• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Leaf Green Trio of Awesomeness

Gelatino95

Not a tool
I'm playing through Leaf Green and using a trio of pokemon on my team, accompanied by a few HM slaves. Don't suggest choices for different pokemon, since these are chosen by my personal taste. However, moveset help would be appreciated. Please limit move choices to level-up moves and TM/HMs.

Charizard
Ability: Blaze

- Flamethrower
- Dragon Claw
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

Primeape
Ability: Vital Spirit

- Screech
- Cross Chop
- Karate Chop
- Thrash

Alakazam

- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Shock Wave
- Recover

Emeraldfan

I'm not too familiar with LG, but Alakazam in Gen III is usually better this way:

Alakazam
Timid

Fire Punch
Thunderpunch
Ice Punch
Psychic

It's too frail for set up, so all out attack is the way to go.

Cross Chop and Karate Chop is 2 of the same type and thus a bad idea.

Primeape
Jolly

Earthquake
Cross Chop
Rock Slide
Bulk Up / Screech

Bulk Up is more usefull if you want Primeape to beat multiple poke's in a row, as he keeps his attack boost. Screech is a move you have to use again on every new pokemon.

Arlo

...and so on...
@Emeraldfan - it's nice you're back. In spite of the amount of text I put up on these things, I think you might know more about it in the end than I do.

I started a couple of responses to this one, but couldn't work anything out, specifically because OP wants to limit it to available in-game TMs and moves. In LG, there is exactly one Rock Slide, from a move tutor, and exactly one Earthquake, from a TM. I ran into the same problem that you sort of bypassed in your Primeape set - it could really use both of those attacks. But so could Charizard. And they can't both have them. I had been mostly considering EQ on Primeape and Rock Slide on Charizard, since I think those work a little better with their typing and the rest of their respective movepools, but it leaves both of them a bit short on coverage and useful moves, so I hadn't responded at all. What do you think in that context?

And the elemental punches aren't available in FRLG.

@Gelatino95 - I think the Zam set is about the best you're going to do. As noted, Zam's better off going all out from the beginning than trying to CM and Recover and last. Recover in particular can be problematic, since it often comes down to Recover, take damage, Recover, take damage, Recover, take damage.... In-game though, it can work out, since the AI is too stupid to press its advantage, so you can often just keep Recovering for a turn or two or three, and then the AI will do something dumb like use a physical defense stat-up on itself, and give you a chance to start attacking again.

Regarding Charizard and Primeape - just as I mentioned above, they really both need both EQ and Rock Slide, but they can't both have them. Well... even with that, they could potentially both have them, but it would require some creative breeding to get it done. They both can get Rock Slide as an egg move, and since EQ is a TM, they can both pick that up through breeding as well.

Let me check something here.......

Oog. Charizard gets Rock Slide from Larvitar. Primeape gets it from Camerupt. So we've got one source that doesnt' show up in-game until after the E4 and another that isn't in FRLG at all.....

Last edited:

Arlo

...and so on...
Right, but that's the only one, and thus the only way to get it in the game (other than learning it naturally, which neither Primeape nor Charizard do), and the move tutors can only be used once, so only one of them could get it. Again, except for some creative breeding, but I don't see how that would work in this case.

Larvitar learns both Rock Slide and EQ naturally, so it could pass them to Charmander/Charizard, freeing up the TM for EQ and the tutor for Rock Slide for Primeape. But Larvitar isn't available until after the E4. And Primeape needs Camerupt to get Rock Slide, who isn't even available in FRLG.

Either one could get EQ easy enough by breeding, since it's a TM move, but doing it that way would require using the TM to teach it to a pokemon that could breed with both (or at least chain to both). It might be complicated, but it could be done. Rock Slide is where it falls down though - since it's a move tutor move and not a TM, it can only be passed as an egg move.

Let me see if I can figure out the best way to at least get EQ on both of them.....

*edit* - Mankey/Primeape is the Field egg group. Charmander/Charizard is Monster/Dragon. So, first, one of them has to be male and the other female. If that's the way it already is - great. If not, you'd have to breed whichever one you want until you get the right gender. Then teach EQ to the male with the TM, then breed that male with a female Ekans. Ekans will get EQ passed to it. Keep doing that until you get a male Ekans, then breed that with the female of the first two, and their offspring will get EQ passed.

Getting into the possibility of "more hassle than it's worth" there, but it would work, at least for EQ.

Otherwise, we're back to one or the other of them getting both or each of them getting one....

*edit again* Ah... no. Hell. I just remembered that the two slot daycare, and thus the only place to breed in FRLG, is on Four Island, so you can't even breed until after the E4....

So scratch all of that meandering. There's one EQ TM and one single-use Rock Slide move tutor, and that's that.

I'll go back to considering movesets with that in mind......

*And a third edit* -

I'm tentatively thinking:

Charizard:
Flamethrower
Aerial Ace / Wing Attack
Rock Slide
Dragon Claw

and

Primeape:
Brick Break / Cross Chop
Bulk Up
Earthquake
Substitute? (does EQ break your own sub? I assume not, but I haven't tried the two together)

That last slot could be any other physical attack too - Return / Strength / Aerial Ace / Facade.....

Last edited:

Emeraldfan

EQ doesn't break your own sub, cause you don't take any damage at all. You're right about the elemental punches, it appeared the site I use for moves had some mistakes, one of them being that the elemental punches aren't available, while the site said they were.

@ Arlo: If I remember rigth you already improved a lot since your first post and I think most of your rates are pretty solid (though I haven't taken the time to read them all :), but still thanks for that complimen

Last edited: