• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Legend of Heroes! Leon's Ultimate Battle! (1116)

i2i

Big Bad Wolf
Though it wouldn’t surprise me if they skipped over the Normal Type Max Move since it’s not super effective on any type.

I can see them skipping it for that reason too.

I think Go may have done better against Galarian Farfetch'd if he just used Raboot from the start. At least it had more experience than most of his other Pokemon

I doubt it would have done any better since I can picture Galarian Farfetch'd deflecting Raboot's Ember right back to him like he was a Jedi.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang

MartínK

Greninja I can obviously get behind, Cut needs to go. But why Heracross per sé? It's movepool has better options these days I mean it desperately needs a Rock-type move like Rock Blast to deal with its main weakness: Flying.
Heracross: Megahorn (signature), Pin Missile (awesome, just look at Paul's Drapion), Close Combat (Focus Punch isn't in the learnset in Gen8), Rock Blast (necessary coverage) <- Especially if it will Mega Evolve.

Gliscor's moveset is already expansive as is: Fire Fang, X-scissor, Steel Wing, Stone Edge, Giga Impact (and Sand Attack, Screech). It already covers Psychic with X-scissor so the only thing Night Slash would cover would be Ghost-types - which it has other options. It basically desperately needs a STAB-move other then implied type-alignments (Steel Wing implies Flying-type and Stone Edge implies Ground, especially with the current animation). However, Gliscor just doesn't get many Ground-type moves: Earthquake, Earthpower, Bulldoze and Sand Tomb. Of which, I think Sand Tomb would be the coolest in terms of animation (even if ingame it's kinda weak). As for Flying-type, it can replace both Giga Impact with either Sky Attack or Acrobatics as both would fit its gliding style quite well.
Gliscor: Sky Attack/Acrobatics, Sand Tomb (basically how it used Sand Attack, but damaging), Fire Fang, X-scissor.

Night Slash and Leaf Blade are the exact same move, just a different glow on the leek. When rough boi Farfetch'd evolves into gallant Sirfetch'd, I'm sure it will replace the 'Night Slash' with the purer Leaf Blade.

Heracross current Moveset is Horn Attack, Megahorn, Sleep Talk and Focus Punch, i agree that Rock Blast and Close Combat MUST replace ST and FP but Pin Missile doesn't make any sense and Night Slash is now and egg move but if you want from the gen 8 moveset Throat Chop would be better.

They only give Gliscor Fire Fang to be used against Byron, his ideal movest is Earthquake (Bannd), X-Scissor, Sky Attack and Stone Edge (Cover his x4 ice weakness and is more STAB that Fire Fang), so instead of Earthquake they could give him Night Slash or if you want a ground move Earth Power (Earthquake is the only one banned)

In the Sirfetch'd case you might be right, they are going to give him (I hope) Brutal Swing, Brave Bird Leaf Blade and Meteor Assault

With how lackluster the G-Max battles have been so far, I'm just hoping that they aren't going to just stick with these Top 8 battles being 1 on 1. They probably won't, but it would be a major disappointment for me. I just don't like the G-Max concept in general though...

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
It's also how Charizard survived Stone Edge :p
True, at least as far as type effectiveness goes. I don't think the anime has ever given an equivalent description of "this move is 4x effective," it's always either the move is regularly effective, ineffective, no effect, or super effective.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Raihan was the best part of this episode though he seemed a bit less confident than his in game self. Farfetch'd was a shocker but it slightly gets Ash away from Kanto Pokémon so I'm ok with it. Figured Rose was going to show up but not so soon. Sonia had a nice debut. One of the better episodes this series. Only issue was the battle felt so short. 9/10

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Sonia sounds so good, its been a long time since I have absolutely adored a dub voice like I adore her voice rn, like it more than the japanese version
Also farfetch'd deep voice was great for the dub, although 'KAMONN' will forever remain iconic

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Raihan’s dub voice kind of sounds like what I’d expect Bakugo to sound like in his 40s

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Why was Goh about to puke near the beginning of the episode? it was never brought up again and also not mentioned by any of y'all in this thread

Lol at how illogically overconfident Raihan was

This episode was oddly structured with its three separate parts that were almost entirely unrelated lol

Brittany Cox does a great job voicing Sonia

I wasn't surprised Galarian Joys use Indeedee, but I was a bit surprised that Nurse Joy didn't have a conversation with Ash and Goh about how it's Indeedee in the Galar region

If they don't want Satoshi to capture Messon, they obviously just want ikuze frog to return sometime in the future. (I'm kidding, but... Maybe.)

