• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Legend of Korra Shipping Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Encyclopika

The Queen
Well, I actually can't believe this hasn't been open yet, but here we go.

This is a thread to talk about the over-abundance of shipping in The Legend of Korra, Avatar: The Last Airbender's sequel. There are currently 7 episodes and many ships to talk about.

Anyway, if you are new to the LoK shipping fandom, here are the *somewhat* official shipping pair names. Others will be added as you guys mention them:

Borra - Bolin/Korra
Makorra - Mako/Korra
Masami - Mako/Asami
Pemzin - Pema/Tenzin (canon)
Linzin - Lin/Tenzin
Bosami - Bolin/Asami
Korrasami - Korra/Asami
Amorra - Amon/Korra
Tahnorra - Tahno/Korra
Howrra - Howl/Korra

Now, I'm well, WELL aware that, just like the Pokemon fandom, there are rival ships. We can discuss the validity of ships in here, but to an extent. Remember to respect your fellow shipper and not call out any ship without the proper evidence and etiquette. It has only been 7 episodes, and right now, NOTHING is certain at face value. It really could go either way.

So, I suppose I should start this out with the obvious:
Which LoK ship is your favorite?

Last edited:

Hot Limit

First, let me just say I love The Legend of Korra! xD

Well, I can't decide between Makorra or Borra! The episode where they bring emphasis to all the ships really got me confused on what I want. I at first knew for sure I wanted Makorra, but now I just don't know, lol. Also, even though Pemzin is cannon and all, and I do love it, I really like the that Lin and Tenzin had a relationship before, and curious to know what could have happened between them. Basically, I ship them together too! xD Don't know what that would be called though.

WinterStarlight

Let us eat!
Legend of Korra! Yay!

At first I liked Makorra, but when I saw episode 5, I started to like Borra more now. Masami is my favorite of all of them, though. I just find them really cute together, and the way they met was pretty interesting. How many people have ever run over their soon to be boyfriend? xD I like Borra because after seeing their little "date", I saw how much they had in common and how happy they were. Borra has really grown into up. I don't want to ship Korra with Mako or Bolin since they are the perfect trio, and I don't want to see any of them being upset over who is dating who. I still do it anyways. xD

I agree with Hot Limit. I really like the idea of Lin and Tenzin being in a relationship in the past. Who would have thought? They are like complete opposites. I believe it was because of Pema that they broke up. A name for it should be Linzin. xD

I like Pabu and Naga. They could have that brotherly relation that Momo and Appa had. xD

Now, for my crack pairing: Korra and Tahno. They've had their moments...

Encyclopika

The Queen
LMAO - I've seen lots of people shipping KorraXTahno, so you're not alone, watericedragon. :p I think its funny.

To answer my own question, Borra is my LoK OTP. Perfect ship - I'm 90% sure it'll happen. Only 90% because, for now, it looks like they've dropped all shipping except Masami. But who knows. Apparently we're getting a "doozy" of an episode this coming Saturday, so I hope to discuss it with you guys. :D

To be honest, I saw Makorra at first in episode 2. But by episode 3 and 4, and then of course 5, it was plain to see (for me) that Borra was the way to go. The way the ship flows is so natural, and the two of them compliment each other so well. :) I hope to see more of this ship in coming episodes! :3
I also like Masami a lot - episode 7 will pave the way for the ship to mature a lot more beyond mushy lovey-dovey crap. :p

watericedragon said:
I agree with Hot Limit. I really like the idea of Lin and Tenzin being in a relationship in the past. Who would have thought? They are like complete opposites. I believe it was because of Pema that they broke up. A name for it should be Linzin. xD
I think Tenzin said that by the time Pema said anything, he and Lin were already drifting apart. I don't blame Pema all the way, even though Lin might. :p I'll add this to the shipping list.

Last edited:

Hot Limit

Well, now I'm liking Bolin and Asami, along with Mako and Asami. UGH! Why do they have to make these pairings so good that I'd be fine if any one of them happened? Seriously. Well, after the recent episode, I'm now leaning towards Mako and Korra again. xD I find it funny how my preference changes after every episode.

Last edited:

Encyclopika

The Queen
I feel like the only fan that's not okay with any ship but the one I'm on. I suppose I'm too serious a shipper. XD
I don't agree with Makorra for the simple fact that I just don't see any substance. Now, I may have liked Contestshipping that shares a few elements with it, however, the age differences of the two ships cuts those ties. Mako and Korra are old enough that the bickering thing isn't too attractive, especially when there are calmer, more functional ships involving them (Borra and Masami).
Seeing Masami deteriorating because Ikki had go a tell Asami Korra's feelings is horrible, especially when it was Korra that pushed Mako away towards Asami in the first place just last episode.
And in comparison with Borra, Makorra seems so incredibly FORCED it's kind of unbearable for me to watch it become steadily more probable in terms of number of "hints", which, I believe, aren't any more important than the ones for Borra in recent memory. :/ Oh well...

