• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Legend of Zelda Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

PKMNinja

Black Ninja
What is your favorite handheld Zelda?

I really wanna get A Link Between Worlds (I played the demo when Nintendo was at my local mall a few months back, and I enjoyed it), but I feel like I should be playing A Link to the Past first... xD
Well you don't really need to play A Link to the Past to understand the story. It is just kind of cool to see all the references to the original game.

Post Moderation

Invisible Presence
I haven't played a handheld Zelda game yet, but I'm dying to try OoT 3D.

PS. Sorry it's been so long since I was here!

SilverLanayru

It's a mystery.
Well you don't really need to play A Link to the Past to understand the story. It is just kind of cool to see all the references to the original game.
I know what you mean. It's just that it'd be great to understand references from previous games. xP

Anyways, as for Zelda-related things, after finally not being lazy, I just finished my first ever playthough of Wind Waker (the HD one, in my case, since I never owned WW for GC). x.x Probably might try Hero Mode later, if I get extremely bored again.

Minedreigon

A monument to all your sins
Hey people we really need to get activity going so
New Topic:What is you favorite handheld Zelda
Personally I like Oracle of Ages and A Link Between Worlds. Ocarina of Time 3D is a good game also. I have never played the two DS Zelda games. Never played Link's Awakening.

It has to be A Link Between Worlds. All the references, the clever and interesting dungeons, the interesting mechanics, it was an interesting game. Being able to upgrade all my weapons was great. My favourite dungeon in this game was the Dark Palace.

PKMNinja

Black Ninja

Anyways, as for Zelda-related things, after finally not being lazy, I just finished my first ever playthough of Wind Waker (the HD one, in my case, since I never owned WW for GC). x.x Probably might try Hero Mode later, if I get extremely bored again.
Hey that sounds like me, I finally finished my first Wind Waker play through a few weeks ago. I never did own a GameCube so I couldn't get the original. I can't play Hero Modes on any of the Zelda games. I can usually only play a game once and be done. I just can't get myself to play through a game I already know where everything is. (Looking at you A Link Between Worlds.) In my first play through I found everything including the miamias and heart pieces before I reached the last dungeon. The only thing I haven't done, and I don't think this counts for 100%, is getting all the medals in streetpass battles. Those are just impossible to get when you get a streetpass a day during the school year if you're lucky. The person usually doesn't have the game. The only time I got streetpasses for that game was FantasyCon in Salt Lake City. :'(

GravityStorm

Got it memorized?
Hey people we really need to get activity going so
New Topic:What is you favorite handheld Zelda
Personally I like Oracle of Ages and A Link Between Worlds. Ocarina of Time 3D is a good game also. I have never played the two DS Zelda games. Never played Link's Awakening.

I'd have to say Link's Awakening is my favorite handheld Zelda. I think Ocarina of Time 3D and A Link Between Worlds are better games, but for some reason they just don't stick out in my mind as handheld games as much as LA does. Phantom Hourglass was actually my first Zelda game, and while I don't place it in the same league as the other handheld experiences, I did find it to be much more enjoyable than most give it credit for. The only thing I liked about Spirit Tracks was its soundtrack; I never finished that one. I've played the Oracle games a little bit, but not enough to get a full impression. They seem like very good games as well. I think the only other one I've played that I haven't mentioned yet is Minish Cap. Another great game, but not good enough to take my top spot. I think Link's Awakening had fantastic level design, music, story/writing, gameplay, and visuals that all worked incredibly well on the Gameboy/Color Hardware (though I did play it on the 3DS; perhaps it loses something when it has to be played in direct sunlight...). It also felt perfect for on-the-go gaming in quick bursts or long gameplay sessions. Koholint Island felt like one of the best overworlds for exploration. Every area feels like it serves a purpose, and many areas include miniature puzzles that aren't required to beat the game but still feature small rewards. I love when Zelda games do this and think it is something A Link Between Worlds did really well too. Hopefully we'll see more of this puzzle-box-esque design in Zelda U.

