• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Legend of Dratini! (035)

Medea

Excalibur
Of what I read (somewhere) that this episode (if it wasn't banned) would have aired in October 1998. In other words, over 6 months before the incident at Columbine. But I guess people were fear-stricken back then and once the incident happened 6 months later, people made sure that this episode wouldn't air in the U.S. as people grew more paranoid after Columbine. But then again, who could blame them?

Sharpshooter

Battle Factory Champion
What the heck's Columbine?

Some other gun incedents I recall were from other Warner Bros programmes such Tom & Jerry. You could argue promoting the use of fire arms on animal's should be sanctioned as well as that on kids.

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
Tom and Jerry was MGM.

However, Elmer Fud would be nothing with out his gun.

It was purely 4Kids being wusses.

There could be another reason this episode was not dubbed and aired. One, when Team Rocket uses the gun in this episode, it creates a conflict, it would be hard to dub that part out. And secondly, this is a kids show, 4Kids isn't going to show Team Rocket holding a gun to a mans head for a pokemon.

Chris

Old Coot
The Big Al said:
Tom and Jerry was MGM.

However, Elmer Fud would be nothing with out his gun.

It was purely 4Kids being wusses.
No, it was the censors that did not allow this episode to air. The episode HAS been dubbed according to Racheal Lillis in an interview, but the censors simply would not allow it to air. :\

Alfonso

Derpgull
Edward Elric said:
No, it was the censors that did not allow this episode to air. The episode HAS been dubbed according to Racheal Lillis in an interview, but the censors simply would not allow it to air. :\

Really? I suppose that means *somewhere*, The Legend of Dratini is sitting, dubbed, on video in 4Kids HQ. Mark my words, one of these days somebody is going to go beserk and try to steal it. XD "Look, look! I have the Banned Dratini Episode!" *is shot by security guards*

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
Why didn't they release it as a "lost episdoe" like "Beauty and the Beach" after the dust settled?

Chris

Old Coot
The Big Al said:
Why didn't they release it as a "lost episdoe" like "Beauty and the Beach" after the dust settled?
Because with episode 18, they made a BIG cut whereas I would assume they left in all the guns for Legend of Miniryuu. There's no way they could have pulled it off without the guns.

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
No, that's an insult to the be working on Tom and Jerry. They were supposed to be the anti-Warner Brother's cartoon. There was one big furball when both released cartoons that seemed to be the same thing.

Anyway, I seriously think they could have released after the dust had settled by 2000. Their had already been heavy weapons fired in the anime, I don't see why pea-shooters that don't even hit anything would be banned? You'd think at least Cartton Network would have released it.

Oh well, another reason why I want to find the orginal Japanese first season. (They did it for Sailor Moon, why not Pokemon?)

Jesse GS the II

I was frozen today!
The Big Al said:
No, that's an insult to the be working on Tom and Jerry. They were supposed to be the anti-Warner Brother's cartoon. There was one big furball when both released cartoons that seemed to be the same thing.

I'm not saying I condone it (I think MGM deserves to get their cartoons back), I'm just saying that's probably why he thought Tom and Jerry were Warner creations.

Chris

Old Coot
The Big Al said:
Anyway, I seriously think they could have released after the dust had settled by 2000. Their had already been heavy weapons fired in the anime, I don't see why pea-shooters that don't even hit anything would be banned? You'd think at least Cartton Network would have released it.
My friend, these were definately NOT pea-shooters we're talking about. o_O; We're talking realistic, pretty basic, modern ol' handguns with actual bullets set to kill. It's the pure fact that he endangered the kids' lives just for being so trigger happy and going off on anyone for anything. The moment Satoshi went to grab his Safari Balls and fishing net, the warden pulled his gun right in front of Satoshi's face again.

As for CN, they don't own the rights to Pokémon. KidsWB does. And even then, they can't air anything KWB hasn't aired. Plus since KWB grabbed Pocket Monsters back again, they no longer just have a hold on Pocket Monsters AG's dub.

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
And we've seen Team Rocket RPGs that actually fire explosives (remember the giant dragonite) along with ice rockets.

The warden had 38 six shooters. Ash had a semi-auto pulled on him along with a couple rifles and a shot gun. Until these point, guns were in the anime. Gun being fired were in the anime.

Heracross

Custom User Title
TR's rocket launchers are a lot different than a revolver. How many people do you know that have access to a bazooka? Yet many people keep handguns in their home, so they couldn't take a chance in negatively influencing children by showing a handgun being fired (however rediculous it sounds). Also they did edit TR's rocket launchers out of "The Poké-Spokesperson", so they're not entirely exempt from scrutiny.

Last edited:
J

Jin Kazama

Lucky the one that lives out of France, if you all want to know, in France, we can't watch recent pokemon episodes. We can watch only the one that took place in Kanto, nothing about Johto or Hoen. Fortunately; we can follow pokemon news on the net. Fortunately, I have american and english channels XD!! I can watch all the pokemon episodes in ENGLISH!!! ^^

S

Shiny May

I've just seen the ep and it's a hilarious one. Team Rocket is really cool in this one and Dragonair and Dratini look really cute together. Also nice to see the Warden change all of a sudden. Really a fantastic ep, too bad it's banned !! :)

Shiny May said:
I've just seen the ep and it's a hilarious one. Team Rocket is really cool in this one and Dragonair and Dratini look really cute together. Also nice to see the Warden change all of a sudden. Really a fantastic ep, too bad it's banned !! :)

how have you just seen this ep it was banneed?

Jesse GS the II

I was frozen today!
Nah, it's way too late now. Ash has been in Hoenn for two years - they won't backtrack to Kanto just for one episode. It's like ABC and the lost episode of "Whose Line Is It Anyway" that they refused to air (because Wayne Brady wasn't in it).