WinterStarlight

Let us eat!
Okay so I'm not the only KorraxTahno shipper. I'm not alone.

My interest in Makorra is slowly fading away. Like Encyclopika mentioned, it seems sort of forced recently. I'm going to be sticking with my two favorite pairings from now on: Borra and Masami. In the latest episde it seems like Makko has more feelings for Korra or he's just super worried for her. But I'm sure he would have acted the same way if it was Asami instead of Korra. For now, I just want Makko to get things settled in his head. He can't date someone while liking someone else at the time. Asami has every right to be worried about her relationship. She has been informed that Korra likes Makko, that they both kissed, and that Makko might still have potential feelings for Korra. The whole Korra x Makko x Asami love triangle is so complicated. I still have hope for Borra though. They just go well together like peanut butter and jelly on toast. Although Bolin seemed to have gotten over it, I believe he still has some feelings for her deep inside.

Well, we just have to wait until the next one hour long episode comes out.

I have a topic question:
Shipping wise, what do you think might occur during the season finale episode coming up?

Last edited:

Encyclopika

The Queen
watericedragon said:
Although Bolin seemed to have gotten over it, I believe he still has some feelings for her deep inside.
I still think he does too. I've been rolling around the idea in my head that he uses humor to de-stress when he's frightened, upset, etc. His "I don't think it meant anything" line about the kiss wasn't convincing to me. To me, it looked like he was trying to spare everyone, especially Asami. It's so sad - I hope his character development in the second season is great. Bryke said it would be. :/
But Mako being all mama bear about Korra was just so...painful to watch. It was so forced, I just can't. Mako is so much more smooth when he's with Asami. And I don't think he would have acted like that if another team member got kidnapped...because Bolin, his baby brother, got kidnapped by Equalists, and he didn't flip half as much **** to find him. He was kinda just angry at him. But I suppose now the Equalists are viewed more dangerously than they were in episode 3...

Shipping wise, what do you think might occur during the season finale episode coming up?
I'm bracing myself for a Masami meltdown, though, despite everything that's happened, maybe they can work it out. I'm sure there will be more "heart-felt" Makorra, but maybe Borra will make a come back somewhat.
As far as individual characters: I'm hoping for Mako to redeem himself (since he was such a jerk in episode 9), Bolin for some character development. Asami, I have no idea. It would suck if she switched sides, because that's just bad writing - she's been nothing but nice; doing a 180 now would just be...awful. And I want Korra to go into the Avatar State - and then Bolin can snap her out of it and she realizes he's been there for her all along and Borra becomes more plausible than ever...yes. However, looking at the previews, I think...I actually think Korra might lose her bending!

And I read on Tumblr a few days ago a very interesting theory. I forgot the person's name, but they believe that Amon's ability to take bending away actually isn't permanent, but rather, it's not known of in this time period. They think that all Amon is actually doing is blocking chakras, and because everyone is so out-of-balance spiritually, they don't know about this, and perhaps Aang will help Korra open her chakras back up and regain her bending to kick Amon's butt. /off-shipping, but whatever.

WinterStarlight

Let us eat!
I still think he does too. I've been rolling around the idea in my head that he uses humor to de-stress when he's frightened, upset, etc. His "I don't think it meant anything" line about the kiss wasn't convincing to me. To me, it looked like he was trying to spare everyone, especially Asami. It's so sad - I hope his character development in the second season is great. Bryke said it would be. :/
That's a really interesting idea. I didn't think about it like that before, but I agree completely. Bolin seems to play a role of a mediator more than anything right now. Many people say he's only a comic relief character, but I really do hope he has some character development later on.

After seeing the latest episode, it's pretty obvious that Mako and Asami might potentially break up. I actually feel sorry for Korra since she has no clue what's going on between them at the moment. Anyways, I feel like Mako will mostly stay near Korra and distance himself from Asami for a while. Seeing Iroh gave me an idea that maybe Asami could get closer to him causing Mako to feel slightly jealous. I also want Mako to redeem himself and understand he can't keep living like this. He needs to make up his mind and fast. I really want to see some more Borra interaction. I feel like Bolin has been put to the side for a while now. I want to see him and Korra doing some buttkicking together for a change. Just the two of them. Now concerning the Equalists, I feel like they may kidnap Asami at the end for Hiroshi Sato. At least that will be something for the new Team Avatar to do for the next book. It could also bring out some Masami hints and probably Borra hints as well since Mako will most likely be worried for Asami.

