• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks

R_N

Question for you people who have beat the game: How are the dungeons in comparison to Phantom Hourglass?

I've a friend who's on the ropes but didn't care for PH's dungeons. I need more information for him.

BCVM22

Don't depend on subjective analyses when you need objective evaluations. Head to YouTube and poke around for Spirit Tracks walkthroughs and dungeon runs and the like; the game's been out long enough that you can watch all five dungeons if you want.

R_N

Well that complicates things. It's hard to look at a game walkthrough and not...you know...spoil any puzzles and the like.

Which wouldn't be such a big deal for said friend, since he'd be getting evaluations from me, buuuuut I'd kind of like to keep some details "safe" for myself. It's one thing for knowing a dungeon's theme or item, you know?

Really, what I was looking for, comparison-wise, was, uh "actually has variety beyond super-linear dungeons". Which is objective in and of itself, I suppose...

BCVM22

I'm terrible at evaluating things like that, so the best I can tell you is that none of the dungeons cause the pulling out of any hair and that there's a lot of floor-hopping, i.e. you'll solve a puzzle on the second floor to open a door on the first floor to get a key to open a door on the third floor which will require you to hop back down to the second floor. There's a lot of that - you never finish an entire floor of a dungeon with just one visit.

BCVM22

Despite that, however, the dungeons are fairly short as Zelda titles go - 45 minutes to an hour of play time each, maximum - and there are only five of them. I wouldn't let it affect your purchase decision, and again, if you're really that concerned, go look up some video runthroughs and see for yourself. It's not as if watching a dungeon run is going to spoil the game for you aside from the item for each dungeon.

Selfdestruct Togepi

Fangirls Beware!
Here's another thong we can discuss, the train parts.

I've already got the complete set of the skull and wooden train parts, and I've bought the golden engine piece. What do you have as your train?

BynineB

Wielding Übersaw.
Zelda titles on the same hardware sharing the same engine and similar features? How dare they?! Someone needs to launch an investigation into this.

I nominate you. Go, find out what you can and report back.

Oracle of Time.. Oracle of Seasons..

OH MY GOD THEY'RE ON THE SAME ENGINE!

Next POKEMON will be on the same engine! Brrrrrr....

Also, are the trains customizable?

HERLS

LOLOLOL
As far as dungeons go, they vary. The Forest Temple is short and uncreative, the Ice Temple is longer, and more creative, the Water Temple has some good ideas going on and is quite long, and the last few dungeons are real brain-teasers at odd points, at least in comparison to recent Zelda games. Overall, I suppose you could say it starts out with short and easy dungeons ala Phantom Hourglass, but gets harder down the line; that is to say, I've actually died more than once in the dungeons, more than I can say about Phantom Hourglass. The real brain-teaser is the Tower Of Spirits. Each section of the tower is like a self-contained dungeon, and though I've never died there, the actual puzzles will make you think way more than any of the ones in Phantom Hourglass, Twilight Princess or Minish Cap.

Tl;dr it's harder, dungeon-wise, than the last few games, but probably still easier than OOT and MM dungeons. They are pretty creative dungeons though, so even if you're a pro you'll enjoy them.

Murton

Once you were lost.
I'm terrible at evaluating things like that, so the best I can tell you is that none of the dungeons cause the pulling out of any hair and that there's a lot of floor-hopping, i.e. you'll solve a puzzle on the second floor to open a door on the first floor to get a key to open a door on the third floor which will require you to hop back down to the second floor. There's a lot of that - you never finish an entire floor of a dungeon with just one visit.
I disagree. The part of the tower below the altar (the last time you go to that tower) had me hopping between floors between the dark floor, the floor with the three doors that open with Small Keys, and the two floors or something between them. They were hell.

BCVM22

Well, it's the conclusion of the game's central, unifying dungeon... did you think they were just going to let you possess a Phantom and waltz through?

Also, kudos to this game on some fun and inventive boss fights, particularly in the Fire and Sand Temples.

HERLS

LOLOLOL
Well, it's the conclusion of the game's central, unifying dungeon... did you think they were just going to let you possess a Phantom and waltz through?

Also, kudos to this game on some fun and inventive boss fights, particularly in the Fire and Sand Temples.

The bosses were definately fun, creative and even, dare I say, challenging (compared to PH and TP at least), but they just don't feel nearly as unique and creative as Phantom Hourglass's dungeon bosses, like the Gongoron one and those Ghost sisters. I suppose it's to be expected, since PH was just an experimentation of the DS's capabilities in comparison to ST which was just improving on an already established engine, but compare Dongorongo to the ST fire boss and suddenly a big hulking stone creature looks boring. Compare Skeldritch/Capbone to Eox, and I'd take Eox any day. Phantom Hourglass is a subpar Zelda game in my opinion, in comparison to other recent Zelda's, but as far as the amount of dungeons and the dungeon bosses goes, I'd sat that's the one area where PH outshines ST.

But that's just me. To each his own, right?

Murton

Once you were lost.
No, of course not. And I'm really not negative about that part, I just said it was hard. Doesn't take away the fact you hop from floor to floor.

No objections there. The Fire Temple boss was just awesome (am I by the way the only one who thought this bossfight was rather short for such a gigantic magma-guy? Nevermind...), and the Sand Temple boss had me really flustered as it was the first boss in ST that made me die.

jellsprout

The bosses were all pretty obvious. For most of them I already guessed before I entered the boss room how I should beat them. Still, they were decent enough. But the only one I thought was a bit challenging was the Fire Temple guy.

My personal problem with this game was the length. With only 5 dungeons (6 if you count the Tower) and only small fetchquests between them, the game is very short. Especially if you are told exactly where to go to at each moment in the game.

BCVM22

There are a hell of a lot sidequests, though. There are 20 recorded Force Gems total and you receive... what, 1? 2? of them as a matter of course through the required gameplay? That's a truckload - trainload? - of side material to complete if that's your bag.

mitchman_93

AND IT WAS THIS BIG!
And the stations aren't only random towns and such, there are also nice mini-dungeons for your own pleasure. From what I hear of course.

jellsprout

Most of these Force Gems are gotten simply by transporting stuff. Most of them don't give you anything besides a new warp place either.
And with Heart Containers instead of Heart Pieces, the side quests are fewer than in other Zelda games too.

Dragonite19

Dragonite Fan
Music
[SPOIL]I love the music for this game! I especially enjoy the music for the train fight against Malladus. Its got this sort of impending doom feel to it, yet is still epic at the same time![/SPOIL]

Last edited: