stale. Pokemon didn't get lost in the pack this gen really, everyone stands out at least somewhat in it's own unique way.

Fayh

the more Pokemon they create, the less original ideas they'll be able to come up with.
There is absolutely no logical correlation between "amount of Pokémon" and "originality of Pokémon"...
Besides, whether something is an "original idea" is highly subjective.

Orphalesion

No, that would be awful. We, the franchise and the world are so much better off for them being legally unable and otherwise possessed of no desire to do this.

I dunno about this, 99.9% you are right and 99.9% of fakemon designs are awful. Yet once in a blue moon I run into a fan design that (possibly with some tweaking) would be an awesome real pokemon and I curse to the heavens that some fan artist came up with it and not gamefreak.

Cool would be if they, like some other Japanese video game franchises have done in the past, would hold a contest for a couple of fan produced Pokemon to be included in the next generation. Of course, given Pokemon's popularity, the logistics of this would probably be catastrophic and entry would likely be limited to Japan, but it would be cool.
If they really "run out of ideas" (which is nonsense) then they should consider doing this if they need to fill up a generation.

Ib4

Xenlon Cavalier
I dunno about this, 99.9% you are right and 99.9% of fakemon designs are awful. Yet once in a blue moon I run into a fan design that (possibly with some tweaking) would be an awesome real pokemon and I curse to the heavens that some fan artist came up with it and not gamefreak.

I would say I run into them even more often than 0.1%, mostly due to searching for entire dexes of fakemon, typically made by a single artist, instead of random submission sites. Oftentimes these more dedicated artists with their own sites create a greater number of fakemon with both well-executed and more artistically similar designs to the actual things (instead of looking like Digimon/Random Mythical Creatures/Dragon Quest Monsters/etc.) as opposed to the submission bases which run the gamut from excellent to pathetically awful. If GF were to look into fan creations I believe they would be better off targeting these individual artists with sites. Of course there are still bad fakemon created there, but in my opinion there are less of them. That being said, it does seem highly unlikely GF would adopt such a strategy, and despite GF's mistakes (Death upon thee Swirlix) they have undoubtedly had numerous brilliant creations in the past, and I hope they continue to succeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.