• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Last Night (one-shot)

Gardevoir Girl

is NOT a girl
Warning: DO NOT read this if you disapprove of human/Pokemon relationships. I will not be responsible for any permanent hatred of anyone who flames me for this. There is romance - well, it’s a romantic story, so duh - but no sex. I don’t write lemons; never have, never will.

Now I present to you my very very late Valentine’s Day one-shot.

The Last Night​

Long after the sunset, I lie in my bed and gaze blankly around my darkened bedroom. The harsh, cold moonlight spills inside, illuminating the bare grey walls and piles of half-full cardboard boxes scattered throughout my room. In only a week I will be sleeping in a completely different room.

I roll onto my side with a groan and stare at the wall. I have slept in this bedroom almost every night for seventeen years. Even now, with the wallpaper stripped off and most of my possessions packed into boxes, it is the only place that feels like home. It is hard to believe I will soon leave it forever.

A gentle tap draws my attention to the window. I lever myself up onto my elbow and gaze at the polished glass, just in time to see a tiny stone bounce off it with a tapping sound. My heart leaps; finally something is going right!

I stumble out of bed, smooth down my nightgown and carefully slide the window up. A shadowed humanoid figure stands beneath my window, the cold moonlight illuminating his forest-green hair and pale skin. He tilts his head back and his solemn garnet eyes gaze deep into my chestnut ones.

“Are you coming down?” His deep, gentle voice speaks directly into my mind, sending shivers of pleasure down my back. I nod eagerly, slide the window closed and creep from my bedroom, my heart burning with the desire to be with him again.

My bare feet make no sound on the smooth wooden steps as I carefully make my way downstairs. I strain my ears but hear no sound from my mother’s bedroom.

I fling the back door open and the figure sweeps me into a tight embrace. I kick the door closed behind me, letting him lift me in his arms and swing me around like a young child. My long, dark red hair and knee-length cream nightgown soar out behind me as I cling to him, already loving every moment.

My feet touch the hard concrete and I hug him fiercely. “Eruri… I thought I’d never see you again.”

Eruri brushes my dark hair back lovingly with one hand. “I would never let you leave without saying goodbye. I just wish I could come with you.”

“So do I, but you know my mother would-”

He gently touches my lips with one finger, indicating that I should stop talking. “Let’s not think about that,” he whispers. “Let’s just enjoy the night.”

His hand closes around mine. I follow him eagerly as he draws me away from the house, leading me to the edge of the small city and out onto our favourite beach. Our feet sink into warm, white sand and the whisper of the ocean fills our ears.

I glance back at the two sets of footprints trailing behind us, Eruri’s so much broader than mine. The sea breeze stirs my hair as I reflect sadly that our differences are far more dramatic than just the size of our feet; so dramatic that our love will never be accepted in society.

Eruri comes to a halt and I turn my gaze to the ocean. The water is calm, yet still the waves thrash wildly further out and lap gently at the sand at our feet.

“Love is like the sea,” Eruri says quietly. “At times it is more powerful, at times almost completely becalmed, but its passion never ceases. It can be mild but it also has the power to wipe out lives in an instant. Some dislike it and some will never accept the truth of it, but it doesn’t care. It won’t change what it is for anyone.” He turns to me, his blood-red eyes gentle. “Nobody can stop the way we feel for each other, no matter what they do. They can’t stop free will.”

His hand touches the back of my neck and moves through my hair as he draws me closer. My eyes close in anticipation. His lips meet mine, their touch soft and sweet, driving all thoughts out of my mind. Nothing exists for us but the kiss. For a seemingly endless moment we are one being with two bodies, connected inseparably by love.

As the waves break softly in the sea, I lean into Eruri’s arms. My fingers stroke his soft emerald hair and move over his pointed elbows, coming to rest on his rounded hips. He runs his hands lovingly over every curve in my body.

Finally our lips separate and Eruri draws me down onto the sand. We gaze up into the wide, dark sky, both of us at peace with the world as we only are when we are together. Countless millions of fiery diamonds burn in the black silken sky, as though all of the grains of sand from our beach have been spread across the heavens. Among them, the moon hangs round and bright in its place high above.

“I wish this would never end,” I murmur softly.

Eruri’s hand closes around mine. “So do I,” he says. “If only the world would stop for us. If only…”

I turn my head, my hair spreading over the sand. “Eruri, we should run away together. No one will miss us and we can be together forever!”

But Eruri shakes his head. “I wish that were possible. You need to be close to humans and… Mark won’t be able to handle it if I disappear. He needs his best friend.”

