• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Legend of Korra

HoennMaster

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
The Legend of Aang isn't the series name. It's the Last Airbender.

It's called The Legend of Aang in Europe, which is a better name for the series in my opinion.

People seem to want a mirrored version of Avatar the Last Air Bender.

No one said that.

It just the writing isn't good as The Legend of Aang.

Remember The Legend of Korra is a sequel of The Legend of Aang and needs to live up the quality of standard that The Legend of Aang so far it hasn't been doing that.

Take the nostalgia goggles off.

Hardly The Legend of Aang isn't that old yet to be considered nostalgic.

Furthermore as much I like The Legend of Aang I can admit that it has it flaws such as;

- Not making it clear that Katara and Sokka's mother was dead.
- Not making it clear if Jet had died or not.
- Not fully explaining what happen to Zuko's mother and it had to be followed up in a comic.
- Aang's Avatar State being mishandled.
- Azula sudden metal breakdown.

But despite these flaws The Legend of Aang was still pretty good.

jshperz

It's called The Legend of Aang in Europe, which is a better name for the series in my opinion.

Furthermore as much I like The Legend of Aang I can admit that it has it flaws such as;

- Not fully explaining what happen to Zuko's mother and it had to be followed up in a comic.

I think the bolded parts are supposed to be for the watcher to think about. It would've be boring if they showed us a scene where a character said "he/she died." I actually think that the scene with Jet was flawless. His friend saying "he's going to be okay" and Toph detecting it to be a lie was wise, in my opinion anyway.

Otherwise, I think The Legend of Aang and The Legend of Korra are very different, yet they're both very good. I like The Legend of Korra more, however, because of the fast pacing and a very menacing antagonist (A person who can bend all four elements against a fire bender isn't the fairest match). But I love both. :)

Janovy

Banned

TsukiMirage

Rikudou Master
I think the writing of The Legend of Korra is great, aside from maybe the shipping and even that isn't so bad. The problem is that The Legend of Aang had 61 episodes to tell a story, while The Legend of Korra only had originally 12 episodes, so it's plot had to be moved much faster then it's predecessors.

charizardfan

Remember The Legend of Korra is a sequel of The Legend of Aang and needs to live up the quality of standard that The Legend of Aang so far it hasn't been doing that.
Avatar: The Last Airbender had three seasons, and twenty episodes a season, to tell its story. The Legend of Korra has one season for the entire Equalist storyline, and twelve episodes for it. You can't expect Korra to match the original when it doesn't even get the same amount of time to develop plots or characters. It should also be noted Airbender doesn't even hit its stride until its second season and its first real outstanding episode didn't come until the show was already twelve episodes in. As a whole, even with its issues (the constant teen drama), The Legend of Korra's first ten episodes blow the first ten episodes of Airbender away.

Last edited:

Gelatino95

Not a tool
To be honest it doesn't get any better.

The writing is all over the place and rushed at time since at it moves at a slow pace then it moves at a fast pace with characterisation that come out of nowhere like Korra suddenly falling in love with Mako in episode three despite the fact she only met him for the first time in episode 2 whereas Aang was properly built up and became clear in episode 14.

Plus some of the character, aside from Tenzin, aren't really that interesting and in some case *coughBolincough* are just carbon copy of characters from The Legend of Aang .

And the pro bending match along with the name "Team Avatar just doesn't win me over.

It just doesn't have the same level of writing and drama as The Legend of Aang.

I can already see some of this happening in the first few episodes

The thing I really don't like is how the series started right in the middle of the story rather than having some sort of momentous event to kick off the series. Korra is just sort of there. And the thing that bothers me even more is that there's no clear-cut conflict for far too long. The conflict is supposed to drive the story but there is none

I have to agree that the previous series was far better. Pretty much all the negatives I just touched upon were done right in Legend of Aang

Janovy

Banned
The thing I really don't like is how the series started right in the middle of the story rather than having some sort of momentous event to kick off the series. Korra is just sort of there. And the thing that bothers me even more is that there's no clear-cut conflict for far too long.
What do you expect from a 12-episode season?

The conflict is supposed to drive the story but there is none
Are you sure you're watching the right series? Korra is all about conflicts. -.-

Seriously, at which episode are you currently?

I have to agree that the previous series was far better. Pretty much all the negatives I just touched upon were done right in Legend of Aang
And I think there lies your problem. Korra =/= A:TLA.

You can't expect to enjoy this series when you keep comparing every single aspect of it with its predecessor.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I think the writing of The Legend of Korra is great, aside from maybe the shipping and even that isn't so bad. The problem is that The Legend of Aang had 61 episodes to tell a story, while The Legend of Korra only had originally 12 episodes, so it's plot had to be moved much faster then it's predecessors.

The shipping stuff is my least favorite part of this series to be honest. I was never very fond of it in the original Avatar series either. It's strange because this is supposed to be a show for kids, but there are love triangles involved which seem to throw the story off a bit. The lack of real training is something else that has bothered me recently.

deathseer

Oh, u mad bro?
Legend of Korra still hasn't won me over. The shipping is sort of a big reason for it, but the writing feels clunky sometimes as well. And aside from Tenzin, most of the main cast is pretty bland and boring. Korra often times just feels like a total bore and sometimes can be annoying and unlikeable for me. I've already stated my opinion on Mako. Bolin is tolerable, sort of like Sokka but not nearly as funny. And Asami has potential, but so far all she is, is a tease as far as writing goes. Will she betray Team Avatar because of Mako and Korra? Is she really okay with Mako kissing Korra? Will she join the Equalists?