Well, Ash just went through Alola without a Water Pokémon proving he can go through a whole generation without one.

Then the question rises: Why didnt he caught an Aloloan variant but did catch a Galarian variant?

Because Lillie and Kiawe caught Alolan variants

Also, I wasn't aware that the Farfetch'd were using Night Slash since the subs displayed the Japanese name for the move

I am not a sub viewer so this doesn't directly impact me, and perhaps one could even tell me to my face: "as someone who only watches the dub, you are in a totally different target audience so it should be obvious that you don't like this decision" and I would buy that if someone told me that. Perhaps people who do watch the subs like the decisions of @Lord Starfish and team in that they use the Japanese names. i will just say though, if I were a sub viewer, I would not like it at all, because it creates confusion. Your confusion here is an example, a notorious one is the Visquez battle and how no one knew what ability she was talking about from the subs, etc.

Now, can I really be angry at this? Certainly not when I don't even watch the subs, and also i have to respect @Lord Starfish and team for even making subs in the first place. It's a nice thing of them to do for free, especially considering how time-intensive I'm sure it is for them. So I have to respect them for that. So basically I will just say that I respect them for making the subs but respectfully disagree with the way they go about doing it.

the reason is as follows: from my perspective what they are doing is equivalent to: if you received your game (Sword/Shield or any previous generation game) English language version, put it into your system, and throughout the game the words on screen were not the English move names but direct translations of the Japanese move names. That's what they've basically done with these subs.

I wonder what this was? I can't even think of any 3-letter swear word that serebii automatically bleeps out that fits in this sentence.........

I like that Dande changed up his move set for Lizardon. I'm hoping he keeps doing this or it is revealed that his Lizardon doesn't forget moves, that would make him a real threat, ala Yuuji's Kairyuu which knew something like eleven attacks.

That would be stupid. Drake was an example of the early installment weirdness of OS, not because Dragonite was OP in a way that would be considered legit in the modern anime

I can see them skipping it for that reason too.

I doubt it would have done any better since I can picture Galarian Farfetch'd deflecting Raboot's Ember right back to him like he was a Jedi.

or more like he was Link in the Ganondorf fight tbh

Honestly, Zigzagoon’s the only non-Kanto based Galarian form that fits Ash, & even that’s a stretch

Anyway, do you think Riolu will learn Steel Beam once it evolves into Lucario? It’s not the best in-game move, but it’s a flashy new attack introduced in Gen 8 & it got a lot of hype since there was a contest in Japan for a kid to select the move’s official name

Whether it's Steel Beam or not, I want Lucario to learn a Steel STAB move just to make it different from most Lucario who've ever appeared in this show including Korrina's Lucario who's only Steel move is not a STAB move because it's Metal Sound

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
I am not a sub viewer so this doesn't directly impact me, and perhaps one could even tell me to my face: "as someone who only watches the dub, you are in a totally different target audience so it should be obvious that you don't like this decision" and I would buy that if someone told me that. Perhaps people who do watch the subs like the decisions of @Lord Starfish and team in that they use the Japanese names. i will just say though, if I were a sub viewer, I would not like it at all, because it creates confusion. Your confusion here is an example, a notorious one is the Visquez battle and how no one knew what ability she was talking about from the subs, etc.

Now, can I really be angry at this? Certainly not when I don't even watch the subs, and also i have to respect @Lord Starfish and team for even making subs in the first place. It's a nice thing of them to do for free, especially considering how time-intensive I'm sure it is for them. So I have to respect them for that. So basically I will just say that I respect them for making the subs but respectfully disagree with the way they go about doing it.

the reason is as follows: from my perspective what they are doing is equivalent to: if you received your game (Sword/Shield or any previous generation game) English language version, put it into your system, and throughout the game the words on screen were not the English move names but direct translations of the Japanese move names. That's what they've basically done with these subs.
I am fully aware that the subbers are using Japanese names to appease to the Japanese audience, as someone who is accustomed to English names, if I didn't immediately recognise locations for instance, I'd have to do a google search. But yeah in the case of Visquez and Electrode's HA, I can understand the confusion.
Though as someone who (now) watches the Japanese version more often than the dub, I default to using character's Japanese names (if they're original the anime) even after a dub name is known. I've been doing the same when talking about Yugioh since Zexal.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I am fully aware that the subbers are using Japanese names to appease to the Japanese audience, as someone who is accustomed to English names, if I didn't immediately recognise locations for instance, I'd have to do a google search. But yeah in the case of Visquez and Electrode's HA, I can understand the confusion.
Though as someone who (now) watches the Japanese version more often than the dub, I default to using character's Japanese names (if they're original the anime) even after a dub name is known. I've been doing the same when talking about Yugioh since Zexal.
I think for many fans, they use whichever name is known first. I know that people were using the names Clemont and Bonnie, or the names Mallow Lana Kiawe and Sophocles, before those generations of the anime were dubbed, because they were game characters, and they knew their English names from the game. On the other hand, for Chloe, because she's not a game character, everyone was saying Koharu and now is finding it hard to switch. I even see YouTubers and twitter users who pretty much use all the other English names still calling her Koharu. I guess it doesn't help that she doesn't appear in every episode and sometimes takes episodes at a time off.

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
I think for many fans, they use whichever name is known first. I know that people were using the names Clemont and Bonnie, or the names Mallow Lana Kiawe and Sophocles, before those generations of the anime were dubbed, because they were game characters, and they knew their English names from the game. On the other hand, for Chloe, because she's not a game character, everyone was saying Koharu and now is finding it hard to switch. I even see YouTubers and twitter users who pretty much use all the other English names still calling her Koharu. I guess it doesn't help that she doesn't appear in every episode and sometimes takes episodes at a time off.
That's how I do things mainly, use whatever name that is known to me first, which is why I brought up Yugioh as an example personally. As a kid I grew up with the dub and use the English names and find the Japanese names weird, but then the opposite occurred come Zexal as using the Japanese names became second nature and I find it hard to switch, only doing so out of necessity really.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I dunno. For me it was quite easy defaulting for the american name.

I'll say this though: Koharu sounds nicer lol

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Dunno what to think about this episode. The first half was such a waste, I don't see why they had to do another Leon battle when it gave us nothing that the one with Lance didn't already give us. It's just a reminder of how dynamaxing just drains all dynamics out of a battle. I don't think Duradulan even moved once during this whole battle. It's just the two trainers exchanging moves but there's no thought behind it, it's just a series of moves without depth. It's just such a shame when these are supposedly the best trainers in the world and they can't even show off a single move combination. It's just not cool, it's boring and devoid of any tension or surprise, it's just a shallow attempt at hype. Sonia's inclusion was a bit random, wish they'd actually done something with her other than just have her spout cryptic exposition and then vanish from the episode again.

Battle with Farfetch'd was better, Ash actually knows you can combine moves for instance. Downside is that we didn't get to learn Farfetch'd at all prior to battle and as a consequence this capture also felt rushed and not all that satisfactory, if only they hadn't wasted half the episode on a pointless reminder that Leon and his Charizard exist (seriously the narrator tells us every single episode already) they could have actually given the bird some character development, like they did with the other Ash captures this series.

Sometimes this series manages to hit good stuff but more often than not Journeys just feels like it's rushing to the next plot point without actually having a clue how to take the journey to that plot point and make it more character driven (for example they want to introduce Sonia but don't even bother giving her an in-universe reason for being there or give her anything to do in the episode).
It's kind of ironic they're calling this series Journeys when the journey itself is skipped offscreen most of the time.

Last edited: