• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The last movie you saw

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I'm interested in seeing it, we don't have HBO Max in my country. If there's ever a DVD release I'll pick it up. While I still think Zack Snyder is and always has been the wrong person to oversee a DC movie universe, after hearing about everything the poor guy went through behind the scenes, I'm at least happy that he eventually got to make Justice League the way he wanted to make it, so I'd like to watch it for that reason.
Whether you'll enjoy it or not, I will say this. Zack Snyder's Justice League feels like an entirely different movie. You will be surprised of how much they changed in the Joss Whedon version. For starters, I understand why Ray Fisher (the actor who plays Cyborg) was so angry with the theatrical cut. He is literally the heart of the film, some would even say the Justice League movie is more of a Cyborg movie.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Godzilla vs King Kong
It was awesome! Definitely my movie of the year, it was the sort of movie that you always wanted to see as a kid. Can't get Batman encountering Spider-Man but at least I got this! :D

JayZz

The Mauritanian - 8/10

Excellent watch. Jodie Foster still seems a bit smarmy and like she's "doing acting" but this is a crazy, awful story. Well worth a watch, Kevin MacDonald is an excellent director.

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
Macbeth - a 2015 big-budget adaptation of the classic play starring Michael Fassbender and Marion Cotillard. I wouldn't exactly call myself a big Shakespeare fan, but I did study Macbeth in school so I'm familiar with the basic story and character motivations. This version has some really nice landscape shots, good use of slow motion, well-edited and easy to follow battle scenes, and some nice-looking artistic scenes, for example the final battle between Macbeth and Macduff in the climax has a raging forest fire in the background, so everything is lit a burning orangey red with lots of sparks and smoke, and it looks really cool.
As I've said before, Marion Cotillard is my favourite actress, and one of the best scenes in the movie is her delivering Lady Macbeth's final speech before she dies. The camera focuses on her face for a solid three minutes without cutting away, she stares directly at you the whole time, the entire speech is done in a single take and it builds an uncomfortable, foreboding mood.
This is easily my favourite Macbeth adaptation, but I did feel slightly uneasy about liking it as much as I do, because Harvey Weinstein is one of the executive producers, something I didn't realise until after the movie was over and his name popped up in the end credits. But from what I understand Weinsten wasn't really involved in production, he just bought the US distribution rights. I give the movie a 9 out of 10.

Last edited:

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Macbeth - a 2015 big-budget adaptation of the classic play starring Michael Fassbender and Marion Cotillard. I wouldn't exactly call myself a big Shakespeare fan, but I did study Macbeth in school so I'm familiar with the basic story and character motivations. This version has some really nice landscape shots, good use of slow motion, well-edited and easy to follow battle scenes, and some nice-looking artistic scenes, for example the final battle between Macbeth and Macduff in the climax has a raging forest fire in the background, so everything is lit a burning orangey red with lots of sparks and smoke, and it looks really cool.
As I've said before, Marion Cotillard is my favourite actress, and one of the best scenes in the movie is her delivering Lady Macbeth's final speech before she dies. The camera focuses on her face for a solid three minutes without cutting away, she stares directly at you the whole time, the entire speech is done in a single take and it builds an uncomfortable, foreboding mood.
This is easily my favourite Macbeth adaptation, but I did feel slightly uneasy about liking it as much as I do, because Harvey Weinstein is one of the executive producers, something I didn't realise until after the movie was over and his name popped up in the end credits. But from what I understand Weinsten wasn't really involved in production, he just bought the US distribution rights. I give the movie a 9 out of 10.

Great review! Makes me also want to see it.

About Weinstein.. That's something I would never worry about. As far as I've read, he never had much 'creative' input in anything. The only thing you should worry about is whether or not Marion was forced to be alone in a room with him.

If not, then you just watched a 9/10 movie with a despicable douche coughing up the funding - and knowing Hollywood, that's just about the case for 99% of all movies made. It's just that not all douches are named Weinstein - or caught yet. So nothing to fret about.

MrJechgo

In actual theaters: Sonic the Hedgehog (yeah, that tells you how screwed up my movie schedule became when the pandemic hit ^^; )
On streaming services: Pixar's Soul (after the Premium price was removed)

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
Ford v. Ferrari
Good movie with some cool cars. Don’t want to say more to avoid spoilers.

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
Among the Shadows - a straight-to-DVD low budget Underworld knock-off about a private detective who's also a werewolf investigating the murder of her uncle, the election campaign manager for the president of Europe...who's also a werewolf. And the presiden't wife is a vampire. And she's played by Lindsay Lohan. And this is the movie's big selling point.
The main plot is supposed to be werewolves and vampires having a secret war, but there's only one vampire and she never does any vampire stuff, and the werewolves never actually turn into werewolves, the most they do is grow fangs that look like they came from a dollar store. There's also this dumb political sub-plot in which the European Union has collapsed and been replaced with "United States of Europe" ruled under one government, I get the feeling the writers wanted a political story, but also wanted to film in Brussels, but didn't care to learn anything about European politics so just made up a load of nonsense.
Too many jump-cuts, shaky cam, bad lighting, lens-flare, blurry out-of-focus shots, music being too loud in some scenes so you can't hear what anyone is saying, Lindsay Lohan's scenes all being filmed in front of a green screen and awkwardly edited so it looks like she's talking to other people when you can tell she's actually not....Yeah this was bad. 2 out of 10.

Last edited:

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Just saw Mortal Kombat reboot. It was honestly pretty good!

As a long time Mortal Kombat fan, I have my gripes, but I know for the average moviegoer the film will be great.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I saw Mortal Kombat and honestly, I'm a little conflicted. On one hand, this is pretty good for a Mortal Kombat movie. If you're a Mortal Kombat fan or an action-movie fan, go see it. On the other hand, a little disappointed. I think the biggest gripe that most MK fans will have is Scorpion's story. Scorpion's personal story is a fan favorite, often considered to be the best in the Mortal Kombat universe, or at the very least top five for many fans. I would even say for fighting games, it's one of, if not the very best story you'll ever see from a fighting game. It's full of emotion, tragedy, revenge, Scorpion learning to forgive himself. In the movie, his appearance is treated more like fanservice. He feels like he is in the movie for the sake of being there and nothing else. You'll see what I mean if you go see the movie.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I saw Mortal Kombat and honestly, I'm a little conflicted. On one hand, this is pretty good for a Mortal Kombat movie. If you're a Mortal Kombat fan or an action-movie fan, go see it. On the other hand, a little disappointed. I think the biggest gripe that most MK fans will have is Scorpion's story. Scorpion's personal story is a fan favorite, often considered to be the best in the Mortal Kombat universe, or at the very least top five for many fans. I would even say for fighting games, it's one of, if not the very best story you'll ever see from a fighting game. It's full of emotion, tragedy, revenge, Scorpion learning to forgive himself. In the movie, his appearance is treated more like fanservice. He feels like he is in the movie for the sake of being there and nothing else. You'll see what I mean if you go see the movie.

Let's not get carried away on Scorpion.

Most Mortal Kombat fans don't even know what Scorpion's story actually is, and the film did not tell that story.
Scorpion was actually killed by Quan Chi, posing as Bi-Han, in exchange for Bi-Han's help in retrieving Shinnok's Amulet. Unbeknownst to Bi-Han, however, Quan Chi intended on killing Scorpion anyway, to create a spectre he could use to weed out Shinnok's adversaries.

It's become rather clear this new film series will be a great departure from video games' traditional story. I'm okay with that, as long as the the film series successfully creates its own cohesive universe.

joombo

Hounds of Love (2016)

A couple who kidnap and terrorise a young woman in the suburbs of Perth, and was loosely based upon the crimes of David and Catherine Birnie.

Came across this film on the Arrow Video website when buying Thief (1981)

Pretty intense in places, uncomfortably so at times. All in all, well worth a watch.

7.5/10

Luthor

I watched I am Mother. It's quite a clever concept but to be honest its one of those I would have been much more engrossed had I not seen the trailer.