Not liking it as much as liked the original, but I still think its an okay show.

TsukiMirage

Rikudou Master
The shipping stuff is my least favorite part of this series to be honest. I was never very fond of it in the original Avatar series either. It's strange because this is supposed to be a show for kids, but there are love triangles involved which seem to throw the story off a bit. The lack of real training is something else that has bothered me recently.
Yeah, the shipping can get annoying at times. But at least the shipping is better then some that I've had to endure. And I actually enjoyed seeing fans fight over their favorite pairings, it's been funny.

The lack of airbending training is interesting, especially with the ease in which she learnt the other three, which is why I'm thinking that whatever is giving Korra trouble on the spiritual side will be revealed in the finale and afterwards Korra likely won't have any problems airbending.

Izanagi

'Sup!
Like the post above have already said the shipping may be a bit annoying but it is tolerable. I liked show maybe not as much as the original but I believe that it can hold it own. I liking the animation and I like where the story is heading and here's hopefully the finale won't mess it up.

Gelatino95

Not a tool
And I think there lies your problem. Korra =/= A:TLA.

You can't expect to enjoy this series when you keep comparing every single aspect of it with its predecessor.

No, I mean I actually don't like the series on its own

I don't care how it compares to anything else

I'm only comparing the two because they're easy to compare

Are you sure you're watching the right series? Korra is all about conflicts. -.-

Seriously, at which episode are you currently?

I'm a couple episodes into the series but I haven't yet seen a solid central conflict that the story revolves around. If there's no central conflict, then it's just sort of all over the place with these multiple conflicts you allude to

ChedWick

To each his own but considering its an American cartoon and the whole series they play to the tune of the Avatar being the last air bender, I'm going to have to go with the original title.

No one said that.

No one has to say it. Its painfully obvious; not just here either.

It just the writing isn't good as The Legend of Aang.

Yea and also remember the A:TLAB didn't exactly start off great either. The dialog was awkward, the voice acting was iffy, the story was layed out well but was quite eh to start. It really wasn't until the end of the first book that it really flourished.

Case in point.
Aang awakes from a 100 year cryostasis after running away and is all happy go lucky wanting to travel the world and ride penguins. To him he just ran away from home and got trapped in a storm. He should be devastated that he is being forced to leave Monk Gyatso and all of his friends.

Hardly The Legend of Aang isn't that old yet to be considered nostalgic.
The Last Air Bender Book 3 ended nearly 4 years ago, thats plenty long enough. Besides, nostalgia does not have some set time frame before it clouds ones judgement.

Really, those are your flaws...

-It's a kids show. It seemed pretty clear to me she was dead. Maybe not at the start of the series but it was most certainly addressed
- Again its a kids show and again it was pretty evident that he wasn't walking away from that.
- I was upset that it wasn't fully addressed until later but its not like they just forgot about her and then threw her back at you like "oh remember this chick"
-I'm afraid I don't follow on this one.

-This makes perfect sense to me as well. All her life Azula was in control of everyone around her. Her only real weakness, which we saw a sign of, was her mother. Then all of a sudden her two 'best friends' betray her and her father practically dismisses her. The complete mental breakdown seems pretty fitting.

Right and while TLOK has its flaws, it's shaping up to be pretty good as well. Not a mirrored sequel but its own continuation of the Avatar universe. It could very well come crashing down but its really too early to tell. I will say this, if they just ended the conflict with Tarrlok with Amon taking his bending, I'll be pissed. That would be enough to knock a few points off my overall rating.

I'm a couple episodes into the series but I haven't yet seen a solid central conflict that the story revolves around. If there's no central conflict, then it's just sort of all over the place with these multiple conflicts you allude to

Guess you missed the whole central conflict between benders and non-benders in episode one.

Last edited:

jimmycarry

Really awesome, One of the all time greatest animated show that ever been made. Main thing behind its success is that it is based of action and epic. So its really entertaining for the viewers.

Takeo

It's been stated by the official comics that some Airbenders did escape the genocide, however, they were later tricked and lured into caves where they were killed....although it was said in a much more child friendly way.

I dont care about all your little arguments above, this is what bothers me the most, how can just 1 single airbender live while I assume is thousands die, and the only reason he got to live is because of luck.

ChedWick

I dont care about all your little arguments above, this is what bothers me the most, how can just 1 single airbender live while I assume is thousands die, and the only reason he got to live is because of luck.

Because while the rest of the air benders were hunted down, the '1 single' surviving air bender was frozen at the bottom of the arctic ocean for a 100 years...

Edit [Finale]: Um... I'll admit I'm a bit disappointed in the overall finale. Without saying too much incase of spoilers because it just ended 3 minutes ago for me, I kinda wish it woulda ended right as Korra was standing over the sea crying. Because it didn't, it kinda closes that whole book as a 'book' and not just a chapter.

Last edited: