• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Legend of Dratini! (035)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
The Legend of Dratini!

Finally into the Safari Zone, Ash starts his Pokémon catch-fest under the watch of a trigger-happy warden. However Team Rocket appear and want to nab some Pokémon. Will they succeed?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
Ah yes, the episode they banned because of guns. It goes up thre with the unusual hand positions and other crap 4Kids has done to us. I swear, they dubbed "Here Comes the Squirtle Squad" where six people point various fire arms at Ash. Yet a guy isn't shy about showing his piece and showing his other piece isn't exceptable. :rolleyes:

From what I've heard, it was a great epi. We finally get to see the Safari Zone and we get to see Dratini. (It would have been nice to see this episode because it would explain somethings in a later episode.)

F

Factory Head Noland

I saw a little bit of this episode once (on the net) and it was such a good episode, I'm so annoyed that it got banned!!!

Jesse GS the II

I was frozen today!
This isn't the only appearance of the Safari Zone, it was also featured extensively in "The Kangaskhan Kid". But this sounds like the far superior episode. The game warden is a real weirdo, so naturally I had to make him a total psycho. Just wait until I upload the script for "A Flockwork Orange" - heavy on the profanity, but one of the funniest scripts I've ever written.

Sharpshooter

Battle Factory Champion
I was able to get the whole episode! :D

(In Japanese of course, although subtitled in English)

Anyway, enough of the illegal talk, just finished watching it there now. A very good episode indeed, particularly if your a dragon pokémon fan, simply because it had a very sappy ending between the warden and the dragonair, which as we all know, happen to be his pokemon, he last saw it 30 years ago when it was a Dratini :p

I thought it was hillarious when Team Rocket did there usual motto on top of the Safari entrance, though it was cut short as the warden couldn't be arsed with the whole thing and starting shooting them. Reminds me of that scene in one of those Idiana Jones movies, where the swordsman does all his fancy tricks threating to kill him and then Idiana just shoots him, nice :D

Jesse GS the II

I was frozen today!
Sharpshooter_007 said:
Reminds me of that scene in one of those Idiana Jones movies, where the swordsman does all his fancy tricks threating to kill him and then Idiana just shoots him, nice :D

You know the story behind that scene? It's hilarious.

Chris

Old Coot
The Big Al said:
Ah yes, the episode they banned because of guns. It goes up thre with the unusual hand positions and other crap 4Kids has done to us. I swear, they dubbed "Here Comes the Squirtle Squad" where six people point various fire arms at Ash. Yet a guy isn't shy about showing his piece and showing his other piece isn't exceptable. :rolleyes:

From what I've heard, it was a great epi. We finally get to see the Safari Zone and we get to see Dratini. (It would have been nice to see this episode because it would explain somethings in a later episode.)
Here we go again. -_-; The guns were FIRED at kids. Not just pointed. They were FIRED at Satoshi and the group and pointed RIGHT in their faces. Then Kojirou and Musashi tied up the warden and held guns ON HIS HEAD. Then Musashi dressed up as a school girl and flirted with him to bring out the perverted old man within.

PLENTY of reason why the censors didn't allow this one to air.

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
So what? If I had a gun, I would wouldn't haved missed Team Rocket. Many other animes have the villians going blown up, chopped up, shot up, and get dubbed. Why can't Pokemon show TR and Ash dancing from bullets?

Chris

Old Coot
Considering those other anime you're referring to ARE NOT ON SYNDICATION. o_O Plus Pokémon is already well known to parents as something their kids could watch. If something like that aired, they'd have a field day. Even Looney Tunes/Merry Melodies is having scenes with guns being cut (unless it's Elmer Fudd and Yosemite Sam).

Sharpshooter

Battle Factory Champion
EliteTrainerRaven said:
Considering those other anime you're referring to ARE NOT ON SYNDICATION. o_O Plus Pokémon is already well known to parents as something their kids could watch. If something like that aired, they'd have a field day. Even Looney Tunes/Merry Melodies is having scenes with guns being cut (unless it's Elmer Fudd and Yosemite Sam).

Particularly because guns are legal in America. What's that I hear, Texas has a population of 17 million people, but also has 60 million guns?!

It might be alright in the UK since guns are banned here, but everything of pokemon we see(including Simpsons, looney tunes etc) has to come from America, so I guess we don't have much of a say :p

Chris

Old Coot
And that's another point. It's illegal in Japan to own guns, so it's alright and there's no worries about kids shooting other kids or adults shooting other people since it's against the law to own one.

Heracross

Custom User Title
Jesse GS the II said:
You know the story behind that scene? It's hilarious.
Yeah, they were supposed to have a fight scene but Harrison Ford had a broken leg or something, so they just improvised.XD I like this way better anyway.

Anyway, I really thought this episode was very good. It presented the Safari Zone very well, and the Warden was a very original and unique character. And he's really not the trigger-happy psycho that everybody assumes. He turns out to be a very kind and caring man, and he has reasons for the way he acts, which is what makes him one of the deepest characters Ash & co have met during their travels.

Probably the most notable thing about this episode is that, unlike the other banned episodes, this one was essential to the plot of the show. I remember watching "Showdown at the Poké-Corral" and thinking "...the hell? Since when did Ash catch 30 Tauros, or even go to the Safari Zone for that matter?" and I know many other American fans were confused as well. Not only that, it seems like many of the episodes before this one were building up to the Safari Zone, and then we go directly to "The Bridge Bike Gang" where, ironically, the narrator mentions how Ash & co just came from the Safari Zone.-_-

I've always thought the episodes from this period were truly the best, and this one is no exception. It really is too bad we'll never get to see it dubbed, but then again, the Japanese episodes are better anyway.

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
Has anyone else noticed that the warden looks a lot like Charleton Heston? The man who was president of the NRA at the time.

Jesse GS the II

I was frozen today!
Heracross said:
Yeah, they were supposed to have a fight scene but Harrison Ford had a broken leg or something, so they just improvised.XD I like this way better anyway.

Even funnier than a broken leg - Ford really had to go to the bathroom, so he just shot the guy and ran off the set.

Heracross

Custom User Title
That is funny.XD I'm pretty sure he had a broken leg though, but I can't remember where I heard it, so I don't really have any proof.>_> Anyway, the part when the warden starts shooting at TR during their motto was funny. He wasn't messing around when he told them to get off the sign.

why was this banned? also the picture of ash riding on dragonair is on the intro of the first series but i always wondered why there was a picture of draginair and no ep about dragonair.

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
It was banned because
1. It had the shooting of guns and it would air just after Columbine(sp?).
2. The Safari Zone Warden looked like Charleton Heston who ran the NRA at the time.

It was obvious that the makers of Pokemon were trying to make a statement and 4Kids couldn't allow that. So they used the massacre in Colorado as an excuse to not show it.

2. The Safari Zone Warden looked like Charleton Heston who ran the NRA at the time.

LOL

i didn't know that one, but now that you mention it, he does look like charles heston. even though i don't like him very much, i felt kinda sorry for him when he was being interviewed by michael moore in 'bowling for columbines'.

Chris

Old Coot
I..don't recall the looks of the warden playing any role in the reasoning for the ban. o_O It was more of the fact that he pointed his gun at children, then fired the gun at said children, and then later had guns pulled on him while tied up by the Rocket Gang. Not to mention Musashi dressed in her ganguro school girl outfit and tried bringing out the perverted old man within him to tell them where Miniryuu is.