My heart sinks. “Eruri… we’ll probably never see each other again. You say Mark needs you, but don’t you think I need you more?”

He gazes at me, his expression sad but loving. “Of course I know you need me, but I can’t abandon my trainer.”

I have been trying to forget our differences, but at his words the knowledge comes rushing back. Our love is forbidden, like countless other couples in the past have had to endure, but our differences run much deeper than just our religion or skin colour.

“Romeo and Juliet had it easy,” I whisper, despair glittering in my eyes.

Eruri strokes my hair and gives a faint smile. “And look how it ended for them.”

I shake my head, my tears spilling faster onto the warm sand. “Eruri… look at us. Our love is forbidden by almost the whole world, yet we try to be together. We’re so much worse off than Romeo and Juliet. At least they were both human. I mean, I’m a normal girl, living with my mother, going to school, putting off becoming a trainer so I can get a better education. But you… you’re not even human.”

Eruri shakes his head again. “No, I’m not. I’m a Pokemon, living with my trainer and his other partner, training to battle the Elite Four. But what does any of that matter if we love each other?”

I feel his arms encircle me and hide my face in his shoulder, my breath shuddering as my tears flow freely. “I can’t bear to be without you,” I whisper. “I don’t want to move away.”

“You need to be near a hospital,” Eruri says gently. “What if something goes wrong? You’ll need professional help. And besides, no matter how far apart we might be, a part of me will always be with you.”

I bite my trembling lip and nod. “I love you,” I say tremulously. “I will always love you, no matter what happens to us. You’re my one and only.”

“And I love you just as much,” Eruri tells me. “Don’t you ever forget it.”

We lie gazing into each other’s eyes, our bodies tightly entwined together. Eventually Eruri pulls away and climbs to his feet, brushing sand off himself. “You should go home. Can you get up?”

I accept the hand he offers me, allowing him to help me to my feet. I stumble and he catches hold of me until I can regain my balance. “Careful,” he warns. “I don’t want you to get hurt.”

“I’m all right.” I return his solemn gaze. He takes my hand and we walk back into the city, side by side. The concrete is cold under my bare feet after the warmth of the sand and the breeze has grown icy, causing me to shiver involuntarily.

We stop at the back door of my house. All is silent within, indicating that my mother has not noticed my absence. I reach for the doorknob and pause, unwilling to leave Eruri. I draw him close in one final hug.

“I need you,” I breathe into his ear. “I wish I could take you with me.”

He places one finger against my lips to silence me. “In a way, you will take me with you. We’ll never be apart. Just promise me one thing.”

“Anything!”

A smile creases the edges of Eruri’s mouth and his hand pushes back my hair, then moves down and comes to rest on my swollen belly. “Promise me you’ll name him Max.”

I cover his hand with my own, feeling the gentle stirring of a baby’s kick beneath my palm. “I promise. I’ll tell him all about his father and show him that photo of us together. I’ll raise him as well as I can.”

“I have faith in you,” he tells me quietly.

He takes both of my hands and leans closer, his lips meeting mine in a parting kiss. “I’ll always love you, no matter what,” he whispers. “Even if we never see each other again, a part of me will always be with you in our son.” He drops my hands and takes a step back. “Now go inside and don’t look back. If we never see each other again, it will hurt less if you don’t see me walk away.”

“But if you see me…”

“I won’t look. Please, just go.” His pleading eyes meet mine and I nod. He turns away as I step inside the house, closing the door behind me. I make my way through the dark house, silently climbing the stairs until I reach the bedroom that will only be mine for a few more days. Ignoring the melted moonlight spilling over the piles of boxes, I cross to the window and gaze outside. Eruri is nowhere to be seen.

I turn away from the window and glance fondly down, imagining the child growing inside me. He will emerge into the world in only two months. I will tell him all about his father.

Casting one last glance over the darkened window, I whisper to the night, “I’ll always love you, Eruri. We’re together in our son… and in our dreams.”

Dream Within A Dream

As the day begins to lose its light,
I sink into the moonlight’s beam;
You are there to await me tonight
In my dream within a dream.

You hold my heart in your hands,
Magic rains on you from above,
Your every wish is my command;
Is this what it’s like to be in love?

The stars glint in the sky;
Hand in hand, we sit together;
I gaze deep into your eyes,
Loving you forever and ever.

You show me the world at night;
The beauty takes my breath away;
A million pinpricks of light
Glitter to signal the end of the day.

I shelter safe in your arms,
Fearing that this will fade away,
Yet with you, nothing can harm
The love that burns each and every day.