Woba Fett

kkkkkklkllmlkmklmlkm
the best handheld zelda is Link's Awakening. It has a whimsical unique feel that makes it stick in your mind long after you play it. Even in a short GB game they make koholint Island a memorable setting. There's no epic fight for the ages but the game is just having fun all the way through. Not enough games today are willing to have that pleasantness. The Oracle games are ok but the over worlds are too maze-like and the dungeons aren't as memorable even if they are a good challenge. Also the random RNG heart pieces suck. Minish Cap tries to cover its lite dungeon content with the overlord but comes off as a poor mans Majora. Again the Heartpiece for all the figurines is crap. The DS games are fun and I don't mind the stylus control, they're good games but not to the level I hold Zelda. LBW has good dungeons and makes most of the items fun to just play around with. The thing for me is the nonlinearity hurts the story, almost nothing happens during the Lorule dungeons, this unevenness is acceptable for a SNES game like LTTP but in 2013 I need more. OoT doesn't count because it's a port of an N64 game.

Minedreigon

A monument to all your sins
If OoT counted, I'd agrue for OoT, but it's a port, so it doesn't count.

Anyway, off topic from that, I got around to beating WW HD on Hero Mode. Not too hard, very enjoyable, I just love WW enough to replay it and not get bored. I also beat LBW in hero mode, which was easy (apart from the early game, everything is a 2HKO :[) but again, very enjoyable.

fitzy909

Just another guy
If OoT counted, I'd agrue for OoT, but it's a port, so it doesn't count.

Anyway, off topic from that, I got around to beating WW HD on Hero Mode. Not too hard, very enjoyable, I just love WW enough to replay it and not get bored. I also beat LBW in hero mode, which was easy (apart from the early game, everything is a 2HKO :[) but again, very enjoyable.

Oh yeah, the start of ALBW's hero mode is very annoying. You have to be ever so careful, because of how much damage everything deals.

Also, best handheld Zelda has to Link's Awakening. The story is very clever and it works to bring a nice atmosphere to the game. The gameplay is solid, I just wish there were two screens to make item switching easier or that the sword could be mapped to its own button.

Last edited:

Sunset Star

The DS Gamer
I stalk Zelda forums, and once I came across a thread about your favourite handheld Zelda. The OP specifically stated that OOT3D didn't count, but someone still said it was their favourtie anyway.
I think the reason why I don't like OOT that much is because ONM practically worshiped it for over a year. They even had a feature about how great Ocarina of Time was, and at the end it said recent Zelda games were betraying OOT for not being realistic... what?

Woba Fett

kkkkkklkllmlkmklmlkm
I stalk Zelda forums, and once I came across a thread about your favourite handheld Zelda. The OP specifically stated that OOT3D didn't count, but someone still said it was their favourtie anyway.
I think the reason why I don't like OOT that much is because ONM practically worshiped it for over a year. They even had a feature about how great Ocarina of Time was, and at the end it said recent Zelda games were betraying OOT for not being realistic... what?

Yeah, OoT is my favorite game of all time but I still hate how every new game is talked like it failed compared to it. I mean Skyward Sword gets dumped on way too much and I think there are great arguments that is even better in many ways. I think when we can finally get over (or ignore) the people who only care about OoT the fandom will be better for it.

Sunset Star

The DS Gamer
I watched Egoraptor's Zelda sequelitis video, but stopped after twenty-odd minutes due to his constant SS-bashing. Thankfully, he's not a rabid OOT fan, and those people don't really exist anymore.

I came across a video about LOZ trivia, but stopped watching it immediately at the second one where the guy said Link was based on Edward Elric. Evidently, Shigeru Miyamoto is a time-traveller.
In all seriousness, though, that part of the video contained a screenshot of an article from a random news website. I'll die laughing if that article was written BEFORE Spirit Tracks was even announced...

00swms

Chaos Theory
The best handheld Zelda game now that a good question, but for that an easy answer honestly. I'll have to say The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap I pretty much remember as if it was yesterday playing it as a young child that had nothing else better other than playing video games. All of this just recently dawned on me of how much I really love this game as a kid from recently buying it on the E-Shop for the Wii U, after being stupid when I was young and selling the game what a huge mistake on my part. Just remember going through the beginning of the game everything is peaceful and calm, but all of sudden when go little toward you get to meet the main antagonist Vaati who quickly captures Zelda turns here into stone, he was more capable than Ganondorf a goal that took him 7 years to finally get her. Fate even took control of Hyrule castle with ease as progress through this game. This game did so many things right when I get to thinking about it.

-00swms

Woba Fett

kkkkkklkllmlkmklmlkm
Hey can I just say I hate Sheik's design in Hyrule Warriors. I know I sound ridiculous but Shiek is just way too feminine, just like in Smash. The whole point of the disguise is to make Ganondof not think it could really be Zelda. It works in OoT because Shiek is androgynous and mysterious but now a days they make the character blatantly female bodied and even include Zelda's long hair. The reason it irritates me is that if she did this in OoT Ganondorf wouldn't have been fooled. I mean Zelda escapes with a Shiekah then a few years later a female Shiekah warrior who looks like Zelda shows up, yeah great disguise. It would be like Link thinking no one could identify him because he wore a red or blue tunic. It just seems nintendo is afraid to have any mulan-esque gender elements in the character and have to make Shiek blatantly girly because gender roles. I know I'm being a bit fan boyish but it feels like the generic tomboy who still has to wear a dress to show the audience she isn't "butch" AKA Lesbian or whatever.

00swms

Chaos Theory
Hey can I just say I hate Sheik's design in Hyrule Warriors. I know I sound ridiculous but Shiek is just way too feminine, just like in Smash. The whole point of the disguise is to make Ganondof not think it could really be Zelda. It works in OoT because Shiek is androgynous and mysterious but now a days they make the character blatantly female bodied and even include Zelda's long hair. The reason it irritates me is that if she did this in OoT Ganondorf wouldn't have been fooled. I mean Zelda escapes with a Shiekah then a few years later a female Shiekah warrior who looks like Zelda shows up, yeah great disguise. It would be like Link thinking no one could identify him because he wore a red or blue tunic. It just seems nintendo is afraid to have any mulan-esque gender elements in the character and have to make Shiek blatantly girly because gender roles. I know I'm being a bit fan boyish but it feels like the generic tomboy who still has to wear a dress to show the audience she isn't "butch" AKA Lesbian or whatever.

Well, you kind of got thinking about it from a designer standpoint. You kind of don't want to use the old design that's been used for a while now that just boring and one thing you'll have remember is everybody knows Shiek is a girl. So with being said, why not have fun with her looks she's in a different game, why not make her look little different to make her stand out with the game.

PKMNinja

Black Ninja
Just a quick question for all of you. How many of your are going to buy Hyrule Warriors? I might not because of the design of the main antagonist. My mom wouldn't let me buy a game with that cloth design with it. Though if I were going to buy it I would buy it from Amazon to get the Twilight Princess DLC.

Zephraxe

Just a quick question for all of you. How many of your are going to buy Hyrule Warriors? I might not because of the design of the main antagonist. My mom wouldn't let me buy a game with that cloth design with it. Though if I were going to buy it I would buy it from Amazon to get the Twilight Princess DLC.

I'm definitely getting it. Also, what cloth design are you talking about?

SilverLanayru

It's a mystery.
I plan to place in my preorder sometime this week. o:
And oooh, I see what you mean about Cia (assuming you're referring to her). Her clothes are a bit scandalous, admittedly. x:

MedMana

Wired, Yet Tired
I'd definitely get it if I had a Wii U. I've played a Dynasty Warriors game in the past, so it wouldn't be hard to get used to. Besides, Lana go the Great Deku Tree Sprout and cuckoos in her repertoire, and the thought of playing as Agitha is pretty dang hilarious.

fitzy909

Just another guy
I'd definitely get it if I had a Wii U. I've played a Dynasty Warriors game in the past, so it wouldn't be hard to get used to. Besides, Lana go the Great Deku Tree Sprout and cuckoos in her repertoire, and the thought of playing as Agitha is pretty dang hilarious.

It looks amazing. all the footage I've seen from people playing the Japanese version is really promising. It looks like it will be really...empowering would be the word...yeah empowering when you tear down an entire legion of enemies with one sword swing or spell. Also, the prospect of playing as Darunia a GORON and Midna is awesome. I can't wait. My pre order is waiting...come on 19th September (for UK).

Status
Not open for further replies.