• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Landorian Sweepers

Dragonicwari

Artistically angry
landoriansweep1-1.jpg

So before I went MIA from the Pokemon world for a couple of months I had ended my battling career with a team based on a dual dancing terrakion set. I was fairly disappointed in how it had succeeded in wifi and such but when I came back, I decided it couldn't be to bad of an idea to base a team around a dual dancer (however I did have a brief stint with an incredibly stealth rock team that lost a single battle on my first day back to competitive mons). So I went looking for unexpected dual dancers and almost chose gliscor before finally deciding on Landorus.

Next I had done some research and found that rain was incredibly popular right now. I decided what was better than destroying thunders and hurricanes accuracy than having a sun inducer? While vulpix was definitely a viable option, I decided on ninetails since it is surprisingly better at everything except eviolite abuse.

I then realized I needed a defensive core, so I decided on ferrothorn and tentacruel. They were also excellent hazard setters and status inducers.

Now I needed a few more mons who can set up if needed. So I decided on conk and latias. The first being a great status absorbed and the latter adding in some defensive synergy with ferrothorn and tentacruel.

The Team

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sand Force
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Landorus is where this team started. I felt as though not many expected a double dancing landorus set but this guy can deal massive damage. If I have a swords dance up not even the mighty gliscor can switch in to a stone edge as I do over 50% to some variants. However getting up both dances is hardly ever a problem and sometimes I even need a third. Earthquake and stone edge provide fantastic coverage, resisted by vary few mons that are viable in ou. My nature and Ev's maximize my damage and there isn't much more to it.

Ninetales @ Leftovers
Trait: Drought
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Will-O-Wisp
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

I can't remember ever running a sun team in the ou environment and I wanted weather on my team, so I decided to go with ninetails. While this team doesn't focus on sun benefits, it does so in a much more subtle way. Latias's hp fire for example will hurt a lot more in the sun and landorus is a little less afraid to set up when the enemy has a water type waiting to come out. Cutting hurricanes accuracy (though I never seem to get the miss) as well as thunders is hardly something I will complain about. As for the moveset, will o wisp is for burning incoming Ttars, energy ball, hp ice and flamethrower gives me perfect neutral coverage and I'm an offensive person so I decided I'd rather have speed and power than bulkyness. Plus this allows me to outspeed non scarfed genesects and often gives me a heads up on weather they are scarfed or not.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Power Whip

So I needed a defensive core and decided to do that before I had an insanely frail team. So I broke out an old ferrothorn set. He's made to be as physically bulky as possible to deter any chance of my opponent trying to touch me and then I can switch to something specially bulky to take special hits. He's also great for mons that think he is set up fodder by paralyzing them. His last main job is to get rocks and spikes up, which is never hard with him.

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin
- Scald

So I needed a spinner, something that had good defensive synergy with ferrothorn, and could take a hurricane. Tentacruel fit this team perfectly. Scald burns are incredibly common, making most physical threats I face have no chance between my ferrothorn and tentacruel. So I decided not to have poison spikes and instead give myself a little coverage. Ice beam is for dragons primarily and giga drain is for opposing water types. Rapid spin is rapid spin. Ev's maximize my physical defense and my nature furthers that. Rain dish lets me abuse my opponents rain in the event I let them keep it up or lose the weather war. Black sludge is to scare off trickers, however I am fully aware of how that can backfire.

Conkeldurr @ Leftovers
Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch

Now this guy has so many purposes. Status absorber? Check! Physical tank? Check! Revenge killer/priority abuser? Check! If landorus doesn't just set up and sweep a team conk often will. My Ev's give me all the special bulk I need while bulk up covers my physical defense and my offense at the same time. Ice punch is for gliscor and dragons however I occasionally miss having stone edge. Mach punch has probably saved me more matches than I would like to admit while drain punch gives me survivability. Leftovers is to cancel out any burns I have.

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Recover

Latias and her twin have been so good to me in my year of competitive battling. While her brother has always served me as an incredible wall breaker, she has always been the set up sweeper of my dreams. Great bulk, access to immediate recovery, and what she doesn't cover between her two coverage moves she can still beat 1v1. Getting to +1 is almost never a problem and sometimes it's hard to avoid the temptation of trying to get to +6. My nature and Ev's maximize speed and I have her some serious physical defense in the same way Conk enjoys his special defense. Leftovers are leftovers and my moves give me good coverage and everything else latias needs.

Conclusion

While this was the first serious team I made since I came back to competitive mons, I have had fairly good success. Reaching 1687 on the ps ladder (with relative ease) in my first week back, I can definitely say this team was fun to use. If you have any suggestions at all go for it, but there isn't much (other than someone who can just straight up outplay me) that gives this team difficulty. Here's a few replays;

Hitting 1687

Physical sweepers showing their stuff

Spec's Toed?!?