However, looking at the previews, I think...I actually think Korra might lose her bending!

And I read on Tumblr a few days ago a very interesting theory. I forgot the person's name, but they believe that Amon's ability to take bending away actually isn't permanent, but rather, it's not known of in this time period. They think that all Amon is actually doing is blocking chakras, and because everyone is so out-of-balance spiritually, they don't know about this, and perhaps Aang will help Korra open her chakras back up and regain her bending to kick Amon's butt. /off-shipping, but whatever.
That's a very interesting theory. I also thought Korra might lose her bending until I remembered that the only way you can take someone's bending is if your energy overpowers the other just like what Aang had to do to Firelord Ozai. Korra might find out about this from Aang and be able to overthrow Amon when he tries to take away her bending. I do think that Amon can take people's bending away because I feel like he is one of those "special" people that Sokka mentioned about. Either this, that theory you mentioned, or Mako just saves Korra since he seems like the only one in the room besides Amon and Korra. :p

Hello everyone! Just introducing myself, I'm Emily. XD Proud Makorra shipper (but only because I want Bo Lin for myself...)

So, it seems Mako's off the market, and Asami's back on. Now, next season is still kinda hazy, but we know that all our characters are making a comeback and a bunch more are added. My questions:

What do you think are the chances of Mako and Korra permanently breaking up? Think there's much chance for Bo Lin to win Korra back over next season?

PokeMaster366

Hello everyone! Just introducing myself, I'm Emily. XD Proud Makorra shipper (but only because I want Bo Lin for myself...)

So, it seems Mako's off the market, and Asami's back on. Now, next season is still kinda hazy, but we know that all our characters are making a comeback and a bunch more are added. My questions:

What do you think are the chances of Mako and Korra permanently breaking up? Think there's much chance for Bo Lin to win Korra back over next season?

Odds do seem pretty high that Mako and Korra will break up when you consider how quickly the relationship started and Mako's own indecisiveness (there's a reason why it's called reckless love, after all). Now that I think about it, Mako never really did mention why he loves Korra so much, so that could cause tension.

Then, eventually, someone's probably going to bring up the idea of what could happen if the Avatar went bad, which could be very likely to the public eye when you consider how reckless Korra is and the fact that she, a 17-year old girl who destroys entire blocks in a simple streetfight, has access to the Avatar state. If this sort of bad publicity goes around and Mako doesn't do a lot to defend her, this could be the perfect chance for Bolin to grow a beard (it's a trope) and some balls and show how much he cares for her.

Innocentmercy

I do love a little Makkorra and Iroh/Asami shipping.

I have to admit that the love triangle between Mako/Korra/Asami is pretty wierd. Before, it makes me feel that Mako is a two-timer with Korra and Asami.
However at the end of season 1 they had to confess their love for each other.

I wonder how will they explain this to Asami? Or might as well they just kept it a secret XD

WinterStarlight

Let us eat!
As much as I want Bolin to be with Korra, it looks like it probably won't happen since he gets a new love interest in Book 2.

I don't think Bryke will break up Mako and Korra. Though I feel like the whole confession thing was kind of early and that their whole relationship was sort of rushed. I do understand that they did have a limit of 12 episodes though.

I feel like when Korra left with Naga to be by herself, that's when Mako broke up with Asami and then went off to find Korra enter the Avatar state. So basically for me, I believe Mako and Asami broke up officially off screen.

My two OTPs got crushed, but I will still ship Masami and Borra forever. <3
To be honest, I'm starting to really like Irosami(Iroh/Asami). xD

ScourgeOfHell

As much as I want Bolin to be with Korra, it looks like it probably won't happen since he gets a new love interest in Book 2.

I don't think Bryke will break up Mako and Korra. Though I feel like the whole confession thing was kind of early and that their whole relationship was sort of rushed. I do understand that they did have a limit of 12 episodes though.

I feel like when Korra left with Naga to be by herself, that's when Mako broke up with Asami and then went off to find Korra enter the Avatar state. So basically for me, I believe Mako and Asami broke up officially off screen.

My two OTPs got crushed, but I will still ship Masami and Borra forever. <3
To be honest, I'm starting to really like Irosami(Iroh/Asami). xD

Heyyyy, You watch Korra too. Great.
How can you not like Makorra o_O
I mean, I know the writers practically slammed Makorra into the viewer's faces, since like episode 2, but there is a good reason for that :/

To me, Masami was doomed to fail from the start. It was pretty obvious Asami was a distraction at best. Not that I like her, but she's too.......>What's the word? Generic?
Typical, non-standard rich girl, turned badass
Although I do feel sorry for her, what with her loosing both Mako and her father in the same few weeks

shinymankey

Crobat Master
Ohmigosh! So glad someone made this. I love LoK and ATLA. My favorite shipping are Korroh and Makorra. <3

Encyclopika

The Queen
Yay, my thread has lived! XD

Very high. In case some of you haven't heard, we are getting not only Book 2, but also Books 3 and 4 - so they have all the time in the world to show us Makorra isn't lasting into the long run. Considering how much Bryke liked showing us a drama-filled love plot, I can't see them being stagnant in order to keep Makorra going. They've demonstrated that they are telling the story, and we gotta either take it or leave it, so no, I don't think Makorra's fanbase will stop an endeavor like this.

"Bolin's new love interest" is curious, as we have been told it will be "bizarre". Many people think (seeing from tumblr, mind you) that this new love interest will actually be a spirit, so again, I don't see this lasting either. BUT! I'm one of those shippers that ships Bolin with Happiness, so whatever this new love interest holds, I'm going in with an open-mind.

Anything can happen and it's obvious Bryke wants to take us on a roller coaster ride of feels.

Where do I start? I apologize for the following paragraphs, but Mako himself isn't really my favorite character right now. With the way Bryke wrote him, not only did he come off as a two-timer, but also greedy (which, doesn't really fit with his backstory, but whatever). Makorra, IMHO, is a shallow relationship based on lust and built upon tension, lies, and disrespect. I say shallow and lust, because both base their attraction for the other on physical prowess, not to mention Mako didn't seem to care about Korra until he found out she was the Avatar. I say tension because of the obvious. This trait might be attractive in a ship if it didn't have the other negative qualities. I say lies, because Mako kept secrets from Asami, then lied about not knowing what she was talking about, and to top it all off, got mad at Bolin for telling her about his infedelity. I say disrespect because not only did Korra not have the common decency to respect Mako and Asami's relationship (initiating a kiss with a taken man, though she gets points back for telling Mako to go comfort Asami in episode 7.) but Mako also didn't have the common courtesy to let his younger brother pursue the girl of his dreams (which was made oh so obvious to him time and time again). I don't think Makorra is a relationship to praise, nor pursue IRL, from my own personal experience being an Asami.
Writing-wise, I feel as though this love-arc completely soaked up time away from more important themes the first season was trying to convey, and personally left me asking why, considering how rushed it ended up being, despite that fact. Many characters were shoved to the sidelines (Bolin mostly, and everyone in episode 9(?)), stained (Mako & Korra) or completely screwed over (Asami) so that Makorra could work. From a writer's POV, this just...isn't good writing. :( Especially when you showcase two other, healthier ships alongside it (Borra & Masami).
I'm sorry, I'm strictly not a Makorra shipper, and funny enough, I actually have a better reason than "this character is better off with this one". I'm sorry for the rant, but I really had to let you know, man, really had to let you know. I fully respect your choice in ship though. Everyone has different reasons to like or dislike a ship.

Last edited:

BlueDragonfangirl

Heyyyy, You watch Korra too. Great.
I mean, I know the writers practically slammed Makorra into the viewer's faces, since like episode 2, but there is a good reason for that :/

To me, Masami was doomed to fail from the start. It was pretty obvious Asami was a distraction at best. Not that I like her, but she's too.......>What's the word? Generic?
Typical, non-standard rich girl, turned badass
Although I do feel sorry for her, what with her loosing both Mako and her father in the same few weeks

I didn't ship Masami or Makorra, lets have a look at Mako for that reason. I admit, I'm an anti Mako fan and refuse to pair him with any one till I see hes changed for the better.
I ship Korroh {Korra/Iroh 2.0} The most, writers won't allow me to sucks to be Korra shippers.
I'm more into Bolin pairings at the moment. hes a sweet guy and should get some one who respects him and loves him back. I used to like Borra till yah know but friendship is still cute and I hope we see more friendship moments in season 2.
Bosami is another pairing I'm liking right now if he gets with some one, I don't know if I want him with some one who was with his bro though.

Mister Melancholy

Valetshipping ♥
I was Bolin/Korra since the beginning, and even after the events of the season finale, I'm still a crew on the Borra ship. I also have a soft spot for Asami/Korra and Iroh/Korra because what little interactions they had were adorable; and I crack ship Lin/Iroh, just to let my Toph/Zuko obsession live on.

Status
Not open for further replies.