Your lips brush mine, so soft and sweet,
Barely more than a feather’s touch,
My body burns with a passionate heat;
A powerful, irresistible rush.

I love you like the day is long,
The night calm and serene,
Sweetly as a thrush’s song,
Like a dream within a dream.

The moon, he casts his solemn rays
Upon our passionate hearts,
As we are locked in a lover’s embrace
Both hoping to never depart.

But as the moonlight begins to soften,
Replaced by the morning’s glow,
Our lips separate and, as they have often,
My tears begin to flow.

Our love may exist only by night
But the passion burns deep in our hearts;
We know we will soon reunite
’Til morning again tears us apart.

I wake in my bed, feeling bereft
As I watch the sunlight’s streams;
A few shattered fragments are all that is left
Of my dream within a dream.

There are a lot of sentences where you start with "I" or "my", which can get(and did get to me) reptitive. There re plenty of other ways to begin the sentence.

small city and out onto our favourite beach
You mispelled favorite.

At times it is more powerful, at times almost completely becalmed.
More powerful? Morepowerful than what?

his blood-red eyes gentle.
He tilts his head back and his solemn garnet eyes gaze deep into my chestnut ones.
I'm glad he can change his eye color on demand.

Finally our lips separate and Eruri draws me down onto the sand
That sentence is worded very wierd, so I first though your charachter is now pulled into the sand, like waist deep in the sand. You could have said, " ... he draws me into a sittng position a top the sandy floor."

“Romeo and Juliet had it easy,” I whisper, despair glittering in my eyes.

Eruri strokes my hair and gives a faint smile. “And look how it ended for them.”
Out of curiousity, how does a Gallade? know of Romeo and Juliet?

I shake my head, my tears spilling faster onto the warm sand.
By saying the tears spilled faster implied she was crying before this moment, but you never mention that.

Onto the actual story. I thought it was a pretty good plot and story; it gave me a good feeling towards Pokemon relationships. At the last part where it talked about her being pregnant, that struck up a red flag. Had her mother ever asked just HOW she got pregnant? It seems a little strange.

Alos, I thought you could have actually gien a description to Eruri, or a name to your main charachter.

Very nice story, though it has some errors in sense, grammar, and continuity. Good job.

Gazmof

Zephyr Trainer
Bright Side, just as a heads-up, favourite was correct; it just wasn't the American way of spelling it. Also, with regards to your comment about Gallade's eyes, dictionary.com lists a garnet as a deep-red transparent variety of gem, so technically they're still red eyes. I agree with almost everything else you said, though.

Gardevoir Girl, I must admit I enjoy your writing style, but I dislike first-person perspectives (though that's my issue, and not a criticism of your writing). I actually like the idea of a Human/Pokemon relationship and it was a good idea for you to tackle, but I feel like there could have been so much more backstory given, even if it is a one-shot, just to make me care about the characters more.

However, it was all good until... The bit where we realise that she's pregnant. I'm sorry, but that was insanely corny ^^; Also if I suggested to a girl I impregnated that I'm leaving her and will never see her again I'd be expecting a smack in the face at the very least. Knocking her up and leaving her to be a single mother is not romantic, at least in my view. Bright Side is also right when he talks about what the girl's mother is going to say (though I suppose that doesn't really matter too much, considering this is a one-shot and you don't have to deal with it).

So in summary: technically your writing was very good but story-wise and emotionally for me it did nothing. Eruri seems like a complete jackass in my mind and the main girl seems stupid and naive. It's difficult to get into a story, even a one-shot, when you simply can't like the characters involved.

Gardevoir Girl

is NOT a girl
Oops. Um...

You mispelled favorite.

That would be because we spell it 'favourite' in Australia.

More powerful? Morepowerful than what?

I meant at times it is more powerful than other times, but that just sounds awkward.

I'm glad he can change his eye color on demand.

As Gazmof said, garnet and red are the same thing. I just overuse garnet so I tried some variations here.

That sentence is worded very wierd, so I first though your charachter is now pulled into the sand, like waist deep in the sand. You could have said, " ... he draws me into a sittng position a top the sandy floor."

I did say 'onto' and not 'into'. Maybe you read it wrong. Anyway, your suggestion doesn't really sound right to me... I don't know, maybe it works for you, but...

Out of curiousity, how does a Gallade? know of Romeo and Juliet?

She might've told him, mightn't she? Besides, it's not so far-fetched; I once read a story in which a Gardevoir had read Lord Of The Rings and knew how to use the Internet.

By saying the tears spilled faster implied she was crying before this moment, but you never mention that.

I did say 'despair glittering in my eyes', by which I meant that she was crying, but I don't want to overuse the word 'tears'.

Had her mother ever asked just HOW she got pregnant? It seems a little strange.

Yes, the mother doesn't approve, hence she knows of the relationship and has forbidden her daughter from seeing Eruri any more. And I think a seven-month baby belly is a little hard to miss.

Alos, I thought you could have actually gien a description to Eruri, or a name to your main charachter.

I wrote this originally for a different forum, where I had just finished posting Reawakened (the story in which Eruri makes his debut). If you meant a description of what he looks like, I did gradually build up a description during the story. And I didn't name the narrator because... well, she's me.

Also if I suggested to a girl I impregnated that I'm leaving her and will never see her again I'd be expecting a smack in the face at the very least. Knocking her up and leaving her to be a single mother is not romantic, at least in my view.

Eruri doesn't have a choice; remember, he has a trainer who doesn't know about the relationship and has his own plans for his own and Eruri's futures. I agree, it's not the most romantic thing to happen, but I thought it would show the intensity of the love if the girl was pregnant to him.

Eruri seems like a complete jackass in my mind

I did write this for people who knew him a little better... I could've given his backstory, I guess, but it would've made the story boring and slow. He's really very caring and he only wants the best for the girl who, unfortunately, happens to be carrying his baby. That's why he said she couldn't come, he wanted her to be near a hospital in case something went wrong with the pregnancy. In case you didn't figure that out.

Well, thank you for the reviews, anyway.

~GG~

That would be because we spell it 'favourite' in Australia.
Sorry, only went by american spelling. ^_^

I meant at times it is more powerful than other times, but that just sounds awkward.
You could have said like it can be all powerful, rather than more powerful. I don't know, it just sounded weird to me.

As Gazmof said, garnet and red are the same thing. I just overuse garnet so I tried some variations here.
I could have sworm garnet meant green. Sorry about that ^_^

did say 'onto' and not 'into'. Maybe you read it wrong. Anyway, your suggestion doesn't really sound right to me... I don't know, maybe it works for you, but...
I guess I read it wrong. I thought it said into. My bad again.

She might've told him, mightn't she? Besides, it's not so far-fetched; I once read a story in which a Gardevoir had read Lord Of The Rings and knew how to use the Internet.
It depends on the story. If the Gardevoir was one that read fantasy books and used computers a lot, then it woudl fit. If she told him, you could have told the reader, since I was in the dark.

Yes, the mother doesn't approve, hence she knows of the relationship and has forbidden her daughter from seeing Eruri any more. And I think a seven-month baby belly is a little hard to miss.
You could have also went into some depth about the mother's disaproval, or explained to the reader why the charachter is moving, and if this is the reason.

A back story for the charachters would have made things much more clearer, but it still okay, just a few holes.

Gardevoir Girl

is NOT a girl
I'm going to write a back story for the characters; actually, it's a story based completely on these two, how they met and fell in love and even what happened after this one-shot. I won't be writing it for a while, but I'll post it here when I start.

~GG~

Normalize

I knew it was you from the first metion of red-hair! And i thought i grew atached to my characters. Your writing always leaves me in aw, you realy shoud become a prfessional one. I love you metion to Romeo and Juliet(Which BTW my drama club is doing and I am Juliet!). Also the way you compared the sea and love was o' so true, and i don't think Eruri a jackass, i think he cares for her enough to let her go; he know that if he stay with her any longer it just make things worse. Overall it was great, you tackling a hard area of fanfics and i think you'll do great. I just woder how the talk wioth her mother went when she told her that she got impregnated by a Pokemon.

Gardevoir Girl

is NOT a girl
I think you can be sure the talk didn't go very well. My mother in the story isn't quite as understanding as my mother in real life (I told her, and she's fine with it!). More of the story mother will be revealed in my upcoming story, including her reaction to many things like the pregnancy, the relationship in general and the discovery that her daughter is sneaking out at night to be with Eruri.

BTW, there's no way I'm becoming a professional author. I can't write anything but fanfiction. Believe me; I've tried.

~GG~

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Hm, I enjoyed this. I'm a sucker for romantic stuff though, so all the talk about love really pulled me in.

Mrmagius

~Deity of Valleity~
Wow, that was really something, passionate vibrant and just overall really good. I must admit I was skim reading a bit cause I need to come off more but I might read more later on, the pregnancy bit I ofund toiching yet yreally hard for me as a person to grasp (along with the whole pokemon/human relationship thing T_T)

But yea its good ad I like your style, it really makes you think.