• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The last movie you saw

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Moana

Hands down the best animated film of this year, like, I don't see Kubo and the Two Strings being nominated outside of "Best Visuals" anyway, but Moana was beautiful across the board, from visuals to story, and the main characters were very likeable and worked together, and also funny together. And that world, like I just wanna live there and go dance on the islands and sail across the ocean. Like I haven't been this impressed and awed by a Disney movie in a long time.

Noheart

The Abysswalker
Watched Thankskilling on Thanksgiving with my fiancé and a stoner circle of friends. One of the best movies ever made.

Bowlbasaur

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them--absolutely loved it

SmartD

The Peanuts Movie. It was cute and holds some meaning to me.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I don't know what possessed me, outside of a friend and I putting together our "Best/Worst Films of 2016" lists, but I'm in the middle of watching Norm of the North.

[img139]https://i.ytimg.com/vi/NmQhdVleLzQ/mqdefault.jpg[/img139]

Cutty

Forever now
Doctor Strange, Fantastic Beasts, Underworld Blood Wars, Nerve.

Hakajin

Obsessive Shipper
When Marnie Was There (Omoide no Marnie)

Story: Anna, a 12 year old girl, is adopted. Her parents and grandmother died when she was very small, and although her adoptive mother loves her very much, Anna feels alone. She feels different from other people, like she doesn't belong, and doesn't know how to communicate or make friends. The stress is causing her asthma to act up, so her mother sends her to live with relatives in the country, where the air is clean. At first, Anna feels isolated here, too, but soon she becomes fascinated by the seemingly abandoned house near the marsh. One night, when she's at her lowest, she meets the mysterious girl who lives there, Marnie. Marnie is a mature, warm girl who takes an instant liking to Anna, and the two form a close friendship. But there's something strange about Marnie and the world she lives in...

Rating: 5/5

Wow. Just, wow. What an amazing movie! Anna is easy to relate to as a character; she's introverted and stand-offish, feels like there's something about her that makes her unlikable to other people. She's lonely and doesn't like herself... But at the same time, you get the feeling that she really is kind of different from the talkative girls around her. She's been through a lot, is more reflective, and just can't relate to them. I like that the movie shows the difference between Anna and her peers, but doesn't depict them as frivolous, either.

Marnie's a great character, too. She's kind and warm and has an easier time socializing than Anna. She also seems more mature... but at the same time, she's definitely mischievous. Although Marnie is more out-going, she's thoughtful like Anna, and it's clear why the two are able to understand each other. Their relationship feels real and touching. Especially when you find out what they have in common.

The story's strong, too, takes it slow and puts the focus on the characters, where it belongs. The mystery surrounding Marnie isn't revealed much until the end, and some might want more explanations at that... But the movie isn't really about that. The mystery serves to make the friendship between Anna and Marnie seem magical, rather than being an end unto itself. In fact, I felt like the lack of explanation made it feel more realistic. You get the feeling that, if something like this happened in real life, there wouldn't be a full explanation for the person it happened to. And then the ending is so unexpected and moving, so perfect for the characters and the themes.

Animation is absolutely gorgeous, the characters, the scenery... I loved how certain emotions are expressed. Like when Anna is riding in the car with her relatives to their home, there's a shot of her staring out the window with a blank expression, just watching the countryside pass by; I've been there, and I recognized those feelings of isolation and emptiness immediately. And when Anna takes her first steps toward the marsh house, there's a shot of her stepping into the water which is so beautiful. The shore is symbollic of boundaries, so stepping into the water marks the point where Anna crosses over into another world that works by different rules.

Excellent Japanese voice acting (can't speak for the English yet since I haven't seen it). The voice actors are great at communicating the characters mental states, whether it's Anna's dull, depressed perspective, or Marnie's gentle playfulness.

So, yeah, beautiful, beautiful movie. It's a children's movie, but it's really mature, doesn't shy away from painful emotions or give characters easy, happy endings. If you like animation and/or kids movies, this is something you need to see.

SmartD

The Great Mouse Detective. I've that movie up to a certain point when I was probably in grade school or so.

Archangel Azazel

Fallen Angel
Saw Star Wars: Rogue One and it was amazing. Granted, I do not really follow or have seen the rest of the movies besides a few, but this was a treat for my sister as a Christmas gift. She said it was better than the Force Awakens and I actually agreed lol. I really loved most of the characters.

SmartD

Last weekend, I saw Rogue One. I thought it was cool. Today, I watched Flubber; I watched the movie in Spanish a long time ago.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Sing

I thought it was okay, parts of it worked, others could've used some polishing up. Better than Secret Life of Pets, though, I at least could tell Illumination wanted to try something a little different.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Jen and the Holograms: Let's just say I had nicer things to say about the New 52

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
Rogue One

It was pretty good. The only thing was I sat on the far end of the first row (because that was the only seat they had and I was with my dad). Got a bit of a neck ache afterwards, but we still had a good time : )